bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Criminal Minds

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 21, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Criminal Minds? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Criminal Minds page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Criminal Minds

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 21, 12 12:41 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 21, 12 1:34 AM
Is this a day that everyone is sleeping late wow 1st to review well I think this game is an old game dressed up some it takes forever to get from scene to scene zzzzzzzzzzzzz if you happen to miss your room you click on an arrow to go into another scene a car drives away and wham your there after you wait with a blank black screen boo big fish I wouln't want this game even if you gave it away poorly done thats my opinion maybe others will buy but not me

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 21, 12 1:44 AM
I usually try and stay in the comments area, if it's on the demo and I am not buying the game and others give a 'heads up' on the demo. But am making an exception in this case as it's so bad.

As I sort of expected here comes another TV show game that the DEV is solely relying on fans of the said show to buy it without putting much time and money or effort into gameplay. It's like I am playing a 5 yr old H O game and not that good one to start with.

Where do I start? Let's start at the graphics. The cardboard cutouts 'placed' in a scene with no depth or attempt to merge them with the background - most have a 'halo' round them, like they were badly photo-shopped. The puzzles graphics are so bad and they mostly open up in a box. The cutscenes are blurry and badly pixelated.

It's a shame as the main graphics in scenes aren't that bad (they aren't good either).

Also there are black bars down my NON widescreen laptop so it doesn't even open in fullscreen, really in this day and age?

Trying to be positive (taking a deep breath), the hidden object scenes are clear and not that bad! And the most positive thing about the game which I hope at least will be something is the plot. There are 2 stories.

I wouldn't even buy this at DD price. I'd give it for plot and clear, not tiny hidden object scenes. Personally for my taste, it's

Edited on 04/21/2012 at 1:47:29 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 21, 12 1:44 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I played in Casual mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no voice-over.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) have names in the lists that come in 3 different colours:
Black - find the objects
Blue - these are scrambled. Find a question mark to unscramble each word or figure out for yourself what the word could be.
Green - these are hidden and an extra step needs to be made to uncover those.

For each question mark you click on in the HOS, you get an extra HINT. Don't know how that works, because each time I click on the HINT button, it always needs to refill, no matter whether I did find question marks or not.

The HOS have good and clean graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

HINT refill time is 30 seconds.
When you click on the HINT button outside of the HOS, it will give you a list of what you have to do. Click on "Details" for each task, and you will get precise instructions of what you have to do to accomplish the tasks.

Mini games can be skipped. SKIP button doesn't take too long to fill.

There is an FBI Handbook at the right, which tells you about the case and gives you info on all the agents in this game.

At the left, from left we have: Menu, HINTS, and TASKS. Click on Tasks, and you will see a list of what you need to do.

--- --- ---

I wasn't prepared to like this game (not much of a "crime scene investigating" fan anymore), but this game plays very nicely, graphics are better than I thought they were from looking at the walkthrough, and on the whole, this is an interesting game.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Apr 21, 12 1:47 AM
Note: I only played part of the demo.

This game was disappointing to me. I love a good crime mystery game, but this one just fell flat for me. First of all, there are two cases to choose from. I chose the one about the artist, and I found the story pretty boring. There's little sense of direction in the game and I felt like the story was just thrown together.

The hidden object scenes were extremely crowded, and the graphics were grainy. The characters from the TV show are shown in an artistic/drawn form, but they're just sort of... there. The game tells you that you get to play as all of the different characters, and you do, but it doesn't add anything to the game. The puzzles that I played were incredibly easy (jigsaw, paint-by-numbers, etc.) and were nothing new. Navigating between the scenes felt a little clunky/slow, even though all you do is click on the arrow.

All in all, I don't think I'd even use a punch card credit for this one. I keep comparing it to the recent Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill game. While that one wasn't the most amazing game ever, I feel like this game pales in comparison even to that.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 21, 12 2:25 AM
Well, I for one quite like this game. I agree with some of the negative comments but on the whole it is a change from the dark and dreary games. The HOS are sometimes a little cluttered but most of the items are easy to find. It did take a few seconds of black screen when changing scenes, which was a little annoying.
BTW Valdy the question marks do not increase the hints but appear to unscramble the anagram items Morning to you.

All in all this will be a pleasant game to play but I have others to finish first.

The dev's are Legacy games.

IMHO it is worth a demo, to try this out for yourselves.

Happy gaming everyone.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 21, 12 2:32 AM
peglegann wrote:Well, I for one quite like this game. I agree with some of the negative comments but on the whole it is a change from the dark and dreary games. The HOS are sometimes a little cluttered but most of the items are easy to find. It did take a few seconds of black screen when changing scenes, which was a little annoying.
BTW Valdy the question marks do not increase the hints but appear to unscramble the anagram items Morning to you.

All in all this will be a pleasant game to play but I have others to finish first.

The dev's are Legacy games.

IMHO it is worth a demo, to try this out for yourselves.

Happy gaming everyone.

Good morning, Ann...

Yes, I know they unscramble the words (I mentioned that in my review), but I am sure the first time the tutorial told me about those, it said that it also added an extra HINT. *shrugs shoulders*

ETA: When you click on a question mark, there is a vapour-like cloud going around the HINT button, but if you know what the scrambled word is and you click on the object without using the question mark, there is no vapour-like cloud going around the HINT button. So why would that happen when you click on a question mark?

more ETA: OK, I sussed it now. LOL Yes, slimjims36 is quite right. If I have just used a HINT, and then click on a question mark, the HINT button fills instantly. Not that it really matters, it only takes 30 seconds to refill anyway.

But I am not complaining. The fact that the HINT button only takes 30 seconds to refill is already worth a

I have played the demo for 55 minutes, and not come across any problems. I have a widescreen laptop, and have big black bars on either side, but what else is new. LOL

I really like this game. At first I thought, oh no... some more fingerprints to check, and all that, but this game is not "heavy! on those things, if you know what I mean. It's all very easy and light.

I will definitely get this game with a PCC I still have hidden away (not telling where).

Edited on 04/21/2012 at 5:41:58 AM PST

slimjims36
Clownfish
Clownfish
526 Posts

[Post New]by slimjims36 on Apr 21, 12 2:46 AM
i think it works like if you already found the scrambled item and the question mark is still there, if the hint is recharging from using it, clicking onthe question mark refills it instantly. it worked thast way for me a couple of times

Anyway, i liked this game. i may be bias because i like the show but it was pretty good. the characters weren't real characters but when you're trying to duplicate real people its hard to do anything but what they did.

the blackout between scenes was a pain. i agree about that one

gjnashif
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by gjnashif on Apr 21, 12 3:09 AM
I was getting ready to purchase this game, when I started reading the reviews, and most of them are pretty negative, so I decided to demo this game. And I will tell you I was very disappointed. Usually it is difficult to tell whether a game is good or bad from the demo. But not in this case.

The reviewers are correct, not only do the characters, as one reviewer wrote "look like card board cutouts placed into a scene"... they look like "corpses"... and the gameplay is simply awful.... as a longtime fan of this show, I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. In a an era, where games like Ravenhearst and Puppetshow, have wonderful Full Motion Graphics, excellent animation and gameplay. This game totally and literally falls "flat"...... with no depth in either the characters, storyline or gameplay. At least that is one man's opinion.

--gnashif

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 21, 12 5:19 AM
I like it - give it a free try and make up your own mind.

It's not shiny and polished like we've come to expect from CE's, but the puzzles are interesting and the hidden object scenes are unique - I love the scrambled clues in the lists. I also like the fact that you have to visit several locations, talk to people to get new tasks, and collect inventory.

The hint system is almost like a strategy guide or walkthrough. When you aren't in an HO scene and click on the Hint button, it gives you a list of tasks. If you click on a specific task you then get a detailed list of how to complete that task. That part was very well done.

The black bars on the sides of most screens will be a deal-killer for some, and they are pretty annoying to me, but I can look past that for the good storylines. I don't watch the show myself (and I probably should, since I love similar shows like CSI and Bones) but that doesn't stop me from loving a good murder mystery.

BTW, the bad cut-and-paste graphics that were mentioned by another fishie, specificly the halos around the characters, are actually just the "sun" shining on the characters. If you notice the halo is only on one side of the characters, and always on the side of the closest light source. They were a bit overdone as highlights (too bright, which make them look like halos) but not bad.

This game won't be for everybody, but you should at least give it a try for at least 30 minutes. I just popped out of the game so I can purchase it, then I'll be going right back into playing!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 21, 12 7:06 AM
Once again it looks as if I am the minority here I like this game! I don't watch the show but was impressed with how much the characters actually look like the actors.

As you can tell from the name this is a current day murder mystery. I, for one, like the change from period games
You have two seperate murders to solve. one after the other.
I played the demo in casual mode and found it a little easy and as usual will play the game in expert. Yes. I am buying it right now

I enjoyed the hidden object scenes very much. I like the scrambled words and finding question marks to speed the hint and unscramble the words. Some objects were harder to find but no tiny ones.
The few mini games were fun but a bit to easy. They can be skipped to.

This has a really unique hint system outside the HOS and it makes an SG or walkthrough unneeded.

When I checked with the walk through for an estimate on the length I was very suprised. It should be longer than most if the pace continues as in the demo.

The one thing that would have really made this game great for me was voice overs.
There is quite a bit of conversation during this but it isn't inane chatter. It is pertaining to the case you are working so I don't mind.

For me this was a nice change so I am off to play some more.

Please try this for yourself before forming an opinion. It may suprise you

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 21, 12 7:42 AM
Imberis wrote:Note: I only played part of the demo.

This game was disappointing to me. I love a good crime mystery game, but this one just fell flat for me. First of all, there are two cases to choose from. I chose the one about the artist, and I found the story pretty boring. There's little sense of direction in the game and I felt like the story was just thrown together.

You can't choose which case you want to play first, you have to start with the one on the left, which is about the artist. The other case has a lock on it.

I have now finished the first case, and the second case has been unlocked.

This is quite a long game. Slight SPOILER Alert hover over with cursor if you want to read: There was not just one murder but two in the first case. End of slight SPOILER Alert

I really enjoy the mini games, especially the ones where you have to eliminate things until you only have one thing/person left. They are all managable and easy enough for me to want to play them.

Off to crack the second case...

ETA; Just wanted to say that the walkthrough is wrong in that the second case does not start where it says it starts. That is still part of the first case. The second case starts when you see the FBI team back on the airplane.

And yes, the second case is definitely more interesting and fun to play than the first one.

Edited on 04/21/2012 at 9:13:14 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 21, 12 7:43 AM
It did improve after the demo. Not a huge amount, but just enough to keep me interested. It got harder and the puzzles got tougher. I'm never going to like graphics like those and the characters didn't come across very well, rather stiff, but it was ok.

The 2nd case was much more interesting than the 1st one. I think that's when my opinion went up a few notches.

Those hexagon puzzles got on my nervous, mainly because there were too many of them.

Good hint button. Skip button could have been faster. I really needed the WT, but only because it was often unclear where to go next.

I wouldn't have given it the time of day if I'd had to pay for it, and I think that would have been unfair.

Let's just say it made a nice change from the usual and I'll give it a 5/10.

Wouldn't want to play another one, though.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Apr 21, 12 7:56 AM
I am enjoying this game. I read all the bad reviews and was ready to just try it and delete it. But I got caught up in it. I see what others are complaining about, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying this game. It is different from all the other hogs. I have followed this series from the beginning and this lets me pretend I have joined the BAU. I never could get caught up in the similar games based on James Patterson's series, but this one is really enjoyable.

Don't let the negative reviews stop you from trying this game. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Simsane
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Simsane on Apr 21, 12 8:20 AM
I wanted to like this game as I am a big fan of the show but after trying it for 52 minutes I got out of the game (wanted to leave at least a few minutes to try again in the future) and decided that I'd look it over again when I've got another PCC or if it ever becomes a DD. Otherwise, it's a no go for me at this time. The whole feel to the game is just too odd...rather "clunky" in my opinion. I am getting really, really tired of so many games having "dark" scenes and I'm not talking about the subject matter but literally the actual scenes themselves being too dark for me that I wanted to like this game because it's based on my favorite show and because the first scene is nice and light, but I just don't like "how" it plays. Maybe another time.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 21, 12 8:56 AM
This game have a great story, yes the graphics are no as good as what we have been used too for the last few weeks on latest SE and CEs but that should not take away from a great detective murder mystery.

I remember a few years back I was such a fan of this type of detective games, but now I can not get enough of crisp beautiful graphics that most CEs brings to the table.

Is not a bad game at all.

I will keep it in my "to buy list for now".

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Apr 21, 12 9:04 AM
Admittedly I'm a rabid fan of the TV show so maybe that colors this a bit - but I've passed on other games based on shows I like because the games didn't flip my switch so...this isn't too biased

After reading the reviews I was actually pleasantly surprised by the game! I think the graphics are well done! Not ERS quality - but this isn't a beautiful fantasy land either! I think they are surely as good as - say - the James Patterson series! Downtown Austin can only be so pretty lolol

So far the game play seems challenging too - you do have to think - so for those who don't like "hand holding" that should be a big plus!! It seems like there will be lots of variety of things to do and tasks in this game to keep it interesting.

Upshot - it's a buy for me & I'll side with the "give the demo a try yourself before deciding" folks. Happy Gaming!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 21, 12 9:44 AM
Not a bad game. I mean it didn't grab me and make me want to get it right a way to see what happens. Graphics are nice, music nice, hint system a bit different. Game moves a little slow. I like the TV show and watch it occasionally, so this a bit fun. Would have been much better with voice overs.

HOGs were a little different with the scrambled words. I play word games, so it wasn't difficult to figure out what I was looking for. Games very simple. It may not sound like it, but I sort of liked this one. I do like a good mystery. Have to think about it a bit, so I'll put this in the puddle and see what else comes along in the next day or so.

Thanks for the reviews.

(edited for spelling error)

Edited on 04/21/2012 at 9:51:44 AM PST

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Apr 21, 12 9:46 AM
I had to try this one just because of the screen shot of the "pigs head saloon!" I played the entire demo on advanced mode, which still had a bit too much hand holding for my taste. The skip button took a long time to fill in advanced. Not sure about how long in casual. Although this isn't the greatest game out there, it is still something I will buy as a DD, or if I run out of games I bought from the recent sales. The puzzles are different, which I like. I am a word game player, so I liked the anagrams in the HO scenes. I would have liked an entire list of anagrams, but that's just me. I played another game with word lists written in another language. It was a straight HOG, but I can't remember the name of it right now. (Which will drive me crazy until I think of it!) I also liked the mah jong, though it was quite easy. Graphics are nothing special, but not horrible. Someone mentioned the "cutout" characters that looked like photoshop. Maybe they wanted to make the people look like the real actors. I had to play with the sound off because of the annoying noises when you find an item. I kind of like this one, as it is different from the cookie cutter games we have had lately. I'd rate this about 3 1/2 of 5 stars. Better than I expected. After reading some of the negative reviews, I almost passed on the demo. Glad I didn't.

Go to: