bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for 1 Moment of Time: Silentville

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 16, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of 1 Moment of Time: Silentville? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the 1 Moment of Time: Silentville page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for 1 Moment of Time: Silentville

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 16, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 16, 12 1:00 AM
A game from Two Monkeys. I am not certain if they are new devs or not I do not recognize the name. Nice little SE. I generally do not like HOG games, but this one is unique because you need to either combine items or look in boxes, drawers, etc for the items. This makes it not so boring. There are two modes. I began in the casual mode but reentered because of the sparkles in the casual mode. I don't think the Expert mode is much more difficult than those we have in other games. The storyline is a little bizarre to me. It concerns people who are disappearing in a town. You as the protagonist are beginning to age and you see your hands get older in the process. There are voice overs but this is done against the backdrop of a blank sheet, a little bizarre, I think. It is a little jerky in its movement on my computer. However, generally it is a nice game but not of the calibre of the last CE which was phenomenal. This dev has his game placed right after a stellar one and that is a hard act to follow. Generally, like it. Rate it medium.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 1:02:34 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 16, 12 1:13 AM
Good morning, fishies...

This review is based on the demo, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor. I use the custom cursor, because the system cursor is just static and will not change when I hover over active spots.

There is voice-over.

The Diary/New Task is at the bottom left.

There is a MAP, which you will get a few minutes into the game, and which can only be used to jump. There is no indication of where you are or where you need to do something.

There is an EXIT sign at the top right, which will get you to the Continue/Option/Exit section.

When you are outside of the train station, on the platform, and point your arrow to the left towards the carriage, and click, you will return to the Main Menu.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are highly interactive. In this game, the items in blue are the normal items to be clicked, and the ones in black are the ones you need to do something extra with before you can click on them. Most of the items are in black.

The HINT button takes about 30 seconds to refill in Easy mode.
Outside of the HOS, the HINT button either shows you where something needs to be done or, if you are in the wrong scene, if will show you where you have to be to do something. Click on the image, you are are transported to that spot.

Graphics are OK, not bad and not ERS standards either.

I haven't come across any puzzles yet - it took me such a long time to do the iHOS, so I can't comment on them.

--- --- ---

The graphics and gameplay of this game give me the feel that this is more of an adventure game with HOS rather than a HOPA. I wasn't thrown off my chair with exitement, but it's not a bad game, and I will buy it (with the buy one, get one free sale this weekend).

Happy gaming, everyone.

ETA: I forgot to mention, and Rhysdux reminded me, that the font type in the HOS lists are quite terrible and almost unreadable. I don't mind 2 different colours for the lists, but the font should be a straight forward one.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 1:50:00 AM PST

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jun 16, 12 1:44 AM
I would just like to add that the clues in the HOG/puzzle scenes are written in small font with black lettering (or bright blue lettering if the puzzle is active) against a dark grey background. I couldn't read the list; the contrast was horrible, and there was no way to make the list more readable. So although the game's design was original and enjoyable...I couldn't play it (except by pressing the HINT button every 30 seconds) because I couldn't read the list of what I was being asked to find.

The whole brightness and contrast issue keeps coming up in games. I don't know WHY game designers are so adamant on concealing either objects or lists in shadow, but it's very frustrating. I wish that games had a brightness option. And a contrast option. A few already do, but I would like that to be as expected as adding subtitles as well as sound.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 16, 12 2:24 AM
Review based on the trial.

This seems like a nice little IHOG for inbetween the excellent games like yesterday's CE (Royal Detective: Lord Of Statues). Interesting enough story, voice-overs and clear enough, interactive H0 scenes. Worth to play, I should say.

Minor: the font and the way it's seized and coloured in the H0 scenes can make it difficult to find objects for a number of players. Can you please work on this devs, the next time? Thanks!

out of 5

ETA: The game stays a bit on the dark side, which isn't too helpful with finding small items. Pity.

Edited on 10/16/2012 at 1:17:58 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 16, 12 2:46 AM
Based on the demo:

Not a whole lot to say about this strange little game, because I really didn't get far enough to tell that much (lots of distractions).
But it seems interesting enough for a buy with an unusual story, and nice enough graphics.
As already pointed out, the font type is a problem but not a deal breaker for me.
The interaction in the HOS make it appealing for me.

One question, though. Where is the strategy guide that is so clearly shown to be available in the screenshots on the game page???? Why, since it's obviously available, is it not there for us???? I wonder if I should hold off pending that answer.

ETA----make that two questions: Where is the task list? I'm getting more leery of this version of this game. Why would there be some stripping down of this game?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA----as the comments and reviews continue to come in, this one looks worse and worse.
Pass this one for now, I think.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 9:32:17 AM PST

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jun 16, 12 3:22 AM
I also noticed that, the missing SG as well as the missing task list. Its as is this game initially was to come out as a CE. Despite the poor graphics and the dated art work, I actually found myself really challenged by the HO scenes. The developers really bring interactiveness to a whole new level. I actually found my self challenged with the adventure aspect and I will be needing that Walkthrough please ) The handdrawn cut scenes also threw me off, it almost seemed that the game design was half completed and brought to us too early. Anyhow, I will buy nevertheless as I am interested to find out what happended to everyone.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jun 16, 12 5:13 AM
I guess this game automatically plays in widescreen which will delight a lot of players, for me though it meant that I could only play the game in Windowed mode because of items hidden behind the sides of my monitor. However it didn't stop me buying the game and the reason why is the hidden object scenes, I just loved all the interactive elements there are in them especially using the *coin * and I hope I come across more original things later in the game.

The other things I like about this game are that there is a very good voiceover and a map which transports you to any area you have already visited which will come in very useful later on when my feet grow tired from exploring .

There are two modes of play, Casual and Challenging, and I tried a bit of both but have settled on the latter purely because in Casual there are sparkles everywhere and the Diary tells you exactly what you need to do to, eg, get into the police station, so there is help available in there if you get stuck. FYI there are sparkles in the harder mode too but only to indicate the hidden object scenes.

While I enjoyed the train puzzle , I would have liked it to be slightly harder in that we had to actually lay down some of the tracks ourselves so that it took longer to do but this is just me being greedy because 'pipe' type puzzles in any shape or form are my absolute favourites .

The graphics are reasonable, not exceptional but not dreadful either and although I, personally, have had no problems so far I can understand some people having trouble occasionally and also with the font used to list the hidden objects, (plainer is better devs ).

Cherb

ETA ... Also in Challenging mode there are still the 'helpful' tips at the top of the screen when you click on an object and the hint button is also activated so as far as I can see the only difference between Casual and Challenging is the sparkle difference.

I am still enjoying playing it though .

ETA 2 ... A very good game, I am glad I bought it .

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 6:36:33 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jun 16, 12 5:25 AM
This is a buy for me. Music is okay, got that happy sleuthing beat. The hidden object scenes are out of this world. Talk about your interactive. You go girl! or guy. The only way to adjust the music, sound, full screen and custom cursor is to hit the Exit button. No fancy dancy stuff here. The map is great and the hints are even better. You won't need a SG with this game, although I could of vowed I saw one in the screen shots. Hints fill quickly, which is always a good thing. Overall, I like it. I think you spend more time in the hidden object scenes than you do trying to figure out how to do other stuff.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 5:26:22 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 16, 12 5:46 AM
cbtx wrote:ETA----make that two questions: Where is the task list? I'm getting more leery of this version of this game. Why would there be some stripping down of this game?

I have been wondering about that as well, cbtx. I too thought it strange that there was a "New Task" section next to the Diary, but there are no tasks.

@ Cherbtoo... the game does not play in widescreen mode on my laptop.

--- --- ---

There also seems to be a problem with the fridge magnet. I get a feeling that this game came out in haste, and has not been checked properly.

Just as well I was going to wait until tomorrow to buy the game. This one seems to be only half done.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 16, 12 5:47 AM
ETA----make that two questions: Where is the task list? I'm getting more leery of this version of this game. Why would there be some stripping down of this game?

I believe the Diary/New Task icon is your lists of tasks. It is just in a format we are not used to seeing (i.e. find way into xxxx, make a recipe for xxx, etc.) It does tell you what needs to be done or will need to be done and even gives you clues as to future actions. This game really makes you think and stores useful clues in the diary.

As to the SG being gone, I think what another fishie said about it being a link to another developer or site is probably correct. How about a comment from the moderator to clear this up?

I like the interactive HOS scenes and find them very challenging. It is like a puzzle/minigame and HOS scene rolled into one. On the down side though they are confusing though. Some items have the gear function to indicate you need to find something for it and others do not. I also found out that some of the interactive items need to be revisited which isn't bad but one time you hover over it and you have the zoom in icon. You complete the action and when you hover over the item again the icon is just a plain cursor but then later on when you hover over it, an eye icon appears letting you zoom over it again. It is frustrating to say the least.

I find the game a refreshing approach to the usual game play mode. I did find a puzzle though and was not happy with the way it played. The train that you had to make tracks for from start to finish. Only problem is that the little train kept chugging along as you're trying to piece together the tracks, and of course colliding when the track wasn't complete. That I found very distracting. I was able to complete the puzzle because the track was not a long complicated one.

All in all it is a buy for me.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 16, 12 9:28 AM
Valdy wrote:
cbtx wrote:ETA----make that two questions: Where is the task list? I'm getting more leery of this version of this game. Why would there be some stripping down of this game?

I have been wondering about that as well, cbtx. I too thought it strange that there was a "New Task" section next to the Diary, but there are no tasks.

@ Cherbtoo... the game does not play in widescreen mode on my laptop.

--- --- ---

There also seems to be a problem with the fridge magnet. I get a feeling that this game came out in haste, and has not been checked properly.

Just as well I was going to wait until tomorrow to buy the game. This one seems to be only half done.

I might buy it and wait for the fix, but the bad fonts, lack of SG and task list, and now buggy kitchen area make very leery of this one. I'm waiting to see if BF responds to these issues in these forum pages at all, because if not for the sale, I would give pass this one completely. Half-baked, ,half-baked.

Oh, and of course, no widescreen.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Jun 16, 12 10:14 AM
I'm not dazzled. It seems like a rough draft of a game. If it were beta, I may be able to overlook some things, but I can't spend my money on this.

*UI is clumsy. If I click on a door, take me through it. Don't just open it and expect me to click on it AGAIN.

*As mentioned above, the font/color/contrast of the list is pretty bad.

*The dialogue goes on too long. I normally wouldn't have an issue with this because I'm a fast reader and just skip through. This won't let you do that. It's all or nothing.

*The HOmix scenes were fun-ish. Some befell the strange translation curse ( tweezers are 'pincers').

*I didn't enjoy the music or voice acting, but that's a preference. Playing on mute was bliss.

*Love that the play space filled my 17" ws laptop.

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Jun 16, 12 10:35 AM
It's quite evident that this one was a rush job. Given a bit more time in development, this could've been a very nice little SE. Great job on the narration.

Agree with various others on the font choice. Rule of thumb=sans-serif all the way baby! Also, the use of colons in the HO list should probably be avoided-i.e., "Dollars: 3 Units"=TMI in my opinion. It's just a bit too much hand holding. It's all about the thrill of the hunt. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a listed object in an HO scene wrap to the next line of text=obj description too long and/or messy layout of the list.

Again, it does have the potential to be a good, solid game. It does have some very nice elements. I really wanted to like this game. But, it had the 'newbie dev' feel to it. Which isn't necessarily a deal breaker in some cases; and quite often can be a lovely surprise. But for this game, I'm reluctant to move any resources towards this effort. So, I'm going to pass for now and wait to see what the offering is tomorrow.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 10:53:27 AM PST

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jun 16, 12 10:36 AM
Well, I like this game. I think it is quirky and it does stump me sometimes but it is not the usual HO game. There are lots of things to do in the HO parts and they do make you think a little more than usual, at least me. After reading comments before the download, as I usually do, I was prepared to struggle with these 75 yr old eyes, but I am not having any problems at all. I wasn't too happy when I had to pick up the rat in the HO but, hey, I did it and am still in the game having fun. So far, no problems for me and I am going to buy for sure when I decide on the 2nd game.

slimjims36
Clownfish
Clownfish
526 Posts

[Post New]by slimjims36 on Jun 16, 12 12:08 PM
I liked this game! for people who hate h0 scenes, i would think they wouldn't complain aboutthese. (except for that font thing which I didn't have all that much toruble with). these are way and beyond the normal ones, you don't just sit there and find stuff, it is interactive all over the place there are two or more steps and moving around and placing and repairing almost everything from the list. Iwasn't bored, thats for sure.

okay the cut scenes were sketchy (no pun intended) but the voice overs were nice the story was interesting. the puzzles were okay, not mind-boggling, but i liked the train. might be more later that are harder, and okay theres some funny things going on with the SG and stuff. but i'm going to buy it. it has big mgs so hope its a long game. I bet it was going to be a CE and somebody decided it wasn't "fine-tuned" enough to qualify. Or they took it down to a se because people were complaining about too many CE's

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 12:09:33 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jun 16, 12 1:21 PM
Interesting game with very nice interactive HOscenes, I find the colorful sparkles to be very nice also.

The story is your typical small town mystery.

It doesn't play widescreen in my laptop but for this game am OK with it.

Definitely will not bore you to oblivion.

Chiefcook
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by Chiefcook on Jun 17, 12 1:41 AM
thoroughly enjoyed this trial - especially since the hint will take you right to the place where you need to be for it good work keep it up

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 17, 12 3:41 AM
This was a very good game and I really enjoyed it, despite the 2 glitches. We got around those after all, as some very astute fishies discovered for us.

Lovely graphics, good story, excellent HOS and a wonderful jump feature in the hint button. So nice not to have to trudge back and forward through numerous locations to get to the one I needed. 4.5 hours in length, which is fair in anyone's book. Loved the ending, very well done.

The devs do have to fix the glitches, for future players, of course, but I still think it was very worthwhile and a terrific game.

Good job.

Go to: