bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Shiver: Poltergeist

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 27, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Shiver: Poltergeist? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Shiver: Poltergeist page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Shiver: Poltergeist

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 27, 12 12:37 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 27, 12 12:55 AM
This is the review I posted in the CE thread for this game----so just ignore comments about the bonuses.
A very nice game. (And there are some 60 other reviews in the same thread!)

From Artogon comes this second offering in this series, a tale of probable murder, mayhem, arson, poltergeists, and other horrors in a mansion that has been inherited from long-forgotten and distant relatives. (complete with a snotty butler who as he tends to his "duties" has obviously let the mansion fall into complete rack and ruin).
So as the player it is your job to get the bottom of the multiple mysteries of the old mansion.
There are 3 difficulty settings so you can vary the challenge.
There are surprisingly good voice-overs, and the musical background is very spooky.
The HOS are well done and feature some slight interaction.
Puzzles are sparse, so far as I saw in the trial.
The usual suspects of bonus features are available (concept art, wallpapers).
And the game opens in widescreen as all the better developers are now doing.
The strategy guide is helpful, I suppose, but I did not really need it as the hint system is good enough to keep the fair to average player like me moving along----I almost never use them as they just seem to cancel all the challenge. But it's a nice feature.
Lots of back and forth so be ready for that.
The graphics----well, let's just say I've seen better, lots better. Too rough and a bit grainy.
The story itself, of course, is nothing new or different and I see a potential for boredom here that surprises me given that the previous offering (Vanishing Hitchhiker) wasn't plagued by that problem. In fact, of the two, the first one seems to be a much better game. The game is the 2nd of a series, not a sequel so the story is completely different, just not as interesting. (Certain sequels of games are plagued by redundancy.)
But overall, it is a good effort, just not spectacular.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 27, 12 12:58 AM
Hello Rhone... looks like it's just you and me here for now. Cup of tea?

Edited to add: Oh, it looks like cbtx sneaked in while I was typing. Cup of tea, cbtx?
--- --- ---

This review is based on the CE trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of widescreen (when I don't have "widescreen" ticked, the image stretches and fills all of my widescreen monitor).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor, although the system cursor is just a smaller version of the custom cursor.

The game has 7 chapters.

There is partially voice-over, meaning your character doesn't speak, but others do.

There is a diary on the left, in which you can find tasks, and photos you will take occasionally, and a map.

The map doesn't do anything, it just shows you the lay of the land, but not where you are or places where you need to do something, and you certainly can't use it to jump. It's just a dead map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are nicely spaced. The graphics are not the best, although objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button (which also works outside of the HOS) takes almost a minute to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped.

The SKIP button takes a long time to fill (over 90 seconds at least in Easy mode).

Graphics are not bad, but there is always improvement.

Gameplay is what I have come to expect of most games.

--- --- ---

Please don't hit me when I tell you that I found what I have played so far a trifle boring. I am beginning to feel as if I play the same game over and over, with different scenery and people, but having to do the same things over and over, doing things I have now done already in previous games a million times. Nothing new here, I'm afraid.

Also, there is quite a lot of ground to cover and, at the very least, I would have preferred to get an active map that shows me where I am at any given time.

I am also not pleased about the time it takes for both the HINT and SKIP buttons to fill in Easy mode. Can developers please NOT make the fill/refill times so long, especially in Easy mode. Half a minute should be maximum.

All in all, a decent enough game, but because the graphics/scenes are just gloom and doom throughout the game, I will most likely not even buy the SE.

Edited on 04/27/2012 at 1:35:18 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 27, 12 2:00 AM
This is a very good game with good graphic, gameplay, hogscenes etc. I like also the storyline and the artwork. For me its a definete buy

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Apr 27, 12 2:57 AM
yes same ole boring game play but theres not much you can do to improve on hidden object games I agree the map could of worked a little better for there is an awful lot of going back and forth but at least the hint button lets you know what to do or go............. all in all it is a good game .........give it a try and judge for yourself for me its a buy.................................

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 27, 12 5:33 AM
To me this is a bit 'same old, same old' I've done over and over before. More fountains to drain, more keys to find locked doors, more feathers and wrenches to find. (Put your own pet hate in here!!) Someone else says above that there aren't that many puzzles to break the monotony either. Such dark and dreary graphics also.

Sorry, but not for me.

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Apr 27, 12 5:34 AM
Seems like a good game from what I've seen, so may buy it to get another punch on my card. The one thing that always winds me up though, is the use of American voice actors who can't do an English accent to save their lives! The one in this game is particularly abysmal, especially when he says that he has to return to his "doodies", grrr!! If you're going to set a game in England, use English people for the voices!
Apart from that, not bad at all.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Apr 27, 12 7:07 AM
Great game. Graphics were in accord with the mood of the game and ho scenes not too overcrowded - I've seen a lot worse.

Voiceovers were great. However, I hate that they give the main character a voice at the beginning and then he goes mute. Added to that, my other pet hate is multiple choice dialogue. None of this actually deterred me from buying this game however because as long as a game has a good story, good graphics, smooth play, good ho's and puzzles, then I can overlook the negatives.

So far as the English accent is concerned, I thought it was great. I distinctly heard him say duties

Anyway, what in fact is an English accent? I am from the North East of England and have a broad geordie accent - now that is an English accent you will probably never hear in a game

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Apr 27, 12 4:59 PM
I enjoyed this game, but it was too short and the ending made no sense. After playing the game, I still don't understand the storyline.

The graphics are fine, the game plays very well, but I wish it didn't require you to go back and forth between puzzles. That got a little boring.

The HOS's are nice and the hints are great. Though I dislike HOG's, this one was okay because it has a little bit of everything for everyone.

All things considered, it's a nice game that will keep you occupied for a few hours.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Apr 27, 12 11:26 PM
finished the game too and wondered what happen..the story was good but it left you hanging. maybe there will be second part..good game over all.

[Post New]by andreacole70 on Apr 28, 12 12:28 PM
Just finished the game.

While I agree with many of the reviews regarding the similarity of this game to so many that are out there, I also believe that the amazing ones are going to be far and few between.

This was a fun game with short but fun puzzles that were not difficult at all. The hint button was only helpful in that it allowed you to know which direction to go. It did not help with specific puzzles once you were there.

The story line seemed interesting at first but didn't really go anywhere. There was so much of the story line that the creators could have fleshed out and they didn't. This almost makes the game not worth playing. Especially, if the story is what you most enjoy about a game.

The end was incredibly disappointing. Leaving me hanging isn't a crime. However, give me a little knowledge of where you want to go.

I need some chocolate.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 29, 12 7:52 AM
Anyway, what in fact is an English accent? I am from the North East of England and have a broad geordie accent - now that is an English accent you will probably never hear in a game

Check out Carol Reed! I reckon she's a geordie!

I think I may have underestimated this game cos I marked it down for a DD when the CE came out. I have enjoyed the demo - a lot of work has gone into this game. There is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing which gets a bit tedious. Still unsure after the disappointing reviews here.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Apr 30, 12 4:26 PM

This is a very good game with good graphic, gameplay, hogscenes etc. I like also the storyline and the artwork. For me its a definete buy

Edited on 04/30/2012 at 4:27:38 PM PST

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 30, 12 8:46 PM
Completely worth it! Had a good time playing! Cut scenes done very well! Had some creepy moments.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 30, 12 8:47 PM
Completely worth it! Had a good time playing! Cut scenes done very well! Had some creepy moments.

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 30, 12 8:47 PM

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 1, 12 5:28 AM
Certainly better as an SE than a CE, this game is ok. Nothing special but worth using a PCC on, there are plenty of HOS although none too difficult and grainy graphics but everything is clear enough to see without having to strain the eyes. Puzzles seemed few and far between and these too were not difficult.

For a rainy afternoon in England (which seems to be the norm here lately!) it's enough of a distraction for a few hours. And the butler's accent was great, sounded absolutely genuine to me! My only dislike is the ridiculous amount of locked doors. Surely if you had inherited a house, someone would have bothered to give you the keys. But then of course there would be no searching through piles of junk to find them

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on May 1, 12 8:18 AM

Terrific graphics. Choice of 3 levels at start. I picked easy only to advance quickly during Demo. Turned sound off after repeated distracting storm sound effects. Usual ominous dark rainy day music. HO are well sized and fit description. Hints refill quickly.
The negative from my view is waste of time spent going back and forth, in and out, up and down stairs. Fires and bleeding statues might be turn off for some.
All in all, it's an OK game for an hour but not a buy for me.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 1, 12 11:38 AM
I bought and have enjoyed playing thus far ~ the game is well done in most every aspect IMO.

~Fortunatus

Go to: