shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 13, 12 12:42 AM
Hello and Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's here.
A lot of people have been waiting for this game for a long time. This game is not an IHOG, it's an adventure game. I played the beta way back when and as I remember, this plays more like an IHOG without the hidden object scenes than it does a Large File type adventure game. I will be interested to see the comments later. Have a good day everyone and happy gaming.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Comments for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on May 13, 12 12:57 AM
Thank you for the recommendation. Downloading now.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 13, 12 1:01 AM
Hi all,
Nice Mother's Day treat for some of us - though I suspect that we won't be having a quiet and peaceful family get-together.
I'm having a lovely glass of "bubbly" myself whilst I wait for my DL to finish (bubbles both ends for me - my feet also are having a "treatment"). .
Cheers all.
PS: We need a champagne glass icon - I don't drink martinis and I haven't "met" too many James Bonds here. LOL

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 1:02:35 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on May 13, 12 1:01 AM
I noticed that the description did not include "bonus gameplay" for this CE. Does anybody know yet if the bonus content includes extra gameplay? Thanks!

ETA: It's odd, too that the description doesn't say that it's an Adventure game rather than a HOPA, but the "similar games you'll love" listed are all HOPAs. Oh well, I'm downloading anyway - I've never seen an ERS that I didn't love.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 1:04:30 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on May 13, 12 1:04 AM
I am happy for all of the adventure game lovers out there. But I am not one of them. I guess I will save my credits until next week.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 13, 12 1:10 AM
My opinion based on the entire Demo:

The Good: Well-done with creative cut scenes from WW film clips; good acting, yay, adventure with no H0G.

The Bad: IMO. It is quite easy and a little grainy in the graphics.

and the Ugly:

Did this tired old world truly need yet another creepy pc game with a theme of a kidnapped child, evil man, a murdered family, demons, etc. ....

and, especially released for Mother's Day!?

Oh well.

ETA: Oh, want to add, yes!... it reminded me of the Bate's Hotel, too, lol.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 4:10:05 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on May 13, 12 1:11 AM
Glad shadowfax cleared it up as I didn't come across any H O scenes, and I have never heard of it either so am not one of those waiting for it.

It has live actors and although I still think elephant has it re how they do it (I demoed their next surface) at least the live actors in this ERS game can lip synch! But apart from that and no H O scenes it is playing like any other game nothing special, in case I am missing something?

The graphics style isn't my favourite but it's fine and the skies are well done. Gameplay is very straightforward as is all ERS games (easy side). One of the puzzles is one of my favourites (the move the items by the arrows to fit into each slot). All 4 puzzles I played in the demo, like all ERS, are not hard. But the last 2 at least would be maybe be a 2.5 or 3 out of 5 (for a HOPA) if not for hardness it does take a few minutes. The first 2 were very easy.

I like how you can change hardness during the game but I'm playing at the 3rd level and I still get black bar tips a couple of times when they say I wouldn't be. And they give me the whole instructions for puzzles. I don't know what it is about some developers but we are not stupid and if I am playing in advanced mode I at least want to work things out myself although the puzzles are very straight forward so far, so it wasn't spoiling that much.

I don't think there are any morphs or anything to collect? The SG only shows 2 chapters in demo. But I am buying, with the sale and that there won't be any H O scenes. So will give a review after I played it in the next couple of days.

The music I didn't turn of straight away, which I normally do but will do when I buy it as it is looping too much. I did like the feel and atmosphere of the game and I put my girl pants on and played past the jump at you realistic snake.

I didn't like how when you clicked on something it sort of 'jumped' at you.

I'll see if I will be blown away after I finish it, at the minute it's just middiling along.

5 chapters and a bonus chapter 53 pages in SG. I took 45 mins on advanced (no skipping) for the first chapter. It will be an OK length but don't think it will be a long game.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 1:34:30 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 13, 12 1:12 AM
Strange...in the general tips it mentions "hos" but I haven't seen one yet. I played enought to stop and buy, and then went back. I am now on a puzzle that is going to take a bit more brain power than this tired one that I have, so will wait and play the rest tomorrow.

It does open full screen, and the voiceovers are good. As well as the real people. Scenes so far have been dreary, and yet it is keeping my interest, anyway. The music is a bit too upbeat for the theme and the scenes...doesn't fit at all. Hint only works if you are in a scene that has something for you to do, otherwise it just tells you there is nothing to do here. Good thing there is a guide...so far some of the logic escapes me, lol. But I have no doubt I will still enjoy it.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 13, 12 1:20 AM
sinshack wrote:I noticed that the description did not include "bonus gameplay" for this CE. Does anybody know yet if the bonus content includes extra gameplay? Thanks!

ETA: It's odd, too that the description doesn't say that it's an Adventure game rather than a HOPA, but the "similar games you'll love" listed are all HOPAs. Oh well, I'm downloading anyway - I've never seen an ERS that I didn't love.

Hi

Yes, there is the usual bonus content, SG, wallpaper and bonus game etc. Although ALL of the bonus content is locked until you finish the main game.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 13, 12 1:29 AM
I am really enjoying this game, as although I love HO's, I am so pleased that there are no HOS in it
Great fun trying to find out what goes where.
The only part I have a problem with is, that it does not let me see what the goals are I can read the diary and use the hints, I am playing on advanced mode. Anyone else noticed this?

Happy Mother's Day to all who are celebrating today. (Ours in England was during March)

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on May 13, 12 1:38 AM
peglegann wrote:
sinshack wrote:I noticed that the description did not include "bonus gameplay" for this CE. Does anybody know yet if the bonus content includes extra gameplay? Thanks!

Hi

Yes, there is the usual bonus content, SG, wallpaper and bonus game etc. Although ALL of the bonus content is locked until you finish the main game.

The Collector’s Edition includes:
Wallpapers and Screensavers
Original soundtrack from the game
Concept art

There is no mention in the game description that the CE game includes a bonus game/chapters. Can anyone confirm if there is a bonus game included?

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on May 13, 12 1:38 AM
Good morning and Happy Mother's Day Well shut the front door it is here at long last ! I was able to beta this bad boy a while back and I must say I loved every single minute of it and I'm not one that usually goes for the pure adventure but this one reeled me right in. It's brought to us by my all time favorite developer ERS ! This is something completely new and different for them and let be the first to say ERS you nailed it ! This game rocks ! There are live actors thorough out the game and lots of other characters as well. This one doesn't have any search scenes in it but you do have to go around and find stuff to help you be able to do things. You have landed yourself in a deserted town just because you stop for gas and snacks needless to say the little girl with you goes into the store only she doesn't come back out so you have to track her down and while doing that you have to uncover the deep dark secrets of this deserted town. This one is going to be a wild ride I can already tell and it's a huge world from what I can tell there are puzzles through out the game I've only come across one so far but I just got started on the game and stopped to buy it oh yeah I wasn't about to let this one slip through. The graphics are really good and the music is very fitting for the time setting of the town. There is also your diary, inventory box, and a film projector that you can watch clips on to help you out as well this one is a winner. Thank you ERS you did a awesome job on this one as you always do nobody does it better ! Thank you ERS and Big Fish for this new and exciting game on Mother's Day !

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on May 13, 12 1:42 AM
MsFreddie wrote:
There is no mention in the game description that the CE game includes a bonus game/chapters. Can anyone confirm if there is a bonus game included?

yes there is a bonus game plus the regular 5 chapters. there doesn't seem to be anything else though - achievements or morphs etc.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 1:44:02 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on May 13, 12 1:53 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Hello and Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's here.
A lot of people have been waiting for this game for a long time. This game is not an IHOG, it's an adventure game. I played the beta way back when and as I remember, this plays more like an IHOG without the hidden object scenes than it does a Large File type adventure game. I will be interested to see the comments later. Have a good day everyone and happy gaming.

Then I have one question. Why does it mention H0S's in the Strat Guide under the Tips section? Just curious. Also this reminds me of Bate's Motel. The one scene when you go back outside for the first time it looks like the scene in the movie, to me anyways.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 1:56:27 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 13, 12 1:59 AM
Sorry, I must not have made it clear There is
Music, concept art, wallpapers, screenplay and "Play" (Which is the bonus game) According to the SG the "Bonus Chapter" is 9 pages. Hope this helps
MsFreddie wrote:
peglegann wrote:

Hi

The Collector’s Edition includes:
Wallpapers and Screensavers
Original soundtrack from the game
Concept art

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 13, 12 1:59 AM
gmac1007 wrote:Good morning and Happy Mother's Day Well shut the front door it is here at long last ! I was able to beta this bad boy a while back and I must say I loved every single minute of it and I'm not one that usually goes for the pure adventure but this one reeled me right in. It's brought to us by my all time favorite developer ERS ! This is something completely new and different for them and let be the first to say ERS you nailed it ! This game rocks ! There are live actors thorough out the game and lots of other characters as well. This one doesn't have any search scenes in it but you do have to go around and find stuff to help you be able to do things. You have landed yourself in a deserted town just because you stop for gas and snacks needless to say the little girl with you goes into the store only she doesn't come back out so you have to track her down and while doing that you have to uncover the deep dark secrets of this deserted town. This one is going to be a wild ride I can already tell and it's a huge world from what I can tell there are puzzles through out the game I've only come across one so far but I just got started on the game and stopped to buy it oh yeah I wasn't about to let this one slip through. The graphics are really good and the music is very fitting for the time setting of the town. There is also your diary, inventory box, and a film projector that you can watch clips on to help you out as well this one is a winner. Thank you ERS you did a awesome job on this one as you always do nobody does it better ! Thank you ERS and Big Fish for this new and exciting game on Mother's Day !

Hi gmac,
This is great news IMHO and supports some info I received elsewhere about this game.
Now, my evening meal is almost ready, and my DL is almost finished, so what will I do?
Eat of course - roast and dessert for me tonight ..... with the extra treat of the premise of a fun gaming adventure for "afters".
Hm, maybe I am an evening Hobbit, not second breakfasts, but second evening desserts!
Cheers.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 13, 12 2:02 AM
sinshack wrote:Oh well, I'm downloading anyway - I've never seen an ERS that I didn't love.

Well, you see one now... Filthy and ugly surroundings and backgrounds...yikes! Some other company bought my favorite devs.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 13, 12 2:04 AM
sassylassie wrote:
shadowfax44 wrote:Hello and Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's here.

Then I have one question. Why does it mention H0S's in the Strat Guide under the Tips section? Just curious. Also this reminds me of Bate's Motel. The one scene when you go back outside for the first time it looks like the scene in the movie, to me anyways.

Highlighted the section that I am replying to.

LOL! You are correct. I do not normally read the tips but it definitely says that the "Hints are available in the main quest and in the HOS"
Well spotted

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on May 13, 12 2:10 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice on the extras. Is a buy for me.

rexred54
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by rexred54 on May 13, 12 2:26 AM
Happy Mother's Day everyone , I am on the fence on this one. The stated extras for the collector's edition:
Wallpapers and screensavers
original soundtrack
concept art

does not warrant paying double. I don't know if the SE when it comes out will contain the strategy guide and bonus chapters or not.

Then again with the current sale I just might buy it anyway, decisions, decisions.

Go to: