bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Victorian Mysteries®: The Yellow Room

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 16, 12 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Victorian Mysteries®: The Yellow Room? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Victorian Mysteries®: The Yellow Room page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Victorian Mysteries®: The Yellow Room

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 16, 12 12:21 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,871 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 16, 12 1:01 AM
This isn't a review edit - took me 43 mins to complete the demo on hard mode.

see later post for finished thoughts on the game

By (removed by moderator) (if I can’t mention them, they also did unsolved mysteries club ancient astronauts as well as hidden mysteries woman in white and the moonstone).

The first hidden mysteries game was short 3-4hrs and I’m not a fast gamer. This looks to be the same length and the same straightforwardness of the other games. These aren’t hard games to play (IMO an easy game)

There are 5 chapters. I haven’t read the book it’s based upon but like moonstone game (which I can’t remember that much of) and woman in white, it’s a mystery so the plot is important and that side of the game is good.

The graphics are crystal clear although the cut scenes with the masked man are a bit abrupt and jumpy. There are voiceovers. There is a widescreen button – which when clicking on it made the black side bars on my NON widescreen go away.

You have to take photos for your journal and the sound of that, is beginning to annoy me. You can skip the conversation if you read quicker, it also has questions underneath the character sometimes which you click on.

The hint button isn’t available in-between hidden object scenes, and I played on the 2nd hardness setting (choice of two) and the refill is slow as molasses, and it also gives you mega sparkles on hidden object scenes.

There is a map which is very helpful for those that like help. It tells you if something is completed or an area of interest. And beside it gives you a task list. It hasn’t been a transporter map so far.

In the short 30 mins of demo time, I came across 3 hidden object scenes. The first two were so promising – no junk pile then came a bad junk pile, one was mildly interactive. no random click penalty!

Puzzles are standard fare, gears and hit in right sequence of ‘key’. And a match/move circle rings. Adventure side - usual standard fare of inventory items.

Probably will use a coupon on this, as I enjoyed the stories of these but for those looking for something special or great gameplay this isn’t it but then it would be a CE if it was. A pleasant game which will nicely pass a couple of hours for me.

Edited on 04/17/2012 at 10:17:29 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
8,112 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 16, 12 1:11 AM
This review is based on the sample version, which I played in Easy mode.

There is widescreen when you click on "widescreen".

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over - but only in the beginning of the game. After you get to the chateau, the voices are gone, unless you turn the music on, then the voices come back.
I would have preferred it if voice-over was not dependent on the music slider, but was kept separately. This was a real disappointment.

There is a JOURNAL at the left, which has tabs for: Evidence, Characters, and Story. It also shows you that there are 5 chapters for this game - only the first one is unlocked.

There is a TASK notebook at the right, which lists your immediate tasks, and shows you a small map of your present location.
The map shows where HOS can be found, where you will find evidence, where you are, and where you need to investigate.

Underneath the TASK notebook is a MAP, which shows the different places of the whole area. You can't use the map to jump.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have beautiful and clear graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button, which is not available outside of the HOS, takes approx. 70 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button must take about 3 minutes !! to fill in Easy mode.

Graphics are very well done, storyline is interesting, and gameplay is fun.

--- --- ---

This game has got widescreen, lovely graphics, and gameplay is entertaining, intriguing, and fun.

Off to buy!!

Edited to add something regarding "voice-over".

Edited on 04/19/2012 at 4:47:27 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
317 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Apr 16, 12 1:22 AM
A new Victorian Mystery. Rather liked the first one and this one looks comparably good. Crisp graphics, not too much and doable H0 scenes and nicely challenging minigames. Together with the story, to investigate a murder on some estate, interesting enough to play.

Big plus are the beautiful locations. Really atmospheric. Having a map is also nice, although It's not interactive.

Some minor points also though not too annoying:
- the cut scenes run a bit clunky
- there's a pause when changing locations
- the detective neither looks nor sounds too French, but maybe that's me

All in all a good game, certainly at the daily game price.

JulieJay
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,377 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 16, 12 1:30 AM
This review is based on the demo which I played in casual mode. The other option is expert.

The music is upbeat. There are voiceovers for everyone except yourself. Your dialogue is the click and choose what to say type. I personally am not keen on that.

The graphics are clear but the HO's are very well hidden. There was some interactivity but not in every HO scene.

The puzzles are the norm.

Your are told when there is nothing more to do in any particular area. You can't go walking off in the wrong direction as it won't let you - it tells you not to go here or there if you try to.

There is a journal with separate tabs for story, evidence etc. There is a separate tasks book. There is a map which will tell you where you are and shows areas of interest but you cannot teleport. You can also refer to your tasks from the map.

I used the hint once and it seemed to take a long time to recharge.

I think it is on a par with the first VM (not a sequel) but in my opinion the devs have not improved much, if any, in this game. Pretty much the same game play.

RE approx length - the sample version gives you the first chapter depending on how fast you play. I completed the sample in 35 minutes. There are 5 chapters so if all chapters are of similar length then for me that would be approx 3 hours.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,755 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 16, 12 3:10 AM
In this very clever and delightful game, Mme. Stangerson has been cruelly murdered in a room from which there appears to be no escape! But as the assistant (photographer) to a detective assigned to this perplexing case, it is up to you to get to the bottom of things. And you begin the case on the moving train that is headed to the scene of the crime. SPOILER----the scene of the gap between cars as the train is rolling down the tracks is a visual delight----end SPOILER
The graphics are excellently done, as the whole game is set in, what else, Victorian times. And all the scenery and most of the items in the HOS are time appropriate.
The puzzles, though familiar, are very well done also.
Another interesting thing is this----the game has a WIDESCREEN option, and it works!! Now what's interesting is that the first Victorian Mystery (Woman in White) did not have this option available, but this new game does. So that tells me that everything many devs, programmers, and BF have told me is on the mark----it is absolutely a programming issue. More and more devs are addressing this, and this dev is one of them. Kudos to them for that. (And no, I didn't have to make any adjustments to my computer. The devs that don't take care of this continue to tumble down the list.)
I enjoyed the first Victorian Mystery very much, and this one (based on the trial) seems to be just as good. Can't wait to buy and keep playing so I can get to the bottom of this dastardly deed!!!!
Superb job by the devs here, I don't think you'll be anything but delighted.

Edited on 04/16/2012 at 4:08:59 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,626 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 16, 12 3:12 AM
What a delightful surprise a murder mystery to solve .

I played on the Expert setting purely because it said ...

Active zones are not indicated

ROFLOL I think it is time someone explained to all devs that a hidden object scene IS an active zone in our (the players) opinion because this game had those scenes lit up by a bright purple area with sparkles going off among it .

The demo took me 45 minutes to complete and during this time I found that the graphics were quite good , there are voiceovers but not for us who are playing the part of the photographer and having a conversation with the detective seemed a bit strange when you could only hear what he was saying and not our replies .

The puzzles I came across were easy but I am glad to see that they are skippable should I come across one later in the game that I do not fancy doing although I think you would have time to make a while you were waiting for the skip to fill .

The items in the hidden object scenes were reasonably clear and although a few were a bit small others were cleverly hidden and there was a basic interactive element to one of the items. There is a task list which will be useful if you get interrupted by real life and forget what you were supposed to be doing and there is a map which shows you where you are and where evidence is to be found .

All in all I think this will be a fairly good game and I am off to buy it .

Cherb

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
623 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 16, 12 5:14 AM
This one is has me on the fence. I really like the storyline and the play is a bit different than usual.

The hidden object scenes are far more difficult than most. For me anyway I'm not saying that's bad just different. The hint is rather slow to refill even in the casual mode and is available ONLY in the hidden object scenes. Luckily they do have a Walkthrough available for this already!!!

Unlike the rest of the game the mini games are on the easier side and are skippable after quite a wait.

I played the demo in casual as usual. I normally would then play the game (if purchased) in harder modes but with this not having a hint button outside HOS I think I would stay with Casual.

I see from CBTX s review that the widescreen option actually makes a wide screen. Wish I would have used it but I didn't even try because it usually nakes the screen smaller

I finished the demo in 45 min. and checked the walkthrough for an estimation on length. It looks like the game will be about 4 hours or a bit less.

Since I have a few games yet to play in the manager and some on my list I think I will wait on this one for now.

1/2 out of 5.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
289 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Apr 16, 12 5:38 AM
I enjoyed the first Victorian Mysteries game, so I was excited to see that there was a new game in the series. I played the demo, which flew by, and found it to be a high quality game, it has great artwork, voiceovers and music, with a gripping story. It reminds me quite a bit of the Dark Tales Edgar Allan Poe games, so if you like those games, you might want to check out this game. I am really glad that this wasn't released as a CE. It is rare these days that we get high quality HOGs such as this not released as a CE first. I was happy to use my credit earned from the Buy One Get One Free CE sale this weekend to purchase this game. As other people mentioned here, the lack of hints outside of the H0 scenes is a bit frustrating, but I saw that there is a walkthrough for the game on BFG so I am glad to have that to refer to if I get stuck. I actually got stuck before the demo ended, so I think this game does present a bit of a challenge. The H0 scenes seemed to be spread out pretty well, which I prefer, I think I only played 3 during the first hour of the game, and I came across more puzzles than H0s. The puzzles were kind of same old, same old, which is disappointing since I love doing puzzles, but despite that, I am intrigued enough with the story to want to continue and find out what happens next.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 16, 12 6:41 AM
I think this is definitely worth a coupon.

I enjoyed the first one, Woman in White, and think this will be as good or better.

Good story line and graphics.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Apr 16, 12 7:19 AM
This is another great game in my opinion. I think the voices in the demo are done very well. Beautiful graphics, and interesting storyline. The mini puzzles normally I struggle with but I did not in the few I encountered in the demo. I bought the game and waiting for it to download now.

My two slight complaints the hidden objects are not easy and the hint is slow in refilling in casual mode. The other complaint is the hint is not available to know where to go or what to do in the demo at least, I hope it will be available in the purchased version, if not we have each other or the walkthru to nudge us along when stuck. My favorite games are solving murder mysteries I am a female sherlock Holmes wanna be. Ok game finished downloading and I am off to play now. Thanks BFG for bringing us another great game and most of all Congrats to Game developers another great game. Looking forward to more of the same.

Edit
The map does help to show area of interest written in blue and evidence written in red so the map helps you know what needs to be done.I just finished this great game I REALLY had fun. I admit I got stuck a few times and had to look at walkthrough but I loved the interactivity of the game, character voice dialog mini games were fun also I did not have to skip any of them. I admit I took my time but for me the game was at least 6 hours. People were commenting they thought the game would be short looking at walkthrough for me it is not short. Everyone plays at their own speed mine is slower than many. The voices are done very well, I really enjoyed the game and length of game also. Looking forward to next game from Game developers.

Edited on 04/18/2012 at 4:02:35 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,626 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 16, 12 7:39 AM

Edited on 04/17/2012 at 12:37:40 AM PST

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
373 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Apr 16, 12 8:17 AM
I like this game! The voice overs are great...I don't mind the accents, actually I like them,,,,,and I love the story. As someone mentioned, it is very much like Miss Marple, Agatha Christies lady detective. Graphics are great and so are the characters and the music seems typical of a murder mystery.

Didn't have much trouble with the Hidden Object scenes, even though some of them were small. Over all, I totally enjoyed this game, not too easy or too hard but just right for me. I finished the demo with six minutes to spare.....just under the wire. LOL

Definite buy for me, even if I didn't have a PCC!

OKC gem

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 16, 12 10:57 AM
This is a good game with a widescreen option (and it works!). Graphic is good, gameplay also. For me its a buy

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Apr 16, 12 1:09 PM
This looks like a good game. The story line, graphics and the voice-over are to my liking. Some of the hidden objects are hard to see. Teeny tiny. Overall it looks I will be buying it.

Edited on 04/16/2012 at 1:17:44 PM PST

saphhire
Minnow
Minnow
296 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 16, 12 1:26 PM
This game had potential but the hint button did a no buy for me if you use the hint in one HO scene it takes over a min to refill in the next HO scene but the kicker is you can click away with no pen what the heck is that about some items are very small so I clicked away in the next HO I never do that.............................. at least give us the option to use the hint button when we want in casual mode........... If we need our hand held we will play casual with all the hints we want if not we play the expert mode.................shame on you dev.....................

angelfishsb
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishsb on Apr 16, 12 2:42 PM
I am glad I used a freebie on this otherwise I would have been really disappointed. I enjoyed the game, but the dialogue at the bottom of the screen came and went so fast that I am not sure even a speed reader could have gotten it. So I ended up not knowing who killed who. If someone could give me a brief snopsis of the story, I would appreciate it.

tejasgal
Manatee
Manatee
3,995 Posts

[Post New]by tejasgal on Apr 16, 12 3:18 PM
Well, finished the demo in 27 min's. It is a good looking game. The HOS are clean and easy to find items. I didn't skip any puzzles as they are very easy as well. Since the demo went so fast, this looks to be a short game for experienced HOS/Adventure players. The Look of the game is good. The music was (IMO) irritating and turned it off quickly. All in all, not for me until maybe a DD or some special comes along. If you are new to this type of game; go for it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
581 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 16, 12 3:53 PM
Very good game with clear graphics, plays like a CE, the HOscenes are nice no cluttered, the puzzles so far are in the easy side.

I love the voice over and the music is bearable, the story line is interesting and enough mystery to keep you wanting to know more.

This game is definitely a buy for me.

Go to: