bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Island Defense

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 15, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Island Defense? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Island Defense page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Island Defense

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 15, 12 12:37 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

akferret
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by akferret on May 15, 12 1:11 AM
Pretty boring. You build towers to defend your islands from enemy ships, it seems pretty passive. The ships came through and I wanted to click and bomb, not how it works, the towers do that part. Played about ten minutes, but I'm not even considering buying it.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 15, 12 2:47 AM
A nice idea here in terms of things to do and achieve----but very poorly executed. Interaction is extremely limited, and everything on the screen is way too small. Too bad, because the principle of the game is sound. No buy here.

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on May 15, 12 3:35 AM
Finally... a tower defense game! I am really trying hard to like this game, as there are not many of this style around which I feel are really worth playing, and are true to the 'tower defense' genre.

3 levels of difficulty, however unlike Garden Defense you cannot change difficulty for each level, as this appears to be preset at the start of the game.

The ships can sail along variable routes rather than one preset path, and I think this adds an element of unexpected variety. There are markers on the side of the map to give an indication of where to expect enemy ships to sail from.

Towers don't appear to be very different visually after they're upgraded. In the EARLY stages of the game, it appears the only way to heal a tower is to upgrade it. There is an item later which you can use to heal a tower over time.

Overall, I think this game has possibilities...

Maybe I missed something in the walkthrough... the Durandal tower is obviously a bomber tower, the Falcon tower is obviously an arrow tower. What's the Phoenix tower and what are it's benefits?

I like the idea of having extra mini games to play. Thanks guys!

Edited on 05/15/2012 at 3:36:45 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on May 15, 12 5:56 AM
I guess if you consider sitting with your hand under your chin whilst watching towers blow up ships and then get to click on a bomb to add it to the water to help then this is for you. Me, well I like more interaction with a game, not one that could actually put me back to sleep,lol. Sorry BF not for this gal.

Tink44
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Tink44 on May 15, 12 9:33 AM
Downloaded, started it and then uninstalled it. Not very inspiring. Somewhat boring. Surprising how non-English spellings grate. I wanted to change the "s" to a "c", make it Defence!! I guess that's being picky!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 15, 12 4:06 PM
I totally agree with Mzchaos about there being too many clouds as because of them I too missed out on a lot of chests even though I'd heard the 'plop' when they hit the water.

I normally love a nice thin cursor to play my games with but in this case it counts against you because you have to be so accurate getting that tiny point on the chest and when you are under pressure of getting them before they sink it is even more difficult.

When you combine the above two things with the tiny size of the chests and Mzchaos comment about "needing every chest you can get" even on the third level I know that the game will be too difficult for me to play the later levels successfully and for this reason I won't be buying the game.

Cherb

Catzen
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Really boring

[Post New]by Catzen on May 15, 12 7:44 PM
I like tower games, and I like time management games, but this one is a real snooze.

I wanted to like it, but was almost relieved when the time ran out. I would never buy this game.

Specifics:
Everything was too small, it was difficult to see.

The clouds obscured the towers.

And did I mention it was boring? Place the towers and watch them get weaker. There wasn't even any sport in placing the bombs.

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Aerosage on May 16, 12 6:28 AM

Edited on 05/16/2012 at 9:27:43 AM PST

kna123
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by kna123 on May 16, 12 12:45 PM
Based on the reviews so far, I wasn't sure what to expect. I enjoy playing Garden Defense, so I thought I would give this a try.

It is definitely a strategy game as success seems to depend on how well the towers are placed for defending the citadel. At the beginning of the game, there is a choice of difficulty levels. I started off with the easiest level; although, I didn't get very far in the demo (just through Island 1 and started on Island 2).

I agree with others descriptions that the cloud cover makes things difficult to see. I missed a lot of treasure chests because of it. The chests are pretty small too, so I found it easy to oversee them.

I don't remember seeing this in the tutorial, but I did find that towers could be added while under attack, which helped immensely when I misjudged where ships would come in.

After the hour was up, I did find that I enjoyed this enough to buy. Looking forward to seeing how things will become more difficult.

Cornishwizard
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Cornishwizard on May 16, 12 5:44 PM
After reading mostly bad reviews of this game, I thought "Well, it's free for an hour. Give it a go!" So I did AND how pleased I was that I did. Yes, I know to a degree you sit there and let the towers hit the ships, but it soon became apparent, that, although you had no control on the towers accuracy, you could obtain bombs and then it was very clear that the outcome of the fight was dependant on where you, the player, placed the towers and the bombs.
There was a complaint about the clouds and the small size of the treasure trove that must be collected to improve your chances of success. Well, yes on both counts, but, no one told me about the balloons that can be had that automatically pick up the treasure trove! So, I can't see for clouds! Who cares, the balloon comes in and picks up. Still have to do some picking up yourself though.
OK so if you like doing everything yourself and your reflexes are great and your eysight is great etc etc then possibly this game is not for you.
However, if you like planning and seeing what happens and learning from mistakes, then this game is worth its weight in gold.
For zappers in Shoot-em-Up. Probably not for you, but for stragagists, I say "Buy it"
I shall now wait to see all the comments against everything I've said!!!

unclepaul
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
467 Posts

[Post New]by unclepaul on May 17, 12 5:08 AM
Love the game. Best is that it is not a click fest. Theoretically you could complete the level by purchasing all mines and placing them in front of the ships. Thats if you wanted frenetic excitement which would soon overcome you.

Using mines costs 1 gold for each ship destroyed. Using towers costs 12 gold (minimum) but it can destroy more than 12 gold worth of ships. And in addition sopme of the ships release treasure chests that increase the gold. Early upgrades of the towers makes them more economical with stronger firepower, or increased range or faster firing.
Always keep a few mines in reserve for that odd ship that slips through.
Balloons are most useful for picking up chests when the numbers of ships on screen gets larger and as mentioned are not affected by the clouds (of war??)

Managed to play right through as a private, and have added a fuller review on the game page.

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on May 18, 12 1:35 PM
Omg can't believe all the bad reviews! I absolutely loved this game and played the hour straight through! It is definately a buy for me. Something very different, my boyfriend was hanging round the computer the whole time to advise me on tower placement, so I told him to go away and he can have a go after me!!

Cornishwizard
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Cornishwizard on May 18, 12 5:06 PM
Hey Fishes. For those of you that have read the "We don't reccomend this game" All I ask is, give it a try. OK, level one is dead easy, put some towers whereever you want, sit back and watch. Yeh, OK boring, but stick with this game. By level two, yes, you still have to watch, but of course there are mines you can use, baloons that will pick up treasure, magical cliffs it just goes on and on.
Now try level 3! This is not a shoot up game. This is strategy. You think you have the right plan; you set up the towers; you place your bombs, your cliffs, you regenerate a tower immediately, slow the ships down and guess what? you lose!!!
There must be a way through because there are more levels.
For me, this game is great. The usual hidden object games are good, the Time Management are also good but this Tower based game, something I have never seen before, is really great.
If anyone knows of any better tower games, lets all be knowing, put the links on here.

chaleur
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by chaleur on May 20, 12 10:21 AM
I <3 tower defense games.

Good things about this one: I like that there were multiple ways to solve each level. Sometimes tower defense games are really puzzle games in disguise, and that's not as fun for me. There are multiple paths the creeps can take, which means you have to think a bit about tower placement. Also, the magic power-ups add an interesting element to the game.

Bad things: There really needs to be a 'speed up time' button for when I have my towers the way I want them. The game is pretty short -- levels aren't that hard to generate, and this game could definitely benefit from more of them. The mini-games can definitely go. I never saw any need to use any other tower than the Falcon towers, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Also the clouds didn't really add the game, and were annoying.

Overall I would say worth the credit. A zillion times better than any hidden object game, but could be improved too.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 10:25:21 AM PST

[Post New]by tarmik on May 31, 12 12:36 AM
Nothing to say. Great game. Yes, developers made some mistakes with slow overall process, clouds and small objects. But benefits are also cool. I can not remember any TD game with so many magic spells and variants to complete level. Game is pretty replayable.

Edited on 05/31/2012 at 12:37:04 AM PST

Go to: