bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Coloropus

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 18, 12 12:23 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Coloropus? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Coloropus page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Coloropus

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 18, 12 12:24 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Apr 18, 12 7:00 AM
I've played this game for 20 minutes and STILL can't figure out what to do! I get the feeling it's something like Tiny Bang Story and that you have to figure things out on your own but I've gone to the developers site and have had no luck getting past the first board!

Has anyone else played this and been successful at it? I think I only need a bit of a hint to advance.

Kaerie
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Kaerie on Apr 18, 12 10:07 AM
Wow, I was really confused at first, but once I figured out what to do with this, I'm loving it! Definitely a buy for me!

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Apr 18, 12 10:55 AM
I just started to get the hang of it and my time ran out. It reminded me of a game I played years ago on Sega called Echo the dolphin. Not an easy game. Takes some thought, I think? Might buy

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 18, 12 12:35 PM
To me, the game has an interesting premise, but I can't figure out how to turn the character to aim, move, or grab something----so it became too frustrating to stay with it.
The lack of instructions for the fundamentals is a huge minus----IMO.
So I just uninstalled.

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Apr 18, 12 12:59 PM
I couldn't really figure out what to do, even with the question marks floating around.

I did manage to complete the first couple of levels but once the female whatever-blobby-thing-she-is got scooped up in the bottle, I was sunk.

I moved back and forth between 2 screens on that one, moved the cigarette **** around, got 2 blowfish out of the tree trunk things on the left side and pushed a big stick out. I also got the stone out of the remaining bottle and got the glowing little ball by dropping the small stone down so it moved the glowing one further out to me.

But none of that really did anything. It's actually an interesting game but it is sorely lacking in instructions. There needs to be at least some basic information to get you started.

Also, when I went to exit, I got to a menu that was all pictures - one of which was a star. When I clicked on that, there were tons of icons there and a couple of them were lit up. I figured those might be bonuses or extra abilities but again, with no information, I just couldn't tell.

If the developers are listening, write a tutorial people!! With some good instructions, I probably would have bought this game.

As it is now, it's a definite No Buy for me.

[Post New]by Ladydisdain on Apr 18, 12 4:58 PM
I may be alone here but I think this is a fantastic game!

In fact the whole concept of no audible or written dialog was so curious I just had to play- however I must add that though instructions are simple they do require thought.

But i'm okay with that!

Rarely is a puzzle game an actual challenge so i’m intent on enjoying this one. If in doubt play about; see what works and what interactions result in which consequences. The Karma controlled resurrections were a particularly inspired addition. So many quirky little moments had me smiling even when I was hopelessly stuck.

Most importantly it’s not yet another coma inducing HOG or match 3 clone; dare I say it something actually new and different! Hurrah! For that alone it should get a galaxy of stars

./cheer @ Bfish

can i have some more please?

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Apr 18, 12 5:37 PM
It's not as bad as the user reviews led me to expect. Part of the mystique of this game was in figuring out what needs to be done. The directions in the form of thought bubbles was a clever idea and the puzzles were quite unique. Though not for me, I would recommend that players test drive this one before jumping to a conclusion.

Edited on 04/18/2012 at 5:41:01 PM PST

maxbridge
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by maxbridge on Apr 18, 12 10:36 PM
I agree with you Ladydisdain - yay for something different!
This is really quite a cool game. It is certainly different and challenging - once I realised that the question marks / bubbles are explaining what is required it became a lot easier.
My time has finished and I think I will buy it - although I haven't worked out how to save the game yet! The disc in the bottom right hand corner disappears or appears with a cross through it, and when I go back in it's back at the beginning. Can anyone help me with the save option? It's probably obvious but I hadn't checked it out before my time ran out and it didn't do it automatically. Thanks.

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Apr 19, 12 8:06 AM
Ladydisdain wrote:I may be alone here but I think this is a fantastic game!

In fact the whole concept of no audible or written dialog was so curious I just had to play- however I must add that though instructions are simple they do require thought.

But i'm okay with that!

Rarely is a puzzle game an actual challenge so i’m intent on enjoying this one. If in doubt play about; see what works and what interactions result in which consequences. The Karma controlled resurrections were a particularly inspired addition. So many quirky little moments had me smiling even when I was hopelessly stuck.

Most importantly it’s not yet another coma inducing HOG or match 3 clone; dare I say it something actually new and different! Hurrah! For that alone it should get a galaxy of stars

./cheer @ Bfish

can i have some more please?

You are most definitely not alone. This is such a cool little game. Even when you die. Nice review there Ladydisdain!

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Apr 20, 12 9:57 AM
My review is based on the demo of Coloropus.

Coloropus is an unique puzzle/adventure game with no written dialogue an no verbal messages. Everything you need to know is presented in little pictures, problem is they are not very clear at first which makes it kind of a bumpy start with the game and frustration tends to rise (at least it did for me )
Figuring out what is the purpose and what needs to be done and how to operate the game takes so much time you run out of demo time before getting a good impression of the game.

Luckily you can play some more online at the dev's site and there are some great You Tube Walktrough video's available. Because if ever a game deserves a second chance it is Coloropus.

Coloropus is a little octopus with a love for colors and a very lovely girlfriend. Sadly Coloropus gets separated from its girlfriend and he needs to go on a heroic queste to save his girlfriend and get reunited with her.

Coloropus apparently eats fruits (never seen a vegeatarian octopus ) There is a bar that indicates how filled coloropus is, at first it is white, but when Coloropus picks up a dye it gets colored. There are two colors Coloropus can hold at one time and they mix (eg red + yellow =orange) With right clicking Coloropus ejects the dye as ammunition and he can destroy objects or fishies with it. But they have to be in the same color as the dye Coloropus is holding.

Coloropus can hold and drag things and thus can move objects out of the way.
There are orbs to be found and they are important, cause breaking them gives Coloropus powers he needs to overcome obstacles and enemies.

One thing that isn't very obvious is that the solution to a problem is not always in the screen you are in, sometimes you can move to a different screen (right, left, or down)

Colorpus can die, but the neat thing is he can also be resurrected.

There is only music and quite frankly it gets a bit annoying.
I haven't found a way to start another profile, which is a bit of down site if there are more family members wanting to play it.
There are question marks in the game which provide picture clues, but they are not always easy to understand.
There is quite some dragging to do in this game(left mouse clicking and holding) which makes it very taxing on the hand. To me this could be a reason not to buy it.

I saw the devs are answering questions and that is a good sign , they show an interest and hopefully look for ways to improve this game, cause my guess is it is very well worth it !
With some written instructions and maybe a tutorial at the start this could be a very good game.

If no adjustments are made, it still is a good game, but it needs time and effort to get used to. My guess is, it will be worth it, cause this truly is a very unique game!

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Apr 20, 12 10:41 AM
Very impressive review catfish girl! Like you said I would love to start a new profile but keep the old. I wish He didn't move so slow. When I looked at youtube I noticed he was really bookin it. Is it my computer? I absolutely love the uniqueness (sp?) of this game. So much thought. I would love more like this!

Kaerie
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Kaerie on Apr 20, 12 2:38 PM
My son and I *loved* this game, and would very much like to see more like this! The death mechanic was especially intriguing, and we appreciated that little twist to the game.

Moe, look for and break blue crystals - those make you go faster. I was zipping along quite nicely, towards the end there.

I definitely think I need to start this one over and work on achievements.

Edited on 04/20/2012 at 2:40:00 PM PST

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Apr 21, 12 10:11 PM
Kaerie wrote:My son and I *loved* this game, and would very much like to see more like this! The death mechanic was especially intriguing, and we appreciated that little twist to the game.

Moe, look for and break blue crystals - those make you go faster. I was zipping along quite nicely, towards the end there.

I definitely think I need to start this one over and work on achievements.

I'm jealous. I got all 4 blue crystals but my speed never increased.

Go to: