bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 12, 12 12:22 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 12, 12 12:22 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 12, 12 12:37 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Love the graphics. There are 3 levels of play from easy to challenging. A great game from ERS. I was blown away by the sound quality of this game. What I found interesting were the HOG scenes. They are unique. Without giving away anything in the game, you will find that they are slightly different from what we have seen in the past. A definite buy for me. What has sold me is probably the sound and beautiful graphics in this game. The storyline is interesting as well. One of the best!

Since I am just beginning, I am uncertain of the length, but from the guide it seems to be quite lengthy. The game is easy to navigate as well. The uniqueness of this game is what has me sold.

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 12:39:24 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 12, 12 1:06 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a Journal, but no Map.

There is a Phoenix ring next to the Journal, which you have to use from time to time to get rid of dark magic.

There is widescreen (for those who can get it).

The SG (strategy guide) shows the first 4 chapters, and stays open where you last left it open.

Bonus contents are not visible in the trial version.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) I encountered are all silhouetted, but in a really great and fun way. Also, these HOS are different from what you usually get, and are highly interactive.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes almost a minute to refill in Casual mode.

The graphics are of the usual ERS standards.

I enjoyed the gameplay.

Puzzles can be skipped. The ones I encountered were easy, so I can't say how long the SKIP button takes to fill.

--- --- ---

Because I have been dying for a really wonderful HOG (nothing really great came out after "Dark Strokes), I will make another exception and buy the CE. I am that starved of a good HOG. Besides, there was this cute little mousefairy (or was it a fairymouse?) that did it for me as well.

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 1:18:39 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 12, 12 1:16 AM
As I Beta'd it before, I presume that there will be a lot of "wow"s here - even the wide screen option is fixed...I hope it works... .

Stunning graphics and screens - natural for ERS games... SG remains on the page when you exit and return.

Now to the most interesting issue of the game - the length:

10 chapters - total 50 pages on the SG (the average).
bonus chapter - 15 pages - really above any average until now!)

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Apr 12, 12 1:39 AM
Beautiful graphics, fills my 27 inch screen, ERS, what more can you say. Love it and will buy this one. Thanks devs and for this great game.

Happy Gaming everyone,
Joy

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 12, 12 1:54 AM
Based on the trial:

ERS told of a new game coming that was totally different from their usual style----a real departure from their normal style game that would take adventure games to the "next level"----even to feature professional actors for their characters. This isn't it. Obviously.
Because if these voices are pros, then Actors Equity needs to be informed immediately.

But what differentiates this game from any other ERS game? A new style of HOS that features silhouettes. I'm personally not a fan of silhouettes in any game by any dev but I will give credit to ERS for trying something different here. The silhouettes are laughably easy, though.

As to a couple of other details:
-the voice acting in this game is perhaps the worst I've ever heard. (what happened with that????)
-the puzzles are all re-hashes of puzzles that have been seen many multiples of times.
-graphics are gorgeous.
-the story is a re-hash of themes that have been done before by ERS and many others, and done better.
-there is the usual offering of extras with no clue as to the length of the bonus chapter, but considering how very short ERS bonus chapters are, I wouldn't expect much.
-there is a widescreen choice in the option menu but of course does not work. I've long been disappointed in ERS for not taking care of this programming detail, and continue to be amazed that a dev that can do so much else when it comes to details won't or can't take care of this as so many other devs have shown is possible and doable. With the beauty of their graphics and artwork one can only imagine how jaw-dropping gorgeous their games would be if black bars didn't occupy about one-third of the screen. But I've pretty well given up on ERS taking a leadership role like they did in days gone by.
-there is a strange mirror-like device for shooing away poisonous plants that seems sort of tacked on, but maybe will have more use further in the game.
So it's not quite the rubber stamp, call it in effort that ERS had been falling into, but there is still room for improvement.
For those new to ERS, the game will be a treat (or their fans), and I hope the changes seen here are indicative of moving forward with their casual games. I may be little hard on ERS, but I just know that as a former industry leader and innovator, they can do so much more, and no one would be more pleased than me to see them continue to notch it up some more. (especially that WS)

Overall, the game is nice enough that I will buy it as a run-of-the-mill SE when it is offered if nothing else more interesting is available. Certainly would not pay CE money for it, though.

As always, give it the free test drive that BF provides.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Apr 12, 12 2:25 AM
ERS as usual the graphics are great, intro to game was awesome.

The intro grabbed me more than the demo. Not a fan of image hogs but so far they have been reall easy.

Purchasing this game it has all my favorites in one game lol panthers, pheonix, dragons and little fairy thingies.

Hopefully further into the game the storyline will pick up.

Happy gaming

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 12, 12 2:59 AM
Played 20 minutes, casual mode.

- 3 gameplay modes, casual, advanced, hardcore
- The sample shows only 4 chapters so no idea of the length
- Integrated SG which stays where you leave it
- Notebook
- No map
- Hint button useful outside H0
- Skip button
- Voiceovers
- Good music
- You get a phoenix amulet to get rid of evil symbols
- You interact in more than one way in H0
- Mini games easy (up to what I played)
- Gorgeous graphics
- Good story

Eternal fight between evil forces and good ones but this game is really beautiful. LOL ! Really fell for the little fairy mouse. Will we succed to reunite the prince and the princess.... Superb game, a buy for me.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 12, 12 4:28 AM
Well well, ERS have decided that a change of style might actually be a good thing; wonders will never cease

Graphically this game is simply stunning; what a pity I can't appreciate the effort the designers put into it by having the game completely fill my widescreen monitor. I never let this stop me from buying a game if the rest of it is worth the extra money but when other developers can do it, I can't understand why ERS either can't or won't follow suit.

Still, this game pretty much has everything else I like; have to disagree with cbtx on the voices, as I thought they were pretty good! Lots of places to visit and search, plenty of useful items to find and a real change of style for what the SG refers to as HOP's (hidden object puzzles?). I liked this aspect of the game very much; beats looking for butterflies, horseshoes, hourglasses and the like. And there seemed less searches than is usual with an ERS game.

I think for the first time in many months, this is worth paying the extra money for; not something I say about ERS CE's very often! A definite buy for me

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Apr 12, 12 4:53 AM
great game, bought it before I finished with my trial period.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 12, 12 4:58 AM
cbtx wrote:Based on the trial:

ERS told of a new game coming that was totally different from their usual style----a real departure from their normal style game that would take adventure games to the "next level"----even to feature professional actors for their characters. This isn't it. Obviously.
Because if these voices are pros, then Actors Equity needs to be informed immediately.

But what differentiates this game from any other ERS game? A new style of HOS that features silhouettes. I'm personally not a fan of silhouettes in any game by any dev but I will give credit to ERS for trying something different here. The silhouettes are laughably easy, though.
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 4:19:46 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 12, 12 5:59 AM
Another winner, this game is gorgeous, beautiful graphics, intriguing story.

When it comes to games that takes my breath away I just can no take my eyes of it.

This one is definitely a buy for me.

I have not more to say, just download the demo and be your own judge, I didn't even finished the demo and got to get it for my collection.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 12, 12 8:41 AM
Beautifully designed and executed game with a delight around every corner. Thoroughly enjoyed all 6.5 hours of it. Unique, original, fresh, innovative and highly creative, with wonderful graphics, great story and charming characters. Adored the new style HOS and really appreciated the new mini games too. BC was amazing. Really deserving of it's CE status. Money well spent, player well content.

A very possible winner for game of the year.

Excellent work, devs, you shine in this genre.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 12, 12 9:01 AM
This review is based on the demo version

Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix is a game that started out glowing with the fire of it's pre-release hype, but sadly burned to ashes with no promise of resurrection.

Up front options are standard fare with 3 play modes, and sadly, the hardcore option still doesn't work as stated - black caption hints still happen frquently, (not always) giving instructions and clues.

The developers added a couple of new twists to this game. Some of the HOS are silhouettes and interactive and they are refreshing. (The developer stated in their pre-release info that all of the HOS were new with no lists to be found - sadly, this isn't the case). They also added a jewel with which to find "magic symbols" in some scenes in order to defeat dark magic. However, I found this more tedious than exciting.

But aside from the "new" features, it's the same thing: The graphics are pretty; the color scheme the same (uses the same colors - dark and drab); recycled scene blocks; you go from HOS to HOS (same scene multiple times back to back); puzzle to puzzle (none of them innovative); with nothing of substance in between with little, if any challenge. ( And if you didn't cick on the Help button on the first screen, you missed out on the storyline altogether, save what little was said in the opening cutscene.)

However, I must admit that whoever writes their pre-release info does a great job. Let's get that enthusiasm transferred to development.

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 2:53:58 PM PST

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

Song of the Phoenix Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mrssharon on Apr 12, 12 9:41 AM
Nice enough game, graphics, etc., like most everyone has said. The HOPs are a little different and you have to think about what to do to get the next item in one.

What I really didn't like were the puzzles. Waaaay to easy.

For a CE, it's a pass for me.

tinaccarroll
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by tinaccarroll on Apr 12, 12 9:58 AM

Edited on 04/13/2012 at 12:31:28 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 12, 12 10:34 AM
As usual and as noted the Graphics are gorgeous. This departure from the usual Games by ERS is interesting but it is another magic oriented game which requires some potion making. The Interactive HOS is showing up more and more and I love that. I don't like silhouettes but these are easy to see and figure out.

I had no problem IDing the Dev, it's the same music that all their games have had. It is nice but I hope they will have different music next time or add lyrics so I can sing along.

I had some tech issues which may be a problem at my end. There may be a conflict with my AV and backup system, both which are running in the background. I had some hesitations in gameplay and some jerky curser movement. I have never had these issues in the previous games from this Dev.

I would like to play the whole game but will hold off a bit and see if there is an update for it. Also, it seems that every time I purchase a CE, there is some sort of bargain on the weekend that includes CEs. Rare, but I have twice regretted purchasing CEs because of this. I may wait for the SE.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Apr 12, 12 10:48 AM
Since I have probably only bought one CE since Christmas, I won't be buying this one today. I feel that you really don't lose anything by waiting for the SE version as long as there is a walkthrough released at or about the same time. I don't believe that most CEs are worth twice the price. That being said, I did like this game. I do wish they had put in some standard hog scenese, as I am an avid hog fan. I will, however, be getting it with a gcc or pcc when it comes out as a SE.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Apr 12, 12 11:02 AM
I played the demo hoping I would NOT be excited about this game since money is tight this month. I tried hard not to be drawn in, but ERS and Big Fish have once again given us a winner. I won't say that it is in the top 5 of my all time favorites, but there is something about this game that really makes me want to continue. Yes, it may be a little on the easy side, but it is nice to have a game to relax with and while somewhat easy, it still proposes some challenges.

I should wait for the SE, but my will power is weak. I am sure that when I return from running some errands this game will end up in my library.

The graphics alone make it a contender for the top 50 if not the top 25.

Go to: