popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Rhiannon group play, starting 2nd June, all welcome to join!

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 1, 12 11:08 PM
Welcome everyone to the group play of Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches. As with every group play, we are here to play and chat about the the game. We can share our successes and rant about our frustrations and everyone is welcome!

Large File games are great fun but can be difficult and at times very frustrating. At these times when playing alone it can be so very easy to just close the game, never to return to it, thinking perhaps these games aren't for you or are boring as you never get anywhere.

This is where group play comes in! In a group play we all play our own game at our own pace and chat about the game. This is often in the form of an update on how you are progressing, venting your frustrations as you are stuck, asking for some help with something you are stuck with, offering hints to those who have requested it and just generally talking about your likes/dislikes of the game.

The first thing most people ask when they are joining a group play is "what are the rules". Well we only have 2 'rules' here. These are:

1. This is not a race!
Everyone plays at their own pace. You may find yourself behind the other players or perhaps in front of the other players. You may find that some days you can't play much or any of your game. This is all completely fine! There is no need to feel rushed or that you should slow down. We are here only to play and enjoy the game!

2. Any and all spoilers need to be whited out
We all play at our own pace and a lot of players like to work things out themselves or at least try to before asking for help. So as not to spoil the game experience for anyone we respectfully request that ALL spoilers are whited out. This gives everyone the choice of whether to read the comments or not. If in doubt white it out!

Do not be afraid to ask, there is no such this as a silly question here!

Everyone is welcome!
Whether you are new to LF games or a seasoned gamer, never played this game before or played it a dozen times it doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome to play along with us, the more the merrier!

We put up a list of players so that we can see who our play pals are and how they are progressing (whether playing or finished) so when you start playing please pop in and say hi. I will then add you to the players list.

We love helpers in group plays!
If you have played the game before and would like to help out with hints or tips when they are requested, then please let us know when you pop in and I will add you to a helpers list. Being listed as a helper does not mean that you have to be around all the time or be able to answer all questions that are asked. As said earlier, we help each other out. However it is very handy and much appreciated having helpers as the rest of us find our feet in the game and we can then help out those behind us. You are of course welcome to be both a helper and a player. In all our prior group plays Mr_Russ has been a helper for which the group is very grateful and in many he has also played along too.

This game seems to have quite a good tutorial at the beginning of the game, so I won't go into any details regarding navigation etc! Hope everyone has fun!

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Re:Rhiannon group play, starting 2nd June, all welcome to join!

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 1, 12 11:09 PM
Players list
Aquatic - Finished
Mr_Russ - Finished
jboliver1999 - Finished
Catfish_girl - Finished
mariannequilts - Finished
abiloo - Finished
sunshinej - Finished
popla27 - Playing
Joyfullady - Finished
Granny_Fish - Playing
Freka - Playing
alvertis5706 - Playing
Grandmamum - Finished
birdie5 - Finished
piggies3 - Playing
March_Hare - Finished
Dialogue - Finished
Seascape6 - Playing
TideWaters - Finished
gingergal - Finished
Tailteann - Finished

Helpers list
kazkaz1957 - Assisting

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 5:10:17 PM PST

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Aquatic on Jun 2, 12 1:09 AM
Good morning! Aquatic starting.

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Jun 2, 12 1:34 AM
Hi everyone

Many thanks to popla27 for starting this group play. I'm one of the three developers of Rhiannon based in Wales, UK and I just thought I'd say hello and let you know that I will be around if anyone has any questions about the backstory, setting, or the making of the game - or anything else you wish to know about Rhiannon as you play. If it's ok with popla27, I'll also try and help out as one of the helpers if anyone is stuck. I hope my being here won't put anyone off making comments about things you don't like about the game as everything is taken on board for future games by Arberth Studios so constructive criticism is always very welcome.

Have fun and good luck!

Best wishes
Karen
Arberth Studios

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 2, 12 1:59 AM
Hello, Karen! Popla can put you down as assisting.
The only request is that you white out any spoilers and there should be a note on how to do that.

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 2:01:23 AM PST

jboliver1999
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jboliver1999 on Jun 2, 12 2:10 AM
I'll be playing as soon as I upgrade my motherboard and processor. Hopefully it will be sometime today.

Karen it's so great having you here to help.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 2, 12 3:02 AM
Hi Karen,

Popla and I have been organizing group plays for quite some time now and they are always great fun. We have been joined by a lot of wonderful people and we all help each other out. Group plays are a wonderful means to experience adventure games and share the pleasures and frustrations that come with these kind of games.

We are so glad to have you pop in here and we very much like to hear more about the backstory of the game and we'd love your help!

As said, I am not yet starting myself, have to be off now. Join you all later and have fun!

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 3:19:29 AM PST

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Aquatic on Jun 2, 12 3:23 AM
Hello Karen! Having you here is a real treat for us adventure game lovers.

Just wondering how to pronounce Ty Pryderi, Maybe someone could spell it out phonetically for this Seattle fishie.

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Aquatic on Jun 2, 12 4:14 AM
Hope you all have new notebooks.
This game has tons of exploring and load of interesting items to keep track of.
Hurray for the interactive map!
Lot's of creepy sounds and sights have made me jump,but I have started a fire so whatever happens, I have hot water to do dishes, or take a bath!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 2, 12 4:15 AM
Marianne here and playing. Yes, if it wasn't for CfG and popla, we wouldn't be enjoying these wonderful Group Plays. And Mr_Russ assists and plays along with us and is always there with tips and help with clues when we are stuck. They have all devoted a lot of time and effort to these Group Plays and make it possible for Fishies like me to be able to play these great games. It's a lot of fun and very much appreciated.

Welcome Karen. It's very nice of you to join us.

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 4:16:57 AM PST

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on Jun 2, 12 4:25 AM
Hiiiiiiiiiii!

I'm in!

XxXxXxXxXx

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jun 2, 12 4:35 AM
Please add me to the player's list.

Hello Karen, How nice of you to help out with our questions.

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Jun 2, 12 4:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Good question Aquatic! There are a few Welsh words to get your tongues around in Rhiannon. I'm not sure of the correct way to spell something phonetically but I hope the following will help:
Ty Pryderi (house of Pryderi) is pronounced Tea (as in the beverage), Prid (rhyming with grid) Eri (rhyming with merry). Pryderi is one of the characters from the Welsh legends of the Mabinogion. Mabinogion is pronounced Mab (with a short 'a' as in fab) in-oh-gi-on.
You'll also come across another character called Llwyd which is pronounced hloo-ed. Welsh is very tricky to speak - especially those double 'l's!

We have a long weekend vacation this weekend due to the Queen's diamond jubilee on Tuesday but I'll pop in as often as I can to see how you're all getting on.

Good luck!

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 2, 12 5:16 AM
Hi everyone just checking in! Players list is now updated

Hi Karen, welcome to our group play it's great to have you with us. We love to have helpers in these group plays, we all try to work the problems out on our own first but there are always plenty of questions asked and help requested. I have listed you as a helper, thank you.

As adventure gamers we love the story of these games as much as the game play itself, so I am sure there will be lots of interest in backstory and such like as we move on in the game.

I had a very quick look around just after I opened this group play and I am sooooo pleased there is a map so I can find my way around! So thank you for that, I'm sure I will be wandering around for some time, but at least I shouldn't lost!

Well I have a few things to do first and then hoping to get immersed in the game, see you all in there.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 2, 12 6:30 AM
Some notes on the game mechanics:

This is somewhat old-school point-and-click. It's 1st person pre-rendered and movement is "on rails". Think of it as a network map with nodes and lines. At a node you can look in all directions but you can only move in a set number of directions.

The inventory plays as Black Mirror 1: you can only take something when you know you need it.

At least one item never goes into inventory. You pick it up and use it at the scene while in-hand.

Edited on 06/07/2012 at 11:19:31 AM PST

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jun 2, 12 6:47 AM
Thanks Popla; CFG, Mr Russ. and AOEIM for getting us rolling! Hello Karen - so glad to have you.

Count me in - I decided to take a break from cooking and cleaning for our bar-b-cue to play a bit! Had a fine time already distinguishing the front door! LOL!

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 2, 12 7:28 AM
I'm with you Joyfullady.....LOL..... I had a problem finding the front door and then more trouble getting *** to the plant pot for the key ***.

I'm having trouble with the navigation. So Mr_Russ, I appreciate your 'nodes and lines' and 'rails' description. It helps to think of it that way....I can picture it.

Right now I've visited the *** living room, dining room, pantry and am in the kitchen. ***

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 2, 12 7:37 AM
I forgot to say that I was thoroughly enchanted *** with The Ash Grove music *** and listened for quite some time. I've heard it before and cannot recall when.

Granny_Fish
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by Granny_Fish on Jun 2, 12 8:52 AM
I have the game installed, but haven't had time to do much more than take a quick look at it. Am very busy in Madagascar and trying to make some progress there. Needing to rely on screenshots has really slowed me down. Thanks to popla I have made progress in Sanatarium, but put it on hold for now. Trying to play three games at once would be a bit much!!

Welcome kazkaz1957. I am delighted to see a developer participating in our group play. I have comments about games in general that I would like to share with you - NOT criticisms. Disability awareness pointers. This forum isn't the place for such discussion. I could PM you or you could PM me and give me an Email address to use.

Now going back to do the tutorial and try to get to the house. See you all later or tomorrow.

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Jun 2, 12 9:18 AM
Hello, everybody. This is my first time in group play. I've owned Rhiannin for a bit, but never returned to it after I demoed it.

Welcome to the pond, Karen.

Go to: