bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 25, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other Fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Dimensions: Wax Beauty

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 25, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 25, 12 1:10 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There are 5 chapters.

There is widescreen monitor support - if it works for you.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There are live actors.

There is a Journal, but no map, unless you count the child's drawing as a map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are somewhat dark (as is most of the game). However, graphics are not bad, and objects are not too hard to find.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes about 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button fills relatively fast.

The HINT, when used, is doing too much of a "loop-de-loop" before it settles to where it wants to show me something, both in the HOS and outside of them.

The background sounds are endless, and I don't even get a break from them in the HOS.

--- --- ---

The graphics could have been better.
There are too many background sounds, and a constant whispering.
On the whole the game looks very dark and gloomy, but not dark and gloomy fun, but dark and gloomy depressing.
My eyes get tired just following the HINT swirly thing each time before it settles on an object.

All in all, I am somewhat disappointed in this game, and not sure whether I even want to get the SE, but will have a think about it.
ETA: I've decided to buy the SE - can't resist a sale.

Happy gaming, everyone.

Edited to add: Don't click on the little "Play" button at the right - that brings you back to BigFish and the first "Dark Dimensions: City of Fog" game. Click the large golden "Play" button on the left.

Edited on 05/25/2012 at 6:35:19 AM PST

Jolly6
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Jolly6 on May 25, 12 7:52 AM
As usual, great review Valdy! I totally agree. It's not bad in any way, but it IS dark and dreary, so fun because games ARE fun, but not the best we've seen lately.
I would have waited on this one till it came up on a DD, but with the sale this weekend, I'm going to buy it.

[Post New]by heyjude304 on May 25, 12 8:03 AM
I love this game. To me the graphics are beautiful and I found the scenes creative. Lots of interaction with the hidden object scenes and were not the dreaded junk pile. Objects were easy to find. I have played over 100 games and this is the first time I felt compelled to review since there were so few here. A definite buy for me,
Happy Gaming!!

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on May 25, 12 9:26 AM
I just finished the demo. Did not use the entire 60 minutes. I too usually do not do reviews but since there are so few I decided to give mine. I played the city of fog so I do plan to buy the SE addition. I hope it takes me longer to complete then the demo and the last game I bought which was Sandman. Happy gaming to all and a great weekend.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 25, 12 11:55 AM
I just finished the game, and it does seem like a longish game, at least to me, and perhaps because this wasn't one of my favourite games, so it might just have seem longer than it was.

Anyway... gameplay is quite good, but having to constantly running forth and back, and no map to use, and the HINT button always first doing a swirly song-and-dance before it shows me where to go next, did tire me out quite a bit.

So I am glad it's over and done with.

Calicohorse
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by Calicohorse on May 25, 12 8:40 PM
Some hard to please folks, for sure. It's difficult to find fault for $5. I'm really enjoying it; it's certainly not easy. I've hit hint more than a few times to know where to go next and I'm not playing expert. Lots of locations, lots to do and great artwork. I rarely play with sound. The back and forth doesn't bother me, it gives me reminders. I only use a jump map option if it's a hike It's been long for me (slowpoke); I'm half finished at almost 3 hours. Well worth the money. With so much to do, there will be high replayability on expert mode. I wouldn't remember it all. Cheers, CA

Edited on 05/25/2012 at 8:41:56 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 26, 12 6:02 AM
this game is a buy, finished demo with a minute left.-----------doug

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on May 26, 12 7:07 AM
This is a good game (IMHO) from Daily Magic Productions although I found the storyline was pretty average & the use of live actors didn’t help. The voiceover dialogue did not match the mouth movements & that distracted me but you can click through if you wish.

You get a diary with lots of story & a few clues; there is no map which is a shame as there is a quite lot of going to & fro, however the world is not too large so it doesn’t become inordinately tiresome. The game tends to mostly finish an area before opening up elsewhere with only occasional visits back.

There are two game modes, casual with a 40 second hint recharge, sparkles & some glints or advanced with a 60 second hint & not a sparkle or glint in sight. The hint is useful outside the hidden object scenes but is rather annoying as it swirls around the screen before pointing where you should go.

The graphics are not as crisp as I would like but the artwork is good & I love some of the little touches put in by the artists; click on the red eyes in the tree & a bat flies out at you. The music does not intrude & the background sounds are quite creepy in places.

The H0 are good with some excellent interactive items that were fun to play, most are easy enough to find. The mini games are pretty easy to start & get more difficult as you progress, some I have not met before; quite a few of the explanations did not really help in giving me a clue as to how to solve so I ended up skipping more than I would like.

This is one of those games that gets better as you play; it is also of a good length, it took me just over 4 hours to finish; the gameplay is fun & this is well worth buying.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on May 27, 12 10:33 PM
If anyone is wondering whether they should purchase this game CE or SE, I just finished the CE version and I did not think the bonus game added much to it. I thought the ending to the SE game wrapped things up just fine, and that you didn't really need the bonus game to feel like you were getting a complete ending. I know that I always wonder if I am missing out on a good bonus game when I buy the SE instead of a CE, which is why I wanted to comment on that. I also did not see the Strategy Guide as being necessary since the hint system was really good. I bought the CE since I did not want to have to wait until the SE came out, but I don't think I would've been missing anything if I had bought the SE instead.

I liked this game a lot. It lasted for a long time, although I played it rather spread out and in small segments, I still would guess it took me at least 6 or 7 hours to play (not including the bonus) and that is good value for a game, especially if you buy it as a SE (I am an intermediate player, slower than some players and faster than others, if you are a faster player this game might take you 4 or 5 hours, but I think that is still pretty good length). I would guess that the bonus took me about an hour to play, but I did not think it was as good as the rest of the game. It was a lot of H0 scenes slapped together as filler (they were more so back to back in the bonus than they were in the real game) a few puzzles (which were all pretty easy) and a little bit of adventure. The puzzles in the real game were much more challenging. I try not to skip puzzles but there were some that I had to because they were frustrating me too much since I couldn't figure them out (I did enjoy the ones that I was able to complete though). There was also a good amount of adventure in the real game, and the H0 scenes were spread out pretty well, and most of them were interactive, which I liked.

I was kind of on the fence about buying the game at first, but I am glad that I decided to buy it. It got better as it moved along. The fact that I loved the first game so much made me think I should give it more of a chance even though the demo hadn't blown me away. I wouldn't recommend buying it as a CE, the extras weren't really worth it for me, but I do think it is more than worth the money as an SE.

Delta77
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by Delta77 on May 28, 12 8:51 PM
roxiestar74 wrote:If anyone is wondering whether they should purchase this game CE or SE, I just finished the CE version and I did not think the bonus game added much to it. I thought the ending to the SE game wrapped things up just fine, and that you didn't really need the bonus game to feel like you were getting a complete ending. I know that I always wonder if I am missing out on a good bonus game when I buy the SE instead of a CE, which is why I wanted to comment on that. I also did not see the Strategy Guide as being necessary since the hint system was really good. I bought the CE since I did not want to have to wait until the SE came out, but I don't think I would've been missing anything if I had bought the SE instead.

Thank you so much roxiestar! That is exactly what I was wondering about also. For me,the main interest in a CE is the bonus game and then possibly the strategy guide (I can use a walkthrough instead of strategy guide with no problems). The other items such as wallpapers and screensavers on a CE, I do not use. So unless the bonus content is really super or the ending on the SE is no good, I prefer to buy SE's.

Edited on 05/28/2012 at 8:52:48 PM PST

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on May 29, 12 12:50 PM
enjoyed the game very much..great graphics and storyline..did not like the ending..

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on May 29, 12 4:52 PM
Excellent review, SeaBamboo! I would concur with all you wrote. I've just finished the demo and based on it and your review, I will buy the game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 29, 12 7:26 PM
As others have mentioned, I hated the spiraling hint trails for no good reason except they're annoying, indirect and completely unnecessary. Another annoyance was the way found items leap up to the top of the screen before descending into the inventory tray.

This is another game where the hero/ine seems to know what to do through some strange psychic knowledge. I played on "casual" so maybe in the more advanced modes it doesn't do that and lets you figure it out for yourself.

I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Bylena
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Bylena on Jun 2, 12 9:15 PM
Long game, well worth the money. Good game play and puzzles, thoroughly enjoyed it up to the ending. Good storyline up until the ending, which was very lame.

Oaktown1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Oaktown1 on Jun 3, 12 5:55 PM
I enjoyed this game for one primary reason - the puzzles were tough. I really don't enjoy these much unless I feel challenged by the puzzle(s). So I'd recommend purchasing this game if you enjoy more difficult, time-consuming mini-games. I was a bit distracted by the dialogue interaction with the characters - I often thought they moved too slowly and came too often. I'd give this game a 6+ on a scale of 1-10. And I'm a hard grader. I enjoyed it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 9, 12 12:49 PM
I was really enjoying this game....really enjoying it until the end...another "gee, I'm tired of designing this game" ending....bam, that was it....typical, everything blows up and thats it...why do they do this? What a good way to screw up a terrific game. How much does it take to tie the end up?????

The HOS were fun to play and interactive. Games were fun, but instructions were not clear and complete so if you couldn't figure it out, you were stuck. I skipped a lot of games because of this.

Hint and skip button refresh really quickly! Which is good and keeps the game moving along. This was definately a game which should have had a map. Had to use the walk-through once toward the end of the game because the hint button was not showing an area that needed to be found...THAT was frustrating.

Voice overs were awful...

I would give this a 5 if the ending had been better and a map was provided. Journal was basically useless too. So I give it a 4 just because it was fun until the end.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jun 27, 12 7:35 PM
Well done! Great graphics, interesting story, long game-play, interactive hidden object scenes, challenging puzzles. I think the only thing I didn't like was that it ended so abruptly, but I can overlook that in the wake of a very good game.

laffinlady
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by laffinlady on Jul 14, 12 1:56 PM
I very much enjoyed this game. The graphics and sound were great. The games were not too hard. Seemed like every HO screen required some kind of interation to get all the objects. It did seem like a long game that ended abruptly.

Go to: