bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 7, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other Fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 7, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 7, 12 1:48 AM
Well, the graphics looked much more sharp in the promotion page, than they were in the real game - more blurred, small objects, and quite blended in the background - which forced me to use frequently the hints. But the hints recharge fast, and there are navigation arrows out of the HOS. The navigation arrows are the main parameter which made me to buy the game...

Interesting story, very appealing Adventure mode, and standard signs (hand, magnifier, gears). There are masks to collect too (55, I found only 3, and that's too much for me, lol)...

Length: The SG is divided to pages for a chapter.

7 chapters; 5 chapters - 6 pages each; chapters 6 and 7 - 7 pages each. (total 44)
Bonus chapter - pages 1-12.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 7, 12 1:54 AM
Based on the trial:

A new developer, Mad Head Games, has brought us this first game of a planned series of "Rite of Passage" games. It appears to be the first effort from these devs.

There is a lot to like about this game:
-the story is intriguing and appears to be well thought out----a tale of kidnapped/missing kids, and it's your job to see what's what in this town (and rescue the missing kids).
-the graphics are good.
-the HOS have some interaction.
-the artwork is very colorful and very nice to look at, getting away from the the dreariness of so many of these mystery types.
-the hint button is very useful even outside the HOS.
-the puzzles are challenging and unique.

Those positives being enumerated, there are some negatives:
-there is no widescreen available, which is a hallmark of yesterday's games. Being new devs, we'll see if they pay attention to this lack of detail in their next offering. With beautiful artwork and graphics like this game has, one can only imagine what a positive impact a widescreen or stretch or aspect correction would have. Too bad.
-I'm really not picking on this dev about this in particular, but I see they are going the way of another disturbing trend I'm seeing in some of these games----and that is the repeating HOS to find different objects. The third HOS was a repeat of the first.
-the bonus content is locked up, another complaint that many have, and justifiably so. You should not have to complete the game to see what you bought. Simple as that.

But all in all, since it's a first time effort from someone new and has many positive aspects, I'm going ahead and buying this one. The next one in the series will need to offer the widescreen option, however, like all the top developers do. In 2012 there is no longer an excuse not to do this. Other than that, though, congrats on a nice game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 7, 12 2:14 AM
This game will be a definite buy for me but not until it comes out as an SE purely because you have absolutely no idea what is included in the Extras whatsoever and the Strategy Guide Index only shows the first 2 chapters so there is no hint as to the length.

Talking of the Strategy Guide I haven't needed to look at it at all even though I am playing in Expert Mode and I have only skipped one puzzle because I find those where you turn one piece that moves another too time consuming to play during demo time so the game doesn't appear to be that difficult ... so far.

The graphics are good and I like how colorful it is although I found the hidden object scenes to be a bit on the blurry side. These scenes have some interactive elements to them. Sneakers are required but so far I have known exactly where I wanted to use the objects I get and so it has been a case of going straight to that area without having to check other places along the way.

I like the fact that there are objects hidden throughout for us to collect as that always helps to make me take more notice of the surroundings and thus I appreciate the details that are put into each scene more. I have enjoyed the puzzles that I came across in the demo and I really look forward to solving the mystery of the missing children in the future.

Cherb

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 7, 12 3:00 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor - the latter being a smaller version of the former.

There is voice-over.

There are 55 Masks to be found in the game.

The Journal is at the right. Within you will also find a section for your Objectives, as well as the masks collected, and how long you have played the game.

There is a Mask right next to the Journal. Whenever you find a mask, it will be added to that mask. You can find out how many masks you have collected so far by taking a look inside your journal.

There is no Map.

The SG (strategy guide) is below the HINT button, which is on the left. The SG stays open where you last left it open.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are nicely spaced, and objects are easy enough to find. Object names in yellow are hidden within another object, and object names in green need an extra step before you can click on them.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, takes 45 seconds to refill in Easy mode.

Puzzles/mini games can be skipped. The ones I have encountered so far are really nice ones. SKIP button takes about a minute to fill in Easy mode. Didn't actually count the seconds, so can't say for sure.

The graphics are not quite of ERS standard, but are very well done, especially in the main game area.

--- --- ---

I am very happy that I have to find 55 masks (gives the game that little extra), rather than staring at the screen to find morphing objects.

I enjoyed the gameplay, and really liked the mini games I have come across in the hour I played the game (couldn't finish the trial within that hour), and will buy the CE.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Jun 7, 12 3:01 AM
Lovely graphics with more than just blue colors. The navigation is smooth, when you find objects you know where to use them. There are minimum sparkles other then hidden object scenes in the casual mode for those interested. The puzzles are a little different but in most cases very doable. There is a lot to do and you may have to do a bit of running around but at least with this game you have a good idea where you need to go, so no going in circles wondering what to do next and having to resort to the guide which after playing most of the demo I have yet to use so no idea what is in it which is just the way I like my game play.Fun to all.

Lovely I have just morphed to the pretty lobster.

Edited on 06/07/2012 at 3:05:25 AM PST

pinkmarigolds
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,246 Posts

[Post New]by pinkmarigolds on Jun 7, 12 3:22 AM
I have posted this as a review too but thought I would share it here too!

Based of 1 hour of demo play.

First impressions matter a lot to me; when I trial a CE I expect to get sucked in and not notice the hour go by. Here however I found myself drifting off on occasions and happy when my hour was up.

The storyline offers a lot, and maybe playing experience improves as the game progresses. But during the demo the storyline could not make up for the graphics, grainy and dark. The game also cannot be adjusted for widescreen so the graphics are further worsened by the fact I had to peer through a letterbox to play it. Shocking in this day and age!

There are 2 game modes - casual and experienced. I played in casual mode and there were not too many sparkles - good IMO.

The HO scenes are painful due to the graphics.

You have to find hidden masks in each scene and the little mask icon glows green when there is one to find, which kind of takes the fun out of it.

There are voice overs but the characters didn't endear themselves to me at all.

All in all a mediocre offering which may be worth a SE price tag but I won't be playing any further to discover if I am right.

Is it just me or have the recent CE offerings been a bit pants recently?

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Jun 7, 12 3:53 AM

Edited on 06/07/2012 at 5:55:06 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jun 7, 12 4:03 AM
Mixed feelings for this one.

Good story, interesting puzzles, acceptable voice acting, nice artwork. Big plus is though Hidden Object scenes are repeated the already found objects from earlier goes are still removed. That's a personal pet peeve so I'm very glad to see it's correctly done here.

The worst thing about this game imo is what I consider TERRIBLE sound design - the music is annoying and very repetitive. The sound when clicking on objects to investigate them is a weird doink that grates on the nerves. Small errors like the sound of wood floors when walking down a street. Sound can be almost as important as graphics and this is a fail. I never play w/o sound and music and I'm considering this if I buy.

My other chief complaint is the Hidden Object scenes are VERY blurry, even on my HD Display. I can't imagine what they are like on a regular monitor. This is weird because the environment graphics are pretty clear. It's like they purposefully blurred to increase difficulty.

So definitely not a home run but still considering. Mostly because I'm hungry for a nice long playing IHOG fix.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jun 7, 12 7:18 AM
What I liked:
I was drawn into this game immediately. I knew I would buy it within the first couple of minutes.
The storyline is a little different: kidnapped children
The hint button could be used to point in the direction of the next move
You moved back and forth between locations to finds bits and pieces of objects
Graphics were nicely drawn and beautiful

What I didn't like:
The HO scenes were blurry. At 73 my vision is not what it used to be and the blurry objects were frustrating. I found myself random clicking to locate the objects. There did not seem to be a penalty for random clicking.

Will I purchase this game:
DEFINITELY -- but I would have been much happier if the HO scenes were sharper.

This game looks like a real winner and a home run for a new developer. Thanks to the designers and developers and thanks to BF

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Jun 7, 12 7:38 AM
I like it a lot. Not CE worthy though. Will buy the SE. I love the fact that you don't need a shovel or a rake to get certain things. Thanks for that!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 7, 12 8:55 AM
New developer has done a rather decent job on the game. Not certain if they are new to creating or just new to BF. Anyway, the game is decent, but no spectacular. The graphics are beautiful but a little blurry on my screen. They are using real actors in the storyline so that is a new phenomenon which has not occurred until recently. Storyline is interesting. It seems to be the normal fare for CE games. Nothing spectacular but decent. I may purchase as I have summer vacation now. Some have complained that it has been difficult to find items in the HOG piles. I would imagine if you have a small screen this may be a problem. I think they are not small as they are blurry. Puzzles are okay. There are a few games I have beta tested which I am anxiously awaiting to come out, some quite awhile ago. I would place this game in the 3 out of 5 star category. Nothing truly unique to rate a 5 star rating but not that bad either. Rather mediocre for a CE. If you are short of funds, you may want to wait until it comes out on SE. Again, I am not certain I will purchase it as a CE. Nothing spectacular.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jun 7, 12 10:26 AM
I everything about the game and found the graphics to be excellent nothing blurry thus far. I miss the morphing objects would rather find them than just still objects. To me finding the hidden object masks is no different than finding the hidden object screens. I hope the Devs will give us a choice for bonus points like morph or find certain objects. I also tire of Hidden object games and love it when Devs give us a choice to play a different game. Usually the Devs do not read the reviews I hear ,but one suggestion would be games of solitaire instead of mahjong's. This game is mini games and hidden object screen but plenty of interactivity which I love. I hate games with back to back hidden object screens to me it breaks up the storyline and that is important.

The voices are excellent. The graphics are brightly colored .Graphics nicely done realistic looking especially for hidden objects. The storyline is compelling to catch the kidnapper of children. I love the mini game at start of the game to get in the park. There is hidden object to collect for bonus. This game has suspense, mystery, drama. I love everything about it. I encourage everyone who is looking for what I described in a game to try it and hoping you will buy it and enjoy it like me. I am enjoying it so much I had to tear myself away to give this review.

Edited on 06/07/2012 at 10:05:58 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 7, 12 10:41 AM
Nice game. Graphics not bad (didn't have a problem with blurry items), music annoying and never changes the tune, HOGs not difficult (for the most part, items easily seen), hint system good, games not difficult (did not care for the instructions in the games at all...not really instructions), game play nice, SG easy to follow and nicely done.

This one definitely would have benefited from an interactive map system. A lot of back and forth for one item is a bit much, especially when you have to move through multiple areas to get from point A to point B.

I have never been "caught off guard" by any of these games, but this time I was. The man in the forrest made me jump, and I knew it was coming.

All in all, I did enjoy this game. I liked finding the masks rather than straining my eyes looking for morphing objects (which I do enjoy anyway). I prefer seeing the entire SG to figure out about how long the game is. I don't like spending CE money for a short game, so will wait to see what people say about the length before I decide to purchase.

Thanks for the reviews.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jun 7, 12 10:54 AM
Really impressed. From what I am reading from you all, as a new developer they did a geat job! Very enjoyable game. Graphics are good. The story is interesting. Puzzles are hard enough. The lenght of play is adequate, I am just now getting towards the bonus chapter and I have played for 4 hours. I am glad I broke down and used some of my game cred's...this game is worth it
Can't wait to see the next one they develop

mai66
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by mai66 on Jun 7, 12 11:02 AM
Just to add up: I played the demo in hard mode. And there are no, I said NO sparkles!! Thank you dear developer!!
I like the game at lot, but are very curious about the lengh! I didn´t finish the two chapters in the one hour trial. But how many chapters are there, and do they stay at the same difficulty??
Keep on the good sneakers, ´cause there are a lot of going back and forth....

Happy gaming, and thank you developer for this great first attept!!

Mai

MinnieK
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by MinnieK on Jun 7, 12 11:32 AM

Edited on 06/08/2012 at 3:47:20 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jun 7, 12 11:55 AM
Really enjoyed the portion of the demo I played & echo the plusses as listed by others. I'd describe graphics as "soft" vs. "blurry" - soft is more of an effect, blurry a matter of quality, i.e. the graphics are poor resolution. Game runs super smooth, so far quick transitions between scenes, no floating cursor etc. I'm finding some of the "click" sound effects (esp. when there's a question mark & you click for more info) on the annoying side - but rarely does a game have everything you'd want . Guess I'd describe some of the sounds as "harsh", but like many of the ambient sounds (birds and things).

I was drawn into the story & it's nice there are other characters along the way - some games get very "lonely" soooo many utterly deserted towns and assylums

I was pretty surprised they really meant NO sparkles! Folks have said H0 scenes are revisited, so will need my thinking cap to remember where they are - I get lazy counting on those H0 sparkles even in expert mode on most games! I'm also liking the mask hunt - I seem to be failing misserably at morphing objects lately & hoping to do better with stationary objects

All in all it's a buy for me & Happy Gaming everyone.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 7, 12 12:26 PM
Enjoying the game and graphics are good, storyline is different and music too. It has hints that reload fast and objectives of what you are to do. I like this type of game, but don't know if I will buy the CE. I always think about it before I buy as want to get the best for my money. Give this a 4 out of 5 stars..

Go to: