bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Post any Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 10, 12 12:43 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the Forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team.

The Forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly.

If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team. You can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

*Please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Post any Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 10, 12 12:46 AM
Hi Fishies,

We wanted to let you know that during our testing of Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition we found it to be more graphically intense than earlier installments in the series. We have noted that the increased demand on the system can cause a crash on PCs using an Intel HD video card.

Our teams have worked with the developers and found that switching to windowed mode can stop the crashes.

To switch to windowed mode, please take the following steps:

1. Launch Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition from your Game Manager
2. Click Options at the lower left of the screen
3. Uncheck the box marked Full Screen, then click Ok

If you find that you’re still having trouble, please do get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

I hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

kaz85802
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Post any Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by kaz85802 on Jun 10, 12 2:40 AM
I downloaded the game and found that the game crashed once I had finished the first HOS and tried to move to the left. I switched from full screen as suggested here, and the game does run, but I don't think it was as enjoyable as it would have been in full screen. Any chance of a fix to allow it to run in full screen?

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 10, 12 5:16 AM
Hi kaz85802,

Unfortunately, at this time we only have this workaround but playing in windowed mode should prevent the crash unless there is another issue that is causing this?

I would suggest following the advice in the following help article to make sure that your computer is set up to run the game as effectively as it can:

If the error persists after checking out that article, please contact Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page. One of our reps will be happy to take a closer look at this with you.

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Jun 10, 12 6:08 AM
My game flickers when I am playing. It plays okay but the flickering is bothersome.

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 10, 12 6:33 AM
Hi Vallarina,

That sounds like it may be a compatibility issue so the advice in the following article should help your game to run more smoothly:

If you would like us to look into this for you and provide some troubleshooting specific to your computer, please contact Tech Support for further assistance by clicking on the green to the right of the page. We would be happy to work with you directly on this!

Best of luck!

bfgBaikal

kitwhite
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by kitwhite on Jun 10, 12 7:23 AM
Well, that's too bad. I love the Haunted Hotel series but don't play anything in "windowed mode". The crash when Charles gets engulfed by the cloud at the fountain happens every time in full screen.

I hope the developers will fix this glitch!

mlacerva
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by mlacerva on Jun 10, 12 7:29 AM
My concern is that when I change between scenes the screen goes blank for a second or two. Otherwise, looks like a good game. Any suggestions?

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jun 10, 12 7:50 AM
When I got to the yard scene with the tire swing I got a mismatched clue that should have been a cigar but directed to a dragon fly and when i clicked on it it said
"page missing"

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Jun 10, 12 9:42 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming in here with some more tech advice for you.

kitwhite - I'm sorry the workaround of playing the game in windowed mode won't work for you. We are still hoping the developer will get everything straightened out, but if you'd like to get a refund for your game, you can definitely contact our Customer Support and they'll be happy to take care of that for you.

mlacerva - the first thing I'd try is updating your graphics drivers using the process in the help article here. If you're still seeing that delay, you can definitely contact our Tech Support team to see what else could be causing it and how best to get it fixed.

cottoncandy2 - your issue is also something that I think it would be best for Tech Support to take a look at, as that's definitely a more unusual error.

You can contact them by clicking on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages. From there, click "Contact Us" on the left of that screen to submit a support ticket.

If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

I hope that helps!

bfgMonongahela

Redmink
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Redmink on Jun 10, 12 9:43 AM
VERY HELPFUL! Saved me a headache trying to work around this flaw.

Hope developer is able to fix this because this game looks like a keeper.

Thank you bfgBaikal!!!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by ottsnot on Jun 10, 12 10:46 AM
I´ve got a problem, with the screen resolution. In HO scenes some items are hidden under the info bar. I can´t reach them. I´ve tried the stretch mode and tried to alter my resolution. Nothing works!!!! HELP

[Post New]by HANEKO on Jun 10, 12 11:18 AM
I haven't even gotten to the end of the demo--it said "thank you for playing the demo" when I had 14 minutes left!! 60 minutes is NOT 46 minutes!!!

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Jun 10, 12 11:41 AM
I sincerely wanted to enjoy this game, but it kept glitching on me. When I tried to switch locations, the cursor would not indicate how to get to that scene and kept switching me between the garden and the swing or the dock and the previous scene. When I entered the house and exited because it was too dark, I could only go out to the front of the house and then was stymied. What is going on?

This is too much frustration for me in what should be smooth segues from one scene to another. The guide says to go back and I cannot go back. AAAAAAAArrrrrrrrggggggg!

They will really have to work on this one!

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 10, 12 12:09 PM
cottoncandy2 wrote:When I got to the yard scene with the tire swing I got a mismatched clue that should have been a cigar but directed to a dragon fly and when i clicked on it it said
"page missing"
Same here, minus the error message about page missing. The dragonfly just morphed into a cigar.

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 10, 12 12:11 PM
In order to pay full price, I need to have full screen. Any idea when we may see a fix forthcoming? I want to be able to fully appreciate those dramatically enhanced graphics without my brand new computer flipping me the bird and shutting it down.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Jun 10, 12 12:36 PM
Game runs normal other than a very slight delay when switching screens and it fills my screen fine when in stretched mode. The only real comment I must make is that no matter what mode I play in the bottom 1/2 of the bottom line of text in the objectives box is cut off by the bottom of the screen.
I guess the key word here is bottom..
Other than that the game has run fine.

kaz85802
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by kaz85802 on Jun 10, 12 12:41 PM
I tried the suggestion to upgrade my device drivers (although not much seemed to upgrade - my laptop is fairly new), then started the game, having changed the display option back to full screen, and also checking stretch screen. To my surprise, the game DID then work!

I've now succeeded in playing to the end (including the bonus chapter). The game did crash on a couple of occasions, but this seemed to happen when I was switching between locations and was clicking quickly (I tend to be a bit impatient!) It was, however, worth doing, as I enjoyed the game much more in full screen than windowed. Hope this helps!

Rapunzl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Game Keeps Crashing! Help!

[Post New]by Rapunzl on Jun 10, 12 2:00 PM
This looks like a great game, but it keeps crashing on me! I can't get past the first 6 minutes...I've tried all the troubleshooting and re-downloaded the game, only to crash every time I try to play. I get about a minute of gameplay, then a message pops up..."Windows is closing this program"...Grrrrrrr!

Any hints? I really want to play this one, as it looks like a great one!!

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jun 10, 12 2:23 PM
Cottoncandy & Annie -

The solution to the Dragonfly:

The cigar is under and slightly to the right of the dragonfly it blends well with the background & is hard to see - but it's there!! - the "Missing Page" comes up when you accidentally hit the "Info" tab (essentially the Journal in this game) - we haven't yet collected all the pages ("Charles' Letter" should be on your list and that's it so far)...so it's not a glitch at all - but it is a precise click to get the cigar without getting the Info or Dragonfly.

Happy Gaming!!

Go to: