bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 10, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fabled Legends: The Dark Piper Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 10, 12 12:39 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on May 10, 12 1:02 AM
I'll gladly start. This is an offering from Blue Tea Games and they have really stepped it up in terms of gameplay among other things. The game is a different theme than we have usually seen. Its a dark pied piper theme and if you dislike rats, id advise you that maybe this isn't a game you will want to play because there are a lot of them and they move. The game is long and you get the whole game in the strategy guide in the demo. The bonus game is about King Midas which looks promising. The last game Blue Tea Games put out I wasn't too thrilled about because they were starting to all be the same BUT you can tell the developers put their hearts into this because they have upgraded their style. Instead of fragments of items, they have actual hidden object style scenes and they are not easy! There are multiple items in the scene that are interactive but only a few are the ones needed to do the tasks so you need to think about what one will help you. There are 3 modes of play from really casual to really hard. They also upgraded their mini games but they are still unique and special to blue tea's style of mini games. I am really impressed that this developer put so much time and effort into this game to make it have a brand new feeling but also an old friend feeling of a great developer. I definitely recommend at least demoing this game because it has beautiful graphics, new gameplay and an awesome storyline that hasn't been overplayed. Cheers to blue tea games!!

Oh & thank you developers for releasing your games on mac the same day as PC. It makes my day when I don't have to wait 7 months for the mac version. Kudos! xx

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 1:07:25 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 10, 12 1:18 AM
This game is by Blue Tea Games, and the review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Normal, Hard.

There are 6 chapters plus the bonus chapter.

There is widescreen (stretch screen).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. The system cursor is a small version of the custom cursor.

There is voice-over.

The "Options" button has been conveniently added to the right of the game screen.

The MAP in the shape of a COMPASS is also at the right, just above the "Options" button.

The iHOS have clear and clean graphics, and objects are easy enough to find. (This game does not have the fragmented hidden object scenes, as we are accustomed to from previous Blue Tea Games).

The HINT button, which also works outside of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), is at the left, indicated by a cat.

The HINT button takes just under 30 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about a minute to fill in Casual mode.

The SG (strategy guide), which stays open where you last left it open, is also at the left, just to the right of the HINT button.

There are 20 MORPHING objects you can find. With each morphing object you find, the HINT metre refills faster.

The graphics are well done, and gameplay ís what we have come to expect of this type of game.

A word of warning: When you want to combine objects, you have to put the cursor onto the object you want to combine things with, and not the object that is attached to your cursor.

--- --- ---

All in all a very nice game, although I wasn't as excited about this one as I have been with previous Blue Tea games. I must be spoilt.

I wasn't able to see how long the bonus game is - it was locked in the trial version - so I can't comment on that. However, I will most likely give the CE a miss and wait for the SE.

Edited to delete the part about "Hameln".

ETA: I bought the CE after all, because of the bonus game.

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 10:20:58 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on May 10, 12 1:26 AM
This game is lovely. It has all the bells and whistles, full guide, three modes of play, a peek at the bonus game, absolutely gorgeous graphics, smooth game play, neat puzzles and interactive hidden objects that are not lost in the background and a map to keep you on track. In real life I run and scream from rats, since this is only a game no problem because Not only do I get to enjoy the game play I also get my personal revenge on all the rats both real and metaphorical that have caused me many a bad moment. Fun to all.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 10, 12 1:32 AM
AS I am not a huge fan of FROGS, I was relieved to see HOS in this one. I didn't see any mention of morphing objects in the guide, and after I stumbled upon one by accident, I went to the guide (for the first time) to see if I had missed any. And I am not quite sure yet what the raven does. I clicked on it, and it flew up but nothing else happened. I am liking the game, but I hate it when I feel like there is something I missed, and I am always afraid I will move forward and then can't go back to get what I missed. Oh, well, I will carry on. I did play just a few minutes before stopping to buy, and only stopped to come in here to see what was said about the MOs.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 10, 12 1:36 AM
not only!in france also the town is known as"hamelin"!and antwerpen is anvers for us!some names of town are often translated!
tecnically it is a well done game with good story and beautiful graphics,and for the price....well everyone is free to choose if CE or not!
give it a try!
3 game modes of difficulty,full screen and wide screen
map which show zones of interest
diairy very easy
hint quick enough(in medium level i played)
music not boring ;as i don't have any phobia,spiders,rats,snakes and all that sorts of animals don't matter me
for me it is a buy!
spiritdog,the objects you can pick are for the replayability of the game;in other game,others interactivity!but i agree it is sometimes annoying:maybe a little miss in programming?

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 1:40:57 AM PST

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on May 10, 12 1:41 AM
Having finished the demo, I can say I really enjoyed it. The graphics are stunning, the music is beautiful, the mini-games are imaginative (with excellent instructions/explanations), and the HOS are not cluttered. The developers put a lot of work into this and it is not complicated for the player, but it is complex in its design. Wow! There is a map (not interactive) which is extremely helpful. It shows where you are, where the current objectives are; as well as "areas of interest". There is a journal that also keeps track of your objectives, if you want to see them. The hint system will tell you if nothing can be done in an area at present. You acquire a "helper" to assist you in certain situations; and I believe other similar aids may come further along in the game. I did not need to use the SG, but it does show a total of six regular chapters and a bonus chapter. The story is well-told with minimal dialogue. Kudos to Blue Tea for lovely voice-overs and correct English. (Many other developers could take lessons.) My one concern is that the demo covers two chapters, and although I skipped no cut scenes, dialogue or mini-games, I finished in 57 minutes. (I did play on the easiest level.) If the pace continues to follow that pattern, it would mean approximately three hours play for the main game; plus whatever time the bonus chapter would take. I still would give it four stars because it is exceptionally well designed and simply fascinating and fun.

P. S. If you are skittish about rats and/or should not be exposed to sudden shocks, this might not be your best choice for a game.

Edited on 05/11/2012 at 9:13:41 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 10, 12 1:44 AM
Based on the demo:

Our friends at Hong Kong's Blue Tea Games have crafted a beautiful, quality game with this excellent title. Blue Tea is my favorite developer, as each game seems to improve with new wrinkles and additions that step up their game quality each time out. (So unlike some others developers I could mention, but won't), Blue Tea keeps away from the same old, recycled, cookie-cutter style and instead always offers a fresh take on these games with something innovative with every new title. Never does it feel like its all been done before with these devs.

Opens in Widescreen (as all CEs should) and the first thing that struck me was the well done, grab you right away cut scene that leads to an interesting story concerning some sort of revenge planned by a pied piper (the original?) for some sort of perceived injustice inflicted on him by the people of Hamelin.

Then the next thing was the the graphics and artwork, which I think are excellent. I found myself staring at scene after scene just taking it all in.

The HOS are very well done with clever interactions that aren't overly challenging, but aren't particularly easy.

The puzzles are very clever and the care the devs put into their creation is obvious.

The usual mix of CE bonuses is included, with a bonus game concerning King Midas that looks like it will be fun. I think it adds to the story----something about an underground city.

There are well done voiceovers, a map (forgot to try to jump), a journal with 4 sections for added game play value, and a cute kitty for the dispensing of hints. The strategy guide stays where you leave it.

This is the best game I've seen in a long time and one of the rare CEs I'm happy to pay full price for. Kudos to Blue Tea--number 1 IMO, and clearly showing the way for others to take careful note of.

findlaybears
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by findlaybears on May 10, 12 1:45 AM
There are morphing objects in this game and only 20 in total. I only managed to find one within the trial time so finding them all may be a good challenge!

I'm not sure if this game is a buy for me, so I'll wait to see how long the actual play time will be from reviews from other fishies.

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 1:47:51 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 10, 12 1:47 AM
My review is based on demo. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and very clear. I agree wtih others that we have seen this storyline before. As I was playing through the game...I couldn't get past the fact that everything looked and seemed so familar to me...and I just thought...well all these games are starting to look the same to me. And then I realized I had beta tested this game and that's why it was so familar. LOL The hog scene's are crisp and clear and not cluttered. The animations are terrific. This one has all the bells and whistles one looks for in a game and I like it. I do think it's a winner and I will buy it. It's a must try for sure. Enjoy!

YES: Widescreen
YES: Voiceover's
YES: Map
YES: Journal
YES: Hog Scenes
Hint System: Recharges quickly
Modes: Causal/Advanced/Expert
Sound: Music/Ambience/Sound
Bonus: Locked
Theme: Fabled Mystery

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 10, 12 1:49 AM
I like the game - the plot scheme is done wonderful, in order to keep your curiosity (that killed the cat)...

Well, mice and rats are not my cup of tea, but at least they are not scary. The Dark Piper character is not all evil, and is drawn nice.

Length according the SG:

Main game - 41 pages.
Bonus game (The Midas Liar) - begins on page 42, but I can't peek at it's length, until I finish the main game. As I am slow player, don't have any info here.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on May 10, 12 2:41 AM
I absolutely LOVED this demo and was completely wrapped up in it from the start.

It was a little disappointing to see Blue Tea depart from their usual FROG format - theirs are the ONLY FROGS I ever enjoy - but I am a true HOGGER so found those scenes even more enjoyable. The music, as ever, is enchanting, as are the graphics.

The raven DOES have a use in some scenes, and I think you are guided for at least the first time. WARNING: I found a spider issue/ puzzle as well as spiders in one of the HOs.

Took me 51 minutes to complete the demo and was just at the start of Ch 3 out of 6 (+ bonus). I assume the Fabled Objects in the SG are the famous morphs? I thought there weren't any as I didn't find any - but seems that's just my ineptitude at play if others HAVE found them (never my strongest point)!!!

All in all, I think this is an AMAZING game and I am off to buy asap and spend the afternoon happily playing on my day off I almost bought the Dark Dimensions CE last night but then remembered this was coming today and am so glad I waited

(I played in the hardest mode. Not recommended if you get frustrated and need a hint just to find that last elusive HO, or to skip a hard puzzle - I ended up using the SG on one of the puzzles as couldn't spare the time to faff with it and luckily I could reset it and start from scratch with the SG. )

Only criticism - in the HO scenes, some interactive objects are interactive (pick-uppable) when not needed.I suppose they are there for future HO scenes when we return yo the same area, but I wish the devs had been able to make only the interactive objects NEEDED for EACH scene pickuppable (is that even a word?!) as it is a little confusing.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 10, 12 3:17 AM
To the Devs

After really looking forward to Blue Tea's next game I was actually very disappointed when I started playing it because instead of being able to say how beautifully detailed the fractured objects were I found that there weren't any at all and instead there were just the same type of hidden object scenes that all the other developers do. I am sorry Blue Tea but you have eliminated your uniqueness and become 'one of the crowd'.

Yes your graphics are still excellent , your music pleasant and your storyline interesting and your puzzles good but there is nothing here that other good developers don't do and IMO this one could have been made by any one of them and I wouldn't have known it was one of your games without the title page .

Apart from the above I also liked the map showing where we are and areas of interest and the addition of looking for the 20 Fabled Objects but, and it is a big BUT, I do not like being told that the 'Extras' will remain locked until the bonus chapter has been played. If there are wallpapers and/or screensavers in your Extras I feel these should be unlocked as soon as we purchase the game because they are completely useless once the game has been played and we have moved onto a different game.

Fractured object games are few and far between and make a wonderfully refreshing intermission in between all the 'same old' normal hidden object games but alas we are not going to get one of those this time.

Please, please, please go back to making FROGs ... variety is the spice of life, same old eventually becomes boring no matter how beautifully made .

Thank you for listening .

Cherb

Badut
Herring
Herring
345 Posts

[Post New]by Badut on May 10, 12 3:43 AM

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 11:11:30 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on May 10, 12 4:09 AM
(Bought "on the spot" and played about 45 minutes so far)

Well--a Blue Tea game? Step right up and hit the "Buy It" button, as far as I'm concerned!

The intro and opening screen (the town below, and the Piper standing on a rooftop, his cape billowing in the wind) mesmerized me. The Options Menu has the necessary stuff--three sound sliders, cursor choice, screen choice (I've read that wide screen works--Yay, for those gamers that need that!), three gameplay modes.

Where do I continue? OK, the musical track--I love heavy brass tones--this game has those. Trombones, Trumpets, French Horns--all contribute to the "dark" theme of the game, without being either repetitive or overwhelming. Keep the speakers on.

Voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard. The Piper, in particular, sounds a bit like a fiendish Sean Connery. The subtitled dialogue fits perfectly with the spoken word. And the Duke (is that who he is? The Duke?) of Hamelin sounds very, well, "Dukely."

The animations are works of art, but a word of warning--if you're spooked by rats, this game might not be for you. There are hundreds of them scurrying about in various scenes. Although cartoon-like yet "water-color perfect," characters' movements are smooth and lifelike.

Graphics are excellent, from rooftop tiles to H0 scenes. Those H0 scenes are interactive, but sometimes confusing--some items are useful, some aren't. There's a colorful map; the "little Kitty" hint system re-ups quickly. The SG keeps track of where you are, but I found one "Oh-oh"--in the first Mini-game (the "Wooden Horse" puzzle), the SG didn't respond. I don't think that's a glitch--I just think that the developers want us to figure things out on our own!

This looks to be a great game--"Fine Swine," according to MissLisa!

Regards, elldee

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 7:19:01 AM PST

IBGLENDA
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by IBGLENDA on May 10, 12 5:09 AM

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 11:11:51 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 10, 12 5:22 AM
I have always loved this developer but for some reason was unable to get into this game! It felt very disconnected to me. There was no flow to it. I couldn't really see where anything tied together.

Because there are so many very well done reviews I will keep this short

I was impressed that I actually had a wide screen that worked and 3 modes of play. The SG was easy enough to use but I found the map almost useless

Found a few grammar problems in the demo. Treasure Chess?

Also would like to know why I was able to pick up things in the HOS that are not usable at that time?

I didn't realise there were morphing objects until well into the demo.

Despite the fact that this has many good points I think I will wait for the SE in this one. Just didn't make me want to keep playing.

This could just be me so I suggest everyone at least give the demo a run

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on May 10, 12 5:54 AM

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 11:16:03 AM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 10, 12 6:50 AM
Beautiful and well done game, clear HOscenes, I played in the easy mode to get the most of the demo, love the interactive scenes and overall is my type of game.

Great graphics nice smooth to navigate around from place to place.

The music and background sounds were just right for me.

I usually buy most CEs that comes out and this one a buy for me.

Love the littler cat sitting on the hint button and love when he gives his back while it reloads, adorable.

Go to: