bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 20, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 20, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 20, 12 1:21 AM
The review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual mode.

There are 6 chapters plus the Bonus game. Only the first 2 chapters are playable in the trial version.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you last left it open.

There are Awards (silly ones, I thought: used lots of hints in a HOS, done a puzzle, even if you have skipped it, etc).

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is no voice-over. ETA: I have just been informed that there is voice-over. It seems that the voices are part of the "Music" slider - I always turn down the music right away when I start a game, I never listen to it. So, since I didn't hear any voices when the ghosts spoke to me, the voice-over must be part of the music slider.

If that is the case, then that's a real big NO-NO !! Voice-over and music should always have separate sliders.

The Guide is at the left, the HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, is at the right.

There is no Journal, there is no Map.

The graphics look rough, especially in the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), where I needed to use the hint button a lot of times.

The HINT button refills in 25 seconds in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped, and those I came across were rather fun and easy. The SKIP button fills within 45 seconds in Easy mode.

The game starts right away, and only when you get back to the main menu, can you go to the Option panel, and add your name.

I would advise to keep the tutorial off. Unless you have never played a HOG, you really don't need it.

--- --- ---

I didn't care for the graphics.
There are quite a lot of HOS following one after another.
The story is of yet another haunted place, and ghosts come to you for help.

This game reminds me of yesterday's haunted town/ghosts game in that the graphics are about as crude (although not quite as bad), and gameplay wasn't really exciting enough for me to want to buy this game, and certainly not as a CE.

To those peeps who like this type of game, happy gaming.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 9:07:30 AM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on May 20, 12 1:22 AM
I beta tested this game and loved it, so I've been waiting for it to come out!

From the demo (and be forewarned that I've included some minor spoilers, but nothing huge):

Pros: Storyline. It starts out a little so-so, but I found that it gets more interesting the more I play. The characters are interesting, and the voice acting is good, for the most part. The voice acting helps make me feel sorry for poor Lillian, but the older lighthouse keeper has that sort of "younger person putting on an old man voice" thing going on. I enjoy the background music, though.The non-hidden object scenes are really nice looking. Some are a little foggy, but you are on a stormy haunted island, after all. Some of the hidden object scenes have a little bit of interactivity, which I like. The puzzles that I played were good, although nothing too difficult yet. I do hope that they get harder.

I like that there are achievements! Sort of spoiler alert: There are also 40 "lost souls" hidden around the island that you can find. Also, you actually get to hang on to some of the tools you find and use them multiple times! I was glad I didn't keep having to find a screwdriver over and over again. LoL

Wallpapers, screensavers, and whatnot are unlocked at the get-go, if you like to use them. Bonus gameplay is locked until you finish the main game.

Cons: The hidden object scenes are a little pixelated for me. Some scenes, hidden object and otherwise, are a bit dark around the edges, as well. A con for some (but not for me) is that there are lots of hidden object scenes, and sometimes there's two in a row, depending on where you go in the game.

All-in-all, I'm really enjoying this game. The graphics aren't the best I've ever seen, but they're good, and I'm liking the storyline and everything else enough to make a purchase.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on May 20, 12 1:24 AM
wow a first I don't care for this game at all not for CE anyway maybe with a $2.99 special I don't have an 55in screen I only have a 19 in and it doesn't fill even my screen the HO's are grainy and hard to see yes well hidden but for us with some poor eyesight real hard to find I had a devil of a time finding the mill(peppermill) even after I used the hint button hint button works outside of the HO's but you only get nothing to do here the SG is horrible it's in shades of brown until you click on them can't even tell if thats the scene you want shame this is not CE quality if others like it fine but def not for me read the reviews of others and had to continue the demo just to see why fishies we raving about the graphics well I got to say they do improve with time played but still not CE material but like others said looks like a lot of people worked on this game that maybe were mad at each other and did their own thing all the scenes are different if they got together I think this would of been a big hit so I edited it to a little better game but like I said still not CE mat

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 3:25:23 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 20, 12 1:48 AM
Based on the demo:

This game is from a dev I've not heard of so maybe it's a first time effort. That being said, I believe the devs have a loooonnnngggg way to go to catch up to some of the CEs we are seeing today. To me, the game seems very old and dated.

The story begins very, very slowly and it was hard to stay interested, but it picks up some as you move along----but what a boring start. Trapped alone on an island with some very unhappy ghosts that you must release from their misery.

The graphics are quite rough, and the HOS are a bit fuzzy making the searches unnecessarily difficult. The puzzles, though, were nicely done. The mechanics of the game were ok, but get your track shoes. And it seems the number of scenes are limited, but maybe that's just because there is an abundance of HOS.

No widescreen----in fact, the whole presentation is limited because in addition to the black bars, the top of the screen is used for dialogue, and the bottom is used for inventory items that stay in place. Too much wasted space.

The usual stuff for CEs is available including a strategy guide that stays in place, a bonus game, and the things of zero interest to me. (concept art, musical soundtracks, etc.)

No way this is a CE worthy game (IMO), and not much interest in the SE. Sorry.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 2:05:07 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 20, 12 2:22 AM
saphhire wrote:wow a first I don't care for this game at all not for CE anyway maybe with a $2.99 special I don't have an 55in screen I only have a 19 in and it doesn't fill even my screen the HO's are grainy and hard to see yes well hidden but for us with some poor eyesight real hard to find I had a devil of a time finding the mill(peppermill) even after I used the hint button hint button works outside of the HO's but you only get nothing to do here the SG is horrible it's in shades of brown until you click on them can't even tell if thats the scene you want shame this is not CE quality if others like it fine but def not for me

My monitor is also a 19" and a 'square' one and I found that this game has been made for Widescreen ones only but with a Windowed Mode and I have to agree with you that the latter size does not make for happy game playing. Not only are some things hard to see but I find it very distracting being able to see all the icons on my desktop round the edge of the game.

For us to play this game the alternative is to stay in Widescreen and, when you can't see the items you need then move your cursor as far to the edges that it will go and click blindly away while moving your mouse up and down in the hope of finding the missing objects. There is a small consolation in that ... unlike yesterday's game where I kept incurring the wrath of the blue lightning god for doing that ... this 'God' fills your screen with roses so that is an improvement .

PLEASE, PLEASE, DEVS can you make your games so that they can be enjoyed no matter what shape of monitor we use as some of us either don't like widescreen ones or are unable to afford to replace something that is working perfectly well. I beta tested this game for you and would like to be able to continue playing it and enjoy it while doing so.

Cherb

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 20, 12 2:31 AM
It does fill my wide screem, I like the voice overs, the story line is still an interesting one, I like finding the haunted souls, the music is good, and yes, the hos are a bit of a challenge, lol. I know this one isn't as catchy as Nightmares of the Deep, but I love these haunting mysteries, and I do realize too that this one was intended to be a deluxe, and was retooled for a CE. A couple of the puzzles I just didn't get, until after I skipped them and then saw the solutions in the guide...I try not to visit the guides too often, and it may just be that I am tired. I bought it, and will see how things look with fresh eyes later on, after sleep. I think it is worth playing, as I haven't yet tired of these games. Foggy atmosphere, ghosts, hos, and puzzles to solve. And yes, we get to keep the tools!!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 20, 12 2:48 AM
i agree with wolfenraindancer(native pseudo?)
there voices !you have to meet your first ghost for that!
it fills my 22'screen ,black bars are at the top and for inventory bottom screen
the music not so bad and i notice it in hidden objects,other scenes often have just sounds(wind,birds and so...)
not the game of the year,but story become more interesting as there is more details
i'm not tired at all of ghosts and creepy games ;i played in advanced mode and had not finished the demo in 1 hour
i played all puzzles without skipping
we have had better graphics for hidden objects scenes,but the landscapes are well done
if i have choice,i like better an old story well done that new one bad done with glitches!
and as i bought credits on mother's day,perhaps i'll buy this game!

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on May 20, 12 3:32 AM
This is most definitely a hidden object game from [removed by Moderator], during the demo I found a lot of them. The graphics were a little fuzzy (sorry couldn’t resist ) & a lot of the objects were well hidden or blended & took a while to find. The artwork was colourful & the island well depicted, I did not get any further than this area during the demo but there are other places in the game according to the guide.

The mini puzzles were a blend of the usual, put together a photo, join up wires, but there were some that I hadn’t seen before & it was fun to try & figure out how to solve them, they ranged from easy (once you know what to do) to average in difficulty.

There are two modes of play, casual with a 30 second hint recharge, sparkles & glints or expert with a 60 second hint, sparkles for the H0s only & a time penalty if you skip a puzzle. The game keeps track of how long you take to play & the hint is useful in that it points where to go & also tells you when a scene has no further actions.

There are 32 awards to win, you cannot open the whole guide until you reach the pertinent area but you can see the pages at the end with list of these awards. There are also 40 haunted souls to find, these are like morphing objects, however if you find them then you must have good eyesight as I only spotted one during the demo & I should have seen at least four.

The voiceovers were good & I really liked the music & the background sounds; however as I had reached chapter two during the demo & there are only six plus the bonus I think this may be rather short so will wait for the SE before purchasing.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 9:49:00 AM PST

[Post New]by Underthebridge on May 20, 12 3:58 AM
Just finished the game ..was a little bummed when the cursor froze, I was panicing...thought it was the game... come to find out I needed new batteries in the mouse. Thankfully I had them in reachng distance so my time was not missed by much, so that aside, I liked the game, I agree with most the HO's are grainy,but managable. I like the interactive part ot it. Knowing that I was stuck on the rock, I knew I would have to get out somewhere, never dawned on me that one could go into a lighthouse like that.,meaning the basement. Makes you wonder if they are like that in real life. Would be interesting to know...anyway...back to the game. Eager to want to buy, but not sure if it is worth it or not. If anyone has future comments on the subject please let me know.....Thank you,,,
A west coast fishie....
PS,, Thanks to you to...of all the games I have played have not seen this DEV before.....

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 3:59:32 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on May 20, 12 4:40 AM
Fantastic game. Maybe a few too many HOS for me personally but most of the puzzles are great. I loved it.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 20, 12 4:42 AM
I am truly on the fence with this one. I found it a bit slow moving. The graphics are okay and the music is not annoying. The SG stays open to where you left off. The hints refill pretty quickly in casual mode. I used the SG and hints quite a bit so I would get the CE for that reason but this is a game that I might buy in a sale. Although I think that the game gets better as you progress, I was not super excited and tempted to buy after the demo. After playing Secrets of the Seas demo, I wanted to buy the game immediately, this one....meh....I can wait.

robinbucy
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by robinbucy on May 20, 12 5:26 AM

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 9:50:15 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 20, 12 6:54 AM
Wow! This is a dreadful game. I agree with everyone on this one. I am so tired of constant HOG scenes. I might give some suggestions to the developers, [removed by Moderator]who is a new developer, I believe. And I was so looking forward to another great game. Try to keep your scenes current. The graphics are fuzzy and contain hard to see items in the HOG scenes. Keep your sound levels different between music and voice, Some of us do not want to listen to music as we are playing our games. Way too many HOG scenes with difficult items to find. I have a large screen and I had difficulty finding some of the items. I cannot imagine what it was like for those who have small screens. Your scenes are jerky and hard to navigate, so work on that as well. The storyline is the same as we have had in the past (BF must have a thing now for the sea), but it does not matter as long as you make it scary and current.if you doing a story about ghosts. Sorry to be so brutal, but this game should have never been listed as a CE. I will not buy this ever no matter if it becomes an SE.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 9:50:53 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 20, 12 7:56 AM
If you haven't read the Comments threads before coming here and seen that I quoted my beta test report there let me firstly say that I tried both the Casual and the Expert settings of the game and each time I did the hidden object lists were slightly different so there is a replayability factor to this game.

I found the graphics to be really very good on my computer and I have no problem with them or seeing the faces of the Haunted Souls. After due consideration I decided to buy the game and go with the roses option (see comment above) .

So having bought it I immediately set some wallpaper (choice of 6) and earned myself a 'True Fan' Award ... thank you for listening and implementing Devs it helped me decide to purchase .

I then checked out the rest of the Extras ...

The Strategy Guide shows 6 Chapters (48 pages) and there are a further 17 pages in the Bonus Chapter.

7 Minigames ... I clicked on the last out of curiosity and found an 'original' hidden object scene which was removed from the game before release ... now that is a good extra

9 Soundtrack titles ... I really like the intro music devs

3 Screensavers

Concept Art

Awards ... when I clicked on this it only showed what I had earned so far so I don't know how many there actually are. I don't mind silly ones that make me like the one I got for using the wallpaper .

So [removed by Moderator] have tried to give us nearly all that we have been asking for but I have to agree with Valdy in that I feel there should always be a separate volume control for the voices because, I personally, prefer my voices to be quite loud and my music and sound effects to be much quieter.

Cherb

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 9:52:27 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 20, 12 8:35 AM
I find it hard to rate this game, it went through so many changes. The first half I did not like. The artwork was rough and unfinished looking. I could not see the haunted souls for love nor money, so I never bothered finding them. There were far too many HOS in succession and they had unidentifiable things in them that I have no idea what they were. The objects to find were hard to see as well. Fortunately the game had a fast hint button. There was no diary, so I had to write down all the clues and codes I found. Something I discovered too late, so had to backtrack to find them again.

In the second half, it seemed as if different artists had been at work. The graphics became much better by far and the HOS much clearer. This was in the town and I quite enjoyed that part of the game, it was well done.

Then I came to the BC and everything changed again. It started in an old location, but new ones did open up, but again the artwork changed, for the worse. I don't know how many artists and designers they had working on this, but they need to make their next game more cohesive. This one is very scattered.

It is a very long game and took me 6.5 hrs, but not 6.5 hrs of fun and enjoyment, I'm sorry to say. Probably only about 2 hrs.

[removed by Moderator] is unknown to me, so if they are new devs trying to establish themselves, they really need to pull out all the stops for their next game, and I'm guessing from the end of this one, there is going to be a sequel.

All that said, it is not actually a bad game, just a not good enough one. I have definitely played a lot worse. I rate it 6/10.

I am happy to see quite a few positive reviews, so I hope the devs don't let people who feel like me dampen their enthusiasm. It's always possible to improve. They have all they need to do so at their fingertips. They just need to step it up a bit. Practice makes perfect.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 9:53:08 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 20, 12 8:38 AM
Sorry BF, duplicated my post.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 8:42:11 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on May 20, 12 8:54 AM
Well *sigh* - I'm afraid I'm beginning to sound like I'm not at all picky and like every game - but - I really do like this one I didn't recall that I'd beta'd it until I got to the island (then again - we are in a lot of plane crashes - so I don't feel so bad that wasn't immediately familiar ) - but seems like the beta was forever ago!

I think the graphics are well done - I guess we all have different definitions of "fuzzy" - if you go back to some games from 3 years ago - you can find some really fuzzy graphics - so sometimes it's perspective?? I'm drawn into the story - but as I said with yesterday's game I have a seemingly endless aptitude to like creepy/mysterious games!

I'm finding the H0 scenes easy enough & the graphics clear - then again we are in "perspective" land - I just played Clockwork Man this week and objects in that game are really, really, really hard to find - so by comparison this is a cakewalk!

Along with being a fan of myterious games - I'm also a sucker for extras like the lost souls and awards!! So those stand as more pluses in my book.

This will be a buy for me - but as I'm only part way through the demo I may need to come back and edit in my thoughts on lack of journal and/or map - I'm just not yet sure if missing those will prove to be annoying or not.

Happy gaming!! I'm off to finish the demo and unravel more of this mystery!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 20, 12 9:26 AM
In the second half, it seemed as if different artists had been at work. The graphics became much better by far and the HOS much clearer. This was in the town and I quite enjoyed that part of the game, it was well done.

Thanks Sheerija. It did seem to me as well that these devs are beginning and with a limited budget, I would think. I would not have started with a CE game, however. Should have kept it shorter and someone should coordinate the segments if there are various artists involved. Don't know what to think about this one. I always try to support new artists, so I may purchase especially since I think it will get better. Strange game. And what is with all these roses to block needless clicking in the HOG scenes?

Go to: