bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 13, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel? We’d love to hear all about it, together with many of the other Fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 13, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only. If you have any comments or questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. (As you could imagine, this feedback is very helpful! )

So to make sure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any comments and non-review posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 13, 12 12:44 AM
This is a pure adventure game from ERS, no hidden object scenes.

If you are wondering if this game is worth getting the CE version (which I played) 100% rest assured that you should stick with this SE version. Apart from everything else (nothing to collect, no achievements, 45 mins bonus play) the plot is a lot better finishing in this version and you will be 100% satisfied about it being tied up. CE bonus went loopy loo on the plot.

This game started out OK for me, it was middling along but nothing exciting then in the middle it lost pace (not many new areas, not many puzzles was a bit boring!) and at the end it picked it up again, it also had puzzles at the end some back to back, if it was spaced out a bit more it would have been better.

Azada libro was far better than this, being a straight adventure game. ERS concentrated on the live actors and seemed to not put as much effort into gameplay or plot or even some of their graphics. And although the lip synch in the actors was mainly good - when it wasn’t, it’s just so off putting. They are obviously trying to catch up to elephant and BFG with using them but just putting live actors into a “C” adventure game isn’t being different and it doesn’t make a blah game good. This is coming from a frequent pure adventure player, so it's not that I am missing the hidden object scenes.

Plot was a mishmash of a nod to haunted halls and every other game – mostly children in peril, and ending been done so many times. (spoiler - sucking life energy from someone) I’d forgive the tired plot if the gameplay wasn’t as tired. There was nothing new or exciting or even captivating about this game (apart from some old film footage you could see) There didn’t seem to be many new areas to explore.

There was a puzzle which was a twist on the rotating rings puzzle and that was good but you had better like it as it kept repeating, getting slightly harder each time. The last hour suddenly got more interesting and had a couple of harder puzzles in it very close to each other, with some others. I would have loved if it had been spaced out a bit more, so I could have enjoyed them in amongst the same old tired gameplay. Most of the puzzles were on the easy side.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 13, 12 12:45 AM
continued -

There was a choice of 3 settings of hardness for gameplay. I play on the hardest for ERS games as they are easier games to play.(compared to some DEV) But I still got full explanations for all the puzzles even though they say there would be no tips and occasionally I still got the black bar tips which they also said wouldn’t be there. Do developers not know that when you play on advanced you don’t want any hand holding?

While I don't recommend it, I'm not going to not recommend it as If you don't mind not many new areas, (a lot of it is rooms) and drabbish scenery then it certainly is worth a coupon or a DD.

I just wish this was a good "same old same old" game as I don't mind same old games if it's done well.

TIME – main game took me 5hrs
on 3rd setting, no skipping puzzles (in the normal length range for a SE for me)

(I mention this to give you an idea of time as if I skipped puzzles it would make the game shorter and I would tell you in fairness to the game)

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 13, 12 12:55 AM
Good morning, Gingergal and other fishies...

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Easy mode:

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a widescreen option, for those who can get it.

There is voice-over.

There are live people in this game.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There are no HOS (hidden object scenes) - for those who are wondering.

There is a DIARY at the left, as well as a GOAL tab.

The HINT button is at the right.
When using the hint button, it refills without delay.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes a long time to fill, even in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

The first thing that came to mind when starting the game was: It's not what I have expected. I didn't expect to see another haunted house/area with lots of ghosts. Not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this.

I do hope that ERS sticks with their wonderful HOGs (and I saw that another one is coming out "soon"). And PLEASE... shorten the length it takes for both the SKIP and HINT buttons to fill in Easy mode. I do not want to hang around for minutes on end before I am allowed to skip a puzzle (most of which I simply can't or care to do). I only ever play Easy mode for the QUICKER fill and refill of the SKIP and HINT buttons.

--- --- ---

For those fishies considering whether to buy the CE: If you thought that the main game was quite dark and foggy, then you will need night vision to see in the bonus game.

I liked the main game better than I thought I would, but the bonus game, which took me 40 minutes (skipped a few puzzles though), was a load of rubbish, IMO.

[Post New]by Cattyruefull on Jun 13, 12 6:10 AM
I;ve only played a little past the trial and am hooked. I love spooky story lines and I love people talking. the more real the better. People conplain about running all over and then complain if there is not enough scenes to go to. the game is easy in that if you get an object its not to long that you get to use it. So far the frustration level is 0. Thanks ERS for trying to please neg comments. You made it so fun to play ( for me anyway). I have not played the whole game yet. Hope you don't change my mind.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jun 13, 12 9:37 AM
I'd love to demo this, but when I went to play the demo, the GM told me my trial was over. Since I haven't played it yet, something isn't right. A shame because the game looks interesting. This is for this version and not the CE.

Edited on 06/13/2012 at 9:39:20 AM PST

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 13, 12 10:09 AM
I seldom buy CE's but did buy this one and am glad. The added play was well worth it.

I loved this game. No junk pile HOGS!!! The adventure play is not so hard to figure out and the hints at least point to where you need to go next. I enjoyed this facet of the game because I often just wander aimlessly and need to be pointed in the right direction. Finally, an adventure game I could master!

It was scary but not anymore than usual. Story line was excellent and I thought the game was very long and for me the extra lasted over an hour.

I'm saving this game to play again in a few months.

Edited on 06/13/2012 at 10:13:46 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 13, 12 11:42 AM
I bought the CE of this game and loved it. No Hogs. Yay ! If you like hogs in your game, you will not like this game. For me a few hogs or no hogs suits me to a tee. I found this game fun and was sorry when it was over. It was long and its one of the few games that I would enjoy replaying. Wish ERS would make more games like this but they probably will not because I don't think games without Hogs are very popular amongst other gamers

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Jun 13, 12 1:28 PM
Man this is a lame game ...I am a HOG lover,not a fighter, this game is NOT for me...sorry ....

josie41132
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by josie41132 on Jun 13, 12 3:18 PM
I usually don't even bother downloading games when they are only adventure and no hogs whatsoever. After reading the reviews I thought I would give this one a try. Its a good storyline, but the no hog scenes stopped me from buying. Guess I'm just gotta have at least some hogs in a game or it's a no buy for me. But as always try it for yourself, and happy gaming fishies.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Jun 13, 12 7:18 PM
I played about 30 minutes of the demo and was bored. The hint button is good and filled fast. But I couldn't get into the story and I hated the sounds, I immediately turned off the what is suppose to be spooky music....I was just bored with it, even though the graphics are good, I just get tired of these type of games and of course I hate games that have real life people in them.

Nana6177
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Nana6177 on Jun 13, 12 9:49 PM
I know we all have our own opinions on HOG vs NO HOG.

Personally, I LOVE ,LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact there are no HOG's in this game.. more pleeeaaassse!

[Post New]by playeatsleep on Jun 14, 12 12:31 AM
Wow, no HOGs? Good, I was getting a bit tired of them I had to stop the demo just to say that I'm enjoying the game immensely and will be buying it. Graphics are great and the pure adventure vibe is taking me back to the golden age of adventure games. Great job devs!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 14, 12 12:31 AM
AMAZING GAME. No HOS at all. Very challenging and not easy. Puzzles are very good and difficult. I highly recommend. Thanks BF

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 14, 12 1:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I was just swimming by and wanted link to the reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition in case that may help.

Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition

Also, to see more reviews, you can also visit the game page here.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:18 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 14, 12 10:54 AM
Thank you bfgBaikal

It's always hard to find the way to the CE version when the SE version comes out, so you can read all the other reviews.

babsvb1948
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by babsvb1948 on Jun 16, 12 12:54 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:I'd love to demo this, but when I went to play the demo, the GM told me my trial was over. Since I haven't played it yet, something isn't right. A shame because the game looks interesting. This is for this version and not the CE.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jun 17, 12 11:07 AM
I guess my question is why is the game called HOG if there are not any. Am still playing the trial. Will decide before the weekend is over to get it on sale.

Go to: