JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

Tips and Tricks and other game help from the Developer

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 10, 12 12:28 PM
Hi All:

This is Joe of Puzzles By Joe (not to be confused with Leon).

I'm here to help out whenever I can. If you have game specific questions, just ask them and I'll do my best to answer them. Because I wrote the game, sometimes I leave something out that should be explained better. I'll give you two quick examples and then just leave this thread here for any questions you might have.

The Plates: I didn't really explain the rules to the plates as well as I should have. You need to always match 3 plates...and you need to make one match before the counter even starts. The 3 plates must all be from either ends of a row and they must match. There is a "Matches" box in the upper right that tells you how many different matches are left (not how many plates it takes to make a match). I tried to be nice and not start the timer until the first 3-plate-match was made...but I think that's confusing for some people. Hope that helps.

The Fifteen Puzzle: Although similar to the Clock puzzle in my original Clutter, the Fifteen Puzzle is a challenge for a lot of people. The thing to try with the Fifteen Puzzle...is to just "play with it"...trying to understand the rules of level that you're on. The rules change each time...but only after you solve it. The rules are definitely consistent although it's not always true that every piece acts the same way. Often, all pieces act the same, and there's only one rule...but sometimes certain pieces act one way, and certain pieces (or spots) act another. If you can play with it enough to figure out the current Rules...then the puzzle becomes: "How can I use those rules to get the numbers in order". There is one rule that is always true. When the pieces are in their correct spots...and are correctly rotated, they will always be green.

So that's it for now. I want to thank everyone that's enjoying the game, and I read all the reviews and comments, so that I can make even a better game, next time.

So ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer and/or help out when needed.

Joe

Re:Tips and Tricks and other game help from the Developer

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on May 10, 12 2:30 PM
Hello Joe! I just love this game. The Plates puzzle was easy to figure out, as it's similar to a Mahjong puzzle board. The other one you mention, the numbers, I cannot figure out at all. It seems like some kind of Sudoku puzzle, and I'm not good with those at all. But, I'll give it another go when it shows up again. I'm halfway through the game. I enjoy the memory "match 2" game a lot.

Thanks for stopping by the forum, and hope you are working on "Clutter 3"!

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on May 10, 12 7:35 PM
Hi, Joe! Thanks for stopping in. I'm so happy to see this game. I'm ESPECIALLY happy to see that I can play WITHOUT the timer - the one thing that really bugged me about the first game (although I loved it, too).

If I have any questions about anything you can be sure I'll check in here to ask you. In the meantime -- I'm off to declutter!

[Post New]by gentlegranny on May 10, 12 11:08 PM
Hi, I love this game, HOWEVER, I do not understand the Shuffle Challenge! I have arranged the puzzle but what do I do next? I know I have to find a bit of the picture as I did that accidentally on my first one. But how and why? What do I do with it? It doesn't make any sense to me at all. Please HELP!
Grins.
Gentle Granny

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 11, 12 8:48 AM
Hi Gentle Granny:

Move the cursor around slowly and watch the number. (move left-to-right...for a little while, then up and down for a bit...) You should see a pattern.

Now look at your numbers at the top...that's the spot you need to find. (and sometimes the words at the bottom (when you've solved the picture)...give you an additional clue to make it easier for you.

Happy Hunting.
Joe

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

The Match-3 Plates problem...

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 11, 12 8:59 AM
Hello All:

A couple people have reported a lock-up in the Plates mini-game.

My apologies, it is a real bug, but there is a get-around.

It's caused by the Pop-up Help being turned off (and it seems this is the only mini-game affected this way). The fix is to just turn on the Pop-up Help (which you can do from the Menu/Options). Then, instead of skipping the game, you can go back to the main menu screen, re-enter the Plates puzzle...and it should work correctly.

My only excuse (and it's not a good one)...is that I put so many options in (like turn-off Treadmill, turn-off Timer, etc...) that I didn't test every possible combination.

Joe

duckyquack
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by duckyquack on May 11, 12 11:20 AM
In rotating the numbers around in the picture I can never find the exact match to the numbers displayed at the top, Only by sheer accident do I get this right. It will not let me skip or go to menu. I don't like this part of the game. This is my second time through and it is not any better. I like the game a lot except for this part. I have not figured out how to play beyond the first set of the number game either. At least it will let you skip. I didn't play the first clutter maybe I should have. I'm not very good in the memory game because it just goes too fast. The clutter part of the game I really like. It is fun and something different.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 11, 12 11:37 AM
Hi Duckyquack:

Although it's a bug...it should let you Skip the match to the numbers. (and it's not an exact match...but you have to get close). The "Skip" button itself has a bug...and you have to push it twice to go beyond this. After you press Skip the first time, if you wait 9 seconds....it should let you skip it again...and then let you go on.

And if you try moving the Cursor a little slower...I think you can get the hang of it. (if you move it only horizontal or Vertical....and do one number at a time...I think you can do it).

Since you've played through the game once...you could also turn off the Story and the Mini-games if you wanted to (from Menu/Options)...and just play the Clutter parts over (and you can still play the mini-games from the main menu if you want).

Hope that helps....Joe

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on May 12, 12 5:11 PM
Decided to uninstall and reinstall the game. Since the settings remained I actually used Windows recovery to get it off my system and then reinstalled it. For some reason it remains on the last indecipherable minigame, the pixel one. Nothing happens. No instructions whatsoever. When I try to figure out what needs to be done by clicking to match pixels to picture nothing happens. No numbers change in the top row, nothing. I have the option suggested clicked to on, which it wasn't when I originally had a problem with the plate game. This is just as bad. I have it on hardest difficulty. I have no idea what I can be doing wrong and have never had this happen with a game before. Do you have ANY suggestions, or any questions I can ask myself to clarify this? Thank you. I think potentially this is a lovely game but the glitches just mount up.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 12, 12 7:52 PM
Hi adelaidedoglet:

If you mean the 3x3 Pixelate Challenge you nee to drag the 3x3 Squares that go by at the bottom....You should be able to drag them from the row at the bottom...and place them on top of a 3x3 match within the picture itself. This puzzles should be skippable too.

Pixelate Challenge
Match Three by Three,
just drag and place.
If you miss, we'll help three times.
It's not a race

I'm sorry the game has frustrated you...especially the mini-games. There is an option that turns off the mini-games (within the main game...but you can still play any unlocked mini-game from the main menu).

If it's not this mini-game that you mean...I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help.

Joe

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on May 13, 12 12:31 PM
Hi,

Thank you.

After reinstalling totally for a second time, and prior to reinstall turning all the settings on...I am now able to play the mini games. I don't know what the glitch was but I have a feeling it was a combination of not choosing help messages and maybe also choosing the most difficult setting along with that. Whatever it was, it seems resolved now, and the game is good enough to be worth all of this fooling around to make it go.

Thank you for a good, long game...I am throroughly enjoying it now that the frustration element is gone.

Oh, I hate skipping things so that is never an option for me when I play...needed to get this straightened out and it is.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 12:32:29 PM PST

beckx020
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by beckx020 on May 26, 12 5:19 PM
Please help. I am at the last puzzle "The Final" something. Where the rock pieces are. What do you do there????? I can't go to the menu or anything. I have to kill the game from task manager.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 26, 12 6:05 PM
Hi beckx020:

There is a new version that fixes a problem with the last puzzle. If the timer is running out (on the older version)....there was a bug, that happened if you had set the difficulty to less than the middle setting. (If you set the difficulty to the middle setting...and go back to the final puzzle...should be ok).

Now...if that wasn't your problem...and you were using the fixed version....this is the only clue I can give you.

If you're able to click, and pieces swap...then keep trying, I don't want to give it away, but the pieces don't always swap.

Good Luck...Joe

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on May 26, 12 6:06 PM
Check out the "Updated Version on May 17th"...if you don't already have that.

[Post New]by Maggiemae1 on Nov 25, 12 11:34 PM
I am also stuck on the 15 numbers game in the Clutter II game. The skip button won't work, no matter how many times I try. I've also reloaded several times, too. I'm not even half way through the new game and it doesn't appear that I will ever finish it. I will try the 9 second lapse on the skip and see if that helps. I do fine on the other puzzles, but something about this one is driving me crazy! :-) ***********Went back and tried the nine second trick, and it worked. YEAH!

Edited on 11/26/2012 at 10:53:37 PM PST

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Dec 2, 12 8:13 AM
I'll try to be friendlier about that next time. Sorry for that being frustrating.

Videohound
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Videohound on Apr 7, 13 7:32 PM
Joe we need a new Clutter! I've played both Clutter and Clutter II over and over. When is Clutter III coming out? or are there other games like this?

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Apr 19, 13 10:16 AM
Thanks for asking Videohound.
I'm working on Clutter III: Who is the Void? now.
I'm hoping it will be finished by the end of Summer.
I'm glad you're enjoying the games.

Joe

MissJay82
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by MissJay82 on May 4, 13 11:04 PM
Hey.
Just wanted to say I just finished Clutter II.
Gotta admit I said some less than nice words about you (as a developer) under my breath while playing some parts, but I had so much fun, and I always tried again and again to get the hang of it.
I can't wait for the next! :-)

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jul 24, 14 12:41 PM
I'm totally stuck on the shuffle puzzle -- the one with the soccer players. I skipped it once and it "solved" but it still won't let me go on. I replayed it and got the picture perfect -- same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled and started a new game with a different profile. Same thing! I'll give it one more go and then I'm requesting a refund.

ETA: Oops! I forgot about the "sweet spot" -- finding the coordinates on the picture. Did that, got my first "non-rock" and was able to move on.

Edited on 07/24/2014 at 12:59:40 PM PST

Go to: