bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Runaway With The Circus

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 23, 12 12:31 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Runaway With The Circus? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Runaway With The Circus page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Runaway With The Circus

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Apr 23, 12 12:32 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 23, 12 1:27 AM
If you like the Amazing Adventure series of games, then you will like this one. Similar game play, i.e. 1 ho scene followed by 1 puzzle.

You can play relaxed or timed.

You collect 2 hearts in each scene - don't worry if you don't find them immediately as you can go back later. Hovering your mouse over each scene on the map will tell you how many hearts you collected.

If you collect all of the hearts, you will unlock 1930's era videos and also unlimited puzzles. Completing the game will unlock the music.

The music is in line with the 1930's and can go from being very upbeat to a bit melancholy. For me this meant that one minute I felt I was being rushed, and then the next I could have dozed off. Lovely music but not for me whilst I'm playing a game.

Items in the ho scenes can be a bit hard to spot sometimes as they are very well hidden. Some times you have to zoom in on i.e. a poster to collect say 10 of something. I did come across some interactivity in ho scenes later on i.e. put battery in torch.

Each hint will cost you 5000 points and the hint system takes 45 seconds to recharge.

The puzzles are the norm, i.e. spot the difference, word search etc., - all easy - and all puzzles can be skipped but the skip button takes an awfully long time to charge.

This kind of game would be my ideal i.e. ho - puzzle - ho - puzzle etc., but alas, just like the Amazing Adventure games, the puzzles are just too easy. I would love to seem this type of game but which included some mind bending puzzles.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 23, 12 1:40 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I played in Relaxed mode.

It is advisable to say "yes" to the quick tutorial.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Relaxed and Timed

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The music is of the 1930s, as are the images.

--- --- ---

This is a basic HOG (hidden object game):

You click on an object on a map, and that gets you to a scene.

Each scene has so-and-so many hidden objects you need to find.

The text colour and font are quite unaccetable: blurry orange words.

For each hidden object you find, you get 1000 points. You will get an extra 1250 points for finding objects in quick succession.

Each HINT you use will cost you 5000 points, and you cannot use another hint for 45 seconds.

Also in each scene there are 2 bonus hearts hidden. Collect all the hearts in each level to unlock 1930s era videos.
Find 60 hearts throughout the game to unlock bonus puzzles.

Finish a level to unlock a secret item in order to progress through the circus ranks.

When you have found all objects, you have to do a puzzle, which can be skipped after a while, in order to proceed to the next level.

The first puzzle says it's a "Spot the Difference", but it isn't. It's one of those puzzles where you have to turn over two cards and find the same images.

--- --- ---

This game, which is a nice surprise (seeing that it is a soft release), drags a little. The graphics could have been clearer, and the words in the lists to find objects are near unreadable at times.

This game is reminiscent of the old "Big City Adventures" games, and will appeal to those gamers who still like playing these games.

A word of warning for those peeps who don't like flashing images: The videos are made to look in the 1930s style, and you will get some light (as in: not heavy) flashing when watching the videos, which can be skipped.

I will most likely give this one a miss, because it's not really my cup of tea anymore.

Happy Monday, everyone.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 23, 12 6:25 AM
this game is like big city adventures, it is solid HOS and a puzzle to solve in between scense. it is a good game.-------------doug

esthers2
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by esthers2 on Apr 23, 12 9:21 AM
nice relaxing game great music and drawings hap me at the opening scene

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Apr 23, 12 9:25 AM
Looks & runs better than I'd thought looking at the screen shots - worth giving the trial a try!! There are quite a few language quirks - despite that it seems devs really put a lot into researching the history of the era & have a passion for the storyline. Promises to be a nice, fast paced break from the "super thinky" games we adore as well! Happy gaming!

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Apr 23, 12 10:30 AM
What a quirky little game!

Basic HO's followed by a simple puzzle but interesting because it evokes the 30's very nicely (not that I remember them!).

I persevered with it for the music only - which was lovely. - and it was fun while the demo lasted. But I won't be buying it.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 23, 12 11:46 AM
This is an "old school game" with so-so graphic and no interactivity. For me its much too easy and a no buy. But happy gaming everyone

timbermoon
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by timbermoon on Apr 23, 12 12:46 PM
This game is very different from the usual HOG in setting and in sound. I am a musician, and a fan of music from most eras and genres, so I really enjoyed the 30s sound. The game had a definite flavor, and I found it charming.

I did not care for the 10,000 point deduction for random clicking, which isn't necessarily random. I thought a misclick penalty in relaxed mode rather defeated the purpose. I found a misspelling, and a couple of instances of incorrect instructions for minigames. However, as the game types are recognizable, this was not really a problem.

Those looking for something different should give this one a try. I found the game to be enjoyable, and give the developers full points for both originality and ambience. It is not a graphical marvel, by any means, but rather a nostalgic foray into an era long past.

*** To anyone who has had difficulty finding "miscellaneous object" x10: Look for a poster hanging somewhere in the scene. The ten objects of the same type should be hidden in the poster.

Edited on 04/23/2012 at 12:47:50 PM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Apr 23, 12 12:59 PM
What a fun game! I got it as soon as the demo expired.

You can choose one of 3 characters to be in this game; the avatars are a male, a female, & a circus tent. I chose a female & my story was that I was a girl who left home because it was time of depression & my whole family was quarantined due to a plague of scarlet fever that had swept the land. I fell asleep in a field and when I woke up the next morning, the circus had come to town and was setting up in the field. I managed to get hired to do the lowest job in the circus, and I begin to work my way up the job ladder there.

I enjoy old Busby Berkeley movie musicals from the 1930's so the background music was right up my alley, and there are plenty of musical tracks so you don't notice any looping. One of those tracks sounded like Edith Piaf singing "La Vie en Rose", a favorite of mine (which is actually from the 1940's).

The game is basically a HOG with puzzles between each HOG scene. The puzzles are simple - match game, spot the difference, scrambled pictures, hidden words, etc. - but they act as a nice break between finding the hidden objects. The objects are cleverly hidden and sometimes quite small. After an area is completed and your character advances to a new job within the circus, a journal opens up and you can watch a short movie clip from the 1930's, another nice change of pace for the eyes.

This is probably going to be a long game. There were more than 20 locations shown on the game map, and I only completed about four of them in the demo time. I played in the timed mode, but nothing happened when the timer ran out; I guess that I just didn't earn a time bonus for that round, but the game gives you the option of playing in an untimed mode anyway. There are two hidden hearts in each scene and you have to collect 60 of them to unlock some bonus features of the game (music and videos).

I liked the graphics. They are all scenes of the circus. Edges of the images are slightly softened, making things blend in more. Some of the H0 scenes ask for you to find 10-20 of a particular item, and looking at the scene you might be baffled because you can't spot them, so here's a Spoiler for that (highlight to see):
If there's a poster in the scene, click on it. It will bring up that image and the objects you are seeing will be inside it. Also, there is occasionally some interactivity in the H0 scenes, like putting the battery inside the "torch".

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 23, 12 1:38 PM
What a delightful game. Loved the Circus theme, The HOG's were a little hard to see at times but the music made up for it.. It kept your spirits up and was singing along. Had to find 2 hearts, think it had something to do with more hints?? Puzzles were of the old style along with the theme. Don't think I would pay the SE price, but a DD price.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 24, 12 2:25 AM
Welll right from the gitgo I knew I had to get this game. It is worth it to me just for the music. I must have used up 10 min of my demo time just on the first screen and didn't want the music to stop! I certainly didn't get any remote comparison to the Big City or other HOG series. Strange, I never use headset on my laptop and turn it down or off because the built in sound is so tinny and annoying. I read about the 30's music so dug them out and plugged in. WOW!! I was transported to my gramma's attic dancing around her big old windup Victrola. Thought I detected some stride piano, or a taste of Fats Waller. Then I was watching a circus setting up at 4 or 5am in the rain my Mom dragged us out of bed to see....and then

Oh, options, I'll be the girl and the story began. I love good stories in games and will struggle through a lot of gameplay just to read more and play more HOS. My head was swaying to the music and I brought myself to Play. Eeeks that first scene was hard, not used to this artist's style, some tiny things. Had to finally ask a Hint for a "Car Cap" afraid I was messing up some rule. Found the 2 hearts. I only gave myself 30 min to demo and used that up on the first HOS and easy memory card mini. I lingered long to enjoy the music and never a repeat track. Some songs I know and found myself singing along rather than searching objects. Watched the cute vintage black and white movie and am saving the second level for a buy!!

May be a love/hate game, reminded me a bit of Great Gatsby as far as period flavor and music. Curious if these are remasters of old records or if a new production I say KUDOs to those musicians and devs for hitting it right on. May even be monoural, didn't seem much separation on stereo phones. Only thing missing is the needle hitting a crack or slowing down to rewind LOL.

So hey, don't be too hard on the game play, it is incidental IMO, something to do while listening to great sounds. I usually listen to TV while on HOGs. Lifted my spirits and made me smile, needed it after a few downer months topside. It's fun!!

I wasn't going to buy games til I finish many in GM but this won my

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 24, 12 2:46 AM
I want to add to my review (ran out of space) that I look for games that I can play a few levels and resume another time when the mood hits me. I think this will be one, although maybe I'll be too emmersed in the story and want to know what's next. May not be confused as most games that I can't play in one sitting. And this one, you definately have to be in the mood...or want to be cheered up.

Should be quite a long game either way, but maybe too much environment too long at a time. May be 3 games here, you can choose to play as the circus Tent, a different point of view than the girl's? Forgot the 3rd one, not sure if just an avatar or a change in story perspective.

And if the graphics appear soft or faded out a bit, that also impresses me, it's the low tech printing techniques for color in its time. Like I said, IMO it is an aestetic package, sight and sounds with story package to hang a game on. An original as a standalone and wouldn't surprise me if it got some awards.

Edited on 04/24/2012 at 2:52:10 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 24, 12 3:22 AM
not for me I have poor eye sight and would like to keep what little I have the Items in the HO"S are quite small and I don't care for the hint button at all the sparkles takes away from where the small item is.........used the hint once and still couldn't find the item that was it deleted cute game though would of enjoyed it if not so little items

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 24, 12 4:21 AM
I almost missed this game! I like having a simple HOG in my Game Manager, one that I can play when I really don't want to get involved in a story and remembering what goes where.

This is a nice, relaxing plain HOG. The graphics fit the time period, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the 2nd heart in one of the scenes - and I'm determined to find the darned thing!

You do need good eyesight to find the objects, and I wouldn't recommend playing it on a small screen, but give it a try and see if you find it as charming as I do!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 24, 12 6:31 AM
nice nice game that I almost missed. Yes it is a basic hog with games after each scene..but the story and the timely graphics and the awesome music is enough to buy it right then and there.
My father's family were heavy into music and listening to the 1920-1040 sounds were just awesome. This was the real deal, not pretend music made in our era. I thought the cut scenes from the 30's were appropriate although some were 50's material.
I mean, the 30's weren't that long ago..the game does kinda present the era as if it were the Roman times.
But, it is very enjoyable, relaxing and although I don't like my wrists whapped when I click too much it is a done deal. Sold!
kris

EINSAM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by EINSAM on Apr 24, 12 11:07 AM
sinshack wrote:I almost missed this game! I like having a simple HOG in my Game Manager, one that I can play when I really don't want to get involved in a story and remembering what goes where.

This is a nice, relaxing plain HOG. The graphics fit the time period, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the 2nd heart in one of the scenes - and I'm determined to find the darned thing!

You do need good eyesight to find the objects, and I wouldn't recommend playing it on a small screen, but give it a try and see if you find it as charming as I do!

EINSAM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by EINSAM on Apr 24, 12 11:08 AM
sinshack wrote:This is a nice, relaxing plain HOG. The graphics fit the time period, but I'm having a heck of a time finding the 2nd heart in one of the scenes - and I'm determined to find the darned thing!

Did you ever find the 2nd Heart in the Mucking Up scene?

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 24, 12 12:09 PM
I enjoyed playing the game demo, and have decided to purchase it. Yes, it is a slower paced game, with basically hidden object scenes, and a few typical 'spot the differences', word, and other puzzles thrown in for good measure, but I found the music track reminiscent of another era so delightful to listen to, that I could not pass this up. The sound track caught me reflecting upon an era wrought with its own generational problems, yet still, in some respects, a much simpler, and perhaps kinder time than today. The music alone, had me smiling occassionally, and put me in a joyful state. I never thought I could even enjoy such music from my late grandmothers era, but find it quite good.

To make the game more challenging, some items are hard to spot right away, but if you take the time, you can find all without using one hint. I actually like HOG scenes that are more challenging. Another thing that I really enjoyed, is watching the real clips of the circus scenes, back in the 30's.

Edited on 04/24/2012 at 12:11:09 PM PST

Go to: