bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 31, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other Fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 31, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 31, 12 12:57 AM
Based on the demo (and beta test):

This game is a candidate for the best game game of the year----no question.

Opening in a beautiful widescreen presentation (there is a choice in the options menu for aspect correction), the beauty of the art work, the excellence of the graphics, the ease of game control, and the unique and interesting story all serve to grab the player with an immediacy unlike any I've played in a long, long time. Yes, it's a familiar theme, but that's what's popular right now, and I personally can't get enough of the spooky stuff----especially done this well with the different twists this game offers.

I shouldn't reveal a thing about the story itself----just know that it is very engaging. A madman, a near-deserted and spooky island----all done in a way that sets itself apart from the hum-drum of the usual CEs we get so often by other devs that grind out the same old styles, the all too similar artwork, and, yes, the same old black bars. This game has set a new benchmark that the old devs need to pay very careful attention to before they are left completely behind.

In addition to the gorgeous HOS, there are live action cut scenes, the puzzles are very well done, the voiceovers are good, the music is appropriate and unobtrusive, the hint button works outside the HOS and fills quickly (even if you want to skip a puzzle), there is a "hard" mode, and all the usual bonus features are included. I didn't look at the SG except briefly, because the game flows so smoothly I didn't need it.

In summary, for the special price (or the regular CE price, for that matter) you can't beat this gem. Some really great games have been coming our way lately, and I put this one at the top of the list! (Thanks to these devs for the aspect correction. )

Edited on 05/31/2012 at 1:11:23 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 31, 12 1:23 AM
Good morning, cbtx, and other fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 5 chapters plus the Bonus chapter.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is... Stretchscreen !!

There is a choice of custom and system cursor (system cursor is a smaller type of a custom cursor).

There is voice-over.

There are live people and some real images.

The DIARY is at the left.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) is at the right, and only takes 20 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes about 30 seconds to fill in easy mode.

The SG (strategy guide) is just below the HINT button. The SG stays open where you last left it open.

There is also a star-like image at the right. When you click on it, it will open up and show you how many of the scrolls you need to find you have already collected.

The graphics in the iHOS are good enough to find objects easily.

--- --- ---

I was a tad disappointed with the graphics on the whole. They are a little on the rough side.

I liked the fact that even in Easy mode I wasn't bombarded with sparklies.

Gameplay didn't overly excite me - it was typical of today's HOGs (hidden object games), and so far I didn't see anything new.

For those gamers who are a little sensitive when it comes to all things occult: There is some mention of occult. How much and how deep it goes, I can't say after playing for just an hour.

I bought the CE, because I can get it for $9.99 (only today: SPECIAL).

ETA: Forgot to mention that when you see fishies lying there on dry land, struggling to get air, you can click on each one of them, and thus put them back into the water.

--- --- ---

More ETA: After having played for a while, I have to say that I quite like this game. There aren't too many HOS, just the right amount for me, and the puzzles are rather fun and not too difficult either - just the way I like them.

Graphics seem to change from really great to somewhat rough, depending which scene you are in, and seem to be the roughest in most of the HOS.

All in all, I am glad (so far) I bought the CE. And so far I haven't really come across any occult things as such. It's more like a mentioning of it, than the real thing - so far anyway.

Edited on 05/31/2012 at 7:01:35 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on May 31, 12 1:31 AM
No need to repeat what both cbtx and valdy have said - great reviews

I would however point out that for those that have phobias, there are spiders and cockroaches although haven't come across any snakes.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on May 31, 12 2:45 AM
I beta-tested this game a week ago, and I certanly don't need to demo today to say that it's an awsome game! Excellent graphics, smooth navigation, engaging storytale, truly good hints system, cleaver minigames and fascinating sci-fi enviroment! Thanks for this "pearl" of game!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on May 31, 12 3:57 AM
I agree with just about anyone that says this is a great game I don't pay for CE's but this will be an exception to my no no rule I have bought a few but not many hope this doesn't disappoint, the others didn't............................I'M OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD ABOUT GETTING THIS GAME.......................OK OK MY OPINION ONLY judge for yourself fishies

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 31, 12 5:53 AM
This game opens like a movie, impressive graphics.

For some reason like many other games it gave me Dejavu, It kind of remind me of another game.

The HOscenes are interactive and easy to see.

The puzzles I encountered during the Demo were familiar and with a difficulty level that it was easy for me to manage.

The story is your typical mystery, missing person evil entities agenda.

I will keep this one on my to buy list for the next big sale "perhaps" on 4 of July? (I hope)

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 31, 12 6:04 AM
Based on only the demo-(downloading the full game now) this is looking like a well organized and produced game. The graphics are very nicely done and there is a smooth movement between actual live scenes and the drawing of the same where the game starts. This happens often..and it is very professionally done.
Music is good, thoughtful ..good background.
Gameplay so far is interesting..the usual keys to find, etc, but one place I found confusing was a person is thrown off the cliff but I can't go there to look over the water like you would naturally. That kind of flow isn't here, so far. Again, I'm just in the demo.
I listened for crashing of waves, foghorns and the like and they weren't there..must be a quiet piece of ocean...I live on the ocean and there is always something a-doing out there.
This is a good buy not just because the price, but the game seems to offer depth and interest...I want to learn more. So, it's a good demo to get you to buy.
kris

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on May 31, 12 6:19 AM
good game but not very logical actions,many,many there and back,the game 'ld have be the best of the month if the devs had think about active map!(where you can jump from place to place)
puzzles are very very easy!
funny to play ,but music repetitive and sometimes not very adapted
story a little predictable,but i think it is becoming hard to find something new in this kind of creepy-diabolic HO games!
i have done the whole game and keep the bonus level for tomorrow,because ,for thr first time i have enough
4 stars on 5 for me

tquinlivan
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by tquinlivan on May 31, 12 7:12 AM
Good game overall, but the bonus chapter is very short, quite possibly the shortest I have ever played. Not really worth the CE price except you need the strategy guide in some places.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 31, 12 7:58 AM
First off I am bummed that I can't take advantage of the sale price since payday is tomorrow. Beautiful graphics, music repeats but didn't annoy and a story line that is a bit different than we have been seeing. I usually dislike live actors, but these were not over the top cheesy so I was surprised...pleasantly. There is lots of too and fro and one can get lost, but the hints recharged quickly and the SG was very helpful. The SG would prefer you don't skip around and so you have to play the game in a linear fashion but that's okay. As picky as I am about CE's I will buy this one. Good job Big Fish!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 31, 12 10:26 AM

Enjoyed the cutscenes, nicely done... the rest is dark, both in visuals and theme (occult based) and I'm not buying, bleck.

[Post New]by granmanana on May 31, 12 11:12 AM
From the first moments of this game, I had goosebumps all over. This is one of the BEST hidden object games EVER.And I have played almost all of them. I want to play it very slowly so it will last longer. I give it 5 stars across the board.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 31, 12 11:14 AM
As usual, Valdy and CBTX have pretty much said it all. I also found the graphics a bit fuzzy, but not so bad that I wouldn't purchase because of it. HOGs were fun, but a bit pale in color, not difficult. Nice SG and hint system (didn't care for the blood splatter when using the hint).

I prefer seeing the number of chapters up front on any game, which gives me an idea of approximately how long it is. So tired (no pun intended) of the sleepy eye in all these games.

This game didn't grab me, but I found it interesting enough to want to finish. Not sure if I'm going to use the special today, or hold it in the puddle for a really nice special. I will purchase at some point. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 31, 12 11:57 AM
It was an ok game, nothing that really got me wanting to buy the CE. I might buy the SE when it is available. Graphics were ok and hints loaded fast. Story was not my liking so maybe that is why it didn't get me to want to buy it. So as of today won't be buying.

[Post New]by purpleporpoise on May 31, 12 12:31 PM
I downloaded and tried this game as soon as it was available after midnight last night. But after playing for about a half-hour, I didn't particularly like or dislike it and wondered if it was just me. So I decided to wait and see what everyone else thought about it. I even uninstalled it because I wasn't particularly that impressed, however, I have a terrible habit of not sticking with some games all the way to the end. I went around and around it circles on that one trail that kept bringing me back to the beach and I still haven't figured out how to get through that gate at the top of the stairway. I was trying not to refer to the strategy guide. I did like the HOS a lot, though, and that live action sequence at the beginning. Beautiful graphics. Music is repetitious, but I turn it down after awhile anyway, so not a deal-breaker. I'm grateful to read the other reviews here today. 5 chapters, plus the bonus, is long enough to make it worth the special price today. As a result, I've purchased it and am going to give it another try. Thanks, Fishies, and BFG!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 31, 12 12:50 PM
daisyduck352 wrote:It was an ok game, nothing that really got me wanting to buy the CE. I might buy the SE when it is available. Graphics were ok and hints loaded fast. Story was not my liking so maybe that is why it didn't get me to want to buy it. So as of today won't be buying.

Me too

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on May 31, 12 1:09 PM
Me three daisy et al. I would even go so far as to say that the voiceovers (this actor in particular) drove me up a wall. I didn't care about 3 minutes in whether people saved the day or evil won out. 9 minutes (about 6 of that actually playing), and I deleted it. No buy for me at any price.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on May 31, 12 3:37 PM
This is yet another game that locks the Extras until after the Bonus Chapter has been played ... what use is wallpaper when the game is complete . It is a complete waste of time on behalf of the devs adding it and money on behalf of the players because those that use wallpaper want it on their screen while they are playing that particular game only.

Due to recent offerings I was left with needing 4 punches today and so I bought this game and I have managed to finish it but I did cheat and use both the skip button and the SG in a bid to complete it quicker because it didn't completely hold my interest.

The graphics were clear enough although there was the old small item in the hidden object scenes. The music was fine playing very quietly in the background but in the end I turned my speakers off completely due to one very annoying sound effect which I think was triggered by using the X to come out of a close up or the SG etc and to my ears it sounded contemptuous.

Overall I think this was an OK game but not an exceptional one.

Cherb

Go to: