Celeryhart
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

Nothing to do here..!!

[Post New]by Celeryhart on May 13, 12 6:50 AM
I'm so fed up with games that just say "there's nothing to do here"... Lord above if you don't monitor every step with the strategy guide then you are doomed... and that is a pain in the ****.. and spoils the fun. Why don't developers just point me in the right direction like some great games do. ?? That gives me the freedom to explore the game and try to solve things on my own but if I can't then the hint will show me where I need to go.

I'm not even going to bother finishing this game. To have to back track to find the one medal is too much trouble and it ticks me off.. !

just my opinion.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Nothing to do here..!!

[Post New]by vingilot on May 13, 12 7:15 AM
I'm the opposite. I prefer the "nothing to do here" to the "go to X and use Y on the Z". Let me figure things out on my own. All I want to know where NOT to waste my time.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 13, 12 7:20 AM

I vote for "nothing to do here".

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on May 13, 12 7:48 AM
The "nothing to do here" can be annoying

I wind up backing out as far as I can and retracing my steps.

Very time consuming.

I also do not like the "go to X and use Y on Z. Too much info.

I prefer the "map" that tells you were objective are still to be met..

just my HO

I do like the vintage film footage..Unique..

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 13, 12 8:02 AM
I too do not like " Nothing to do here". I like games that point me in the right direction, especially if the game is large with many locations. Once I get there I figure it out on my own.

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 8:03:00 AM PST

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on May 13, 12 9:59 AM
Celeryhart....I'm right behind you....I HATE that!!!!!!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on May 13, 12 10:10 AM
mhatfie wrote:I too do not like " Nothing to do here". I like games that point me in the right direction, especially if the game is large with many locations. Once I get there I figure it out on my own.

Here you go...... I am thinking of a large -> exit from the game arrow for you! LOL!
I know what a lot of people mean but this game has hit me at the right time. I was becoming so tired of looking for................. feather, crowbar, weight, compass (both types) hammer, chisel, teapot etc etc.........................it is like a breath of fresh air!
Just MHO. LOL!
Have fun mhatfie

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 13, 12 11:04 AM
Micha1234 wrote:Celeryhart....I'm right behind you....I HATE that!!!!!!!

Ditto!

Reason: if the game has not linear moving among locations, and I have about 20 locations to visit - it requires direction arrows (as some developers already put), or a map (as some developers supplied). That's the least any adventure game would take care of.

For instance: I opened 3 locations, with 10 sub-locations in each one - and collected from each of them objects. Now I have 30 locations to visit...
If I meet "nothing to do here" comment - I have to begin from the 1st location, and check all the 30 - or use the SG, in order to proceed faster. No need to say, that the pleasure of the play rates down rapidly.

When I test a game, and spot direction arrows, or a map - it's a must for me. Not all the time I use the arrows, but it's good to have it, in case I am stuck.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on May 14, 12 12:39 PM
Nothing to do here just gives you a hint...move on...think about the objective of this part of the game...no real hint, but enough to have you think about how to move on further with the game
I guess, you can tell, I think it is a good way to tell you to move you on without 'holding your hand'. That is just my take on it.

Go to: