bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 28, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Apr 28, 12 12:37 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Apr 28, 12 12:50 AM
I played for about 35 minutes, then I quit so I could buy it. If you like dark and dreary, this game's a good one to try. If you are looking for bright and cheerful, this won't be what you are looking for.

Abandoned has the feel of a CE game for an SE price, and for me it's the perfect way to use up a punch card credit and fill another card this month.

It plays widescreen, and there is a stretch feature in the Options if you still get black bars on the sides of the screen. There is a Casual and Expert mode (or whatever they call it) as well as the usual options for music and effects volume, custom curser, etc.

The only thing I didn't like was that the graphics are - naturally - dark and dreary, and some of the objects in the hidden object scenes blend in too well. Others are pretty small, so I had to use at least one hint on every scene I encountered.

On the plus side, the HO scenes are interactive, with one or more items requiring you to combine objects. Some of the combinations might make you smile, others are a bit different that what you will be expecting so you need to think a bit out of the box. For a dark and dreary game, you can see some underlying humor by the developers.

Overall, this is a good game to try before you buy. Some will love it, some will hate it. For me, it's a buy.

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 12:51:49 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 28, 12 1:06 AM
Good morning sinshack and other fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is Widescreen. When ticked I still have a tiny bit of black border at the sides.

But there is also Stretch Screen. When ticked, the black borders disappear and the whole of my widescreen is filled.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice to adjust the brightness.

There is a GUIDE (walkthrough) at the top right-hand corner. It stays open where you last left it open.

There is a Journal at the left, but no map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are many. The graphics inside the HOS are terrible, and I had to use the HINT button more often than I cared.

Thank goodness, the HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, only takes 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles, of which I didn't see many while playing, can be skipped.

The SKIP button also only takes 30 seconds to fill. Thank you, devs.

Edited to add: There are 22 MORPHING items to be found.

--- --- ---

There is nothing new in the gameplay nor the story itself.

You have to make your way through an abandoned grimy-looking, messy, and well... abandoned-looking hospital to figure out certain things.

I had no joy whatsoever doing the HOS. And I no longer enjoy playing a game where I am confronted by one derelict place after another, especially if the graphics are a little rough, as they are in this game.
I am not talking about dark, but about joyless colouring, dead colours used in the game.

Anyway... I am sure there are lots of peeps who will love this game. To those: enjoy! But this game is not for me.

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 2:20:47 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 28, 12 1:17 AM
My review is based on demo. I like this game. It has all the CE extra's for SE prices. And that's a real deal. The story we've seen before but it's still interesting enough to hold your interest and it's very suspensefull. The graphics are dark in colors and hard to see the objects in the hidden objects scene's. But having the brightness option really helps.

This is most definitely a buy for me. Well Done! And for sure it should be a try. Thanks Nice job developers. And I'm looking forward to there other game that this game show's the preview for called "Frozen". It look's good. Overall this is a good game and worth buying IMO. Enjoy!

YES: Voice Over's (cut scene's)
YES: Wide Screen with Stretch
YES: Journal
YES: Guide with 5 Chapter's
YES: Hog Scene's
YES: Screen Brightness
YES: Sound/Music/Voice
Two diffuclties: Advanced/Casual
Extras: Wallpaper/Guide/Preview of there next game/Credits
Theme: "Psychological Thriller"

I rate this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by findlaybears on Apr 28, 12 1:37 AM
Based on the one hour trial played in Expert/Advanced mode, this game is a buy for me!
Sure, it's the same old creepy abandoned hospital/asylum theme, but it has good graphics and not-too-difficult interactive HOS. I encountered about 6 HOS and 2 or 3 mini games within the trial time. Plus, the guide is included on screen and...

there are MORPHING OBJECTS!! YAY!! lol

I had found 7 of the total 22 (in the game's definition: changing objects).

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 1:38:45 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Apr 28, 12 1:53 AM
Based on the trial:

This features of this game have already been perfectly described in the reviews above, so to avoid being completely redundant I will only make a couple of comments.

Yes, the game is dark and dreary, but in this game that adds to the "creepiness" factor, which I really like.

As all the other reviewers have said, there is a widescreen option that works plus an option to stretch it out to completely fill the screen. Yes, it can be done. (I don't normally have objection to the black bars unless the asking price is doubled-as in CEs-but it is worth pointing out that yet another dev has taken care of this programming feature. )

If the idea of another abandoned mental hospital is appealing to you, this is a good one. The HOS, the puzzles, the voice-overs, the journal, the morphing objects, and the achievements are all quite well done. And it is presented in a very spooky fashion with a very good story that I like and will buy this one immediately.

Excellent job devs (Lazy Turtle)----I like the new opening screen----keep 'em coming!!

And in a personal note, I'm delighted to see that LovetoMissLisa is back and reviewing again!!!! Missed you, Lisa, glad you're back.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 28, 12 2:03 AM
This offering from Lazy Turtle Games has an integrated strategy guide so no looking for a walkthrough, there are six achievements to win & 22 morphing objects to find, wallpapers, all this in a Standard Edition. Kudos to the developers.

I found the screen size difficult to set for my monitor (widescreen 24 inch) – the actual fullscreen setting meant I could not read the words at the top of the screen but if I switched off the screen was at least 1 inch too small all round & I could see my desktop.

The graphics are reasonably sharp (depending on how you set the screen size) but the artwork is dark & dreary, which given the nature of the story is not surprising. However it added to the difficulty in making out an object within the H0 scenes, these are the usual word lists but have several interactive items within each one; the objects are often well hidden or very small so they are not always easy to find.

The mini puzzles that I met during the demo were all easy; lock picking, tile sliding, etc.

There are two modes of gameplay, casual with a 30 second hint recharge, sparkles & glints or expert with 60 second hint & the hidden object scenes sparkle. I confess I did not find a great deal of difference between the two.

There are a few voiceovers when you encounter a character & these are excellent, the music & background sounds are very subtle. During the demo the story element was not very apparent so can't comment on how that might flesh out during the full game but it wasn't that creepy during my hour of play.

ETA having finally finished I can add that the game did get creepier after the demo, particularly the opening of the patients rooms. The Strategy Guide did not show all of the morphing objects, I only found 16 so was disappointed that they were not marked in the guide. There is a lot of going back & forth, particularly when you have to open the patients rooms & a map would have helped. However it was a good game to play & took me just under four hours.

Edited on 05/07/2012 at 3:44:50 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Apr 28, 12 2:08 AM
Yes, we've seen abandoned asylums before, haven't we? But you know, so much in this world is copied and adjusted a little to make it look different. Well, this is such a product. Decide for yourself if you like it enough to play.

I do anyway. It has an atmosphere I like, don't know why, but there it is. Furthermore there seem to be morphing objects, although I haven't seen them in the demo, probably overlooked them, but I'm a fan of morphing objects, so this is a plus.

Thre are voice-overs too, another favorite of mine. The boy looked so desperate and lonely I immeditately felt the urge to help him and find out what happened.

Admitted, the H0 scenes aren't too easy because of dark coloured or blended in objects. But they're interactive, which makes up for those flaws to me.

Finally this game is sold for the regular price, so I can buy it with a coupon.

Good game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 28, 12 2:51 AM
Well I needed one more game to fill my card and this is it because for an SE price I am delighted to see that we get ...

** A Strategy Guide which shows 5 Chapters (37 pages)
** Achievements
** A choice of 4 Wallpapers (already in use so I know which game I am currently playing )
** Morphing objects, 22 in all
** A Brightness option (saves nose marks on the screen )
** Two modes of play Casual and Expert
** Voiceovers

Devs

Thank you very much, it looks like you have given us all we ask for in a game including interactive HO scenes to make them less boring .

Thanks also for the Sneak Peek at your next game, being 'Frozen' in a ship in the ice will be a nice change from asylums or exploring the ship while it is underneath an iceberg .

Players Be Aware

I do not have a widescreen monitor as I do not like them and when I unticked that option I found that I can move my screen sideways slightly as I play so that I do not miss anything that would be on the edges of a widescreen. This does not affect me at all but there is an outside chance that it might make some of you slightly but there is a chance that it might not so please demo for yourselves.

Cherb

ETA ...

For information purposes ...

I did not experience any problems with this game whatsoever.

Thanks Devs

I really enjoyed playing this game and thought it was excellent value for the money

Edited on 04/29/2012 at 12:07:15 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 28, 12 2:58 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I like the fact it has morphing objects, interactive hog scenes, lots of places to go, strategy guide.......lots of things SE's now a days don't have.

But the hog scenes are terrible. No matter what brightness I put it at, I had a very hard time seeing things! In fact I dreaded running into those scenes, and I like hogs!!

I left myself a few minutes to play later on, and hope my enthusiasm picks up for it, with all the bells and whistles it should scream BUY ME but it doesn't.

Bolded: There are quite a few hidden object scenes, and I also had a terrible time finding the objects. In fact, even when I used a hint and it showed me where an object could be found, I still often couldn't see it properly and just clicked in that general direction shown.

I had to use quite a few hints for each HOS, and that really put me off, especially since there are quite a few of those.

I also found the images in the main scenes quite dreary and drepressing, and I may have not minded them so much if the graphics had been superb (give me the graphics of ERS any day). But as it was, although they aren't too bad, the tones of the colours were just too lifeless for me.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Apr 28, 12 5:00 AM
I get dark and dreary, but it is no fun to play a game with graphics so dark that you need a hint to find everything. No amount of brightness altering makes it better. Sorry, this is a no buy for me.

BTW I played for 2 minutes....that was enough.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 28, 12 6:15 AM
Wow! There is a lot to do in this game Almost to the point of confusion.
Al though the graphics are very dark and foggy and the story has been used many times I enoyed the demo

I was very suprised to see a Guide with a SE game. That's always a bonus! Unfortunately I was so ingrossed in finding things that I didn't think to check the length but imagine I will read it somewhere here

I liked the way they did the voice overs in this. Another bonus!

The hidden object scenes are interactive and fun but a bit dark making them more difficult. The mini games I encountered during the demo were quite easy but who knows whats to come.

As I said at the begining you are given many different tasks at once so you really have to pay attention. No watching TV and playing

I didn't notice the morphing objects until well into the demo and then only after my grand daughter sat down next to me and said "Gram why is that thing changing?" LOL I'm really not THAT old

As soon as I find a review with a hint toward length I will be buying this. Good entertainment with CE bonuses at a SE price BONUS!!!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Apr 28, 12 6:39 AM
I am not as good of a reviewer as others. I am not sure about this game. The graphics are rather blurry, dark and dreary. I know it is a HOG, but I played about 45 minutes of the demo and I thought there were way too many HOS. I need three more punches on my card for the month and I have a PCC I have to use by tomorrow. I will go back to this game later and see if I change my mind, but as of right now, I think I will pass.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 28, 12 6:45 AM
On paper this is a CE worthy game - built in Strategy guide, and even morphs which I love, also the opening cutscene did grab me. So what's not to love about it? Quite a few things -

In the hour demo I found 8 junk pile or very cluttered, tiny items hidden object scenes, although some of the interactions were good. That coupled with some of the items I had to pick up, including some morphs were very small. My eyes can't take this game.

I switched back and forth with the hardness option (nice touch I appreciate being able to do this) to the casual setting when playing the H O scenes as then I didn't get a random click penalty.

I only came across 2 or 3 puzzles
(swap the tiles, and a put the valves all to same setting. If you call the lock pick a puzzle it's 3). I'd put up with the fact they were really easy and we've seen them before but there are supposed to be puzzles in a HOPA. So would like the ratio to be at least the same amount of H O scenes. IMO I'd like to see less H O scenes in the ratio.

The graphics were OK. I agree with valdy - some had no depth or colour to it but I did come across an area that did have richness, depth and colour (study.) I felt they were a bit incosistent. I didn't have a problem with darkness and there was an option to turn up the light, which I appreciated.

I don't use SG but I know many will appreciate it. If you love H O scenes and don't mind that some items are small then do check it out, I think you may enjoy it.

Even though there are morphs - the amount of H O scenes and tiny hard to find items (really I couldn't bear to come across another one), hardly any puzzles and easy ones when they are, makes it not enjoyable for me. That coupled with the fact the rest of the gameplay is just average all adds up to a no purchase with coupon for me.

I'd give it a D for my own rating an a more objective C- for those that love a lot of hidden object scenes.

edit - the glitch got fixed and managed to play the whole hour.

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 2:51:12 PM PST

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Apr 28, 12 6:49 AM
angelfishp wrote:I am not as good of a reviewer as others. I am not sure about this game. The graphics are rather blurry, dark and dreary. I know it is a HOG, but I played about 45 minutes of the demo and I thought there were way too many HOS. I need three more punches on my card for the month and I have a PCC I have to use by tomorrow. I will go back to this game later and see if I change my mind, but as of right now, I think I will pass.

I agree but do not see a reason to try again. Way to many HOGS for my taste.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 28, 12 7:11 AM
Since the reviews are so mixed I didn't know what to expect:
graphics:dark, well painted, but a wee too much junk piling for a fun HOG experience.
gameplay:confusing presently. I don't have a good feel at all of where I'm going and why..just trying scene after scene looking for situations where I might use an object or find a hog,,that feels unfocused.
screen issue: I don't have a wide screen, so the list of hog items were cut off. I had to crl/alt del to get out since the menu was out of sight. Once back in the game..hit the options to change the sixe ..and though that worked as far as seeign the menu, hint etc,,,now there is scrolling side to side.
seems like a lot of work, for enjoyment sake. Still, the jury is out..I haven't bumped into the glitches yet.
kris

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 28, 12 7:21 AM
My review of yesterday's game could just as easily be used for today's. Dark, dreary, seen it all before etc. Set in an asylum, hospital, mansion etc - all interchangable. More locked doors (sigh), many very dark H0 scenes where you have to find the same sort of things as every other H0 scene. And finally very few, very easy puzzles. Again, I am sorry to be so negative fishies.

There are a couple of positives, interactive objects in H0 scenes and apparently (as I never found any) morphing objects. But this is not enough for me to buy it.

I seem to be playing more and more strategy and M3 these days.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 28, 12 8:24 AM
This review is based on the demo version

Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum starts out with a well done cutscene that draws you into the a personal nightmare of being chased through a ramshackle building that ends with falling into an elevator pit. You waken to find that in reality, someone else has met your fate. Not a bad beginning for yet another asylum game. And though I'm not a huge lover of the overdone dark and eerie "guess what happened here" game, this one is holding my attention.

Up front options include sliders for music/sound/brightness (note: it would be nice to have a separate volume control for voices); widescreen/fullscreen/stretch fullscreen (for widescreen monitor users who want to cover their screens and don't mind distortion or roll off)/custom cursor. The game also offers 2 game play modes - Casual and Expert but the only difference noted between the two is the amount of time it takes the hint and skip buttons to charge. However, I tested both and can say that Expert mode does not higlight active areas, but does highlight HOS. And there are LOTS of hints given in the journal. Some suggestive hints are given in the text, but they are not blatant, i.e. they don't come right out and tell you the exact tool needed.

The HOS are junkpile style with interactive objects included. So far there seems to be one HOS for every 3-4 scenes. The objects are of good size with none being overly small/tiny. None of the HOS have been reused so far, but I didn't go very far in the demo. There are morphing objects that are very subtly done (bravo) as well as achievements. I didn't find the game or HOS overly dark for an abandoned asylum. The ambient sound FX are well done and suitable and the graphics are very sharp and clear. This game is a definite buy for me because I think it's an excellent story so far, it has great morphing objects and achievements and it's well done technically and its nice to look at. I'll be back to write a full review later.

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 8:31:08 AM PST

blessed34
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by blessed34 on Apr 28, 12 9:23 AM
I really wanted to love this game but it just doesn't grab me. The graphics are nicely done.
There are voiceovers. There seemed to be a lot to do and I love the morphing objects. It really did seem like a CE game for an SE price and I debated with myself on buying it but I really dislike the hos! And there are a lot of them and they feel like a chore. I found myself dreading the next hos as they were difficult to see and tedious.

Go to: