bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Legends of Atlantis: Exodus

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 3, 12 2:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Legends of Atlantis: Exodus ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Legends of Atlantis: Exodus page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Legends of Atlantis: Exodus

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 3, 12 2:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 3, 12 3:29 AM
This is a very fun game, reminiscent of "Roads of rome,"
Adorable animations, lots of levels, (as you would expect in a builder) just plain fun, As you can imagine by the title, the end of the world is near, and its your job to prepare the population.
its not too clickity click, there is a casual, and timed mode,
the custom curser was a little flighty, but turning it off worked fine.
if i had anything bad to say, it would only be that the icons to collect resources could be a little bigger. or brighter..

eta
just popped in to let you all know, i played casual my 1st run thru, untimed...i just started timed, if time runs out, you do not get to continue, (no biggie, just play casual if you hate timed) and...you get to keep all your bonus powerups as long as you play the same profile

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 3:53:58 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 3, 12 3:56 AM
This review is based on the demo.

You can play in timed or relaxed mode.

You can choose custom or system cursor.

There is widescreen, but the play area is normal sized with coloured borders on either side.

As Bella said, this game is very much like the "Roads of Rome" and "Island Tribe" games.

You have an Advisor, who drives around on a scooter, and helps you with hints and tips, but there is no voice-over.

You have to build roads and bridges so the villagers can flee from their homes.

You also have to build the usual sawmills, wells, quarries, etc, to get materials.
Whenever material appears at one of the sites, the worker there waves at you to get your attention, so you don't forget that you have to pick up the wood, stone, water, etc, when it's ready to be picked up.

In addition, there are extras, like that slot machine which, when you spin the wheel, will give you extra material.

Every so often, there is a HOS (hidden object scene) or a M3 (match 3) game to play. The M3 game comes up when your Advisor's scooter runs out of fuel. Some of the balls in the M3 game have a lightning flash on the surface. Those are the ones you need for fuel.

Graphics and animation are very well done.

--- --- ---

The buildings in this game are different from the ones I have seen before, and gameplay is fun.

I also like it that I can play in untimed mode rather than being able to continue after the timer has finished. The constant tick tock, tick tock, and at the end the sound of an alarm clock, which I get in other games when the timer is near the end, drives me bananas. That's why I am really pleased that I am not confronted by those sounds on every level.

To get to the point, I am going to buy this game.

Aurora_3
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Aurora_3 on May 3, 12 7:03 AM
This appears to be an interesting game, though I am only part way through the demo. So far I have gotten expert on all levels, but don't expect that to continue.

To me though, this is not a true build game (though what you do is build things as in a straight build game). I find it to be a Strategy game that is played out through building. You must analyze the levels and determine what must be done in what order. You also have to recognize when you have made a strategic mistake and be prepared to start over.

If that is the kind of game you like, then this appears to be an very enjoyable one.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on May 3, 12 7:48 AM
Played 30 minutes of the demo on casual mode.

What a cute little game. Strategy/builder type game. Love the little characters in it, which keeps it interesting. I appreciate that there is a casual mode.

One thing this has that the others of this type don't usually have is the ability to click on several different tasks and your workers will get to them in that order , providing they have enough supplies. You don't have to wait until they go back to the shack before selecting the next task.

Cursor is moving a bit slow so I probably would have to select desktop cursor to play timed.

Does not look like a very long game but as you can play through in casual and then play through timed it would make it longer.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 3, 12 8:35 AM
This is a building type game, very similar to Roads Of Rome in that you create pathways to reach the goals for each level. The difference here is that you also have to free the citizens that are trapped behind piles of rock or wood, blocked by robbers or clockwork men etc.

The resources are either on the road, such as trees, stone and crystals which you collect or you build the appropriate buildings, which have workers already in place to produce the goods needed. You may also have to build a watchtower or a workshop to get a soldier to defeat the robbers or a mechanic to repair the clockwork men (these will help you for a short time before falling apart!).

The goals are explained at the start of each level by your advisor, who occasionally will need crystals to power the scooter he rides about on! Cue a 'match 3 coloured balls by dropping them onto each other' mini-game. There is hidden artifact search on each of the 5 areas of the island, which when completed gives a power up of your choice; extra resources of a particular type or faster working etc for 60 seconds. There are 10 levels on each area apart from the Crystal Caves, which is only about 5 or 6 levels for some reason.

Two modes of play; challenge and relaxed. However even in relaxed mode you can fail a level.

ETA: Apparently this is in fact a bug in the original release from the devs and has now been fixed. Thanks Doobiebear for the info

Custom cursor can be turned off, which I did as it's too fancy for my taste!

If you enjoyed ROR you will most likely enjoy this too. The only thing I don't like (apart from failing a level on relaxed mode) is the piles of wood or stone or whatever that keep flashing (exactly the same as they do in ROR). They even do it when you can't reach them; how annoying is that! Otherwise this was an enjoyable game (bought from the devs a few weeks ago) which will keep fans of this genre occupied for a few hours

Edited on 05/04/2012 at 12:41:38 AM PST

DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

[Post New]by DoobieBear on May 3, 12 9:04 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
Two modes of play; challenge and relaxed. However even in relaxed mode you can fail a level. This was a mistake by the devs in my opinion; the point of relaxed is being able to play at your own pace, not worrying about whether or not you will finish in time! There is no obvious reason I can see for failing a level but it does happen, although not that often. Custom cursor can be turned off, which I did as it's too fancy for my taste!

(bought from the devs a few weeks ago) which will keep fans of this genre occupied for a few hours

This was a glitch that has now been fixed. I received an email from the devs May 1st since I posted on their forums about it. So it may be fixed as well in this offer here.

It is a really great game that I can't say enough good things about. It's definitely a strategy game. If you need to replay a level the power-ups change also - so it can be easier or harder the next go-round.

It has achievements (only available on the timed mode), and 3 different extra levels. One for finishing the game, another for all achievements accomplished and of course, one for all gold on the levels.

I highly recommend this game because of all the various levels that never get boring and for the replay value with the achievements and changes in the power ups. I hope everyone has as much fun playing this jewel of a game as I did!!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on May 3, 12 9:34 AM
If your looking for fun and gorgeous graphics this is the one for you. This game has it all and then some. It's a wonderful building game where you gather your resources, repair roads, save villagers, remove debris and gather crystals and water which actually give you energy. This is similar to MKFTP, ROR, and Island Tribe. It has several lengthy levels and of course there is the timer but if you don't get the gold the first time around you can always go back and replay the level. This one also throws in some match 3 and hidden objects so basically this game has it all even the music is good. I can't say enough great things about this game the developers did an awesome job with this one and they left no stone unturned. It was an instant buy for me and I've been waiting for this one to arrive and here it is. This is one solid building game that throws in some great challenges great story and adorable characters and definitely has replay value to it so what are you waiting for grab your hammer and nails and give this little gem a try I don't think you'll be sorry. Thank you developer's and Big Fish for this awesome and fun game please keep them coming.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 3, 12 9:47 AM
In this latest strategy/building game, which is similar in style to Roads of Rome etc, you have a choice of playing in Challenge or Relaxed Mode , thanks for the latter Devs .

The story is about the citizens of Atlantis who are trapped on little 'islands' of land because the sea is gradually swallowing up the city and earthquakes are causing trees and rocks to block the roads and it is your job to clear these and build bridges so that everyone can escape to safety. Needless to say that in times of trouble such as these there are always people around to take advantage of the situation and in this case you have robbers blocking your way.

Atlanteans are different and instead of eating food they use a fair amount of energy crystals which have to be collected from mines and other places (bet they don't taste half as good as a nice fresh juicy berry ). You also have to collect water from wells, stone from rocks and planks from sawmills but you can also supplement the latter by chopping down trees yourself (I always have to choose the dead ones first ) .

The graphics are good though the resource icons are a tad on the small size but what I really really like about the game is that if you see say, 6 resources and/or tasks at one time you can click them all immediately and the worker will just carry on from one task to the next in that order , thanks Devs .

There are some minigames among the 47 levels and the latter are split up into 5 areas:

Emerald Coast ... 10
Golden Sands .... 12
Iron Mountains ... 10
Crystal Caves ...... 5
The Capital ........ 10

So there is a nice variety of background settings but I think this 'delightful cake' of a game could have been made into a ' gorgeous gateau' by the addition of the Advisor having a voice but I shall devour every level with gusto regardless.

Cherb

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 3, 12 12:27 PM
This is a good strategygame in my opinion. Very funny and challenging too. For me its a buy

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 3, 12 3:38 PM
I didn't buy any of the Road to Rome games but I really enjoyed this game - I like the graphics.
I get to play it in relaxed mode before trying out the challenge mode so, that's great.
I believe I will buy this one!
Its more resource strategy than time strategy - I am having FUN!

PS I like the characters, too. Like the wise old guy on what looks like a scooter but it is not electric...you have to gather "special" crystals to keep it going - in a sort of M3 game.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 3:44:01 PM PST

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on May 3, 12 7:29 PM
I almost didn't demo this because it was listed as a TM, but fortunately read the excellent reviews. After I tried it, I had to have it! Whether it's officially a builder or strategy game, as long as I can play it without a timer, it's for me. I love the scooter, and the old guy's excuses for not helping out. It's similar to ROR, etc, but certainly not a clone.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on May 3, 12 8:48 PM
sandhan wrote:I almost didn't demo this because it was listed as a TM, but fortunately read the excellent reviews. After I tried it, I had to have it! Whether it's officially a builder or strategy game, as long as I can play it without a timer, it's for me. I love the scooter, and the old guy's excuses for not helping out. It's similar to ROR, etc, but certainly not a clone.

all builders are listed as tm,s...(they really need thier own catagory imo)

but if you want to find MANY builders try this thread

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/165507.page#3222863

emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Performance?

[Post New]by emerance on May 4, 12 4:39 PM
I love these types of games and I like the story, too. Unfortunately, the performance of the game on my laptop is terrible. I've never had this trouble before with BFG, so I was surprised. I had to turn off the custom cursor, no problem. But it takes forever for the screen to refresh and clicking on objects is tedious because it takes about 5 seconds for the screen to show that I've clicked on them. Cannot take the slow refresh speed, so this won't be a buy. Shame.

Mannolo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Performance?

[Post New]by Mannolo on May 4, 12 10:59 PM
emerance wrote:I love these types of games and I like the story, too. Unfortunately, the performance of the game on my laptop is terrible. I've never had this trouble before with BFG, so I was surprised. I had to turn off the custom cursor, no problem. But it takes forever for the screen to refresh and clicking on objects is tedious because it takes about 5 seconds for the screen to show that I've clicked on them. Cannot take the slow refresh speed, so this won't be a buy. Shame.

Have you tried turning off high resolution mode and/or fullscreen? It runs well on my 5 year old laptop. I think it does not require better system than other casual games here, only in the HD mode.

[Post New]by bickerlynne on May 5, 12 3:44 AM
I like that there is a casual mode. Some of these can be so frantic. It is refreshing to see one that you can relax and enjoy. Love time management. Just don't like to rush.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on May 5, 12 12:12 PM
I've just posted in the tech problems thread that the game crashed, but while I'm here I wanted to post in here as well.

I was disappointed when the trial ended, which for me means 'buy the game' - so I bought the game.

What I really enjoy about it (besides the great gameplay) is the relaxed mode of play. Most of these type of games do let you continue when the timer runs out, but you lose out on the 'gold, silver, bronze' medals and that's frustrating - plus it sends you into a panic when the timer starts giving an alarm. This one doesn't have any of that, no timer, nothing - it's wonderful!!

I've been playing it all day, and it just crashed. Hopefully I just need a re-boot - then I'm going back in.

Edited to add: I went back into the game and it took up from the start of the level it crashed in, which I pleased about. Now I've finished the game, and it was definitely money very well spent.

Edited on 05/05/2012 at 3:38:24 PM PST

katlady3
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by katlady3 on May 5, 12 6:27 PM
I really enjoy this type of games....& I was waiting for this game to come to BF! I had played the trail at another site! My 1 complaint is that you have to get expert level to play 1 of the bonus levels. Once I buy a game....I want to be able to play ALL of the levels! Is there any other way to unlock all of the bonus levels?

[Post New]by Rett_from_bc on May 12, 12 9:23 PM
Was happy to see a new game in the same genre as Roads of Rome; My Kingdom for a Princess, Rescue series, etc. Not a bad little game, no regrets on purchase. thanks.

Go to: