shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 10, 12 12:33 AM
Oh goody! I am so happy to see this game for the TGT. I really enjoyed Haunted Hotel 3: Lonely Dream and have high hopes for this one. Post your comments and opinions here! Happy gaming everyone.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Comments for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 10, 12 12:39 AM
Hi shadowfax, I am also looking forward to playing this game. The last instalment was much better than the first two.
Poutoule, this is for you ..... DLing now.
Cheers

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 10, 12 12:55 AM
Hello shadowfax and DLO.

I like this game, from what I can see so far.
The "diary" is in the form of info, found on the top right hand corner.
There are controls for music and sound. Custom cursor. Full screen and stretch screen. My screen has black bars either side but never a problem to me.
I have not tried the hint system.
There are achievements to get Not very many but still..............

None of the extras are available until the main game is finished, except of course for the SG, which has general tips, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and the bonus chapter.

The game appears to me to be logical, unlike some, where you sometimes think, "what the heck do I do next?" LOL!

To me, this looks like a winner!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 10, 12 1:00 AM
Love this game so far. The graphics to me are excellent and this game is much better than the first one. Probably a few more HOG scenes than I personally like, but it is a good mix of both to appeal to both the HOG game lovers and those who prefer puzzle and adventure games. Definitely hauntingly appealing!! Kudos to the devs who have upped their game in this game.

LEOTA26
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by LEOTA26 on Jun 10, 12 1:08 AM
Does anyone know if you have to play the other games first for the story to make sense or does it stand on its own? I only played the first one for some reason and that was like a hundred years ago for my brain.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 10, 12 1:12 AM
LEOTA26 wrote:Does anyone know if you have to play the other games first for the story to make sense or does it stand on its own? I only played the first one for some reason and that was like a hundred years ago for my brain.

I my opinion it completely stands on it's own. Enjoy

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 10, 12 1:15 AM
This one appears to be a stand alone game, so don't think it matters whether you have played the others. Having played the others, I can tell you that in the 10 minutes or so that I played, this one appears to me to be hands down better than the other three put together. Off to play some more.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 10, 12 1:28 AM
Well, I sincerely hope so Ann and WRD,
This is the first one to be offered as a CE (or did I opt to purchase III as a Standard version?).
Though I do agree that each game has been a better offering than the previous one.
Cheers

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Jun 10, 12 1:39 AM
I don't know if it's cheaper to produce a game in sort of "black and white" colors, or give all the background one foggy/blue color.

But I am tired of playing creepy games without colored background!

It's JUNE for god's sake, the grass is green, the water is blue, and the flowers are yellow/red/purple/pink!

Where are the colors??? I get depressed playing without colors...

I won't buy it even as DD...

Happy gaming...

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Jun 10, 12 1:46 AM
Nice game. But there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. Seems to be lacking something in the quality of the gameplay for me-can't quite put my finger on it. Probably won't buy as a CE, but definitely as an SE.

Also, If I can't move through the hint and/or skip systems quickly; it's a definite downer for me. Bogs down the pace of the game, leaving me at a stand-still and frustrated. With this game, there's no such thing as a directional hint. You know, the kind of hint that just points you in the right direction but doesn't deplete the hint timer. With this game, if you click on the 'hint' icon, you have to wait for it to refill completely before you can get another hint. That may work well for those who don't mind the suspense of waiting. Or for those who don't use the hint system often. Personally I prefer the hints and skips to be available when I want them to be. Not when the game determines I can use them-makes the game alot less enjoyable for me. I'm much less apt to want to purchase a game that has a slow hint or skip timer.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 1:47:32 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jun 10, 12 1:49 AM
Hey all

I remember the first one and the comments of 'bad English' lol. This team took to heart what the people had to say and blossomed into a powerhouse. This game is awesome. I like the first one and at that time this team was brand new. The ones that followed after were fantastic and this one is unbelievable. The graphics are gorgeous, and the game play makes you want to play. Kudos to a game well done.

Sassy

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 1:53:09 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 10, 12 1:51 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:I don't know if it's cheaper to produce a game in sort of "black and white" colors, or give all the background one foggy/blue color.

But I am tired of playing creepy games without colored background!

It's JUNE for god's sake, the grass is green, the water is [b]blue[/b], and the flowers are yellow/red/purple/pink!

Where are the colors??? I get depressed playing without colors...

I won't buy it even as DD...

Happy gaming...

The water is blue where you live, Rebeca_Lily? Where do you live ?? The water of rivers and lakes I mostly see are different shades of grey. *sigh*

Am not very enthusiastic about this game. Will get it when the SE is out, but was rather disappointed with the graphics and gameplay, which seems somewhat stiff.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 10, 12 2:09 AM
The only thing I could have praised about this is the finely honed graphics, making the scenes look almost real. Having said that, I have now moved on to where that isn't so much the case anymore. Bit rough.

As for the rest - poor show. Bad navigation, leaving me with black screens. Hint/skip too slow. Same over-used story. Strange, whistling music. Tired of reading Charles's interminable notes. Takes ages to get into a room and once there, not much to do. My cursor keeps freezing, or just disappearing, for seconds on end.

In the hour demo, I did not achieve very much and am left with a feeling of disappointing and lack of enthusiasm. It's just too slow by far. If they had tweaked the technicalities so that it played more smoothly, they would have got a better response. Too many faults with it, leaving me distinctly unimpressed.

And, whoever heard of combined a poker with fishing gear to get a rod?

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 2:30:14 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Jun 10, 12 2:21 AM
I agree Sherija. The music is deary, and the wait between scenes with a black screen really began to irritate me!
Not worth the CE price to me!

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 10, 12 2:24 AM
I just finished Day 1, and I am going to save the rest til I have had some This place is truly haunted, with the creaks and squeaks, and I find the music eerie, and fitting. The muted 'water colors' look also fits the mood of the game to me. Once I saw that the hints counted even if you just needed direction, I tried not to use one. Haven't been really stuck yet, but I did check out the guide...wanted to make sure I wasn't missing morphing objects lol. This one is still much better than the other three, maybe because it has more hos, and so far everything is pretty logical. One thing I don't like is, once again, use a tool, lose a tool. Will be glad when these devs realize we really don't want to have to keep finding screwdrivers, wrenches, and hammers.

Night all.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jun 10, 12 2:37 AM
Now that you mention it, I do remember playing the other Haunted Hotel games and this is not only nothing like the other two, but I didn't even recognize it as being related at all. It most certainly stands on its own and I like them using real life stuff. The hidden object scenes are easy to find and appropriately sized items. I know how some gamers dislike it if a paper clip is the size of your house or something like that. Its got voice overs for those who like that sort of thing and plenty of puzzles which the SG is pretty good at telling you how to solve. There seem to be achievements, but don't think there is any additional items in each scene like a mask, or rose or whatever as we have seen with other games. I think I'm going to enjoy it!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 10, 12 3:07 AM
the "stretch" works for me,but i think i'll go back to black bares because the graphics become grainy and ugly !
i said in thit-tchat corner that i played the beta of this game in august 2011!and the game was made probably early 2011,even last 2010!and i can see that in gameplay and graphics!
i have write on my notebook:not as CE and don't remember what when BF has published it;and then played again the demo and ,well,now i know why!
i found the HH3 better with beautiful graphics and interesting story!this one,not at all!

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Jun 10, 12 3:30 AM
Undecided so far, but seldom buy CE's. The stretch screen works for me, too. I take it the game must have some remote association with the H.P. Lovecraft Novella? It's hard to believe there could be two men with that name.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Jun 10, 12 3:31 AM
This is the first game I have demoed in awhile that I have
really enjoyed.
Graphics-to me-were perfect for this type of game.
I appreciate a game that keeps you doing things without
relying on one H. O. scene after another.

Sheerija-not sure why you had black screen or problems
with cursor-so sorry. I was fortunate not to experience that.

WRD Something you said-that this has more H. O's?
I remember trying the first 2 and from what I remember they
were nothing but h o's, whereas this game has more puzzle/
adventure.
I never bought them caused they bored me.

I like the SG, leaves off where you last looked.
Also the bottom task bar you can click on, but its not a sparkly
in-your-face-here-I-am-read-me (as a matter of fact, stumbled
on it, didn't know it was there).
This is a definite buy for me.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 3:34:22 AM PST

anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by anabel1566 on Jun 10, 12 4:23 AM
The trials just keep getting shorter and shorter. The demo wasn't long enough to peek my interest....added to my "maybe someday list"....which, by the way, is getting longer and longer....lol The lag of the black screen in between scenes is just annoying.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 4:26:04 AM PST

Go to: