bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 22, 12 12:27 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 2:20:01 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 22, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 22, 12 12:53 AM
I have played the demo and only have a couple of gripes the voice over is dreadful and the hint button doesn't refill for a long while it can be used out of the HO's but says nothing to do here then you have to wait for it to refill..............................but other wise the games seems to be ok I won't buy it until someone posts how long this game is hate dishing out double for a game if it's not a long game..................... will wait.....................

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 22, 12 2:05 AM
Based on the trial:

This game is from the same developers as "Ghost Towns-the Cats of Ulthar" (Taba) and seems to be an improvement over that title, although there are disturbing similarities that bothered me about that one.
-junkpile HOS with objects that are indistinct and amount to tests of good vision as opposed to clever hiding and placement of items. And many of the objects are irrelevant to the game.
-puzzles that are very old-style and need to be tossed. (Simon Says----really?, and "untangle the lines"----how old can you get?)
-lots and lots of back and forth with illogical goals.
-and no Widescreen, although the option for it is in the menu, it just doesn't work. And given that we've been clearly shown 3 times this week by other devs that this can be done, it should be, particularly and always with a CE. But like some other devs (see Thursday) apparently they choose not to address this, or can't.

The improvements I mentioned are that the SG works in this one, revealing 8 chapters plus a bonus game, however, only the first 2 chapters are revealed.
And there are voice-overs, but they are pretty horrible. The narrator sounds drunk, and the pirate is over the top hammy.
And overall, the graphics are clearer by a good bit so that's a good thing.

In summary, the game is much too similar to some of the recent offerings from other Eastern European, Russian, Ukranian devs with the same faults and characteristics. I even looked in the credits of a couple others trying to find the same names.
And I can tell you there is a forthcoming pirate game that is totally superior to this so I'll wait for that one and think about this one as a SE down the road----maybe.
Not very impressed, sorry devs----but the improvement is duly noted. Maybe next time.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Apr 22, 12 2:14 AM
This review is from the demo.
Though this game has the "rescue your friend from a ghost" theme, at least it's done in a slightly different way (i.e., it's not your grandpa or your paramour you're saving).
Pros:
The graphics are nice, and I enjoy the use of color. Scenes go well with the theme of the game, but have some color to them. The hidden object scenes are crowded/junkpile-y, but items are distinguishable and there are interactive elements. I did the beta test for this game, and I appreciate that they removed the sparkles from adventure mode for the final game. This game has some humor! Little spoiler: I liked when you had to find a needle in the first H O scene, and you had to dig your way through a pile of hay to get it. Needle in a haystack! Cute. There's a strange little mascot for the hint button. I think he's cute in a weird way. The music is totally appropriate for the game setting and is nice to listen to.

Cons: The "simon" type game didn't register some of my clicks. Inventory items are generally used right away/I knew where I'd need to use almost all of them as soon as I got them. (That's sort of a con for me, but I know for others that's a pro.) The puzzles encountered in the demo aren't terribly original (They're nice enough, though). The voice acting is just OK, although the "bad guy's" voice is odd, and I feel like it doesn't fit him at all. Then again, that's probably just a personal preference!

This game isn't the best game ever, but it's quite nice. I'm having a really hard time trying not to compare it to another pirate game that's out (but not here), that I found to be amazing. However, this game, on its own, is well done. Edited to add: I think I'd pay full price for the Standard Edition, but I don't think I'll buy the Collector's Edition.

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 2:19:39 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Apr 22, 12 2:19 AM
I thought it was a very nice game. The puzzles are maybe not the latest and greatest but are nice anyway. It fills my 22" widescreen monitor with very nice graphics. I bought it, sure it'll pass several hours nicely.

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 2:19:38 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 22, 12 2:27 AM
I played the entire demo but I'm not going to buy the CE - the SE will probably find its way into my pocket later,

As someone else mentioned, this game is from the same developers as "Ghost Towns-the Cats of Ulthar" (Taba) - I really enjoyed that game and bought it as a CE pretty much instantly. That said, the graphics in this one are alot better.

This game, Secrets of the Seas: Fying Dutchman, has some really nice ocean graphics - with an occasional jumping sea creature - but I just couldn't get invested in the story.
Also, the lobster was not the most beguiling hint graphic choice - looks too much like a cockroach to me. Why not a cute puffer or - going with the pirate motif - a colorful parrot?

The gameplay was pretty good but linear. The minigames in the H0 scenes were good but a bit easy (I did play in Casual, though) and the puzzles were OK and not frustrating.

All in all, I'm likely to buy this as an SE at some point, as it is a good game and looks like it will be long.

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 2:47:45 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 22, 12 2:44 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode:

When you click on "Play" in the GM (game manager), the GM will disappear, but comes back after you have finished playing.

There are 8 chapters plus the Bonus chapter, which you can't take a peep at in the trial version.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you last left it open, and is that bottle on the top right side.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is Widescreen - for those who can get it.

There is voice-over.

For those with an older computer, there is a "Low quality" setting.

I never listen to the in-game music, but love the music that comes with this game.

There is a Journal at the left, which you will get after a short while.

The HINT button (it comes in the shape of a darling-looking shrimp) takes about 55 seconds to refill in Easy mode when used in the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), but can be used without having to wait for a refill in the normal scenes.

The iHOS have good graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

Puzzles can be skipped, and the SKIP button fills relatively fast.

--- --- ---

Graphics are very well done, and gameplay is fun. Story is interesting and I am intrigued to find out how it continues.

--- --- ---

Saphhire: The HINT button takes 55 seconds to refill in Easy mode. The harder the modes the longer it takes for the HINT button to refill.
Outside of the HOS, the HINT button tells you there is nothing to do if there is nothing to do, but shows you where there is something to do, when there is something to do. And there is no waiting for a refill outside of the HOS in Easy mode.

So perhaps you want to play in Easy mode?

Edited to correct spelling

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 4:09:48 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 22, 12 3:10 AM
It was very pleasant surprise to find a CE on Sunday! I think that the cut of the CEs on Sunday made many of us to lurk elsewhere, as I read the comments. BF?

I like this game and already bought it. Graphics are lovely. and the plot is intriguing. After Valdy's review there is nothing I can add...

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 22, 12 3:45 AM
To the Devs ...

I only played 25 minutes of the demo which I did on the Advanced Mode as it said ...

"With hints and penalties. Active areas aren't highlighted"

but not only were the hidden object scenes lit up but the objects that you needed to pick up or look at also had sparkles on them and, on top of that, the comments on top of the screen for each item told you everything you needed to know so why on earth would you need a Strategy Guide when you hand is already being tightly held .

For me personally, all this help spoiled the game for me so I went and tried Hard Mode and found that the comments on top of the screen were still there and I would also like to say that remarks like

"There is something is this sack, I could cut it with something sharp"

is an insult to our intelligence, do you think we are going to try and open it with a flashlight for example? Anyway I am baffled as to how leaving this help in makes the game harder and think you should have removed these instead of, or as well as, the hints as without them I would have really enjoyed playing this game.

While I have your attention can I also just say that locking things like wallpaper and screensavers until the bonus chapter has been completed is counterproductive as it stops people from investing in the CE version and makes them wait for the SE version because those items are neither use nor ornament once the game has been completed . We want to use them WHILE we are playing please and not while we are playing a different game altogether.

Thank you for listening .

Cherb

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Apr 22, 12 4:17 AM
Anything with pirates is a buy for me.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 22, 12 5:54 AM
Just finished the demo...got to the cabin in the pirates ship, that's how slow I am. Spent a lot of time just oogling at the graphics /painting. How the heck do they make metal look like metal, bronze look aged, wood look water-logged. These are the things that really enamour me to this quality of game.
But as far as the game itself--it has a good flow to it so far
Graphics excellant, easy to see. I didn't have any trouble finding things in the HO scenes and my vision isn't the best, nor my monitor wide.
I'm not a fan of pirates but like the old broken down town, the water movement, the pirate ship heading out to sea..reminded me of Johnny Depp's Black Pearl (isn't that what it was called?)..someting like that.
I'm hoping for not too many underwater scenes as they are difficult to see in general and makes me want to hold my breath. But nevermind, it is what it is
This game, so far, is a good one. Not sure if it is a SE, that's up to everyone's personal pocketbook, but if the game play is long and the bonus a real bonus, than it will be..I'll wait to see how others feel.
kris

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 22, 12 6:08 AM
Thanks Fishies for the excellent reviews. Here is my opinion

Pros:

Nice graphics and voice overs.
Interactive hidden object scenes.Many of them
Great story line.
Tons of tasks to remember at once.
There is a journal. Don't know how much help it is though.
Music is appropriate and fun.

Cons:

Widescreen won't work for me
SG doesn't keep up but stays where you last used it.
Mini games so far are to easy.
Even in harder modes there are sparkles. Far to many for me

I will reserve my technical problems for the correct thread.
I did enjoy the demo but it didn't make me have to keep playing. I just felt like something was missing. Left me feeling a bit confused I think I will wait for the SE on this. I have games to get through in the meantime.

To each their own though so give it a test drive

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Apr 22, 12 6:34 AM
Finished the demo in 44 minutes. Not sure if that's a good thing or not as I'm a slow player. Music was okay but got repetitious after a while. I do agree with the voice overs. Not the best. The graphics were nice and clear for these tired eyes, but I did get tired of going back and forth. However I have played games that had considerably more walking. The mini games and bonus content are for once the main game is completed which I don't like because I like to know what else I'm getting when I pay double. I did notice in the beginning an item in my inventory that I used was still in there and that lead me to believe I would need to use it again, yet when I went into another scene it disappeared. The hint icon is a shrimp which like another poster said, they could have used something a little more to the pirate theme like a parrot. The shrimp was kinda odd looking. Nice game overall, but on the fence with it. I like the pirate theme, just couldn't get into the game. Happy gaming fishes!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 22, 12 6:51 AM
This is a great game with great graphic, gameplay, hogscenes, puzzles. But anyway, I will wait till the release from the SE, because I have many other games to finish on my gamemanager.

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 6:52:10 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 22, 12 8:46 AM
It looked good at first, but even in Hard mode there are too many sparkles and "helpful" dialogs.

The abundance of Sparkles = No Buy

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Apr 22, 12 10:03 AM
I really want to like this game since I love pirate stuff. I didn't make it 30 minutes before stopping. Maybe I'll wait and play some more later.

The first time the word "Argh" appeared at the top of the screen I almost quit right there. I can't stand that word. No real pirate ever said it, and no fictional pirate said it till a 1950s version of "Treasure Island."

This game also has one of my major pet peeves: needing a tool to do something that can be done without one (possible spoilers): Needing a rake to remove leaves when any normal person would just brush them off; needing a cloth to clean something (algae?) off a key: get your hands dirty, there's a fountain nearby you can wash them off with!
Another pet peeve: I saw this in a number of reviews: The Simon game. I am so over that.

Could not figure out dice game. SG explained it better than the game did (at least to me), but if someone buys SE they won't have that advantage.

Pro: You're not looking for/helping your grandfather, sister, or somebody's child.

I'll try it again later. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood for a game right now.

ETA: I didn't like that there was no hint button until after the first hidden object scene.

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 10:05:08 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 22, 12 11:24 AM
Cute game and I enjoyed the trial. I thought the graphics were clear and crisp and didn't think the HOG's were junkpile either. I liked the games and the voices were ok too. Don't know why there are so many negatives as thought this game had lots of positivies.. Give it 3 out of 5 stars..

JoBee1215
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by JoBee1215 on Apr 22, 12 12:24 PM
I usually lurk more than review or comment but this game I just had to say something. After reading all the reviews and comments I will say BOSH what a crock.

The game has no challenge it tells you every thing to do, Gives way too many hints. the scenes change slowly, the pointer is clunky and jumpy. All in all this was very boring and not a buy for me. Can't believe they made this into a CE.

I don't want to insult anyone, This is just my simple opinion.

Happy gaming

Jo

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 22, 12 1:03 PM
What a beautiful, warm, sunny day!

Now the review...Nice graphics and game play. I like the voice overs, not too many and not long winded like other games. HOGs a bit messy, but not difficult to find items and I like the "extra" step you need to take to find something else. Haven't run across any "hard" games yet. The game walks you through a lot of things, as to what to do in a particular place, or with a particular item, so you don't need to use a lot of brain power (I like a little more challenge - I play these to keep my brain active, not take a nap). Story line is a nice change from the usual ghost junk (although I do like the ghost junk). Nice SG. Didn't use the hint, so can't comment on that part of it. Others have said that there were a lot sparkles, but I didn't notice a lot, except for the HOGs...guess I just ignore that stuff.

That said, I like this game. Looking at the SG, it seems like a nice long game. I will purchase this game.

Thanks for the reviews.

(edited to add comment about sparkles)

Edited on 04/22/2012 at 1:06:09 PM PST

Go to: