burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

The timer is not as bad as you might think...

[Post New]by burf90 on Jun 3, 12 1:53 PM
I know people hate timed games - I'm usually one of them. However, I played this game for the whole trial and got gold on every level with no issue with the timer.

Firstly, you are only timed in each location for the first 10 or 20 objects (there are 30 to find in each), after that you can take all day to find the other 10 or 20 - there is no timer active. It seems I was timed on the first 10 for each location in both the past and present. The final 10 are not timed at all. Sometimes, the final 20, if you have to find them all at once.

Secondly, the timer gave you quite a bit of time, though I'm not sure at what point you lose "gold" status and drop to silver. I never had to take that much time.

Lastly, when you pause the game, you can still see the list of items and most of the screen. I've used this for years to get past timers in HOGs. Just pause, look at the list, find some items, then resume the game and click on the ones you found. Repeat until you find them all. A few might be behind the pause window, but once you knock off the others, you'll have plenty of time to find those few.

As far as skipping the tutorial, you probably don't want to the first time you play, as it explains how to get to the past, use the map, advance levels, etc. Because of the present/past thing, you would be lost if you didn't read the tutorial at least once. After that, you can go to Options and turn off the tutorial.

This isn't the greatest game I've ever played, but certainly not the worst. If you like straight up HOGs, you'll probably like it. I don't use hints when I play "for real" after I buy, but I usually test them in the trial. The hint system is good and you can choose hard or casual mode. In casual, there is no click penalty and the hints recharge quickly.

The only real drawback I had in gameplay is that you have to be very accurate where you click on an item or it won't "take" and some of them are pretty small. Also, there may be several items that match the object list, but only certain items are "correct", so I did get the click penalty a few times.

I don't think I'll buy now, but I might as a DD.

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

Re:The timer is not as bad as you might think...

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Jun 3, 12 4:52 PM
Hi burf90,

Thanks for the feedback on the game! It's great to hear this perspective and I'll definitely pass that along.

If you'd like to share these thoughts, I would definitely repost this in our Reviews thread for the game here:

Time Chronicles: The Missing Mona Lisa Forum (If you click the blue text it will take you right to this thread).

Or on the game page directly:

TTime Chronicles: The Missing Mona Lisa Game Page

This way we can compile all the reviews in one place and send them to the developers so they have it for reference for future games. In addition to that, new Fishies look to these areas when trying to decide to buy the game.

In the meantime, to keep new threads open for specific game play questions, I'm locking this one now, but as mentioned, I would definitely repost this in one of the areas above.

Thank you for the feedback burf90!

Happy gaming!

bfgCimarron

Go to: