Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Group play for Secrets Can Kill, started June 16th, we welcome more players

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 16, 12 12:55 AM
We are a bunch of LFA games lovers who organize group plays, we have done quite a few already and today we start Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill and you are welcome to it.

Large File games can be hard, confusing and frustrating, but tackling them with a group is really amazing fun! We help each other out and give little hints and pointers and share our experience with the game together. And believe it or not, even getting stuck together is more fun than getting stuck alone.

Rules of groupplay
We don't have any set rules, we just like to have fun with LF games and enjoy playing them in a group. We only ask that you make yourself known, so that we know who our fellow players are. We start a list with all the players on it. Just start your game, pop in here and say hi and you are part of this group and I list you playing. Furthermore we ask to avoid open spoilers, please white them out, everyone likes to make their discoveries at their own pace.

If you don’t know how to white out messages, don’t hesitate to ask, cause I (or someone else) will gladly explain . There are no silly questions and we are a real friendly bunch of fishies, so even if you are totally new to LF games you can join and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask them.

Nancy Drew games start at the center of operation with a small tutorial which can be very helpful if you are new to ND games. Amongst things it teaches you how to save and load a game, cause these types of game do not have autosave. Be sure to read everything at the center of operation

At the bottom of the screen you have 8 icons, 4 to the left and 4 to the right.

The 4 icons to the left
Those are important inside the game and from left to right they show: inventory, journal, task list, and phone .

Things you pick up during the game will go to your inventory and can be used later. Useful information is added to your journal, so it is worthwhile to check it from time to time. If you play junior detective (certainly advisable for new players) you have a handy task list that tells you what you have to do and crosses things of when done, during the game more tasks will be added. And lastly there is the phone, which is very important in any Nancy Drew game: once stuck and you’ve got no clue how to proceed, use it and call someone! Often you get an additional hint this way .

The 4 icons to the right are: the gear gets you to game settings, there you can make some personal adjustments to sound level and the alike The second one shows a folder, this is the icon you use when you reenter the game and want to load a previous saved game The third icon shows a floppy disc, this is the icon you use to save a game, just enter a description you recognize later and you’ve saved your game With the fourth icon you quit the game, this can be handy if you haven’t accomplished a single thing and there is no need to make a new save . If you hit it accidently without saving, you are in luck, cause Nancy Drew games always ask if you are sure you are sure you want to quit without saving. So if you haven’t saved, you can still do so now!

Once you’ve read everything at the center of operation, you pick up the plane ticket and you are on your way ! You will now be presented the choice to play Junior or Senior detective.

Junior or Senior Detective
Senior Detective is a harder mode, puzzles are more difficult and you don’t have a handy task list that tells you what you have to do. There will be people playing in both modes, so whatever you choose, there will always be someone able to help you.

And as with all LF games: be inquisitive, take notes, examine everything, talk to anyone, use your phone and be prepared to get stuck once in awhile, cause that comes with playing LF games . But with the group you have always help, just ask and someone will give you a hint And most important: save often!

Using a walkthrough or UHS
If you want to use a walkthrough that’s fine of course, everybody needs a little extra help once in awhile However, with walkthroughs you often inadvertently get too much information, so to all new players I would like to point out Universal Hint System. I can’t give a link here, but just google the name in combination with the game name and it leads you straight there. UHS gives little hints and there usually are multiple hints to one problem, so you can choose for yourself how much you want to know or need to know .

I don’t have any more pointers just now, but if you have any questions let's hear them.
For now like Nancy, I just say dare to play.

Let the fun begin !

CfG

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

Re:Group play for Secrets Can Kill, started June 16th, we welcome more players

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 16, 12 12:56 AM
Where are you all, I am all alone here.........
O good, others are joining, now I am happy I mean doing a group play solo is a bit of a contradictio in terminis.

Players list
mariannequilts finished
Catfish_girl finished
sunshinej finished
March_Hare finished
popla27 finished
Grandmamum finished
Tailteann playing
gingergal finished
Joyfullady finished
Granny_Fish finished
OvrThRainbo playing

Edited on 06/27/2012 at 3:16:53 AM PST

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 16, 12 3:40 AM
Awwwwwwww.....don't cry CfG. Marianne is here and playing. I have this page bookmarked. I read the tute, grabbed my tickets to play and found the *** safe. ***

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jun 16, 12 4:01 AM
I'm playing too

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 16, 12 4:05 AM
Ohhhhh good, I was sooooo lonely I've already made my first fatal error (repeatedly, before figuring out what to do)

March_Hare
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by March_Hare on Jun 16, 12 4:09 AM
I'm here and happy to be playing. Thanks for firing up the Group Play!

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 16, 12 8:33 AM
Well it's quiet in here today!

popla signing in for some sleuthing I need to download the game still but once I have, I will be heading in. See you in there.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 16, 12 8:45 AM
Well, I've had my fatal error......did it 3 times ! , before I figured out what to do ! But now I'm in school *** decoding the bulletin board. ***

Grandmamum
Clownfish
Clownfish
662 Posts

[Post New]by Grandmamum on Jun 16, 12 9:41 AM
I hope I will be with you all tomorrow. Have caught some horrible sore throat/cough yuk bug and just got up this afty to catch up with everything. Going back to bed soon, so want to start but head is banging.

See you tomorrow - I will feel better.

CFG thank you for the PM info.

GMum xxx

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 16, 12 9:41 AM
@marianne actually it took me many more attemps , I blame sleep deprivation and I am sticking to it

ETA now that I've read popla's post I am not even sure we are talking atbout the same fatal error Mine was in ** Maxine's Diner**

Edited on 06/17/2012 at 2:15:47 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 16, 12 9:43 AM
Feel better Grandmamum
Hope to see you joining us tomorrow.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 16, 12 10:36 AM
Catfish_girl wrote:@marianne actually it took me many more attemps , I blame sleep deprivation and I am sticking to it

Sounds good to me CfG.....Ha-ha !

Right now I am roaming all over the school. I've read umpteen books *** in the library. Broke into Jake's locker. And am still finding more bulletin notes to decode and still talking to students. ***

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Jun 16, 12 12:38 PM
Checking in, will be starting the game soon as I wash the beach off.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jun 16, 12 2:56 PM
Has anyone played barancle blast at Maxine's diner and recoginized the music ** It's from Phantom of Venice. Trying to get the cat suit. **

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 16, 12 2:58 PM
Well I finally got the game downloaded and have been busy snooping! So far I have managed to make a fatal error at the ** school and I'm now busy taking pictures of all the messages on the bulletin boards for later reference. ** Is anyone else finding the school a maze? Once I get in I can't seem to get back out! Anyone else recognise the books in the library?

ETA: Oops, brain like a sieve .... Sorry to hear you aren't well Grandmamum and I hope you are feeling better tomorrow

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 3:00:55 PM PST

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 16, 12 3:14 PM
sunshine....I'm laughing at the music. I did the same thing, clicked on 'audition' and recognized the music. Cute...

popla....Yes, the school is a bit of a maze. I recognized book titles and I really did enjoy reading the books. They were interesting.

I just got my second Fatal Error, a different one. So I have saved and need to read all my notes to try and figure out what to do. I didn't number my note pages, so they're rather confusing.

ETA: I'm going to quit for the night, so will see you all tomorrow.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 3:15:39 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 16, 12 5:30 PM
Haven't started yet (was so tempted last night but felt it would be cheating )
But will be able to play some in a few hours, just checking in.

I opened it up just now, so know I am back in high school and just hope this time it will be a good experience compared to real life.

Noticed no big bottom interface but instead black bars all around. I know I can stretch it width wise but actually prefer the top and bottom black bar to the old green interface.

edit-

The only thing I'd say about the UHS (hint website that catfish girl mentions) is you have to pay for it if you have used up the 60 day free trial (which I did ages ago so they don't show me anything). It's about the price of 2 games here, so if you use it a lot it would be worth it. If money is an issue there is always free walkthroughs on the internet if you google it, although trying to find the bit your in you usually find some spoilers but it's free.

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 9:33:29 PM PST

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jun 16, 12 6:08 PM
Opps - forgot to say I'm playing Senior Detective - hmmmm; no To Do List - ok but no Ned either ! I must have decoded something right - I have two Easter Eggs. To make it easier I - *took pictures of the boards and clues .

Edited on 06/16/2012 at 6:13:43 PM PST

Granny_Fish
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by Granny_Fish on Jun 16, 12 6:23 PM
Checking in and HOPING I will be able to play. My keybpard died and I'm using a USB keyboard. Then the right mouse button quit. Am trying to play with the scroll wheel set to act as a right mouse button. I think I will have to reformat, reinstall, etc. and see if that fixes things. Sigh... So now you know why I disappeared from the group play. Will try to play on my own and visit the Forum for hints you folks left. I DID finish From Labrador to Madagascar. YAY! ME!!. Got hooked on the story and ordered Lost Sword of Toledo. Masochist me! And now, gonna see if I can get along with Nancy.

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jun 16, 12 7:55 PM
Granny - hope you get the keyboard and mouse back soon! Maybe a reboot or reinstall will work. If it's the keyboard - check out a pawn shop - ours has them by the dozens for $5 and if doesn't work they'll trade it in.

Go to: