bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Build-a-lot: Fairy Tales

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 6, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Build-a-lot: Fairy Tales? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other Fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Build-a-lot: Fairy Tales page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Build-a-lot: Fairy Tales

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 6, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jun 6, 12 1:11 AM
Hello, this is my review so far based on 40 mins game play.

So we have another Build - a - lot- game in the collection.

Although I enjoy the series and own them all, even I was very bored with them.

And then they bring out this little gem and I am blown away.

It is set in the land of fairy tales. Instead of odd looking mayors we have cartoon characters. I have encountered a Wolf and a toy soldier so far, and pigs as inhabitants.

Your workers are cute little fairies and your townships so far have been set in whimsical woodlands etc.

From what I have played, the game play is still the same (don't fix what ain't broke) but it is full of charm with out the feeling of tedium and work work work, like i felt in the recent games.

Yes the game play is still a little slow rather than frenzied click click click but because of the setting it felt laid back and chilled rather than boring.

This is a game i will enjoy very much many times over.

Thank you.

There are 65 levels in all and a basic tutorial and you collect ribbons Blue / green (gold and silver) if you finish on time. I don't know what happens if the timer ran out but I thought the alloted times to be extremely generous

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 6, 12 1:19 AM
NO timed game for me!whatever they look like!

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Jun 6, 12 3:15 AM
Me too, but I'm considering this one because it claims there's a casual mode that can be unlocked after you suffer through the first section timed. Waiting for more input from other fishies. I didn't play the others in the series, but this one looks like fun.

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Jun 6, 12 4:58 AM
Very cute..almost too cute! It's atypical Build a Lot game however this one is more cartoonish in the graphics. I don't see the guys playing it ! I'm glad for the untimed mode as well because these games always take me forever to get through a level!

bookwriter
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bookwriter on Jun 6, 12 5:06 AM
Yes, this is a typical Build-a-lot game, but why I will make it a buy for me today is not only how cute it is but I want to support "fun" games.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jun 6, 12 5:50 AM
bookwriter wrote:Yes, this is a typical Build-a-lot game, but why I will make it a buy for me today is not only how cute it is but I want to support "fun" games.

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Jun 6, 12 5:59 AM
I love this series and have all the games. I especially love their creativity in choosing themes for their games. Getting ready to trial this one but I'm guessing it's a buy for me.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jun 6, 12 7:53 AM
Charming, fun game. It grows on you. I almost passed this one up because I usually do not like anything timed. But it's a rainy day, so I did the trial and my hour was up before I knew it. I am now off to buy the game.

You progress into more involved and harder screens. Each screen lists several goals you need to complete in a certain time period. You have to clear lots, build various types of structures, upgrade them, paint them, collect rent. Sounds too easy? It's not. Just when you think you are making progress a dragon comes along and sets fire to one of your structures and you have to demolish the flames. Of course, you use your resources to do this, pushing you back from reaching your goal.

If you have stayed away from this type of game in the past, give this one a try. You may find that you will be pleasantly surprised.

FairyonPegasus
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,501 Posts

[Post New]by FairyonPegasus on Jun 6, 12 11:32 AM
Never turn down a build a lot game, and an adorable one to boot. No way can I pass it up. I play these games over and over and over. Purchasing.

Edit to Add: Does anyone know why BFG's still hasn't gotten Build A Lot Monopoly? I purchased it from the main site and lost it and my receipt because it wasn't on my back up when my PC crashed last year. It was my favorite although now I think this game will give it a run for fav's.

Edited on 06/06/2012 at 11:38:46 AM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jun 6, 12 11:37 AM
I love all the Build-a-lot games. The timed mode doesn't bother me for this particular type of game. It's really an integral part of it. For the most part I can easily get through with a blue ribbon. I love the graphics and I like that it's a game of strategy and that you can replay a level until you get the lowest time. I think I like this one better than the others. Oh, except for the dragon, I guess he's a necessary evil!! This is a buy for me.

CallmeCoors
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,933 Posts

[Post New]by CallmeCoors on Jun 6, 12 1:54 PM
I am really loving this game. The trial ran out way too soon, so of course I had to buy it! The level of difficulty starts out easy, but gets increasingly harder as you progress is the game. You need to carefully plan out your strategy in order to achieve the Blue ribbon on the later levels, but overall it is a really fun game. The Fairy Tale characters are a nice change from the norm and add some variety to the game. I recommend this game for players who like building games, as well as those who like Strategy and Time Management.

Sylviald
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Sylviald on Jun 6, 12 4:24 PM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 2:10:51 AM PST

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Jun 6, 12 11:38 PM
Enjoyed the demo - went too fast, which says a lot!
Definitely considering picking this one up.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jun 7, 12 3:21 AM
I like this and bought as soon as the demo was over so I could carry on playing.

I'm a build-a-lot fan anyway (they were the second ever casual game series that I got hooked on) but I like this one much better than Elizabethan Era and B-A-L4 (which were my least favourite of them all).

The fairy theme doesn't seem to change the basic gameplay (so far anyway - having completed the demo) but it does give a nice change in graphics/theme and I have always liked the B-A-L gameplay anyway so I'm in no rush to see it change much.

Bought as soon as finished the demo
----------------
ETA ... for those wondering how this kind of original style builder game compares to the newly popular type.......

There's no road clearing so no fixed route that you must clear. As a result, I find that this means the game gives more flexibilty in how you choose your solution. You are often asked to own a certain number/type of houses by the end of the level, but there are other goals too which mean that you can't just build the right houses and that is that.

Sometimes you'll need to sell houses that you'll want later because you need money early on for something else, and you can sometimes buy them back for less than you sold them for because buying/selling prices depend on how many other houses are up for sale at the same time (and you can influence the market when buying by temporarily putting houses, that you have no intention of selling, onto the market so that you can make a lower offer on the one you want to buy).

Although the basic idea is very simple, there is plenty of room for strategy and I'd call this more of a Strategy/Resource Management game than Time Management.

It's also less clicky than many of the road clearer/builder games, because you don't have to send workers to collect resources dotted about the scene. You earn money from rent or selling houses and make materials as and when required (if you can afford them), and rent is collected automatically .

If you already like the recently popular type of road clearing/builder games, but haven't tried one of the original builder games then I suggest giving this one a try to see for yourself because it is different but may still appeal, and the graphics for this one may suit you more than the original B-A-L graphics.

I like the butterfly workers instead of little men .

(Yes, it's odd that they are referred to as fairies but that doesn't affect gameplay so I don't care ).

Edited on 06/07/2012 at 4:08:19 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 7, 12 5:07 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 2:11:09 AM PST

[Post New]by bickerlynne on Jun 7, 12 7:14 AM
Casual mode is the same as Sand Box in "Be Rich". Still has goals to complete but you are basicly playing against yourself. Only your scores will show on the score page. Played forest twice to beat my first score. Only one screen per chapter from what I could tell. Hope this helps.

janinewhite
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by janinewhite on Jun 7, 12 6:09 PM
I am a big fan of the Build a Lot games, but frankly this one bored me. Maybe I don't care for the fairy theme or I've reached my BAL quota. It was just a snooze to watch butterflies build dens.

Geluvweez
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Geluvweez on Jun 8, 12 2:30 AM
Wonderful! Beautiful little buildings! I love the previous build a lot so this is a buy for me with the new adorable buildings and dragons

Go to: