bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 10, 12 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 10, 12 12:54 AM
I will leave the logistics to Valdy, who I assume will be posting here. To me, much better than the first of the series. The graphics I felt were excellent. There are the usual two levels of play, which most of the devs now provide. Occurs in New Orleans, which is definitely a good location for a "haunted game." This is a good mix of both adventure/puzzle and HOG games. It should appeal to both. I probably would like a few less HOG scenes, but generally with a good storyline, voice overs, and good puzzles, it is not terribly distracting. To me, personally, one of the best in some time. Kudos to the devs. Much, much better than the first, by far.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 10, 12 1:07 AM
Hi there sunnyglow,
If my old brain is working correctly, the first game was pretty much a straight HO game, but there has been futher development in the last two (out of three) versions offered so far.
This is the first one (I believe) offered as a CE - or did I only purchase the SE of III, Lonely Dream?
Cheers

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 10, 12 1:34 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the trial version, which I finished with 11 minutes to spare, and which I played in Casual mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a "Stretch screen" option, which didn't do anything for me.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you last left it open.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is an INFO button at the top right. When you click on it, you can re-read the letters and other documents you find.

The MENU button is at the top left.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the bottom right. It takes just over a minute to refill in Casual mode.

You come across HOS (hidden object scenes) quite frequently. Graphics could have been better, but objects are mostly easy enough to find.
When using the HINT button in the HOS, and you have more than 1 object left to find, you will have to choose which of the objects you want to find by clicking on its name.

Some objects in the Inventory can be combined when you see a + (cross) next to the items.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes over a minute to fill in Casual mode.

Graphics on the whole are a little rough.

Gameplay is not quite as fun as I would have liked. It's a little stiff, stilted. Can't find a better word for it.

--- --- ---

For those fishies who are not comfortable with occult things and necromancy, there is an element of the latter at least.

I will buy the game, but will probably wait for the SE. I was a little disappointed with the graphics and gameplay, and not thrown off my chair with excitement when playing the trial version.

ETA: After having read a lot more posts after my review, Pckiller's included, who kindly answered our questions, I decided to buy the CE after all.

Edited on 06/11/2012 at 7:05:39 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 10, 12 1:39 AM
I'm a sucker for CE iHOGs, but this has to be the worst CE I've ever trialed. The graphics are poor, blurry and wishy washy. It takes ages for each screen/location to load (get a black page). No interactive HO scenes either. Music drove me nuts too.
Even in advanced level there was too much hand holding, and a sparkle to point out an item you might miss. You probably would miss it as all so blurry and grainy.
Whole game has feeling that it was made 10 years ago. Not even spooky...just a swirl of black mist here and there.
Don't know what makes this a CE. I'd probably not even get it if an SE and I needed to use a punch voucher!
Considering the amazing quality of many CEs of late, I'm amazed BF thought this worthy of a CE.
For only the 2nd time since CEs were rolled out, I'll not be adding this game to my BF collection.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 10, 12 2:05 AM
Based on the trial:

This fourth installment of the Haunted Hotel collection of games tries very hard to earn the CE status that BF has deemed it worthy of, but unfortunately doesn't get there. Way too many things about the game fall way short of CE status.

The graphics are just poor, that's the only way I know to put it. Very blurry and sometimes grainy. Same in the HOS.

There is a stretch screen option that does not work What's the point of it even being there if it won't work. But then they aren't the only dev with a stretch or wide option that doesn't work. I can't imagine what the programming failure is on that.

The gameplay itself is extremely awkward and clumsy----no smooth flow to it at all.

The puzzles I saw are of a very old style (Tower of Hanoi?----are you kidding, I thought that went out around 2008) that they try to jazz up but fail to do so.

And the bonus content is locked until you finish the game. I notice other gamers are complaining more vociferously about this, and I don't blame them. If you buy it, you buy it and it should be yours to do with as you please. This is truly something all devs need to re-think.

Because the stretch screen is not functional, and there are no other redeeming qualities about the game that I can see, I won't be getting this one----too many other outstanding games out there that this one can't even begin to compete with.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 10, 12 2:19 AM
I like this game, from what I can see so far.

The "diary" is in the form of info, found on the top right hand corner. Use it if you want to remind yourself of what to collect.

There are controls for music and sound. Custom cursor. Full screen and stretch screen. My screen has black bars either side but never a problem to me.

I have not tried the hint system.

There are achievements to get Not very many but still..............

None of the extras are available until the main game is finished, except of course for the SG, which has general tips, Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and the bonus chapter.

The game appears to me, to be logical, unlike some, where you sometimes think, "what the heck do I do next?" LOL!

A slightly different story, with unusual puzzles at times. I did not see to many HOS, which I personally like. As straight HOG's feel like "old hat" to me now.....

To me, this looks like a winner!

ETA. Just to qualify the achievements. There are 33 to collect but they are mainly taken up by completing each mini game. 3 pages of them WolfRaindancer. LOL!

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 2:53:50 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 10, 12 2:40 AM
Stretch screen works for me. Music is eerie and I like the haunted house sound effects. I like that this one has more hos, and so far seems more logical. Yes, the old hanoi tower game is so passe, was surprised to see it, and hope that the rest of the puzzles are better. I think the muted graphics fit the mood, and having completed Day1, I am sure I will enjoy the rest of the game. I played the other three, but remember being frustrated at times and putting them on the shelf for awhile. Eventually finished them all. I think this one is better, but then, as a hog addict, I am a fairly easy mark. I am just so glad to have a decent game to play, and though some CEs are much better than others, I know that I enjoy them all.

eta: Peglegann, there are four pages of achievements.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 2:42:39 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 10, 12 2:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

[Post New]by FishForever on Jun 10, 12 3:53 AM
I never played any of Haunted Hotel games so i didn't know what to expect from this one, but i'm sure expect something good worth the CE status!

Graphics are not great, they're very dull and plain. Most locations are not interesting at all! Music is okay, voice overs are also average, however, i quite like the cut scenes though. The gameplay is very slow-paced, lagging between scenes, simple HOG scenes, boring puzzles!

Although this is not the worst HOG ever created, it's still a nicer one out there, just not for CE!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 10, 12 3:56 AM
My review based on the trial.

Because of low budget these days I'm not inclined to buy CE's. But I'm buying this one and well because of the following.

1. I owe the first 3 games in this series and I quite enjoyed playing them.
2. The devs have certainly improved their work. Thank you devs!
3. The story, although not new in itself, I mean we've seen lost relatives and haunted places of their disappearance before, is interesting enough to be willing to go on and see what happens.
4. The screenstreching works perfectly on my 24'inch monitor.
5. The colours may not be too sunny, but they're not depressing either.
6. The graphics are good enough, I don't find them blurry.
7. The H0 screens are doable, objects can be found fairly easy.

Maybe the hint button could have refilled a bit quicker in casual mode, but that's a minor point.

Good CE, worth the costs IMO.

out of 5

ETA: Now that I've finished the game I'lld like to add that if you don't like to dwell in an atmosphere of very dark magic, playing this game might not be a good idea.

Edited on 06/11/2012 at 2:09:25 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 10, 12 4:01 AM
I played the demo and the sounds was excellent, The graphics was just ok..
I don't know if i want to buy this game or wait until the se comes out..
Thx DEV's for all your hard work and thx BF..

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jun 10, 12 4:08 AM
IMO This series gets worse as it progresses. The original "Haunted Hotel" was a very good game with good puzzles and nice graphics. The series went downhill from there with this being the worst of the lot. I am not sure if i would even play it for FREE. Movement from scene to scene is unusually slow. The graphics are not up to the previous art. In one case (Magic Square) the Instructions overlapped the puzzle and i could not close them though the puzzle could be solved despite that. The music is a bit low key and unmemorable. the HOS are Ok and have the best graphics that I saw.

Overall I found this game bland and was not impressed by anything. The HOS were the best part of the game that I saw. I uninstalled without completing the Demo. Sorry devs but this is a NO BUY for me.

FYI, I got into the house, up the pole, into the first room, solved the Magic Square puzzle, did several HOS.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jun 10, 12 5:47 AM
I have played the haunted hotels series and this one is as interesting as I found the other ones.

The music is no bad at all, The graphics were a littler bit off for my widescreen mode but that was my choice, playing on regular scree was just fine and clear.

The story for me was nice and well put together, I like the game and is a buy for me.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 10, 12 6:34 AM
we seem to be all over the place with this game, this morning. I ddn't know what to expect.
Happily, as I have just finished the demo..it's being bought.
here's why:
-story line really does pull you in, yes it is familiar, but somehow this one pulls you in to save your brother
-graphics..I really like the weirdness of it all, hidden object scenes aren't eactly blurry, they don't jump out at you like some we've seen painted that way..fits the mood
-great background music and sound effects
-feels pretty linear..I fought the game, didn't want to go over into the boat to the crypt so early in the game, but oh well..one has no choice and of course it works out
The ony issue I have thus far..is there is a bit of waiting period between scenes while they load. Otherwise, good game!
(hope it is long)
kris

[Post New]by PandaBearCub on Jun 10, 12 7:33 AM
Didn't care for this game, graphics are poor with the smoke scenes, black screens in between changing areas was annoyingly slow, game play felt too linear for my tastes. Story was interesting but not enough to buy CE or SE. Those who enjoyed this have fun!

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Jun 10, 12 7:42 AM
I tried the trial after reading the reviews. I expected poor graphics and bad gameplay. I found the graphics to be very clear and the gameplay smooth. Unfortunately I fan out of time playing the add up to 34 puzzle. I will definitely buy the SE. Not CE worthy.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jun 10, 12 7:44 AM
I LOVE THIS GAME! I don't know where, but I have played this game before. It came up with my name, which isn't all that unusual, but as I moved from scene to scene, I recognized them.

I have read some of the other reviews from reviewers I usually agree with. In this case, I don't. I found the graphics to be clear and beautiful. I really enjoyed the games and solved every one of them in the trial version. I thought they were challenging, but solveable if I applied a little brain power.

The HOs were sharp and clear on my laptop and the objects were not too hard to find. I only used the hint button once.

The hint button does work outside the HO scenes, which is always helpful.

Don't let the negative reviews scare you off. Try this for yourself. I think you might be surprised.

I do own all the Haunted Hotel series and have found them all to be fun.

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on Jun 10, 12 9:14 AM
No Go

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jun 10, 12 9:16 AM
So far I find the game quite lovely! I am a fan of the series and do have all the previous HH's - oddly the first is my favorite (so far...not finished with this yet) I still remember just being blown away by it when it came out (and it sure wouldn't "make the grade" by our standards today )

Any whoo - I find the graphics in this one georgeous and very clear! Yes - there is some pixelating in some of the animations (smoke, one gate so far...) but those aren't the bulk of the game & the bulk is lovely. Enjoying having a female protagonist this time around - that's new as well. There is a slight delay when changing scenes, but I've experienced far longer delays in other games - mind I've only played the demo and the full game is a ginormous file size - so the scene delay may prove more of an issue with the full game...

Great atmosphere! Some really scaaary background stuff great spooky contrast to the birdsong and other nature sounds! Upshot, seems the devs really put their collective backs into this newest offering in the series.

To sum up: I definitely side with those who recommend "try this one for yourself" especially with the variety of reviews! I was full on prepared to be dissapointed and was very pleasantly surprised!

Happy Gaming!

Go to: