bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

The Bluecoats: North vs South

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on May 29, 12 12:29 AM
In The Bluecoats: North vs South you play as the head of one of the armies of the Civil War. Your aim is to conquer the American territory. Head up the Yankees or Confederates and destroy your enemy! Taking up positions, capturing states, assaulting and capturing enemy forts, attacking trains and protecting your railroads... you'll have to deal with everything! Capture the port to use the reinforcements coming from Europe. Protect yourself from storms and be wary of ambushes and bandits. To come out in one piece, you'll have to master taking turns, armed battles in real time, 1 against 30 shoot-outs, and horseback train chases in this colorful strategy game!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:The Bluecoats: North vs South

[Post New]by jkuci on May 29, 12 1:31 AM

I moved to Florida from a western state so, I am surprised every year by how strongly some folks here in the Deep South still feel about the Civil War.

In northern Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia they have annual re-enactments of battles. Mostly they like to re-enact battles that the South won.

So, anyhoo, I'm pretty sure this game will be very popular!

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 29, 12 2:42 AM
This game looks like an almost 1:1 conversion of the Eighties classic (even the Mexican is still sitting there having his siesta. Warning: He will most likely still bomb you if you are located in Texas.) The only difference seems to be a shop. I played it often on the Amiga 500.

Looks like the graphics are stuck in the Nineties though.

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on May 29, 12 4:50 AM
It's remake of classic hit game and it is still as fun as it was in the old days. It's one of the very few trials I played longer than 15 minutes. There are new elements introduced in this remake (ie. taking over the fort looks different).

I had to buy it

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on May 29, 12 8:46 PM
This may be the worst game BF has ever introduced.

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on May 30, 12 12:48 AM
laeddie wrote:This may be the worst game BF has ever introduced.

I have to agree with you there. I can't see how you can win, really. Those shoot-outs are SO stacked against you! Which is really not fair when the enemy is attacking your fort and you have something like 13 of them against you, a slow-firing gun and bad cover.

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on May 30, 12 1:23 AM
I hate war, and didn't expect to like this, but was curious. I didn't. For one thing, there is something labled a "shop," but it flashes open and closed apparently at random, and so fast I can't even tell what's in there. As far as how to win, at the beginning you can choose whether to make your army (or the enemy's) weak, normal, or strong. Too bad the real participants didn't have that option.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 31, 12 11:11 AM
I bought it.

I enjoy trying to get better at the fort attack/defence and am gradually getting the hang of that and even winning more than I lose in normal v. normal mode.

Btw, for anyone who hasn't tried it themselves.......... please don't assume from an earlier comment here that you are facing 13 enemy positions at once. I read the comment that way before trying the game, but that's not what happens. 13 is the total number of successful shots you need to end the attack. It's 5 or 6 enemy hiding behind obstacles and they are not all aiming at once.

But don't get me wrong either ........... the fort scenes (in normal v. normal mode) are not easy and do take some practice but they are not as bad as 1 v. 13 .

Anyone struggling with those battles could try making their strength 'normal' and the computer opponent 'weak' for their first game. That way you only need to successfully shoot a total of 10 enemies and only get one of them aiming at you at a time. Still get the 5 or so enemy positions but only one trying to shoot you at any time. That's instead of, in normal v. normal mode, needing to shoot 13 of them in total and sometimes having 2 aiming at almost around the same time.

Also you can buy extra lives in the shop to help with those scenes. Buy a life once and you have it for the duration of that game.

Sandhan - when the shop is flashing open and closed like that - it is the enemy having their turn.

When it's your turn you click on the arrow labelled shop and get to it that way. But you won't have enough gold until after the train has visited you once, so maybe the arrow only appears then? (I don't remember that detail).

Edited on 05/31/2012 at 11:16:23 AM PST

Go to: