bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Whispered Stories: Sandman

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 21, 12 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Whispered Stories: Sandman? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Whispered Stories: Sandman page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Whispered Stories: Sandman

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on May 21, 12 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 21, 12 1:12 AM
This review is based on the demo, which I played in Sleepyhead mode. Awww...

There are 3 gameplay modes: Sleepyhead, Dreamer, Insomniac.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The JOURNAL is at the left, the HINT button at the right.
There is no map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have very nice and clear graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, refills within 15-20 seconds in Sleepyhead mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button also fills within 20 seconds.

--- --- ---

This is a very nice game, and what a nice surprise, considering what I have seen over the last week or so. Lovely graphics and fun gameplay. It's a definite buy for me.

Forgot to mention: This game comes in widescreen, although the play area is not widescreen, and you will see curtains on either side.

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 1:30:46 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 21, 12 1:20 AM
very well said,valdy!glad to see that when i betaed this one,there were no voices and it was a complain i made,and the dev have done something!
for a daily game a good one,very poetical!
music is too repetitive so i have shut !

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 21, 12 1:43 AM
I really dislike the custom cursor changes on this one. It is the first time I have opted to use the system cursor when playing. I am glad to see that it does change when needed, and I will stick with it for the duration of this game. That telescope and the big ole boot drove me nuts. Other than that, the game seems to be interesting, and I stopped to buy. Graphics look good, but I only heard one voice and that was at the beginning. I haven't gone very far into the game yet, so there may be more upcoming.

[Post New]by Lisa178 on May 21, 12 1:49 AM

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 6:27:44 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on May 21, 12 2:07 AM
Demo ended far too quickly; not because it wasn't an hour long but because I was so immersed in this really good game the time just flew by

Love the voices, very nice graphics, HOS are interactive, the puzzles so far weren't terribly difficult but nicely done and the story was interesting enough to keep me wanting to find out more. I played in 'dreamer' mode which is the second of the three choices; no sparkles but it wasn't frustratingly hard to work out what to do next! I loved the idea of naming the modes of play to reflect the game title; another nice touch from this developer (I missed their name).

Widescreen option gives curtains down the sides which I quite liked; turned off the custom cursor as always but it still changed to the appropriate icon for picking up something or zooming in on a scene, another plus for this game.

Definite buy for me and a

ETA: Loved the whole game but disappointed that it was very short. Only took a couple of hours to finish

Edited on 05/22/2012 at 12:29:41 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 21, 12 2:24 AM
Based on the trial:

A very nice surprise here----a neat little game that starts fast and keeps moving in very quick fashion to tell the story of being trapped in a dreamland where all kinds of traps, puzzles, and HOS are waiting for you to solve.

A completely different type of presentation which I liked very much. The graphics are clean and crisp, and the is some clever interaction in the HOS. The game keeps things moving by having a very fast reload time on the hint button which I liked. The hint button can also be used outside the HOS which is always a plus!

The WS option gave side curtains, way better than black bars. .

But the main thing that stood out about the game is that it is simply fun to play, The story is clever, the game play quick, and the mechanics are excellent and easy to use. As I said already, a very nice surprise here----and a buy!! Recommended!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on May 21, 12 2:32 AM
What a little charming game this is. I really like the storyline. It feel's a little different to me than the average storyline's we get all the time. I like the graphics and the animations are well done. The voiceover's are good also. The game options that have offered us this week, have been like a good smorgasbord. Absolutely Yummy! This is a must try forsure and an absolute buy for me. I'm off to enjoy this little charming treat.

YES: Voiceovers
YES: Widescreen (with curtains)
YES: Journal
YES: HOS
YES: Skippable Puzzles (but not in expert mode)
YES: Custom Cursor (it is sluggish for me)
YES: 3 Mode's of Play
Sound: Music/SFX Sound/Voice
Theme: Whimsical Charming Adventure

I rate this game:
“PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 21, 12 2:45 AM
I looked at the screenshots and saw 3 hidden object scenes and thought to myself I'm not even going to demo this as we have just had two games with a lot of those in and I am looking for a change but then I caught sight of the words above and they said it was a HOPA and so I downloaded it.

I opted to play in Dreamer (slow hints + no interactive indicators) and I also refused the tutorial so I looked here and wandered there making a list of all the things that I saw that I needed to find and all I had actually found was one little screw and from that moment on I was hooked and the next thing I knew was that Felix was telling me that time was up, the little spoilsport.

... The graphics are very good (I really like this type)
... The music was pleasant but became annoying with its repetitiousness (I muted it after a while)
... The items in the hidden object scenes are clear to see and have some interactive elements (I liked the )
... the puzzles are fun (the puppet theatre made me )

As for the unusual custom cursors, well at least you are in no doubt whatsoever where you can exit the scenes with this one (it is far removed from those miniscule footsteps last week ). They do however take a bit of getting used to but then everything new always does so persevere ... hmm perhaps one of them might have been better if it had 'kept its mouth shut and remained silent' so to speak as it was the constant movement that got to me a bit.

All in all this appears to be a very good game and I am looking forward to continuing playing it.

Cherb

ETA ...

Devs ... I love this type of game, please can we have more like it only a bit longer length ones please Thank you in anticipation .

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 3:22:52 PM PST

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on May 21, 12 2:58 AM
As usual I agree with every thing Valdy said ( I think I'm getting boring but I love Valdy's reviews) and have just bought what looks to be a really nice game. Great start to the day.

Linda

nell50
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by nell50 on May 21, 12 5:09 AM
I looked at the screenshots and saw 3 hidden object scenes and thought to myself I'm not even going to demo this as we have just had two games with a lot of those in and I am looking for a change but then I caught sight of the words above and they said it was a HOPA and so I downloaded it.

I did exactly the same, saw the 3 pictures and thought "not again, usual junkpiles etc" and was not going to download it at all to try until I read the reviews. The bad pictures clearly belie the good game that it is - obviously not a case of "every picture tells a story". Just proves how important it is to seasoned gamers that the pictures chosen to show the game is just as important as the brief write up. Happy gaming!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 21, 12 5:22 AM
This is really a good game. I had a great time special with the cats and the racoon. I had a sad feeling this morning, but this game makes me happy. It is not a long game but enjoyed very much!

The HOS and puzzles are very good.

Good job, devs. More games like this one.

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on May 21, 12 6:31 AM
Saw, on another thread, that someone thought this was "the worst game ever"....

Well, you know, variety is what makes the "pond" interesting.....

There have been a few times that reviewers I really trust have liked a game that I didn't... and, conversly, there have been times that I liked a game they found only so-so.....

I like this one - it's a bit odd and quirky... both of those are things that I enjoy, so I've used one of my game coupons to buy. It is not all HObj, though the screen shots make it appear to be so. But, I'm fine with more HOb's as I still find them fun...

It is a nice Monday surprise and, as I am still a bit "immobile" from knee surgery, it will keep me occupied today.

Happy gaming to all fishies......

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on May 21, 12 6:47 AM
I'm not sure why, but this game really is fun. So far, at least, it is a change from the dark, eerie games. It also moves along fast. I don't mean that it is easy, it is just fun. The games I have played, so far, have been different from the ones that are beginning to grow stale. I just bought this game and can't wait to get back to it. I have to go do some shopping, but look forward to this afternoon.

Thanks to the developers and to BF for brightening my day.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 21, 12 6:58 AM
Better late than never...(after 5 hours without electricity )...

You won't believe what is written about this developer (Insider Tales: Stolen Venus2; Lost Lagoon: The Curse of the Forgotten):

"...one of the leading European game publishers focused on female audience".

Well, that's enough a reason to buy this game, isn't it?

I like the game, and I like the great navigation, helping me not to ruin the sneakers. The graphics are great, almost the graphics that I like to see in games - targeted to please the player.

Thanks developers, Thanks BF!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 21, 12 6:58 AM
If you don't like the boot and telescope, de-select custom curser under the options menu. You'll get a nice little arrow that points the way, a magnifying glass and a pointed finger. Much better!

I'm not going to buy this one. I wasn't the one who said "worst game ever," but I did have a hard time with it... I'm not going to buy a game that I have to continually use the hint button, and in this one I did, at least during the demo. It seemed half the time the hints simply led me around in circles. Disappointing in a way, because the HOGs were nice and clear ... a little too easy, actually.

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 6:59:49 AM PST

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on May 21, 12 7:34 AM
I quit the demo early; I kept having to use the hint button over and over, and considering by the time I quit there were only four locations to go to (and most of the time there were only two) that's not a good sign.

SPOILER: In the time it would take for the character to make the "rack" for the boat (in order to get the jack), they could have made two oars for the row boat!

Music was repetitive for me. Graphics so-so. I'm guessing there are pirates in this game from the pirate ship in the water and the poster of the pirate, but can't get interested enough to find out.

lucygirl7
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by lucygirl7 on May 21, 12 10:01 AM
I had a hard time getting into this game and a hard time figuring out what to do. For me, it just didn't work. I had to get out twice just to find out what to do and I eventually gave up at just 30 minutes. I'm not the best player but I usually don't have this much trouble with a demo, so it's a huge NO! in my book.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 21, 12 11:31 AM
From the reviews, I thought this would be a good one. Voiceover was great in the opening scene, but then disappeared. Is it just me? Did I miss something? Not that this is a deal breaker for me, but the voice was better than most and I really wanted it to continue.

Music was repetitive and boring, and since no voice, I turned the sound off.

Positives:
3 levels of difficulty
Very fast hint refill in easiest mode
Hints work outside of the HO scenes
Unique interaction in the HO scenes
Fairly good graphics
Different type of story

I had some trouble figuring out what to do (or maybe I'm just spacey today), so I'm glad hints refilled quickly. I was just wandering around. I knew what I needed, but couldn't find anything. I saved half the demo to try later.

Go to: