bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover™

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 2, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover™? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover™ page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover™

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 2, 12 12:38 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 2, 12 1:28 AM
If you liked the first Gardenscapes (which I did) then you will certainly enjoy this sequel! Very much like the original but with some variation; this time you are inside the mansion, which is in a sorry state and needs lots of updating. Cue plenty of auctions in various rooms to buy items such as chairs, carpets, bookcases, even a TV for Austin to watch!

The little dog is back and also the letters from various people asking for 20 of a specific item. There are also a few tasks to perform, such as finding parts of broken vases or dog biscuits, which are a welcome distraction occasionally from the cluttered rooms! And you can play in relaxed or timed mode.

Unlike the first Gardenscapes, there is an ending to Mansion Makeover which I will not spoil by revealing what happens! Enough to say it was a real surprise and a fun way to finish the game I'm assuming this is included in the standard edition: I bought the CE from the devs which supposedly offered additional gameplay. In fact it was only one extra auction, which I thought was a real disappointment and not worth the higher cost.

Overall a very good follow up to the original

Edited on 05/02/2012 at 1:28:46 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on May 2, 12 1:38 AM
Absolutley pure joy and having played Gardenscapes, I did not hesitate to buy one. This time Austine and his pet dog (Which I named M'Lord) are back and need your help to fix up inside the manor. The Graphics and annimations are top-notch and I love the sound effects. To make money to do the rennovations, you need to partake in rummage sales and the HOG scenes are great. You have two modes of play, timed or relax and many hints to collect on the way. I love that there is interaction between you and Austine and the dog. I also love the mini games and the puzzles that you get to play. If you are a fan of Classical HOG games, this one is a must. It will deffinitely spruce up your day and put a smile on your face. Happy gaming!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 2, 12 4:30 AM
This review is based on the demo, which I played in Relaxed mode.

You can play in Relaxed mode, by ticking it, or play the timed mode by unticking it.

You can get Sparkle hints in the HOS by ticking the box, and you don't get them when you keep the box unticked.

You can use a custom or system cursor.

The game comes in widescreen, but the play area does not fill out, but you will see those brown bars on either side.

This game also comes with a "Screensaver", even though it's not a CE.

The graphics are very nice.

There is no voice-over.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) have nice graphics and images are clear and easy to identify.

You can have up to 5 HINTS max. When you use a hint in the HOS, you are not shown where an object can be found, but one of the words in the list will turn into an image, so you know what it looks like.

When you play the next HOS, you will find a question mark. Click on it, and this will add another hint to your HINT button. You won't find question marks if you have 5 hints.

--- --- ---

Unlike the first Gardenscapes game, where you had to redo your garden, you are now renovating the hall in the mansion.

Every so often you have other tasks to do: fixing a leaky pipe, for example.

This game, like the last one, has lots of animation. Also, some of the object in the HOS, when you touch them with your cursor, they move, or a candle lights up, etc.

--- --- ---

Personally, I preferred overhauling the garden in the first game, but I prefer the HOS in this one. Either way, it's definitely a buy for me.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 2, 12 5:10 AM
I swear it was only a few minutes between the time I opened this game and when the demo ran out, but when I looked at the clock I really was playing for an hour! Luckily I have a spare punch credit to use!

If you love simple HOGs, this is a great game to try. TM fans might enjoy playing in Timed mode (it kind of has that "satisfy the customer" feel of a TM,) but I prefer Relaxed.

I named my dog Cuddles. It's early in the morning, it's drizzly, and I just needed a Cuddles.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on May 2, 12 6:39 AM
Bought this game right away.
I absolutely loved the last one.
Just lots of fun.

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on May 2, 12 6:42 AM
I bought this from the devs a few weeks ago (It came at a time when I really needed something) and I definitely enjoyed it. I feel calling it a CE because of one extra auction plus extra music was a bit over the top but it's still a great game.

I loved the original Gardenscapes so was delighted when they brought this one out. If you played the first one, this one is very similar only the inside of the house instead of the outside. Austin is his usual self (I would love to have my own Austin, lol) and I enjoy his comments. I very much like a good sense of humor!

The game is very similar to the original, HOS scenes which are generally not junkpiles, there are small, quick, sparkles in relaxed (I don't care for rushing my way through) the music is nice, you periodically get requests from other people and look for objects for them, and occasionally fix something around the house. The dog is cute (although I am more of a cat person ) and definitely adds to the atmosphere. The only thing I didn't care for (and this is just me) is some of what was offered for fixing the place up seemed a little odd and over the top and some things simply didn't match. However, that's my PERSONAL perception and I very much enjoyed the game anyway. It's worth a look and trial and as far as I'm concerned, Austin makes the game! I definitely recommend it.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on May 2, 12 7:02 AM
Having loved the first Gardenscapes I was delighted when I saw this one being offered. I'm very pleased to say, it maintains the same high standards as the original. It's very attractive visually and has the wonderful sense of humor seen in the first. The game can be played in relaxed or timed modes, and hints come in three forms, question marks, thermometers and cameras. You can partly control what Austin,the butler is doing by clicking on certain objects. For example if you click on the rocking chair a couple times, he'll decide he should sit down and have a rest. I get my game credit some time today and the moment I do I'll be getting this game.

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on May 2, 12 7:12 AM
2 new TM games in one day!! Pinch Me!!

Great game, great graphics..exactly like the other Gardenscapes but that's ok. It's fun and colorful. I like being able to name the dog after my own dog and have the guy refer to him by name. A buy for me!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 2, 12 10:26 AM
A nice game to relax by and to decorate with pretty things. Graphics are great and love the characters.. Time flew by and the trial was over before I knew it. Guess that tells you it's a fun game to play..

twohappy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by twohappy on May 2, 12 12:51 PM
I was excited when I saw a new Gardenscapes as I enjoyed the first one! This one does not disappoint! A buy for me!!

(It's a nice change from the darker games I think!!)

twohappy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by twohappy on May 2, 12 12:53 PM
I was excited when I saw a new Gardenscapes as I enjoyed the first one! This one does not disappoint! A buy for me!!

(It's a nice change from the darker games I think!!)

letsdoit
Shark
Shark
10,483 Posts

[Post New]by letsdoit on May 2, 12 7:28 PM
Valdy...spot on review!

I had d/l demo about a month ago from dev's site (a first for me to go to the other site but believe they are 'married' in the game industry?)...anywho played the hour and it was begging me to buy, buy, buy!...but I did the and have been playing all day til my eyes wore out! ....great sequel and + game!

So am in luv with Austin and named the little pup creature Texas!

Question is I have has searched everywhere is why did the front door and garage door? (far left white door) ....NEVER...opened?...will check out the tech thread but seemed strange b/c got lots of $$$$ and did all the repairs, letters of request...well its a mystery?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 3, 12 1:19 AM
I've played all the Scapes games, although I haven't finished GSMansion yet. And I'm not in a hurry for it to end, it is just such a fun place to go for awhile between other more intense games. I do have the dev's CE version, sent to me for doing the beta and survey.

This version GS2 IMO is way over the head of GS1. Tasks to do, fixing things, looking for parts to broken stuff. It's much more player involved. The HOS are not grainy or dark corners or tiny like before. Pretty much in your face, but colorful, clear and the game flows easily back to choosing furnishings. I didn't buy but one thing so I could save for the doggie sooner, and watching them interact is fun. We do get to go out in the garden for some tasks.

The best part of this game is not playing, but sit back, rest, watch Austin and his constant dialogue to self and to you. Click on the TV and watch the show with him (including a commercial for one of their games LOL. I kind of hate to leave the scene and miss his next ramble. Blick the bookcase and he goes for a book. Buy a clock and hang around to see what he says about pasta etc. Like watching a mini movie and you are part of it.

There are more animations, like in the HOS, subtle details I appreciate. If your pointer gets close to baloons they move and bob as if you bumped them; candles light up when you touch them, nothing to do with the game, just keeps the HOS from getting static, breezes, movement. Very well thought out. The only thing I missed is the clocks being set to read time like GS1, noted that on the survey. Never saw that in another game, don't know why it is left out. Was anxious to buy a clock just to see.

Music starts out a bit hokey, peppy, and turned it way down, but in later scenes some tracks are playful, waltztime, different so not too annoying. I had the dev edition of Farmscapes too and wasn't that much difference for a CE, maybe 35 more M3s to play. Maybe a door that won't open is the extra location on the CE, just one for xtra play from what I read. I'll know when I get there.

If you haven't played any of them, GS2 is much improved and more fun IMO. If you like it then look for GS1 for a pcc free. Both are excellent and out of the mid stream. If you prefer M3 over HOGs. it's Farmscapes, match 3 vegies for money to improve the farm and some HOGs and mini tasks, story of boy spending summer with his Grampa.

So far, this is my favorite, and I'm not rushing through it, hate for it to end

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 3, 12 2:00 AM
I agree with all the favorable reviews here.

A very nice change of pace that is way up on the fun scale.

Try this one for sure!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 3, 12 10:37 AM
I agree with all the pluses. I have Gardenscape and really love that type of game. It's fun to pick out stuf. Nice graphics, music and game play. Not much in the way of games and nothing really difficult. I really like this one and am using a credit right now. Thanks for the reviews.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 3, 12 12:32 PM
This is a good game with good graphic and very funny gameplay. I personally liked the first Gardenscapes game a little bit more, but its still very good. Its a buy for me

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on May 3, 12 9:18 PM
Loved first Gardenscapes so this one was an immediate buy. Graphics great, not hard to find stuff (except that wretched shuttlecock that appears in each one but that's just me). I love the interaction with Austin and the dog, watching the bird and the TV plus all the little appearances of other Playrix games posters, stickers and stuffed toys. It's also good to have the two types of HOs, one with the variety of customers and the others with individual buyers just wanting the one type of item. I would like to have more cameras appear but that's my only complaint. Great buy for families.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on May 4, 12 5:02 AM
I own the first Gardenscapes and enjoyed it! I bought this one immediately. I agree with all the favorable reviews and comments but have a question. I finished the game and still had two windows that had not opened for play. Does anyone know why that is? One looks to be the bathroom, I don't remember what the other one looks like.

I particularly enjoyed Austin playing the piano I named my doggie, Gus.

Game is a lot of fun and I was hoping it would go on and on.

I'll give it simply because there are two rooms still unplayed that I can't open.

Faylyn

Edited on 05/04/2012 at 5:03:03 AM PST

Go to: