bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Coronation Street: Mystery of the Missing Hotpot Recipe

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 4, 12 12:29 AM
Join in the fun with your favorite characters in this entertaining hidden-object game, Coronation Street: Mystery of the Missing Hotpot Recipe! In a bid to protect her famous hotpot recipe from a rival pub, The Weatherfield Arms, Betty decides to tear it up and destroy it for good! Just as she is about to throw the recipe away, a gust of wind takes hold and all pieces are blown across the street. Can you help Betty and friends track down the missing pieces before they fall into the wrong hands?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Coronation Street: Mystery of the Missing Hotpot Recipe

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 4, 12 12:41 AM
Just when you thought it was safe again to come back to a nice new TGT, having swam past several terrible games over the last few days, BAM !! You are still out of luck.

*doom doom doom... another one bites the dust*

I felt physically ill when I started this game and saw what was on offer:

Lots of brick surrounds with a square in the middle for the playing field.
Lots of junkpile hidden object scenes (all real images).
Lots of "talk" - not able to skip.
A basic HOG with no, but NO frills whatsoever.

Betty Driver (as Betty) died last year. Perhaps that's why they made this cheap game? In her honour?

One thing is for sure: Only die-hard "Coronation Street" lovers who love to collect anything to do with this Brit TV series will like this game.

Moreover, the characters in this game will only be interesting to those peeps who know "Coronation Street".

Anyway, that's my comment for the day. I feel too sad and wretched to write a proper review, not that there is much to tell. LOL

Edited for spelling

Edited on 06/04/2012 at 1:37:25 AM PST

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Jun 4, 12 12:50 AM
Thanks Valdy.
Not even downloading...............sorry.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 4, 12 12:54 AM
Valdy, you took the words right out of my mouth. I cannot stand Soaps so do not watch them, but even if I absolutely adored Coronation Street, I would not like this. It is only marginally better than yesterday's atrocious game, in that it has photographs instead of drawings, if that can be considered a plus. But that's as far as it goes. Die hard HOG lovers will be thrilled, especially if they are fans of the Soap. The rest of us would need matchsticks to keep our eyes open.

They could have done so much better with this. No effort involved at all.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 4, 12 12:54 AM
I played for 10 minutes and delete the game. Just like Valdy I was hoping for a good game today. But again nothing! X

It's raining today, so I could have a nice game.

Goodmorning fishies!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 4, 12 12:56 AM
This is when I am happy to have a stockpile of over 50 games I either never finished or never played since first hour demo during sales and DDs. Helps to have a bunch of long M3s too to fill the lag time between really great games. Time is getting longer and longer waiting so I just may catch up.

I never even heard of Coronation street or these characters, had a feeling TV series or former TM games, not familiar with them either.

After wasting an hour last night on the Mona Lisa mess and more posting about it, I'm not even taking a peek. Going now to start one of my CEs never played.

Anything good about this, please post feedback, maybe I'm missing out on something and need a tap on the shoulder or a secret

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 4, 12 12:58 AM
Good morning Valdy, nwr1948x, Sheerija, dobbie, puzzledone, and all in the pond,

No disrespect to the Brit TV show that I'm not familiar with at all, but this game, like last night's, is a real clunker. After staying with last night's for some 45 minutes, I quit and uninstalled this one in about 10 minutes, and games have to be really, really bad for me to do that.

Valdy just gave it all the description it needs or deserves.

I'll be glad when gets the attic (or wherever) cleaned out. Oh well, there's always tomorrow----maybe Mudrock will have a couple of good ones to tell us about!!

Edited on 06/04/2012 at 1:02:56 AM PST

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jun 4, 12 1:04 AM
Hi Valdy - there was a skip button for the "Talk" but for some reason I never clicked on it. Didn't want to miss any of the interesting conversation. Unless you tried it and it didn't work?

The only difference between yesterday's game and today's is that today's is not timed. The highlight of my demo was the pipe puzzle LOL.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 4, 12 1:06 AM
I lasted 29 minutes, and that was too long I know I am a hog addict, but I will not even stoop to games as bad as this. I know there is still a market for decent hogs, so where are all these lousy ones coming from? BF ought to know their own market by now, don't you think, so why are they scraping the bottom of the barrel to bring out awful games like this one, and yesterday's? Surely they know we aren't going to bite and buy? I don't even mind a fairly straight hog now and then, but these are simply awful. I hate to put a game down so totally, but I can't even feel sorry for whoever developed these two and thought they did something good. I would suggest if they want a future in this business that they do their research and figure out which hogs sell and which ones don't even make it to the starting gate.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 4, 12 1:12 AM
I do love British comedy series on PBS, more than our US fare. But this probably would not get any more interest from me in a TV guide blurb than did the video and promo shots.

Hey now, I could use some Fawlty Towers games if someone would make some. As for Mona Lisa, finding the culprit who stole the Mona Medusa in Steve the Sheriff2 Case of the Missing Thing is much more fun. Made me want to do a replay of that, good for some laughs.

Wish I had BBC America, I'd be more tuned in.

for tomorrow, chin up.

And now back to the archive Classics.....

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 4, 12 1:26 AM
can you think what i thought about this one?for french ,this tv show is not known!so i scratch my head wandering who can have done such idea of game????but certainly not wondering about it!!!lol!
it is a bad time for us,fishes!
i think i'll give a try on other dev sites!!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 4, 12 1:40 AM
JulieJay wrote:Hi Valdy - there was a skip button for the "Talk" but for some reason I never clicked on it. Didn't want to miss any of the interesting conversation. Unless you tried it and it didn't work?

Ah... I didn't see that one. I was looking for somewhere to skip the "talk" but couldn't find anywhere. Oh well... that's a horse of a different colour then. Off to buy... (not).

The only difference between yesterday's game and today's is that today's is not timed. The highlight of my demo was the pipe puzzle LOL.

Oh yes, that pipe puzzle (quite easy once you know to click on the "START" button at the left once you have set the pipes) was the highlight of my demo as well. LOL

Oh, and happy Monday, everyone!

Edited on 06/04/2012 at 1:41:00 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jun 4, 12 3:08 AM
Good Monday Valdy and everyone!

What in Heaven's name is going on at BFG HQ? A Sunday flop, a Monday flop? I don't know which one is "floppier"! I gave my opinion on yesterday's attempt at gaming--now I just have few words about today's attempt.

I'm not too sure that a PC game based on a TV soapie is a good idea. To me, that means that the developers couldn't think of some innovative storyline, so they just "froze" photos of the Coronation Street cast and plopped them down in horrendous junkpile H0 scenes. I'd be really embarrassed to be a cast member shown in this light. This reminds me of a post from yesterday--I'll paraphrase--"The Mystery of Aunt Martha's Missing Potholder."

I made it through two H0 scenes and the pipe puzzle (about 30 seconds to solve), and that was enough. I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow will bring (if this keeps up, it surely won't bring any of my $!).

Regards, elldee

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jun 4, 12 3:39 AM
Coronation Street is Britain's longest running soap opera having been on our TV screens since 1960 (or thereabouts) and as far as I'm aware there haven't been any other attempts at turning it into a game (other than board game). As they have given the game a sub-title "Mystery of....", I really hope this is not the first of many to come - unless they start from scratch and think of something totally different.

And by the way, what's mysterious about the missing hotpot recipe? We know Betty tore it up and the wind took it.

@ Valdy - LOL - took me about 45 secs to complete the pipe puzzle and another 30 to figure out I had to press that START button.

elldee2728 wrote:A Sunday flop, a Monday flop? I don't know which one is "floppier"!

That's funny.

Edited on 06/04/2012 at 3:43:37 AM PST

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Jun 4, 12 3:44 AM
I tried to play it but I thought the screen was too small. I was more frustrated than interested. I uninstalled it after 25 minutes.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Jun 4, 12 4:27 AM
@ Valdy & edmee
Your posts made me laugh. Thanks!
It's nice to get a giggle despite I agree it's a sad game; Canadians love Coronation Street.
Maybe the title will draw some newcomers to HOGs who are followers of the TV show?
Myself, it's ok if a release doesn't suit me (as this one doesn't) because like puzzledone says: it gives a chance to finish up previoulsy bought games--so many for me.
Happy Monday all.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 4, 12 5:17 AM
Puzzledone, I have always loved Brit coms too, so even though I had never watched this one, I had heard of it, so that made it even worse.

But on the upside, I went back and found a game that I hadn't gotten very far along in before I set it aside...Snarkbuster's 2 All Revved Up, and decided to give it a second chance. I remember not being too impressed because not only was it a frog, but all of the game play seemed to take place in and around a garage. I must have had another, better game to play at the time. Anyway, I just finished playing it and I am so glad I did. It did get much better and I really enjoyed it. Of course, I had bought it when it came out last fall, so BF didn't make any money off of me this weekend.

I sure hope we get something good soon...will be a long week if we have to wait until Thursday...though looking at past posts on sneek peek, there should be a bunch of good ones. But guess we will have to wait and see.

eta: Two floppies in a row, and two SEs in a row, so those of us who do buy the CEs really have had it bad.

Edited on 06/04/2012 at 8:53:25 AM PST

lanzakaren
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by lanzakaren on Jun 4, 12 5:38 AM
biggest load of garbage ever.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Jun 4, 12 6:18 AM
We seem to be on a race to the bottom - hopefully we'll soon hit the ground

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 4, 12 8:56 AM
I keep trying to hit the 'like' button...there isn't one .

Go to: