bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 12, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 12, 12 12:38 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 12, 12 1:25 AM
This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Easy mode:

When you click on "Play" in the GM (game manager), the GM will disappear, but comes back after you have finished playing.

There are 8 chapters.

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is Widescreen - for those who can get it.

There is voice-over.

For those with an older computer, there is a "Low quality" setting.

I never listen to the in-game music, but love the music that comes with this game (very "Pirates of the Caribbean" kind of music).

There is a Journal at the left, which you will get after a short while.

The HINT button (it comes in the shape of a darling-looking shrimp) takes about 55 seconds to refill in Easy mode when used in the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), but can be used without having to wait for a refill in the normal scenes.

Outside of the iHOS, the HINT button tells you there is nothing to do if there is nothing to do, but shows you where there is something to do, when there is something to do. And there is no waiting for a refill outside of the HOS in Easy mode.

The iHOS have good graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

Puzzles can be skipped, and the SKIP button fills relatively fast in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

This is quite a long game. Graphics are very well done, and gameplay is fun. Story is interesting and I very much enjoyed playing the whole game.

If you want to check out the reviews in the CE forum, here is the link:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/207850.page

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on May 12, 12 4:11 AM
This is a decent looking game, crisp graphics & some very nice artwork although not very colourful; there are some reasonable voiceovers & the dialogue is clickable, the music is pretty awful though.

There are 3 modes of play, casual with flares to signify the H0s, glints & a 60 second hint recharge, advanced with no flares & a long 2 minute recharge or hard with no hints or sparkles. You find the hint a little way into the game, it is an ugly but cute lobster, in addition you will also find a journal that gives some good clues. The hint is useful outside the H0s as it will let you know the scene is complete at that time.

The hidden object scenes are ok & have interactive items; there are quite a lot of them. There are fewer mini puzzles & these are the usual type & it really depends on which mode you select as to how hard they are. I found that on the easy for instance the simon says sequence of lights was far less complex than in the two harder modes.

The system cursor is a little dodgy, sometimes I had to click several times to pick up an item or shut a closeup scene.

The gameplay is quite simple & you don’t really get stuck wondering what to do next, there is no map so you will have to go back & forth regularly but the world isn’t that big so is not a problem.

I think I will probably wait before purchasing & see what others think of the whole game as I got rather bored by the end of the demo.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 12, 12 5:29 AM
i played as a CE, almost bought the game now i will replay to see if i really like it.--------doug

ezputt
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ezputt on May 12, 12 1:07 PM
Valdy,
thank you so much for your reviews. I never buy any game before I read you and cherb. You are so consice in reviewing games. It's the Canadian in me LOL
Have a great week-end.

Claire, the small fish in the pond.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on May 12, 12 7:43 PM
I loved the game. have to agree with all of the reviews.

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on May 13, 12 11:45 AM
I bought it and enjoyed it ..A very fun game

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 15, 12 6:33 AM
Huh. I'm the the dissenter here. This is based solely on the demo of this SE played in advanced (middle) mode: I didn't like the game that much, although I wanted to -- the music is an homage, well partially a copy of the theme from Pirates of the Cabibbean, and the Flying Dutchman is also a direct import from Pirates of the Caribbean, with the ghost ship and its dead inhabitants rising out of the sea. Taking all that into account, I still wanted to like this game because the graphics were certainly nice, bright (mostly) and tropical; but the really long hint refill (someone clocked it at 2 minutes), the cursor which wouldn't leave documents no matter where you clicked, until for no reason the document finally shrank and you could continue gameplay, the oddity of not being able to click out of a scene until you'd clicked on the screen to exit the comment at the top, all of this was pretty strange and clunky. Plus I found that items which should logically have been used to accomplish a task weren't available to use -- you had to find something else somewhere else to do the task, ignoring that, for instance a pair of scissors is rarely used to cut wire and is perfectly appropriate to cut a burlap bag. Then in the HOS's, there was the foldable comb/pick which I think came into general use in the 1970's, but I'm pretty sure wasn't around in the 17th century (or 18th) and the discharged battery ????? I reminded myself that I should be glad there were no cellphones or lipsticks in the HOS's, but still. Ultimately I think I just got frustrated about the lack of smoothness to the play and and the lack of logic. Sorry, no buy for me.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 15, 12 11:26 PM
Kind of a strange game. I played it in easy mode which I always do, as I really just want a casual game, not something to wear out my brain. This one will definitely not wear out your brain! It's really just too easy. The music was terrible. I turned it off. The voice over of the captain drove me crazy. I played about 30 minutes, and the two puzzles encountered in that time are so simple a 6th grader could do them. Not a buy for me.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on May 25, 12 8:30 PM

Pretty good game, guys! I enjoyed the graphics & the story line too. Th elength was not to complain about either...many Hidden Object scenes,,,,,enjoyed this game very much. So enjoy!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Jun 2, 12 7:04 PM
I liked the game. It was clear graphics, good music and storyline..however, I think they could have arranged the game so we could do more than one thing before going back and forth..back and forth when it wasn't necessary.
All in all tho, I liked it.

[Post New]by wangxiangpk on Jun 2, 12 8:06 PM

Edited on 06/03/2012 at 1:02:26 AM PST

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jun 5, 12 12:17 PM
I just finished the demo and I rather enjoyed this game.
The graphics are good, The HOG scenes are clear. So far have not been stuck. Sometimes I like a game that is a little more easy as this one is. Just enough to be relaxing and not frustrating.
I think I will use a future credit on this.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jun 8, 12 10:59 AM
Just finished! Great game!!

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jun 12, 12 11:29 AM
This was a great game with a good story to it. Lot's of fun puzzles and HOS. The graphic's were nice. I really enjoyed this game.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jun 15, 12 5:34 AM
This is a really nice game. Had fun playing it. The graphic's where great and the story was good to. Plenty of HOS and puzzles. I liked how when you would go into a room there were to different views of it, so you hard to keep track of where things were and which view it was in a room. Get the game cause you'll love it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 22, 12 2:43 AM
Well at least this one had a nicely wrapped up ending...happy one too. Not the most exciting game and it did drag on. I thought I would never get off the boat. The HINT button was another one of those annoying "there is nothing to do here" type that are really useless since there is a great deal of moving about. I had to use the walk-through a couple of times because the game basically came to a halt because the HINT key did not activate when there was a task to do. I give this one a 3 probably not worth full price, wait for a Daily Deal or use a credit.

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Jun 23, 12 11:06 PM
Personally, I love a game where the hint button works outside the hidden object scenes and tells you if there is anything left to do in the area. That's all the help I want or need - just tell me if I've done everything that can be done here and if I need to move on. Usually if I get stuck, it's because I've overlooked some item I needed to pick up, and this kind of hint system will point an oversight like that out for you.

This was a fun, fun game to play. The gameplay followed a logical sequence, and with the helpful hint button, I never had to refer to the walkthru. There was a lot of moving back and forth, sure, but it was always within a limited area, so you didn't have to move 15 steps one way, then 15 steps back like in some games (does Raincliff ring a bell for anyone?)

Add to that the beautiful, clear graphics and the impressive game length, and you have a "winner" in my book. I give this game an "A+"!

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jun 24, 12 10:04 PM
I just finished ghost towns-cat whatever the name of it is and thats by the same developer as this game so going into this I wasn't expecting a superb game and I do see they at least put in voiceovers which is an upgrade to their last offering and an interactive bit to the hidden object games but the cursor is still clunky and does not allow me to use my tap mouse on my laptop that makes no noise. Instead I have to push down on the clicker and even when I do that, it doesn't work well. I like how the graphics are a little better though and at least it seems as if this developer is going in the right direction. They are just not quite to that optimal point where I would consider buying another one of their games just yet....but thats just me of course.

Go to: