bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 11, 12 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 11, 12 12:47 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 11, 12 12:54 AM
This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Casual mode.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a Journal, but no Map.

There is a Phoenix ring next to the Journal, which you have to use from time to time to get rid of dark magic.

There is widescreen (for those who can get it).

Several of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are silhouetted, but in a really great and fun way. Also, these HOS are different from what you usually get, and are highly interactive.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes almost a minute to refill in Casual mode.

The graphics are of the usual ERS standards.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes quite a while to fill in Casual mode.

--- --- ---

IMO, this is one of ERS' best game. I loved the new HOS, and gameplay was really fun and interesting.

I bought the CE, and for once was very happy with the bonus game, which gave a perfect ending, although the main game also has a perfect ending.

Happy Friday, everyone.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on May 11, 12 4:56 AM
Played the demo and was surprised when my time ran out - is there not a cut off point for this demo or was I just playing verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly?

I enjoyed it. Very similar to the first SoM (Amber Maiden) but with a new environment and storyline. Typical ERS graphics, no surprises there. I think it was the same ambient soundtrack as before, unassuming and unobtrusive.

I don't usually like HO scenes using silhouettes, but as Valdy says, these are different, and fun The rest are standard (interactive) lists.

I played in the extreme mode, which almost caught me out when needing to skip a particularly irksome puzzle, but thanks ERS! - you make it possible to go back to the Options and change game mode temporarily and then switch back. I LOVE games which offer this.

The only thing I didn't like was the Phoenix ring, seemed pointless. This was a trick used in 9:The Dark Side, and I didn't rate it much in that game either.

All in all, a good little SE for those who like the ERS style games. This reminded me a lot of the first Shadow Wolf as well (as there is a wolf in it and some of the tasks are similar). If you want something different, this ain't it. If you like the familarity of ERS and the SoM game style. you'll like this game.

and a half

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 11, 12 7:01 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to pop in to mention that more reviews can also be found on the game page. If you're not sure whether to get the CE or SE version for this game, don't hesitate to check both the CE game page reviews and the CE Forum reviews.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 11, 12 9:25 AM
Another great game from ERS.. I loved the graphics and the storyline. It's a game that will be one that will be rated very very high. Puzzles are great too and hints reload fast for those of us that need help. I just think anyone that loves HOG's will want to buy as I am going to do.. Give it 5 out of 5 stars

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on May 11, 12 3:29 PM
I have to say once I started to play this game I could not stop.
The storyline, the flow of having to do things without junkpile
H. O. scenes interrupting me and dependent on getting what
I need to move on
the interactive silhoutte scenes, it all just drew me
right in.
Some of it is familiar, the "ring" (cannot remember right term
for it) to look for signs is familiar-used in other games.

Playing in Advanced Mode, how fast hints reload is not
all that important to me cause I try not to use them.

I was even impressed with the common sense use of
a certain item to get another item.

So, I am happily off to buy this and become immersed.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on May 11, 12 3:50 PM
As an earlier reviewer wrote, this game is typical ERS. I have enjoyed almost all of their games. I played the Collector's Edition in the advanced mode. I sometimes need hints in the hidden object scenes. There are no hints in hardcore mode.

I enjoyed the progression of the story and I enjoyed using the Phoenix to uncover the hidden runes. Other people complain about it but it breaks up the game a little for me because it's a lot easier to do than the rest of the game.

The minigames are fun. I had to skip a couple even though the strategy guide explained how to do them. I didn't feel like doing all the steps to get through them at the time. I know I'll be playing the game again in the future when I have more time to do all the minigames.

The musical tracks were good and not too obtrusive when I turned the music to low.

The graphics were done well. That made the hidden objects easier to find but they were still hidden well enough for me to have trouble with a few.

For those who want to know, the player doesn't lose any part of the story when they choose to buy the standard edition. The collector's edition just adds a little more to it.

I rate this game out of 5.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 12, 12 9:30 AM
this wll be a good game.--------doug

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on May 12, 12 9:59 AM
This is an excellent game I bought the CE which I usually don't do wasn't disappointed at all if this game falls under the half off sale then buy the CE you will enjoy it ok ok some will some won't but I'll bet my doughnut that most will like it

boomer331
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by boomer331 on May 13, 12 3:41 PM
I really enjoyed this game! Hidden object scenes were interactive and a nice change from the usual. The game flows well with far less back tracking than most games, when you need to go back to something it's always close by with new doors opening all the time. The puzzles were interesting and enjoyable with very little frustration. I was able to do them all without skipping or pulling my hair out. The game was challenging enough to keep my interest without getting bored and I found the game to be long enough, a good value for the money for sure!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on May 15, 12 12:19 PM
This game was far better than Spirits of Mystery - Amber Maiden. I liked the fairy tale aspect of it. The colors and HOS scenes were interactive and unique(to me anyways). This game is well worth the $$, and another good one ERS games!
Even the puzzles were new and sometimes challenging. I rate this a game!

[Post New]by browneyes11 on May 19, 12 7:22 PM
Enjoted this games alot !!!

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on May 21, 12 8:18 AM
Another wonderful game and everything I've come to expect from this Dev. Wide screen, beautiful graphics and animation. The game has a good story line, the mini-games are interesting and not too many HOS.

Many thanks.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 23, 12 9:12 PM
Another fun game from this developer! After playing the demo, I purchased the SE edition. I almost never even try a game that has silhouette clues in the HOS, but these were interactive and fun, so I'm glad I did. A couple of the puzzles were quite different from most, almost intriguing enough to keep me from skipping them!! I just don't have the patience for puzzles! They make me CRAZY and after about a minute of trying, I get bored and wait for the skip button. LOL!

I would say this game is about 75% adventure and 25% HOS (not counting the puzzles), but it was never too difficult to figure out what to do.

The game progresses logically and evenly from beginning through each chapter. I was sorry when I got to the end. I.recommend it.

ETA: And I do agree with addieh. This one if far better than Amber Maiden.

Edited on 05/23/2012 at 9:19:59 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 29, 12 7:05 PM
Really not sure why I bought this one....graphics are good, had to turn the horrible music off, voice overs are over done. I finally had to stop playing it...the muliple very difficult mini games were becoming boring. It seemed you had to solve some twirly color thing or weight thing, etc constantly just to move through the game...basically had enough of it. Also the sillouette clues were really irritating...never ran across one like this before. I give this a 2 and trashed it never to play again....

Edited on 05/29/2012 at 7:06:58 PM PST

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jun 6, 12 11:43 AM
Great game! The graphic's were nice and every scene was very colorful. All the puzzles were fun and not to complicated. Lot's of HOS and the plot was good. I enjoyed this game a lot.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 18, 12 6:55 AM
really nice game, some different puzzles too

Duetgirl
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by Duetgirl on Jul 23, 12 8:38 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed this game. Not so dark and sinister as a lot of them are. Great HOGS, puzzles, and graphics. The hint button recharged fairly quickly, which I occasionally needed. I will play this one again!

boofycat
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by boofycat on Nov 2, 12 9:40 PM
WELL DONE ERS! Definately your best to date. Graphics better than ever, and a great storyline. The lip sync was perfect in the voiceovers, how can a dev without english as a first language get it so right? This game held my interest right to the end. Do NOT judge this game by the trial. I almost did not buy it because the trial seemed like the same old, same old, but the story improved as the game went on and the graphics became brighter and crisper. A great game, congratulations!

Go to: