bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 3, 12 12:48 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 3, 12 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 3, 12 1:33 AM
I liked the first game, "Temple of Night", played the Beta of this one and liked it too. Bought of course...

This time your adventure is in Thailand, and you collect a lot of native objects. Like the first one, you move between "worlds" (old and new), and solve many of the "Reversed HOGs" - put objects in their logical place, including interactions. The Adventure mode is larger than the HOG scenes.

There is some help out of the HOS, showing you which object you need to advance. Enough to give you a direction.

Length:

Main game: 7 chapters - 45 pages on the SG.
Bonus part: 46 to 65 pages - 20 pages! Quite long.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 3, 12 1:44 AM
Based on the trial:

This game is a prime example of everything else you've seen before. There is absolutely nothing new or original to be found in any aspect of the game.

The story has to do with someone who has been taken by a terrible demon that you must catch up to and rescue----I think----the game just sort of drops you in the middle of the situation without a lot of explanation. And then you get busy with the usual "clear the path, find the key, repair the bridge, get the water, blah, blah, blah." And there are HOS and puzzles along the way, both of which are completely lacking in imagination. The HOS are ordinary in every way with a little bit of interaction that we've seen many times.

The graphics are ok, but I've seen much better.

There is the usual cluster of bonus material (SG that stays where you leave it, bonus game, wallpapers that are locked, same for mini-games).

And there's a widescreen option that does not work----now common with the Eastern European devs it seems.

In the final analysis the game commits the cardinal sin of complete boredom----it just screams "me too, me too". Nothing but a rehash of what so many other games have done and done much better.

CE money for this borefest is just laughable, wouldn't even be interested as a SE or DD.

As always, try for yourself. (with a good strong cup of coffee )

(tex--best to you )

Ed-spelling

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 1:54:02 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 3, 12 2:26 AM
While I have been refusing to buy CE's that lock items such as wallpaper until after the whole game has been played when it is completely redundant, I am going to make an exception in this case because I enjoyed the first Secrets of the Dark and the changing the appearance of the room by changing the lighting aspect.

I also like the voiceovers, pleasant music and sound effects (although I would like a game called Secrets of the Light so that we could have sunshine instead of incessant rain because I am having enough rain with days and days of it in real life ).

The graphics are reasonably good and the items in the hidden object scenes I have come across so far have been clear to see and I appreciated the one scene where you had to put the items back into the scene instead of removing them. The more variety of, and interaction in, HO scenes the better I like them.

There are also 3 modes of play ... Regular, Advanced and Hardcore ... which gives everyone the opportunity to play the game according to their individual skill levels, thanks for these options devs .

Cherb

ETA ...

I forgot to say that I liked the fact that this game is set in Thailand which is a nice change from Egypt, South America etc.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 6:31:08 AM PST

crispypot
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

[Post New]by crispypot on May 3, 12 2:35 AM
I have to agree with cbtx on this one, i played the hour demo in advanced mode and to be honest i found it way to easy and very boring !!! i never got to play the first game cos it was the one game that wouldn`t save to my pc so dont know whether to persevere with it or not ?? It just didn`t tickle my tentacles i`m afraid

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 2:40:44 AM PST

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on May 3, 12 3:17 AM
cbtx wrote:Based on the trial:

This game is a prime example of everything else you've seen before. There is absolutely nothing new or original to be found in any aspect of the game.

The story has to do with someone who has been taken by a terrible demon that you must catch up to and rescue----I think----the game just sort of drops you in the middle of the situation without a lot of explanation. And then you get busy with the usual "clear the path, find the key, repair the bridge, get the water, blah, blah, blah." And there are HOS and puzzles along the way, both of which are completely lacking in imagination. The HOS are ordinary in every way with a little bit of interaction that we've seen many times.

There is the usual cluster of bonus material (SG that stays where you leave it, bonus game, wallpapers that are locked, same for mini-games).

And there's a widescreen option that does not work----now common with the Eastern European devs it seems.

In the final analysis the game commits the cardinal sin of complete boredom----it just screams "me too, me too". Nothing but a rehash of what so many other games have done and done much better.

CE money for this borefest is just laughable, wouldn't even be interested as a SE or DD.

(tex--best to you )

Ed-spelling

I agree. I took one look at the storyline and the pictures and decided not to even download it - played this storyline 100 times before, dark and gloomy pics as usual. PLEASE can developers get off the dark and gloomy gravyboat and start producing more fun storylines - hire a scriptwriter!! And brighten up the games. A definite no buy for me.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 3, 12 3:18 AM
I disagree with the detractors, lol. I like this game, and I don't care if I have seen some of this before as I enjoy these games. This one has lots of things to do, and they aren't the 'keep the silly hogger running around for trivial items to stretch out the game play" type things. The puzzles are all tweaked to make them a bit different. It fills my whole wide screen, and I love the thunder. I haven't had rain in ages here, so love it when it is in the games. I enjoy the way the scenes change, like in the first one, and I don't find the graphics too dark. I have played for almost three hours, and according to the guide, I am not even near the halfway point. I had to make myself quit, as I know that I would kick myself later on. I will enjoy picking this one up again this evening with rested eyes.

I read every night when I go to bed. I mostly read mysteries, thrillers, and scifi or fantasy. The themes are familiar and yet each offers something different. Same thing in games. I enjoy the themes, the plots, the hos, and the puzzles. Some devs do a better job than others, and it is obvious when they have put more thought into them. These devs take pride in their work, and rightly so, IMHO.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 3:19:12 AM PST

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on May 3, 12 4:13 AM
Right on, Wolfenraindancer!! I absolutely agree with you, in everything that you said! I found the graphics clear and beautiful and the storyline compelling. I am enjoying the game immensely, thanks Developers! Great job, keep up the good work! Thanks BFG for this gem of a game!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 3, 12 4:17 AM
i played the hour and was not grabbed by story,but
good graphics
voices
fills my 22'' screen
music...;so-so
puzzles i have done rather easy
3 modes of difficulty
logical things to do to have items(except that we can use saw on big chains but not on a single little iron rope!!!!ha,ha!)
i betaed this one on december 2011 and note:not as CE,and after playing the demo for second time,not as CE
i have to say that i did not like very much the first one,so....
but the qualities of this game are not concerned,it's just my taste!seems to be of good length for the fishes who loved the first one
try and see!

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 4:19:26 AM PST

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Aerosage on May 3, 12 4:18 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I disagree with the detractors, lol. I like this game, and I don't care if I have seen some of this before as I enjoy these games. This one has lots of things to do, and they aren't the 'keep the silly hogger running around for trivial items to stretch out the game play" type things. The puzzles are all tweaked to make them a bit different. It fills my whole wide screen, and I love the thunder. I haven't had rain in ages here, so love it when it is in the games. I enjoy the way the scenes change, like in the first one, and I don't find the graphics too dark. I have played for almost three hours, and according to the guide, I am not even near the halfway point. I had to make myself quit, as I know that I would kick myself later on. I will enjoy picking this one up again this evening with rested eyes.

I read every night when I go to bed. I mostly read mysteries, thrillers, and scifi or fantasy. The themes are familiar and yet each offers something different. Same thing in games. I enjoy the themes, the plots, the hos, and the puzzles. Some devs do a better job than others, and it is obvious when they have put more thought into them. These devs take pride in their work, and rightly so, IMHO.

Lack of new material equals lack of interest, equals loss of sale. I noticed through the demo here on the site that the game utilizes Venus Flytraps as obstacles. This has already been done in at least two games that I know of. When it comes to releasing a NEW game, Developers need to start from the 'drawing board' instead of building upon previously released games, utilizing a certain twist here and there to mask over the obvious similarities. For instance, I trialed Garden Rescue yesterday, but the plot is so close to Plants Vs. Zombies that it is essentially the same game, wrapped up in a different package. From here on out if it is not a game with completely new aspects, new obstacles and a different storyline, I will be just fine playing the 55+ games that I have already purchased from BigFish, unless it is a superior Sequel or Prequel.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 3, 12 4:42 AM
Good morning!
Wasn't sure what this game would be like after the reviews but actually liked it a lot, here goes:
graphics; clear, well- painted, not junkie HOG's, interestingly layered
(I always have trouble finding nails, even in "real life")
gameplay- I found it interesting, such a breautiful background with the waterfall,
shimmering water, pretty dramatic start. I find the finding keys, opeining locks enjoyable--it always reminds me of the book "the secret garden" and finding that key and opeing that awesome ivy covered door..and that imagery came from a book (hey , I'm old, everything came from a book)..so the opening of new places is always a treat to me.
Love the illumination changes,,great gameplay! Yes, I've seen it before but it works and why not? Was a little confused about needing a bow to play a sitar, but then , what the heck do I know about asian intruments, all I know is Ravi Shankar...showing my age again.
yes, there is some hand holding but I bet in the advanced there is a lot less..someone who played that syle would have to share their experience, I kinda need my paw held through these scenes..especially in the am.
No huge light shows thus far...yea!!!!
I like the sticking to one scene for so long instead of hop-de -hop right away. I can linger on the scene, get into it and disappear in Thailand. Oh hey, this game is a buy.
kris

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 3, 12 5:09 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual mode:

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen (for those who can get it)

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The Journal is at the bottom left, but there is no map.

The SG (strategy guide) is just above the Journal. In the trial version it only shows the first 2 chapters of the game.
The SG stays open where you last left it open.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) and Puzzles appear in pretty much equal amounts. Not too many, not too few.

The iHOS have nice graphics, and objects are easy to find. When you have found all objects, there will be one more to find, which will move to your inventory.

There is also a different type of HOS, in which you get an inventory full of objects that need to be put back into the scene. (Love that one).

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, and is in form of a water lily, is at the bottom right.
In Casual mode it only takes about 35 seconds for the HINT to refill.

Puzzles can be skipped. I have found 2 puzzles so far in the trial version. One of them I couldn't do, the other one I found easy.
SKIP button takes about a minute to fill in Casual mode.

Graphics and animation are very well done, and the cut scenes are superbly done.

Some of the rooms you come to have 2 sides to them. You have to switch on the light in order to change the room.
Some objects can only be obtained when the room is dark, other objects you can get hold of when the room is light.

--- --- ---

I hadn't realised that this is the second instalment of "Secrets of the Dark", the first one being "Temple of Night", until I came to the room where I had to pull up the blinds to change the room.

I loved the first game, and this game has even better graphics than the first one. This is definitely a buy for me. However, I will wait and see what other gamers say about the bonus game before deciding on whether I will buy the CE or SE.

BTW, for those peeps who are wondering: You don't need to have played the first "Secrets of the Dark" game to enjoy this one. They have nothing to do with each other, except that the gameplay in some rooms where you switch the lights on and off is the same.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 5:16:07 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 3, 12 5:38 AM
nell50 wrote:
cbtx wrote:Based on the trial:

(tex--best to you )

Ed-spelling

I agree. I took one look at the storyline and the pictures and decided not to even download it - played this storyline 100 times before, dark and gloomy pics as usual. PLEASE can developers get off the dark and gloomy gravyboat and start producing more fun storylines - hire a scriptwriter!! And brighten up the games. A definite no buy for me.
Is this a review??? Only look at the pictures and you know what kind of game this is.
This game is very good. And it's not dark of gloomy. Maybe you should try this game.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 3, 12 5:51 AM
Absolutely agree. Those guys are missing out. It's a great game with some very interesting features, beautifully done.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on May 3, 12 5:56 AM
A Definite Buy! Just waiting for a check. I am not sure why some people don't like this game. I found it to be very interesting. I guess that is why there are so many games -- something for everyone.

Try this game. Don't let the negative posts stop you.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on May 3, 12 6:25 AM
I am glad for all the positive thoughts which I did try out the game and I thought it was worth the buy, Everything about the game is awesome..I did not think it was that dark..
So give it a chance the one's that are not sure.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on May 3, 12 6:32 AM
I'm loving this game from one of my favorite developers. As others have said, there is much to do and the H0G scenes are a bit different and lots of fun.

Widescreen option works beautifully on my widescreen laptop as do games from all developers no matter what country they're from.

I definitely recommend giving this one a try

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 3, 12 6:32 AM
This game is actually very good, I played the demo on "easy" to get the most out of it, I can not complain about the puzzles is plenty of them, at least during the demo.

Love the rooms changing, puzzles are not very challenging and frustrating just enough to keep you going.

The game may look like deja vu but what game in this category doesn't, that is why they are HO games adventures.

The story is typical, you have your mystery, rescue and challenges that goes along with it.

I really like the game and is a buy for me.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 3, 12 7:05 AM
I played the demo, and I quite like this one. I have to disagree with those who have said this is the same old same old. Although the items you need to find are the usual saws and keys, the storyline is different. There is no car crash and it is not set in an asylum. Being set in Thailand makes this one a bit different. Thus far, about halfway through the demo, it is not demonic. I like that you will play a scene two ways, one in the dark, and one in the light. I also enjoy the HO scenes where you have to put the objects back. Puzzles are not difficult, and have instructions if you need them. Hints refill quickly in casual mode. There is a lot of hand holding in casual, so I will probably go to the next level. Another plus for this game is 3 levels of difficulty, which I like because sometimes I don't need all the hand holding, but advanced level can make me want to scream at times. Graphics were very good, and I enjoyed being in Thailand. Unfortunately, finances prohibit me from getting the CE, which according to Rebeccal Lily has a long bonus chapter. Alas, I must wait for the SE so I can use up the punch card credits I got from last months great sales. I like this one a lot and recommend at least trying the demo.

Go to: