TGT: Tibet Quest

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

TGT: Tibet Quest

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 6:43 AM
Tibet Quest is a Match 3 game of the type where there is a fixed path that you need to clear so your character can walk to a goal. Finding Doggy and Da Vinci Code used this game mechanic. Along the way you pick up inventory items that will be needed. Some places require you to have made enough matches of particular tile types to proceed. It's a timed game, but so far at least the timer is generous enough, particularly if you remember that you have several hammers collected that can be used when you just can't figure out how to make a match in the new section you just reached across a bridge.

There's a storyline, and the sounds aren't too bad. No idea how long it is, but most Match 3 games don't get complaints about being too short. I'm going to buy it. (and hope that nobody starts chasing me on some levels, the way Da Vinci Code did....)

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

Re:TGT: Tibet Quest

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 9:59 AM
It's definitely not going to be too short. Nice variety in the inventory items, and there's two different kinds of powerups (hammer for single tile, something else for a whole (row? or is it column? i haven't had to use it yet)). I'm still not feeling rushed either, particularly with this huge stockpile of powerups that I've been racking up.

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Jan 31, 09 10:06 AM
LK... I have a question.... Does it move as fast side to side as the Da Vinci Code?

Thanks

Edited on 01/31/2009 at 10:07:06 AM PST

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Jan 31, 09 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info, LordKalvan. No more timed games for me. I don't care how easy they are for other people. I've learned my lesson on that the hard way.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 10:28 AM
The animation seems to be slower than Da Vinci Code was. The boards are much smaller too; you get to the destination on the sub board, then if you have collected enough of whatever inventory item you need, you get a (raft, bridge, drill, water to put out fire, whatever it is you need) that allows you to get to the next sub board. I'm spending roughly 5 minutes on each level now, with each level having a handful of these sub boards (one recently had 9 of them I remember).

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Jan 31, 09 10:32 AM
Thank you for that info. I have downloaded it but I remember that the Da Vinci Code (which I do own and like) would give me a headache with the movement. I shall give this a try.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 11:01 AM
The tiles are larger than Da Vinci Code too, and (so far at least) there aren't any of the dark boards where you need a flashlight. About level 4 I started to need the powerups that look like oranges; they clear a full row (not column).

The graphics and sounds aren't fancy, and I could see this as a NDS or N64 game, but I'm having fun. Far far easier on the nerves than Da Vinci Code, and a bit more of a challenge than Finding Doggy. Definitely more of a challenge than Lost in Reefs, which is taking me forever. And it's nice to have a new game that isn't HO.

Tip: to break the ice you have to make a VERTICAL match right above it. Horizontal matches above, or anything on one side or the other or below won't do it. Or just use a hammer or "orange".

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Jan 31, 09 11:33 AM
I've never played the other 2 games you mentioned but I do like this game. I never noticed a timer. There is one?

Dahmom
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
430 Posts

[Post New]by Dahmom on Jan 31, 09 12:04 PM
I was going to hold of on this game i got burned out of match 3's, but i am glad i didnt i really like this one it is different.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 12:12 PM
Yes, there's a timer. It's on the right side. I ran out of time once, on level something like 4-2??? That's when I started using the orange powerups when there were multiple pieces of ice to get through, in a horizontal row. And using the hammer more often on the narrow vertical places. I compare the % left in the upper left corner to the amount of time left in that right column timer thing, to see whether I need to use a hammer powerup or can try to do without instead.

edit: If you like the "clear a path" game mechanic, try these games too.
Finding Doggy : has both timed and untimed modes. targeted at kids but I like it too. untimed is very relaxing

Da Vinci Code: only timed mode, and I barely managed to get through some of the levels where the enemy was chasing me. Some of the boards are dark and you have to use a "flash light" to see more than just a very few tiles. Not relaxing.

4 Elements: only timed mode, and some of the levels take a few tries before I get through. You get to choose your own path to the destination. 64 match 3 levels, 4 Hidden Object & inventory item levels, and 16 spot the differences levels.

Edited on 01/31/2009 at 12:18:01 PM PST

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Jan 31, 09 12:59 PM
Oh, I love 4 Elements. Never did get through the last level though.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 31, 09 5:19 PM
I didn't demo this one because generally Match 3s are not for me because of the timed element and frankly I thought that character elf gnome whatever it is in the screen shots was just plain creeeepy! I LOVED Finding Doggy, though and very much enjoy the path game mechanic. Da Vinci code killed me off long before the demo was done. 4 Elements I loved and literally became unplayable for me and my disabled hands 1 or 2 boards after I bought it.

I'll wait for final eval from anyone who plays to the end, but I *am* trying to boycott Timed only games.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 6:11 PM
I did manage to survive until the end of Da Vinci Code, but just barely (losing my life several times, but not running out of lives completely). I'm on level 6-something of Tibet Quest now, and although I'm finishing the levels before the time runs out, it's not relaxing any more. I'd feel a LOT happier with a "no timer" option on this one.

So anybody who had problems during the first hour of Da Vinci Code, you probably want to skip this one.

Dahmom
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
430 Posts

[Post New]by Dahmom on Jan 31, 09 6:21 PM
Oh there is no pause button so i hit menu thinking it paused it which it looked like it did but one time i did it and ran to get dinner on and it ran out of time just a warning there.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 31, 09 6:35 PM
Correction: that orange powerup clears in a + shape, not just horizontally. So you can get more use out of it if you position it where not only the horizontal row gets cleared, but where you think that the path will continue either up or down.

Up to level 7-3 and having to use a lot of powerups and work fast. I don't like having to work this fast. I do have about 9 lives earned, but it really bothers me to lose a life. I don't like that terminology. It's my game - I should be able to replay the level as many times as I need to.

Edited on 01/31/2009 at 6:36:08 PM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 1, 09 5:38 PM
I did finally finish. Last level is 7-11. Took me about six hours of game play total. Why oh why is there no "no timer" option? Yes the scores are based in part on remaining time, however there is NO scoreboard where you can look up scores and compare.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Feb 2, 09 12:54 PM
I'm totally with you, Lord K! Why on earth would anyone make a game without an option to shut off the timer? The people who like the timer can always use it, but the people who hate it will not buy the game without the option. So, duh, what is it the developers don't get?????

I just got back from a small vacation without computers, and this was the only game offered while I was gone that I liked, so I used my credit to get it. I'm beginning to run out of time, but I have saved lots of hammers and lightnings to do what Lord K does, which is to use the powerups to finish a level if the timer starts ticking.

It is a fun game, the timer notwithstanding. Like 4 Elements and Finding Doggie, it is a "path-making" game, which adds some interest to the basic match 3 theme. Also, having to build the item you need to get out of each sub-level is kind of fun, and the fact that these items self-execute (they activate once "loaded" -- you don't have to click on anything) is nice. (Just remember: they won't execute unless you are at the exact point where they are needed!)

I have not yet finished the game, so it seems to be quite long.

If, like me, you really know a lot about Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism, don't expect the theme to be too authentic. I shudder a bit each time the girl walks on top of a Buddha face tile. Still, it's not that bad even in this respect.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Feb 3, 09 4:49 AM
I just want to thank everyone in this thread as you've introduced me to some brilliant match 3 games.

[Post New]by peglee2 on Mar 22, 09 1:07 AM
Love this game but I can't seem to finish it. I AGREE with the ones that said it definately needs a relaxed mode. Get with it Bigfish! There is a game that very much like this one that gives you more options...I finished it! Eldorado Quest. Great game...You may want to try it.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Mar 22, 09 1:29 AM
Poodlebear wrote:I'll wait for final eval from anyone who plays to the end, but I *am* trying to boycott Timed only games.

Ditto. I play games to relax, not to get stressed out. I generally stay away from match 3 games TM's because I don't enjoy them as much as I do the strategy games. HOG's. But I do like to play them once in awhile for a change of pace if it looks like a good one. Guess I'll be avoiding this one, and it looked interesting.

Go to: