shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for Theatre of the Absurd Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 29, 12 12:35 AM
Hello everyone. I happened to be in the forums so I thought I would get the comments thread started. I will be interested to read the comments on this game later. Have a good Sunday and happy gaming!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Comments for Theatre of the Absurd Collector's Edition

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Apr 29, 12 12:39 AM
I can't believe this is a Collectors Edition. I don't know what happened to this developer but I really don't like where they are going with their latest game ideas. This game feels old school and not in a good way. There isn't even a custom cursor and the graphics are not up to par. It sounds like the girls voice from Margrove manor and clicking the hidden objects makes me feel like Im playing the piano. I don't know about this one...

sandyterryb
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by sandyterryb on Apr 29, 12 12:49 AM
I lasted about 15 minutes on this one. Thought it rather vague as to what you were supposed to be doing. Found it very annoying when you`d go to the same spot more than once and the woman would keep repeating herself. Also found the objects in the hidden object scenes to be quite small and just not fun to look for. Did not find this to be a very colorful game either but rather on the dreary side. Was quite pleased with yesterdays game however and very happy I`d purchased it.

Angel369
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by Angel369 on Apr 29, 12 12:54 AM
wild and windy in the UK today, perfect setting for this game just bit bothered that I'm enjoying it so far, and bit puzzled by the full download being just 151.12 MB maybe a slip of the fin?
anyway going to finish the demo and make my mind up then...happy gaming everyone

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 29, 12 12:55 AM
This one is weird, and I am intrigued enough that I bought it. The lack of a custom cursor threw me too, and I kept looking for that option, lol. But turns out when you are at a point where normally your cursor would change, this one doesn't but the screen does. Interesting. Music is strange, sounds are strange, and the graphics are good enough to make finding objects difficult. So far it is a bit different and I think you will either hate it or you will love it. Me, I am going to go play some more!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 29, 12 12:56 AM
Oh gads.... no further comment.

tizza
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by tizza on Apr 29, 12 12:58 AM
What Fortunatus said!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 29, 12 1:06 AM
This is not my cup of tea. I agree with FORTUNATUS & tizza

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 29, 12 1:12 AM
LOL @ Angel and Wolfen Don't feel all alone... I played this game already and I had a good time and liked it. It's definitely different, maybe that's what I liked about it. I turned the voice volume all of the way down and had fun.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 29, 12 1:14 AM
I really liked the gameplay. What put me off this game were the HOS. There were just below par in every respect.

I will probably buy the SE when it's out, but not the CE.

Now... I need 3 more punches to fill my card, and am trying to decide whether to get the CE for "Flying Dutchman" or the last "PuppetShow". I have seen the bonus game in the walkthrough that is posted at the other site, and quite liked what I saw. However, I have not seen the bonus game for "Flying Dutchman", so I don't know whether it's good or not. I am not too concerned with length, only quality.

Has anyone played either and liked the bonus game(s) ? Still have till tomorrow to decide on which game to buy.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 29, 12 1:15 AM
I like the game. The HOS are not very good. I like the puzzles. It's a weird game, but I like that. Only I can buy it on tuesday. I need one more punch for my card. So I have to wait.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Apr 29, 12 1:16 AM
If you're a fishie who isn't fond of occult-oriented, demons, magic, soul-stealing and other dark, dark themes games, you may want to take a pass on this one. (I'm not judging, just giving a a friendly heads-up because this is darker than usual.)

For myself, I don't mind if the story grabs me. This one does. Kinda. It's sorta weird. There's not a lot about this game that is new - same save-the-kid story, same plain H0's, same mini-games - but the way it's all put together is intriguing. The hint system is unique, the atmosphere is super-moody, voice overs are good, and inventory puzzles are occasionally tricky.

I'd be considering it as a CE except for one thing. You gain a power and (presumably) gain more as the game progresses. That's a pretty nifty mechanic and one that would add challenge to the game. Except the game tells you that you need to use it! Bummer! If I knew that there weren't hints for using which power, I'd be much more interested in buying this.

Kudo's to the devs for the sneaky bonus content preview. It's premium advertising psychology and it works. Really gets into your head.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 29, 12 1:17 AM
Bless your heart, Shadow, lol, I was just thinking how strange it was that so far only two of us actually like it, and that is kind of a lonely feeling And then I read yours. Ok, off to get engrossed.

By the way, the game fills my widescreen, and the voice overs fit so far.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Apr 29, 12 1:21 AM
Morning every body

I also agree with Fortunaus and Tizza , I found the flickering lights in the hidden objects unnecessary and disturbing,such a shame.

Just have to scroll through my old games and hope I find one I've forgotten about , as somebody said its a cold wet windy day here and I don't plan to go far.

Hello Shadow fax hope all is well with you today.

Linda

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 29, 12 1:24 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Bless your heart, Shadow, lol, I was just thinking how strange it was that so far only two of us actually like it, and that is kind of a lonely feeling And then I read yours. Ok, off to get engrossed.

By the way, the game fills my widescreen, and the voice overs fit so far.

Oooh... someone didn't read my comment. I like this game as well, I just don't like the HOS. They are quite unacceptable for me. But otherwise, I thought this was a very unusual game.

So... can anyone help me decide which CE to buy?

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Apr 29, 12 1:27 AM
HI Valdi the Puppet Show was brilliant, but I didn't take to the Flying Dutchman at all.

My favorite this week was the Wax Beauty.

Enjoy your day

Linda

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 29, 12 1:32 AM
Even when I don't like a game, I'm very happy for everyone who likes it. You get a new game to play. And I look forward to another day when maybe the new game is for me. For those of you who like it, Enjoy!

Shadowfax44:

Have fun with TGT or another game everyone!

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Apr 29, 12 1:39 AM
Hi Valdy.
I have played both games and I preferred the "Dutchman". I bought the Puppet Show as I have all the others in the series but I must say that I was disappointed in this one. The story line was too improbable and , to me, boring.
The bonus game in "Dutchnan" was great fun!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 29, 12 1:39 AM
Hapless wrote:HI Valdi the Puppet Show was brilliant, but I didn't take to the Flying Dutchman at all.

My favorite this week was the Wax Beauty.

Enjoy your day

Linda

Hapless!! Thank you so much for the reply. I too was thinking of getting PuppetShow, but wanted to see if someone might favour "Flying Dutchman".

Thanks again. Off to buy "PuppetShow". Yayyy!!

bradalex wrote:Hi Valdy.
I have played both games and I preferred the "Dutchman". I bought the Puppet Show as I have all the others in the series but I must say that I was disappointed in this one. The story line was too improbable and , to me, boring.
The bonus game in "Dutchnan" was great fun!

Oh dear... now I am confused. LOL Thank you very much, Bradalex. I too liked the demo of "Flying Dutchman" a lot, but haven't seen the walkthrough for the bonus game, so wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Now I still have to think about it. LOL

Edited on 04/29/2012 at 1:41:12 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 29, 12 1:40 AM
Valdy: "So... can anyone help me decide which CE to buy?"

LOL, any ERS will do the trick... Song of the Phoenix is 1st top download (I liked it better), and the Puppet Show 4 is 3rd top download (liked it less).

I can't believe it's (removed by Moderator) game - I got scared immediately...

Edited on 04/29/2012 at 3:02:13 AM PST

Go to: