bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 15, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Mysteries®: Return to Titanic

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 15, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 15, 12 1:47 AM
This is an interesting looking game involving the Titanic catastrophe and time travel.

So I played the demo, and got hooked.

The graphics are very nice, with nice-looking HOS and puzzles.

And it opens in a widescreen/stretch presentation which more and more devs are doing. Funny, the older Hidden Mysteries do not have the WS feature, but this newer game does. And I didn't have to change a thing to get it. Hmmmm----could it be----PROGRAMMING???? (thanks and kudos to the devs )

At any rate, because I'm an easy mark for anything about the Titanic and because the story took me in and because it's nice to look at with the portals and time-travel, it's a buy for me.

As always, take it for the free test run.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 15, 12 2:31 AM
This review is based on the demo, which I played in Easy mode.

There is widescreen !!

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a Ship's Log (your journal).

Within the Ship's Log you will find a Blueprint (your map).
The map shows you were you are, and where action is needed, but you can't use it to jump.

There is no voice-over.

The HOS (hidden object cenes) have beautiful and clear graphics and images.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes an indecently long time (a minute and a half) to refill in Easy mode.

Mini games can be skipped. SKIP button doesn't take too long to fill.

--- --- ---

I wasn't so sure about the graphics when I had a quick look at the walkthrough, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they are very well done. Smooth, clear, and easy on the eye.

Off to buy this game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 15, 12 2:34 AM
I like Hidden Mysteries games and this one is no exception with its good clear graphics and interesting storyline with the ability to go back in time and move an object to a place where you can easily access it in the future .

There are two modes of play and I chose the hardest which has a click penalty in the hidden object scenes and so being nosy I tried it and found that the cursor looped de loop de loop de loop de loop ... I won't be trying that again in a hurry . The hint button in this mode does take a very very long time to refresh but there is other help available in the form of a map which shows where you are and where there are tasks to be performed which is a big plus , thanks devs .

I don't know how many spirits there are down there in the wreck but I had saved my first ones before hitting the buy button, the others will have to wait until later but at least they won't have to hold their breath while waiting for me to get back to the game .

Have fun everyone, I intend to.

Cherb

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 15, 12 4:21 AM
I know it seems frivilous to enjoy this game on the 100th anniversary of such a tragedy, but I really am enjoying the game. Clear graphics, very interesting story line, and I got quite far before I started wondering if there was a walkthrough available (there is.) For those who like HOPAs but hate the HO parts, I've only run into 2 hidden object scenes in the hour or so that I've played.

I purchased it right away, something I rarely do but I was encouraged by the reviews that were already posted here. I am not disappointed.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Apr 15, 12 7:37 AM
I'm going to have to disagree. I felt that the items were often too small and too well blended with the background (in the deep water HOGs).

The story is quite intriguing though. It's a different twist so that I like. Not an immediate buy for me, but something to consider next month or next sale. I just found those items too irritatingly small.

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Apr 15, 12 8:04 AM
I was determined to dislike this game. It crashed while loading and I had to uninstall and reinstall. (I uninstalled the Phoenix/Dragon game too. Nothing really uninstalls properly, it's a multi-step process for me.)
When I started the game I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it! New puzzles, wide screen (yes I care) and not so much hand holding. I think I'll use my punch card credit to buy and spend this afternoon playing and ignoring the storms headed this way! so far.

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by seeme278 on Apr 15, 12 8:52 AM
Did not enjoy the demo. Game moves too slow. Every pun intended . . . I felt like I was moving through water.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Apr 15, 12 8:55 AM
Perfect game to play in remembrance of the Titanic tragedy. I thought of all the lost souls as I went from deck to deck.

The graphics are sharp and clear. It is a pleasure to be able to have the objects properly identified.

My only is that the map is not interactive when you could jump from location to location and that the hint does not give better information outside of the hos.

I have a coupon waiting and will add this to my growing library.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 15, 12 11:15 AM
I always enjoy the Hidden Mysteries series. I own every one of them and they keep getting better and better.

For all HM fans, this one is truly worthy. Not only is the subject matter timely for the anniversary of the sinking of Titanic, it's beautiful graphically and very well done.

No disappointment found.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Apr 15, 12 12:33 PM
I enjoyed the demo. I also like going back and forth in time, as long as it doesn't get too complicated. It makes the game more interesting IMHO. I didn't find the hog scene items to be too small on my 22" desk top screen. And believe me, there have been some games, where even my large monitor wasn't large enough. I am waiting for a report as to the length of this game, then I will most likely be getting it with a pcc. It's also great that there is already a walkthrough for it on the day it's released....a bonus.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Apr 15, 12 12:42 PM
I almost didn't try this game because the screen shots looked too dark and gloomy. Given that my favorite reviewers gave this game some positive comments, i decided to try it for myself. I'm glad that I did! I own many of the Hidden Mysteries series, and Titanic was one of my favorites. This one has a nice twist; you can go from past to present through a portal and manipulate objects to use in the other time. I found the HO scenes to be well done. In the 4-5 I played thus far, I only used one hint. There is a fair amount of written dialogue to click through (clicking on characters who will talk to you). I wish this game had voiceovers, but hey, you can't have everything. This is a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. I must say though, if I was paying for a first class ticket aboard a ship, I sure wouldn't want to have to find my own light bulb for my cabin!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 15, 12 1:05 PM
I have to say, this game is a very good game. I wasn't going to try it but thought I would give it a try. A sad day 100 years ago for all the people who lost their lives, and hope it never happens again. The HOG are clear and the puzzles fun to solve. Like the storyline going back to try to give people that died a chance to go to the spirit world in peace. It will be a buy for me.. Give it 3 our of 5 stars..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 15, 12 1:49 PM
I like the Hidden Mysteries games and have many of them already. This one is not as challenging, but has nice graphics, nice sound. A little different story line than most, so it was interesting.

Don't care for this type of hint system. When I ask for a hint, give me one. Don't tell me there is nothing to do, I already know that, that's why I need a hint.

I got through the second ghost before my demo ran out, but looks like I have a couple more hours of play. I liked this one enough to use a game credit. Thanks for the reviews!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 15, 12 2:34 PM
An okay game. The others gave gone over the logistics of the game. However, I have a slight complaint which BF should address. Some of the developers do not have an adequate knowledge of English and this becomes a problem in playing these games. I thought this game might be developed by someone in England, but I think not. In one of the HOG scenes, a clarinet was called a flute. There is a big difference between a "flute" and a "clarinet." I looked for 10 minutes until I tried clicking on the clarinet to realize that they had misnamed the instrument. It seems that these developers should hire someone to do the English translations who actually know English.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 15, 12 3:45 PM
Nice game, I played the entire demo on this one because it was that interesting.

The graphics are nice, the puzzles OK and the HOscenes were no cluttered.

This game will go in my games to have list for now.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Apr 15, 12 4:07 PM
This is a pretty good game.. really enjoying it. Thanks BF

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Apr 15, 12 5:30 PM
Unlike many of those who have already posted, I am not a fan of the Hidden Mysteries series of games. No particular reason I can think of, maybe I just disliked the first one and after that figured I didn't need another series to follow and buy.

All that said, I am a total sucker for things Titanic and will always at least try a game with as a subject. So naturally I DL'ed and demoed this ....and bought it 20 minutes later.

I'm not good at keeping track of how long it takes to play a game, but I'm sure it took at least four hours, and may have been much longer. As someone mentioned early on, the combination of Titanic and time travel was irresistible. A nice balance of HO scenes and puzzles, with great graphics that put you on Titanic as she was and as I wish she were now. By which I mean, the present-day Titanic that is shown in this game bears little resemblance to the shattered wreck in the North Atlantic. This Titanic is what I always imagined before the ship was found: relatively intact, at least recognizable. Of course the reality is nothing like that, but it's a pleasant fantasy. And the Titanic of 1912 is there in all her glory - it's worth the price just to wander around her.

It does get confusing at times, wondering which time you should be in, and what to do. But the blueprints of the ship (located in the journal) show you where there is an active task, and the hint button tells you if there is nothing to be done without needing a recharge (Thank you devs!). And the basic premise, saving the souls of at least some of those who died, is an interesting and engaging ida.

By all means, give this one a try, it's worth it!

ljmb21
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ljmb21 on Apr 15, 12 6:13 PM
(removed by moderator)

Edited on 04/16/2012 at 2:42:13 AM PST

Go to: