DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Runaway With The Circus

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 23, 12 1:19 AM
Hi all,
I seem to be in "swimming through blanc mange" mode with my Internet at the moment, and have not been able to find any useful information about this game quickly enough to suit my impatience other than the blurb posted here.
It seems more interesting than the Howard's Mansion offering, so I wondered if anyone out there has given this one a go yet?
Sometimes the second TNT offering is overlooked by the TGT fans.
Cheers

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

Re:Comments for Runaway With The Circus

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 23, 12 1:30 AM
Hi DLO - I've just posted a review which I hope helps a little.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 23, 12 1:33 AM
I haven't completed the demo just some initial thoughts

For those that hate how hidden object games have gone (adventure and inventory) well here is a game for you! No inventory, so no need for a walkthrough. A straight HOG.

So far it hasn't been junk piles but some have been tiny objects.
I liked the round of applause after completing each hidden object scene. Then you get a simple, old school puzzle (which you can skip).

You get points for speed spotting and puzzles and there is 2 modes of play, timed and casual. I got a bonus 'video' of a circus in the 30s (small in a journal onscreen)

It hasn't opened up in fullscreen and there hasn't been voiceover but I love the music - 30s (or is it 20s?). Story is set in the 30s. I think there could be 3 more stories as 3 areas where locked in main screen.

I feel this game unlike today's other offering has a more cohesive feel to it and fans of straight hidden object games should check this "old school feel hidden object game out."

It's not my cup of tea but enjoy. I did enjoy it better than the other one today.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 23, 12 2:07 AM
Hi JulieJay (I will check out your review) and gingergal,
Thanks for this information.
It seems we have two straight-old HOGS for this evening. I seem to prefer the premise of the Circus, who knows, it might just be that extra game for this month's PCC. LOL
Cheers

Ariinya
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by Ariinya on Apr 23, 12 8:21 AM
Just wondering... anyone remember a movie with this same plot? It was a great movie! I forget the title of it, but it WAS about a girl who lost her family to some fever, so she ran away to join the circus. It was... about horses, and the horse would run up a big ramp, way up high into the air, and the person would grab the horse and pull herself on just as it jumped into a pool of water. Very nice love story, too! ^_^

Edit: Ah! Wild Hearts Can't be Broken. Awesome movie, you should check it out!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 23, 12 8:53 AM
I really wanted to like this one, but just cannot do the HO scenes.
Items way too small for my ageing eyes. Used lots of hints trying
to get to some more of the puzzles, but when I needed to find
10 spinning tops and couldn't even find one, realized even hints
were not going to get me through. Even the 30's videos were
far too small.

Liked the atmosphere and the music, and am sorry I won't be
able to play.

ETA....Arinya, yes that was a very good movie. I believe the
setting was the old diving horses they used to have on the
Steel Pier in Atlantic City. I'm old enough to have seen them
in the 40's.

Edited on 04/23/2012 at 8:56:49 AM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Apr 23, 12 10:08 AM
joyce2121 wrote:I really wanted to like this one, but just cannot do the HO scenes.
far too small.

able to play.

in the 40's.

Agreed w/all of the above, not a buy for me. BTW loved Steel Pier when I was a kid!!

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Apr 23, 12 11:16 AM
joyce2121 wrote:I really wanted to like this one, but just cannot do the HO scenes.
were not going to get me through. Even the 30's videos were far too small.

Good day again joyce! I was really enjoying this game more than the TGT, where the items were impossible to find. But, like you, I found the items too small AND I too can't find the 10 spinning tops and had to quit. Even the hint button didn't help! Has anyone figured that one out? Are they in the sack and we need to figure out how to get them out? Geez, I'm feeling stupid today.

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Apr 23, 12 11:23 AM
The tops are on the lion poster on the left hand side. Sparkles appear when you get near it.
Hope this helps

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Apr 23, 12 1:12 PM
Thank you dippydebby, that did it. I think after a few more rounds of game play I'll get a little better at guessing what they want. I'm glad I found them, I really am enjoying the game.

memaw7
Marlin
Marlin
8,628 Posts

[Post New]by memaw7 on Apr 23, 12 1:49 PM
far too small.

able to play.

in the 40's.

I agree, I wanted so much to like this, a break from dark and spooky themes BUT I could not do the HO scenes, the items are just way too small for my old eyes. I did loved the music and am sad it just isn't for me.

12george
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by 12george on Apr 23, 12 2:48 PM
What an awful game to try to play.....Everything is so small so makes it hard to find things.....This could have been a good game if not for that.....I only lasted five minutes and deleted it.....Don't they realize some of us have old eyes .....lol

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 23, 12 3:49 PM
Wow, two hogs in the same day...I tried both and then bought both...should keep me busy for a bit, lol. Items to find are small, well hidden, and challenging in both games. I don't mind a challenge like these two. The music was way too upbeat for me this morning, so I just turned it way down. Should be a fun evening. Circuses, and secret rooms, oh my, which one do I play first...hmmm. What a week of games, and Picman himself...wish I could think that BF is turning the page and re-thinking their strategy. Will wait and see, lol.

[Post New]by fifilaflamme on Apr 23, 12 4:46 PM
Good game. Yes, it's difficult, but worth it because there are no witches, glowing eyes, evil spirits or missing doe-eyed children. YAY! Love the music and the challenge of this HOG.

moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

[Post New]by moonweaver on Apr 23, 12 10:36 PM
I played the demo and enjoyed it. As many have said, the hidden objects were tiny (sometimes) and also sometimes dark. When I used a hint, which I did often, sometimes I still couldn't see the object, so had to click around until I lucked onto it. My eyes are old, as well!

I won't spend a credit on it, but would buy it for a DD. Most of all, I loved the music. I was born in 1936, and my parents liked this kind of music, so I used to hear it at a young age. With most games, I turn the music down so far I can hardly hear it, especially if it's spooky, but this music I kept loud enough to hear, but not so loud as to distract me.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 24, 12 1:20 AM
memaw7 wrote:
far too small.

able to play.

in the 40's.

I agree, I wanted so much to like this, a break from dark and spooky themes BUT I could not do the HO scenes, the items are just way too small for my old eyes. I did loved the music and am sad it just isn't for me.

Me too - such a shame - looks like so much love has gone into the making of this game, but the gameplay itself is so poor - hint system doesn't work properly. I began clicking anything that looked out of place. I don't think I'd buy it even as a DD. It's just not enjoyable to play.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Apr 24, 12 12:13 PM
This one is ok but think I will wait until a sale or it is a DD. Had to use the hints quite a few times.

Regarding the tops..... took me a bit to figure it out. Kept clicking on the wheels. . Finally realized you have to click on the poster on the left side of the screen on one of the cages I think. All the tops are on that poster. Can't miss them.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 24, 12 1:35 PM
simisola wrote:
were not going to get me through. Even the 30's videos were far too small.

Good day again joyce! I was really enjoying this game more than the TGT, where the items were impossible to find. But, like you, I found the items too small AND I too can't find the 10 spinning tops and had to quit. Even the hint button didn't help! Has anyone figured that one out? Are they in the sack and we need to figure out how to get them out? Geez, I'm feeling stupid today.

In some scenes, you'll have 2 areas in which to search for items -- the main area and then an inset area.

The spinning tops are within a poster that's on your left-hand side attached to a lion's cage (?), I THINK it was a lion's cage; just click and open up that poster and you'll find all 10 of them within that small area.

MEnr56

NanaLoona
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

[Post New]by NanaLoona on Apr 25, 12 12:24 PM
I definitely have a Love/Hate relationship with this game.

I Adore the Music. I find myself dancing in my chair as the music plays.
I love the theme of the game. Who didn't love the circus as a child?
I love the artwork.
I like that you can go back to a scene if you didn't find both hearts.

I hate the teeny, tiny, little objects.
I hate that things are so hidden it is impossible to find the objects.
I hate that I still can't find the second heart in the Mucking scene.

All that said, I played the demo until time ran out but I didn't feel like buying the game. The objects were just too small. But two days later I used a punch card credit and bought it. The music kept looping through my mind and I knew I had to have the game. So I play a little bit and then have to take a break because of eye strain, but I'm still grooving to the music.

Nana

LOLOVESHOG
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by LOLOVESHOG on Apr 26, 12 11:52 AM
I'm in memories and can't find thread on a button. I click on hint and it just shows me the thread and not the button. HELP! What am I missing here?

Go to: