bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Marie Antoinette and the Disciples of Loki

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 15, 12 12:29 AM
The year is 1787 and the French monarchy is living its last years of peace. In Vienna, Mozart is just about to finish his latest opera. Far to the north, in Iceland, a tremendous volcano eruption has already changed the face of Europe forever. What is the link between those events? Join Josepha Duschek, a famous opera singer, as she investigates a mysterious crime and begins her quest for the truth. Uncover the traitorous plots surrounding Marie Antoinette, the Queen of France, and track down the suspicious disciples of Loki. Travel to marvelous cities like Philadelphia, Versailles, Vienna and Prague and meet famous historical characters such as Mozart, Benjamin Franklin, Jeanne of Valois and even Marie Antoinette! Sharpen your skills through puzzles and brainteasers in this exciting Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Marie Antoinette and the Disciples of Loki

[Post New]by Valdy on May 15, 12 12:54 AM
A very awkward game to play. No choice of cursor, only one gameplay mode, and you have to do the tutorial (and you better with this game).

I have only played barely 15 minutes before I exited the game, so I won't be doing a proper review for this game.

I haven't come across any hidden object scenes as such, but had to find 10 pieces of paper in the scene. (yawn)

I quit the game when I was told that I am supposed to look for the "bout-rimé". Now, I don't speak French, and didn't have a clue what I was looking for. However, I entered a room - by accident - and clicked on the fireplace - again, by accident - and there, in close-up, I was told to find a way to piece together the "bout-rimé", using its ashes. I must have done it, because now I am supposed to do something else. But don't ask me what a "bout-rimé" is, still haven't figured it out.

In the screenshots on the main game page, one of the screen shots has some writing in French. I don't know whether that has been corrected by now or not, but if not, you are in for a bit of French lesson.

I saw lots of things lying around on the ground in one of the main scenes, but couldn't click on it and neither did I get a description. So I guess I will only be able to know what they are when the time is right. A strictly "do one step at a time" game, I think this is.

BTW, when you install the game, an Open AL window will pop up, which installs something you apparently need for the game to run smoothly or whatever it does.

Anyway... happy gaming, everyone.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on May 15, 12 1:04 AM
Same here valdy, 15 minutes and that was enough for me.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 15, 12 1:07 AM
10 minutes for me.

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on May 15, 12 1:10 AM
Thanks, Valdy, for taking one for the team (again). I was debating trying the demo, but now I know to give it a pass. Have a on me.

kimberelf
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by kimberelf on May 15, 12 2:43 AM
just so you know, a bout-rimé is a type of rhyme or poem, sort of like a game you'd play with a friend, it's in wikipedia

and looking that up was FAR more interesting than any point in the game was... *sigh*

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 15, 12 2:47 AM
I found this game tedious to play.
I played for 29 minutes and did some HOS, but, the objects were either very small or in some instances impossible to see.
The hint seemed to recharge fairly quickly, but, I did not time it.
Also, I did not allow the Open Al to d/l and the game played fine for me.

@Valdy,

Possible spoiler alert:

All I did was place the poker in the fireplace and it was obviously the correct thing to do, but, I don't know exactly what it did.

Bouts-Rimés, literally (from the French) "rhymed-ends", evidently used to be a game played where lists of words that rhyme to one another, were written by someone and given to a poet, who was to make a poem to the rhymes in the same order that they were placed upon the list. I guess this was supposed to be what was written on the piece of paper!
A clue of some sort?

Doesn't matter, in spite of trying I just could not get into this game AT ALL.
Sorry, it is a delete for me!
For those who may enjoy it, Happy Gaming!
BK

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on May 15, 12 3:23 AM
I did not like this game at all. Too stiff and not sure what to do in each scene. Too much dialog for me. Seemed very out dated.
Sorry

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 15, 12 3:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation on that elusive bout-rimé.

Yes, I suppose I could have looked it up on Wikipedia (my all-time favourite), but when I am right in the middle of a game, I really don't want to get out of it or put it into window mode so I can access wikipedia to find out what the word means so I have a clue what it is I am looking for.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on May 15, 12 4:09 AM
People keep shouting for something different and here it is.

Personally, I didn't like it.

Hate when screens don't close after you've finished.

Hate it when areas stay open for investigation after you've got what you need.

Hate when I'm asked to look for something when I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for.

Hate it when you appear to have done what needs to be done but you've no idea how you did it.

Hate it when you have to move your mouse around the screen looking for active areas when the cursor is so small you can't see when it changes.

@ Valdy - I thought what you thought when I read the post above yours in the review thread.

Edited on 05/15/2012 at 4:10:45 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 15, 12 4:23 AM
JulieJay wrote:People keep shouting for something different and here it is.

Personally, I didn't like it.

Hate when screens don't close after you've finished.

Hate it when areas stay open for investigation after you've got what you need.

Hate when I'm asked to look for something when I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for.

Hate it when you appear to have done what needs to be done but you've no idea how you did it.

Hate it when you have to move your mouse around the screen looking for active areas when the cursor is so small you can't see when it changes.

@ Valdy - I thought what you thought when I read the post above yours in the review thread.

So... can we take it then that you didn't like the game? LOL

I too was rather confused when a scene (the one where I was picking up a piece of red cloth) stayed open. I saw this square of different shades of green, and for a moment I thought that was a glitch in the game until I realised it was still that zoomed-in scene where I found that piece of red cloth (which was still visible in the main scene even after you have picked it up). *sigh*

And yes, poor whatstheirname in the review thread. I suppose someone has to add something positive, even if it's the makers themselves.
I do wish they wouldn't sneak in and pretend to be someone they are not, and just tell us who they are.

Yesterday's Titanic game almost drove me to buy the CE for "Dark Alleys" (want to get the SE), and today we have an even worse game offered. I really have to will myself not to click that "buy" button for "Dark Alleys". Do I sound somewhat desperate for a new HOG? You bet!

ETA: And then again, this is just a soft release. TGT "Island Defense" is today's disappointment. Can't wait until Thursday when that fab CE comes out.

Edited on 05/15/2012 at 4:33:51 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 15, 12 5:02 AM
After the wonderfull sale in the weekend, I was thinking I hope not that we get terrible games now. And yes, we get it. Where to spend the lovely credits??? LOL

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on May 15, 12 6:02 AM
Really? over a 1/2 hour to get through the first chapter & I still don't know how I managed that-

btw---isn't LOKI the god of Mischief in Norwegian?

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 15, 12 6:14 AM
cherbtoo wrote:

Players ... I would advise you to have your speakers turned down until you have adjusted the music volume in the game as the initial blast of music really made me jump because it was so unexpectely loud even though I had mine turned down to the minimum after playing the TGT immediately before this one.

Thanks, cherbtoo!
I play with earphones on so that would have been a nasty surprise!

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on May 15, 12 12:24 PM
Valdy wrote:So... can we take it then that you didn't like the game? LOL

What gave me away? LOL

Hope you've found something to play.

pogoscat
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by pogoscat on May 15, 12 1:45 PM
Please, don't waste your time or money on this game. It was very cumbersome and clumsy. I played 10 minutes and it was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Run away fast.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 15, 12 2:02 PM

IMO this would be a great game IF a dev took the story and used the great graphics and gameplay as in most other games (ie. CE version league).... it certainly would be a nice reprieve from all the creepy themed games. (Not that I don't enjoy an occasional creepy game, but there IS a saturation of them).

ie. take the historic themes such as this and create the excitement and intrigue that the 'other' games do (w/o all that darkness) and it would be super~! Just a thought.

PS: Bottom line: the gameplay was like out of the 1980's or worse... it certainly wasn't the plot... it was the graphics and gameplay that were just plain horrible here.... update this with some great graphics, sound and action and it would be A+++ History is very interesting and historically based plots could be a really good source for some wonderful games. History provides us with every genre of excitement, interest, lessons, stories and all true... would be cool IMO.

Edited on 05/15/2012 at 2:08:38 PM PST

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on May 15, 12 3:27 PM
Like most of the players here, I gave up on the game after a short period of time. In my case, that was sixteen minutes.

Like most other players commenting, I didn't know what a "bout-rime" was (nor do I know how rummaging around in the ashes of a fireplace found one). Not knowing what I was looking for was frustrating--I generally expect game instructions to be comprehensible. I also disliked the searchable areas remaining searchable after I'd gotten the object; I thought that I had missed a second object that I was supposed to find.

The hidden items tend to be same-color on same-color and either very, very small or the size of half of the background. My eyes are not good enough to distinguish a yellow music note from a wall of the exact same shade. This is a game that would, if I played it for very long, cause serious eyestrain.

The graphics were cartoonish, and not in a good way.

I'm sorry, but I can't recommend this game.

[Post New]by gentlegranny on May 15, 12 9:11 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote:
IMO this would be a great game IF a dev took the story and used the great graphics and gameplay as in most other games (ie. CE version league).... it certainly would be a nice reprieve from all the creepy themed games. (Not that I don't enjoy an occasional creepy game, but there IS a saturation of them).

ie. take the historic themes such as this and create the excitement and intrigue that the 'other' games do (w/o all that darkness) and it would be super~! Just a thought.

PS: Bottom line: the gameplay was like out of the 1980's or worse... it certainly wasn't the plot... it was the graphics and gameplay that were just plain horrible here.... update this with some great graphics, sound and action and it would be A+++ History is very interesting and historically based plots could be a really good source for some wonderful games. History provides us with every genre of excitement, interest, lessons, stories and all true... would be cool IMO.

Thank you! Well said! Such a fresh, look at life could be almost as good as strolling the gardens of Versailles, climbing the steps of Pisa's tower or hailing a coach in London, in person!

anubischick
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by anubischick on May 15, 12 10:20 PM
Unlike most here, I do know what a Bout-Rimé is, but then I grew up in the UK and French was taught alongside English at my school. Our French Mistress actually gave us an example of them as a teaching aid.

However like most here, that knowledge wasn't remotely helpful in making this game enjoyable. I think I made it just short of the 30 minute mark and then had to cry J'abandonne!

The worst thing about this game isn't the awful gameplay, or the cartoony graphics or even the lack of comprehensible instructions, it's the fact it could have been great. Accurate and entertaining historical games are rare as hen's teeth and this one has some much potential. it is such a waste that what sounded like an interesting story was let down by such second rate execution.

Go to: