DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Vampire Saga: Break Out

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 11, 12 1:06 AM
Hi there,
Having enjoyed the first two (Pandora's Box and Welcome to Hell Lock), I trialled this from the dev's site, but actually decided to wait until this game was released here to use a PCC as it was not a CE.
There was some disgruntlement "elsewhere" about the re-use of the scenes from Hell Lock, but it didn't particularly bother me as the premise for this game was a follow-up to that instalment and I supposed that it would/should at least begin where the other ended.
It was very similar to the others in the series, but I noted that I wanted to continue my Vampire Saga when my first trial finished.
Well, game DL'd and installed. Off to play.
Cheers
ETA: Oops I forgot to mention that one of the different hooks for me was the circular or pop-up HOS scenes - a big plus for me.

Edited on 04/11/2012 at 2:26:35 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Comments for Vampire Saga: Break Out

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 11, 12 1:32 AM
I've demo'd this game but I'm a bit on the fence about it. I like the HO scenes where you have to collect a number of items to get the one you want - the bubble effect. However when you need a number of a particular item i.e. 6 sugar cubes (I think it was 6) you have to literally click-move-click for each one. In a game I played recently it let you collect all six into your inventory and then it was a single move of all into the bubble. However, ideally, I would love if you could just click on an item and it jumped into the bubble rather than click-move-click.

I've just started playing Pandora's Box, then I'll play Welcome to Hell Lock before I decide on this one.

I note the title of the 2nd one is Hell Lock whereas the place you visit in this sequel is Hill Lock. Just a typo in the title of the second one?

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Apr 11, 12 2:11 AM
I recently played the 'V' games on my GM. I didn't like either one in this series. Had to force myself to finish them. I'll probably demo this one, but only because this one had the pop up circles, I like those, but i'm not expecting to like this game

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Apr 11, 12 2:15 AM
No Hill Lock and Hell Lock are different. You will see that later in the game. I thought the same thing myself at first.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 11, 12 2:24 AM
What enormous hidden objects! I did not know whether to laugh or just be grateful. I too am desperate for something new, since we no longer get a CE on Sunday, so I have bought it.

While I am not overly enthusiastic about it, it has no negatives so far. The graphics are good but gloomy, but we were warned about it all taking place in derelict buildings. Not much of a vampire fan but hey, vampires, ghosts, demons. All much of a muchness. Puzzles are really easy. Hint button is very helpful. There is a WT if I get truly stuck, which doesn't seem very likely, at this stage anyway.

I like that once finished with a location and moved on, it is not necessary to return. That precludes the frustration of getting hopelessly lost, or having loads of inventory items and not being able to remember where they are needed.

I think it will be an ok game that will not take very long nor be very exciting, but will help to pass the time. Very often when I say this after a demo, my review is more upbeat on completion, so I remain hopeful.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 11, 12 2:30 AM
Hi Sheerija,
LOL regarding your comment on the enormous hidden objects - but as usual I miss the one directly on front of my face.
I agree that the game has a somewhat gloomy atmosphere - but I am more "gloomy" over the fact that I am stuck at the same stage that I was on the first trial.
I will figure it out after evening sustenance.
Cheers.

Edited on 04/11/2012 at 2:33:52 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 11, 12 3:40 AM
Had to come back in and say that this game, once again, definitely gets better after the demo. While there is a sense of Deja Vu in relation to the prequels, it is a pretty good game nevertheless.

Much happier now and enjoying it.

Just wanted to say that, in case my previous comments put people off, as does happen sometimes.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 11, 12 3:57 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi Sheerija,
LOL regarding your comment on the enormous hidden objects - but as usual I miss the one directly on front of my face.
I agree that the game has a somewhat gloomy atmosphere - but I am more "gloomy" over the fact that I am stuck at the same stage that I was on the first trial.
I will figure it out after evening sustenance.
Cheers.

That hint button is extremely helpful so you won't be stuck for long.

Enjoy.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 11, 12 4:53 AM
I like this game. I have the 2 other games of Vampire. I was desperate too. The last game I bought was the last CE.

I saved a lot of money.

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Apr 11, 12 6:42 AM
I only played the demo and enjoyed the trial very much. The graphics are clear and the HOs were easily completed. The story line is familiar - vampires, ghosts, ect...
I did get stumped a few times, used hint button, which does show you were to go when not in a HO. Big Fish does have a walk through on the website, which is very helpful. I did use the walk through a few times.
The game is fun and I will probably buy this in the future.
I am going to see if there is a CE for this game as I prefer a CE for the added game bonus and SG. If the CE does not contain more game play, I will buy this single edition.
Keep up the great work Big Fish. You sure do keep the little fishes happy!
Vallarina

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Apr 11, 12 6:45 AM
I did check to see if there was a CE for this game, and did not find one. Therefore I believe I will purchase this single edition. Thanks again
Vallarina

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 11, 12 7:21 AM
Based on the demo I like this game. It is rather gloomy but there appears to be alot to do and so far not too many Hos. The graphics are nice and clear, just the way I like them. The hint refills very quickly. I've only encountered one puzzle so far and it was easy. I have Hell Lock and I think I will like this one as well. It's a buy for me.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Apr 11, 12 8:37 AM
Has anyone been able to get the basketball? I'm starting to feel like a broken record. The backyard tree house HOS scene 1 gives me the oven mit and not the basketball. I've played in 3 different profiles at this point and none of them give me the scene I need. About sick of this now...

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 11, 12 8:46 AM
Liked, not loved the first in the series. Didn't care for all the
hand-holding in the second, so didn't buy. Demo of this didn't
grab me and I hate to play a sequal first, so a no-buy at this time

Have better games to play from recent sale.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 11, 12 10:47 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I'm on the fence about this one, but I had to chime in with one comment: I can just imagine the tourism bureau for a town like Hell Lock. I won't overload the puns, but a few on posters I see in my decidedly-warped mind:

Welcome To Hell Lock: Our Town Sucks!

Have a Hot Time In Hell Lock!

We Live In Hell Lock Because Somebody Lost the Key!

Hell Lock: Come For the Scenery, Stay Because You Are Now Undead!

Oy vey.

LOL. What about Hell Gate Florida, Hell Hole Palms California and Helltown California.. Yup they're actual towns. Oh yeah and about going to Slaughterville, Oklahoma. LOL

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Apr 11, 12 11:13 AM
I played this one from the dev's site a while back, when I dl'd version it offered to let me continue from where I left off on first demo. Unfortunately, I was at the end of chapter five after two hours of playing. Looking at walkthrough after I finished, I see there are 6 chapters I only skipped one mini so I'm thinking this ones a really short game. I'm not usually the one to say they're short but this one I'm afraid would be. Although I did enjoy it even if it is about vampires again I don't feel like spending $6.99 to play for maybe another hour or less.
For those that are playing, enjoy! It is a fun game.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 11, 12 2:37 PM
I bought this one from the developer, and I really thought it was the best of the three. I liked that it continued the story and the familiar scenes emphasized that. I can't remember what I had to do to get the basketball, but there was something...there is a walkthrough on the review site, and it was helpful a couple of times. The hint button was good, so I didn't really get stuck often.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 11, 12 2:54 PM
Again I am with you on this one Wolfen. Was impatient and bought from the devs and I liked this game. I liked that, since it was a continuation of the Hell Lock game, they used the same locations; it made the story coherent. Fun game.

eta: Congrats on your morph Wolfen!

Edited on 04/11/2012 at 2:57:46 PM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 12, 12 12:44 AM
LadyBlue0321 wrote:Has anyone been able to get the basketball? I'm starting to feel like a broken record. The backyard tree house HOS scene 1 gives me the oven mit and not the basketball. I've played in 3 different profiles at this point and none of them give me the scene I need. About sick of this now...

There is a 2nd HOS at the treehouse which is triggered by going back into the garage and collecting the blood sample from the demon you squashed with the engine. If you already have that, try going back to the vending machine, if you have a coin. There's something there you need.

[Post New]by scalpaca on Apr 15, 12 4:50 PM
Sheerija wrote:
LadyBlue0321 wrote:Has anyone been able to get the basketball? I'm starting to feel like a broken record. The backyard tree house HOS scene 1 gives me the oven mit and not the basketball. I've played in 3 different profiles at this point and none of them give me the scene I need. About sick of this now...

There is a 2nd HOS at the treehouse which is triggered by going back into the garage and collecting the blood sample from the demon you squashed with the engine. If you already have that, try going back to the vending machine, if you have a coin. There's something there you need.

I'm can't get the basketball either - only have matches, lighter fluid, pliers and ketchup bottle in inventory - hint button just says there's nothing to do.

Go to: