bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 9, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other Fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 9, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 9, 12 12:50 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I played in Easy mode.

There is an option for Music, Sound Effects, and Full Screen. This game plays in widescreen.

There are 2 gameplay modes. The only difference between the easy and harder one is that the HINT and SKIP buttons fill slower than in easy mode.

There is only the custom cursor.

There is no voice-over.

Tutorial can't be skipped.

Does anyone remember the game "Coronation Street"? That's how the HOS (hidden object scenes) are like. When you click on the HINT button, the scene goes black&white, and an object is shown in yellow.
Some of the objects in the find list are yellow. Those are not interactive, but go into your inventory when you have found them.

The HINT button refills very quickly.

If you click too often around in the HOS, the cursor does a swirly dance.

The sound effect whenever you find a hidden object is quite annoying.

Puzzles can be skipped. SKIP button fills reasonably fast.

I didn't care for the kind of graphic being used in this game, which seems to be pretty much a basic HOG (hidden object game).

--- --- ---

First impressions:

Second impressions: same as above.

I am sure there are lots of fishies out there who will enjoy this game. I am not one of them, alas.

Happy Saturday, everyone.

Edited on 06/09/2012 at 11:58:38 PM PST

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by limey_scale on Jun 9, 12 1:27 AM

Edited on 06/09/2012 at 1:52:42 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 9, 12 1:47 AM
Sorry devs this game is a 'no buy' for me too, I didn't even manage to complete the first hidden object scene before coming to that conclusion.

Some of the items are tiny and there is a loop de loop click penalty which makes me very indeed and reach for the delete button but before I could get there the cursor started behaving erratically and it took me all my time getting it up to the top of the screen to click on the Menu button so I could escape the game.

Cherb

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 9, 12 1:54 AM
Tried this game but no, thanks. For one there's the terrible screensize that's not changable, that is, not for my monitor. If I remove the full screen option, then I've got a small screen. If I keep de full screen option, I've got a wide streched screen that only covers the middle section of my 24' inch monitor. Can't barely see the menu button on top, only the lower line. Terrible devs, terrible! And I'm afraid I won't be the only one complaining about this!
Then there's the noise when you find an object. So annoying that you want to mute it right away. Why is this, for heaven's sake? Isn't a modest little soundeffect enough?
Third and last: the way the game is titled: Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder, one suspects an adventure/hog like, for instance, Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show. But oh no, you're mistaken, cause this game is no more than a straight HOG junkpile style!
Feel somewhat cheated and overall annoyed with this game.

No buy here. That's for sure.

BereniceP
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by BereniceP on Jun 9, 12 2:44 AM
This game is absolutely awful!!! Definite NO BUY from me.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jun 9, 12 4:45 AM
This is a good example of a game you need to try for yourself. Some of you will absolutely hate it, some will really like it. To give it a fair chance, though, the FIRST thing you need to do is turn the music down to about 1% and sound down to 2% in the options menu. Maybe because I didn't get much sleep, but that is the most annoying "you found it" chime I've heard in a long, long time.

This is a HOPA-light, meaning it is very linear and heavy on the HO scenes, but you do accumulate and use inventory. The graphics are great, very sharp and clear, but the items are mostly very small, which will really annoy a lot of gamers. I managed to play for 45 minutes without using a single hint, so the items are not impossible to find - you just need to be very patient. The items might be small but they are very recognizable and not hidden (at least in the 45 minutes I played.)

The game completely filled my widescreen monitor with no changes by me, which I really liked, but it seemed to cut off a bit at the top, maybe a quarter to half an inch, so it was hard to see the tag to click to return to the main menu. I don't think that is always available, either - I didn't even see the edge of it when I was reading the dialog boxes. And yes, there are a lot of dialog boxes, but they are skippable. If you want the story, though, you need to read the dialogs.

This will be a buy for me - the story is interesting, the graphics are very good for an SE, and it looks like it has a decent lenght to make it well worth a punch card credit for me. I probably wouldn't pay full SE price if I didn't have a punch card credit ready, but I'd certainly leave it in my Game Manager to buy the next time I had one available.

So try it yourself - just remember to turn the sound down!!! You can always turn it back up if you got more sleep than I did last night so it doesn't annoy you.

ETA I ran into several puzzles during the demo. They included rewiring, "picking" a lock, and a slider puzzle. I was able to complete them all without skipping, but they weren't so easy that I was done in seconds, either.

And the invenory wasn't "find it use it, find it use it" like a lot of the SEs.

Edited on 06/09/2012 at 4:51:11 AM PST

catathang
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by catathang on Jun 9, 12 5:31 AM
Tried to play this game. Lasted eight min. then had to get out. I do not like straight HOG games. And the items and word list were too small. No buy for me.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jun 9, 12 5:42 AM
I couldn't agree with Sinshack's review any more! This is a buy for me as well.

I liked the story, the hidden object scenes, etc. I too just did not like the sounds made when an item was found. However, this fit my screen perfectly.

Please do try for yourself and happy gaming!

rogerscove
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by rogerscove on Jun 9, 12 5:50 AM
This HOG was much too hard on the eyes for me. Some of the objects were very tiny and I didn't like that weird noise either. Not a buy for me; not even as a DD.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Jun 9, 12 5:50 AM
Might buy as a DD, if I'm desperate for a new game. Not worth SE price, seems flat and sort of blah to me. Hos after hos, with not much story in between. I like hos but I need a good story too.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 9, 12 6:06 AM
Review from playing demo:

Not the kind of game I enjoy (will comment in the "other" thread).

The H0s sometimes are quite tiny and a bit fuzzy around the edges. Most are readily identifiable though. There are a LOT of H0 scenes. The dialog is "clickable" but I did read all of it to try to "develop" the storyline. Weird sound when finding an item, and an over-click penalty. The first "suspect"'s dialog was more appropriate than the detective's. If there was a map, I couldn't find it nor could I find a hint button although that is supposed to be there...I just couldn't see it on my screen.

Just not a game for me...

Aerosage
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Aerosage on Jun 9, 12 6:24 AM
If I am required to enjoy a game by manipulating its fine-tuning, which is supposed to enhance the game; not take away from it, then I feel something isn't quite right with the 'release'. Additionally, HO games have evolved into HOPA games, so what is with this 'reverse-evolution'?!

sinshack wrote:This is a good example of a game you need to try for yourself. Some of you will absolutely hate it, some will really like it. To give it a fair chance, though, the FIRST thing you need to do is turn the music down to about 1% and sound down to 2% in the options menu. Maybe because I didn't get much sleep, but that is the most annoying "you found it" chime I've heard in a long, long time.

This is a HOPA-light, meaning it is very linear and heavy on the HO scenes, but you do accumulate and use inventory. The graphics are great, very sharp and clear, but the items are mostly very small, which will really annoy a lot of gamers. I managed to play for 45 minutes without using a single hint, so the items are not impossible to find - you just need to be very patient. The items might be small but they are very recognizable and not hidden (at least in the 45 minutes I played.)

The game completely filled my widescreen monitor with no changes by me, which I really liked, but it seemed to cut off a bit at the top, maybe a quarter to half an inch, so it was hard to see the tag to click to return to the main menu. I don't think that is always available, either - I didn't even see the edge of it when I was reading the dialog boxes. And yes, there are a lot of dialog boxes, but they are skippable. If you want the story, though, you need to read the dialogs.

This will be a buy for me - the story is interesting, the graphics are very good for an SE, and it looks like it has a decent lenght to make it well worth a punch card credit for me. I probably wouldn't pay full SE price if I didn't have a punch card credit ready, but I'd certainly leave it in my Game Manager to buy the next time I had one available.

So try it yourself - just remember to turn the sound down!!! You can always turn it back up if you got more sleep than I did last night so it doesn't annoy you.

ETA I ran into several puzzles during the demo. They included rewiring, "picking" a lock, and a slider puzzle. I was able to complete them all without skipping, but they weren't so easy that I was done in seconds, either.

And the invenory wasn't "find it use it, find it use it" like a lot of the SEs.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jun 9, 12 6:48 AM
I'm on the fence with this one.

I didn't find the HO scenes too bad and the colour / graphics were good. The dialogue swaps between having to read fast to keep up and being able to click and read at your own pace.

My demo ended with a maze game where you had to drag a ball around which kinda made me think urgh right at the end. Hate those "back to basic" puzzles. In fairness, it was the only one I hated in the demo although I hate that they don't do the puzzles in full screen - just a box in the middle. In addition, it annoyed me that you had to drag the items from the inventory instead of clicking and moving. I kept forgetting which was probably why it annoyed me.

I think I've just talked myself out of buying.

Aerosage wrote:HO games have evolved into HOPA games, so what is with this 'reverse-evolution'?!

There are a heck of a lot of people who only like straight HO's so there is still a market for them.

sinshack wrote:So try it yourself - just remember to turn the sound down!!! You can always turn it back up if you got more sleep than I did last night so it doesn't annoy you.

LOL - believe me, it had nothing to do with your lack of sleep.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 9, 12 7:01 AM
I played the demo after 10 minutes I bought the game, awesome game DEV's thx for all your hard work and time.. I loved the sounds and the graphics are awesome.. Thx BF for this lovely game..

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jun 9, 12 7:43 AM
The puzzles were somewhat original and fun. But that is really about the only good thing I can say about this game. There was not enough intrigue and interaction to keep me interested. If you like mostly HO scenes, you might like this.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jun 9, 12 8:04 AM
lovely62 wrote: I played the demo after 10 minutes I bought the game, awesome game DEV's thx for all your hard work and time.. I loved the sounds and the graphics are awesome.. Thx BF for this lovely game..

You are a great example that people should always demo a game, despite bad reviews. This game has been likened to the Coronation Street game but if I remember rightly you gave that game a big thumbs down.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jun 9, 12 8:49 AM
I agree with the reviews. Everytime I picked up an object the I was annoyed my the sounds. Not a difficult game at all. A no buy for me.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 9, 12 9:04 AM
Valdy does such a good job giving you the logistics of the game. My further comments are that for me it is boring. If you like strictly HOG games, this one is for you. Personally, I don't like them so I will not purchase or use a coupon on this game. An absolute "no" for me. Not much action in this game. Basically this is a good game for those who are new to HOG games or who absolutely adore looking for objects in junk piles. No voice overs is another turn off for me. I hate reading dialogue. Hopefully we will see another CE, Haunted Hotel on Sunday.

Go to: