bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 24, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 24, 12 12:37 AM
Hi fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 24, 12 1:09 AM
Never heard of these Serbian developers (as DLO wrote in the "comments" section), but after testing the "good karma" (i.e. movement, graphics, and hint system) - I bought the game on the spot!

There is a map (didn't test for transport yet), good graphics (with this equipment I would prefer more resolution, but I can bear the present too), and above all - direction arrows and help in and out the HOS! This gave me the option to lurk around by myself, and then use on need the help system to guide me.

After the download (large file), I'll come back to report the length.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

ETA 1: Length:
1) Main - 44 pages (written in small format, so it takes more space).
2) Bonus chapter - 15 pages.

ETA 2: Achievements:
1) Hidden estate photos
2) Father secret cards
3) Lighting lamps
4) Mystery achievements

The locations of all of them are written in the Strategy Guide.

...A lot of work...

Edited on 05/24/2012 at 9:45:46 AM PST

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on May 24, 12 1:33 AM
just finished the demo and the game looks wonderful, the demo time flew and I couldn't believe it was finished, but am not sure about buying the CE as I generally dont think they are worth the money so I will wait and see what others say about the lenghth of the bonus chapter

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 24, 12 1:39 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over for the characters only.

There are live characters.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The DIARY, which holds the Map is at the left.

In Easy mode, the MAP shows where you are as well as actions and objectives.
In the harder mode, only objectives are indicated on the MAP.
The MAP can't be used to jump to different locations.

The GUIDE is just below the DIARY, and just above the MENU button.
The SG (strategy guide) only shows the first 2 chapters, and stays open where you last left it open.

The HINT button (in the shape of a film reel), which also works outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the right.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) could have had clearer graphics, but are acceptable (except when they have added sun gleaming into the scene, which makes it harder for me to see clearly).

The HINT button only takes 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button only takes a short time to fill in Easy mode.

There are ACHIEVEMENTS for all kinds of things you do.

--- --- ---

This is a very busy game. Apart from the main gameplay you can find 10 of this and 20 of that, and 10 more of something else, to make the game more interesting.

I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when playing the trial, but when I found my first "10 of this", I got interested, because those are the things that make it more fun for me.

I don't think I will get the CE, unless I hear a large amount of praise for the bonus game. Otherwise I will get the SE.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 24, 12 2:19 AM
Based on the demo:

I don't have much to add to the excellent summary of the game by Valdy. But there are 2 complaints.

First, no widescreen. But unlike some other devs who should have brought their games up to speed on this issue by now (rabbits, elephants), this is a new dev so I can let this pass because there are many other good qualities present (more in a minute).

Second, I think the strategy guide is a mess. You must be very careful in it's use or you will get easily lost. And since it is such a busy game with lots of things to do and collect, I just think it could have been organized a good bit better.

But as I indicated, there is a lot to like. The story is intriguing, the graphics are good, the game play mechanics are excellent, and I like the achievements section. (clever)

All the usual CE stuff is there with a couple extras (bonus puzzles, making of) thrown in. But as so many are complaining about, the game must be finished before everything is unlocked. I'm with the people complaining about this also, because if you've bought it, then you've bought it, and everything should be available.

But overall, this game represents a nice effort from a new group of devs that appear to have put a lot of careful thought and time into making this one. So despite the lack of widescreen (maybe next time, devs?), and since Rebeca_Lily indicates there is a good length to the bonus game, I'll buy this one!

Edited on 05/24/2012 at 2:51:37 AM PST

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on May 24, 12 4:01 AM

Edited on 05/24/2012 at 10:24:44 AM PST

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on May 24, 12 5:08 AM
@ guylee1 - me too, and I got around to beta'ing it last night. Very weird to see it released today, especially since mine was glitchy and very slow-moving. Oh well, I guess my comments won't be necessary after all.

Maybe this will be a popular game here, but I disliked and was bored by the beta, and thought it not CE quality at all. I found it amateurish in its presentation and gameplay with over-simplified puzzles and dull, blurry artwork/graphics. Everything felt very samey and BTDT, despite its attempt at a somewhat original storyline. I felt this game was strictly SE, but the inclusion of items to collect suddenly raises it to CE status? To me, CE games must have a certain something, beyond the obvious additions of item-collecting or silly atta-boy achievements (i.e. "Wow! You solved three puzzles without any hints! "). This game didn't have that 'something' to me. But then I've played so many of these games I'm sure I've become much more demanding as a game player and consumer.

Edited on 05/24/2012 at 5:09:20 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on May 24, 12 5:28 AM
I found the intro intriguing -- except for the hair on the girl; much too modern and felt out of place. I think it's an interesting story, and nice art deco graphics, but the cursor was wonky and I did only two HOS before exiting. They were too blue for me. I suppose that's just my personal vision problem, but for me it was a problem. Now, with the music, the story line, and the nice VO, I would probably purchase it as an SE, and indeed, have just put it on my list "to buy," but not as a CE because of the difficulty seeing the hidden objects. This game for me, gets both and .

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 24, 12 5:31 AM
OMG what a start to a game!

I'm sorry devs but just trying to read the Menus on the Start Page, Options and Extras has given me a splitting headache and I very very rarely get one. The reason for it is the warp speed that the background is continuously flashing past at, this just didn't put me in a good frame of mind for demoing your game.

The style of graphics in the hidden object scenes are slightly blurry and I had to lean closer to the screen to distinguish some of the items but they are livable with.

The Extras that you have included in this version ...

Bonus Game
Pictures
Puzzles
Music
Movies
Photo Session
Play HO
Play Bonus HO
Making Of

really do sound worthy of this game being called a Collector's Edition

That said I found the storyline quite intriguing and I would like to be able to buy this game if only you could find your way to changing the background of the three menu screens to static ones because I really can't face looking at them again the way they are.

Yours hopefully

Cherb

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 24, 12 5:37 AM
Well, its a mixed bag of reviews ins't it. For me..through the demo only//this was a beautifully graphic piece of art. I liked the art deco interiors, the seemingly depth of the different scenes, even the actors.
I think the artists did wonderfully with this one.
The music was ignorable..prettty dark and a fairly short loop.
What I didn't like, and this might stop me from buying the game completely..which is a shame because I would've bought it as a CE..was the light work.
I'm one of those folks that flashing lights gets to sometimes. It was the little hint wheel at the bottom right that got to me..have a headache already. I kept hitting hint to stop it, but since it is a very thughtful hint system, it cranks up right away. SO, I was hitting the hint button even when I didn't need a hint just to stop it. It really interfered with the gameplay as you might imagine.
There are no options to chill it out..so with the lightening, flickering candles and the hint reel..it was too much. I'm very disappointed because I was enjoying what this new developer had put together.
So, developer, if your listening, give us light-sensitive folks an options to crank down the effects. Whell be happy to play the game even without all the light drama.
kris

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on May 24, 12 6:04 AM
OMG...did that demo fly by, that means I am really liking this one, so sad though because I cannot afford another CE, if it wasn't for that, I would buy it.

I thought the game play flowed super nice, and that is very important, to me and a big plus, when deciding to purchase or not.
I love the achivements and finding the cards and photo's, along with the lights, having these extra's, adds more FUN to the game IMHO .
For being new developers, I think they did a great job, LOVE when there are lots of things to do, and there is in this one .
There was just something about this game, as soon as I started playing, I knew that I liked it ...if the rest is as good as the demo, than BRAVO .
Its going to be very hard having to wait, for the SE , for those of you who are able to get it, ENJOY !!

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 24, 12 6:33 AM
The story seemed interesting. No pirates, no occult. Sadly, I didn't get too far. Poor voiceover, floaty cursor, fair graphics, flashes of light. No buy for me.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 24, 12 8:26 AM
This had me hooked from the beginning. I do not know how long it takes to make one of these games, but I am guessing this one took far longer than usual - it has such massive scope.

So many movie sets and studios to explore, very interesting indeed. A beautiful mansion with gorgeous graphics that I absolutely adored. Good HOS, only 12 items to find, and really easy to see. Clever and very complicated puzzles, most of which unfortunately for me, were a bit too hard for my level of intelligence, and my patience. But that did not detract from the fun factor at all. Good story, plot and music. Well done SG and a really bumper BC that I just loved. Even with all the puzzles I had to skip, it still took me 6 hours to complete, and that is fair in anyone's book. Good use of actual actors, which is not always the case in these games. And, so important to me, mechanically honed to perfection. So appreciate that.

So, since I cannot fault it, I rate it 10/10. These guys have a bright future ahead of them if they keep up this standard.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 24, 12 10:38 AM
It is a good game with very good graphics and story.

But for the first time I will have to pass on this CE as I have a rule, if a CE doesn't fill my screen I don't even consider it.

So I try, but my wide screen didn't want to work for me and the game.

I will wait for the SE.

Eucritta
Minnow
Minnow
204 Posts

[Post New]by Eucritta on May 24, 12 10:54 AM
(deep breath from this anemone before first post to these forums)

Based on the demo in 'Regular' mode - I'm just now waiting for activation - this game has a strong story and just-right puzzles, entertaining, pretty, and not too difficult. I'm especially pleased by the former; I really want to know how this mystery ends, and after a run of paint-by-numbers deep-and-darkest plots, that's a breath of fresh air. As the demo also only seems to scratch the surface of the story, I also anticipate this will keep me entertained for the day, playing on-and-off as I usually do.

The graphics are a bit grainy, occasionally seem out-of-focus, and there are frequent flashes of light, all aesthetic decisions I think were better reconsidered. I think if this *did* have wide-screen these aspects would be less annoying, as mitigated by the larger screen. I'm also not too thrilled by the constant rainfall and darkness, which I think are over-used in games and by now really just make me wonder about mildew. However, that said, my vision isn't the best and I'm not too bothered.

All told, thumbs-up. It's been some time since we've been offered a good mystery story, and I'm so happy to spend some accumulated credits, it moved me to post!

singin
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by singin on May 24, 12 1:30 PM
This is a good game for me since it does include other objectives to find, interaction in the HOS, live characters, puzzles that can be skipped. No problem seeing anything, no blurry screens, beautiful graphics, all which make it a buy for me.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 24, 12 2:07 PM
A definite buy for me and I think it will be the CE and I am cheap cheap cheap when it comes to those. The graphics are clear on my older monitor and the mini-games are hard enough to keep my interest without skipping them. The music is good for the story line and not too fake exciting as I have found some to be. Lots of places to explore. I skipped around but found that if I went back to the SG for something, it was easy enough to find. I have been a bit disappointed in the games this week, so it is good to see something that holds my interest and makes me want to buy it. Thanks Big Fish.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on May 24, 12 3:38 PM
Really did not think I was going to like this one - even after reading the many glowing reviews...boy was I wrong! I was ready to hit buy after the opening movie!! As with another recent game, the graphics didn't look that amazing in the screen shots - but it was sure another case of "don't let the sceen shots put you off"!! IMO

Luckily I have credits still from the Mom's Day sale - I'd be sad if I couldn't get this one right away - now I'll be sad next week if another amazing CE comes out

My only grump is the acheivements - I love, love them - but hate, hate when you necessarily have to play a game through twice to earn them (i.e. awards for easy & hard mode) to me that seems more unfair than not getting the wallpaper until you've finished Also wondering how hard it will be to get the "No Misclick" award with iHOG scenes - guess that will be one to get the second time though *sigh*.

Happy Gaming!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 24, 12 4:28 PM
This is the first demo in a long time that had me really excited to play. I am in the middle of Nightmare from the Deep right now and almost have to force myself to play it. This on the other hand made me want to buy the CE right now. Unfortunately I have two games to finish first

Great Job!

Go to: