bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Big Kahuna Reef 3

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 18, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Big Kahuna Reef 3? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Big Kahuna Reef 3 page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Big Kahuna Reef 3

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 18, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 18, 12 1:03 AM
Good morning, fishies...

The very first "Big Kahuna Reef" game was my very first M3 game, and I loved it. What am I saying... I was obsessed with it. Even downloaded loads more scenes from a site that kept making new ones all the time.

Anyway... this game is a bit of a disappointment to me. First of all, I am a tad disappointed in the graphics. It looks as if nothing has changed from 4 years ago.
Secondly, after a very short time, I found it a little boring.

You can choose between Relaxed and Timed mode.

You only have a custom cursor.

Game does not come in widescreen (not on my laptop, anyway).

You can choose between Music, Waves, or none of it.

You can unlock different aquariums and fill them with fishies and feed them.

You can unlock different talismans (power-ups).

That's it. Happy Monday, everyone.

slimjims36
Clownfish
Clownfish
526 Posts

[Post New]by slimjims36 on Jun 18, 12 1:33 AM
gotta go with you on that one valdy i still like the first one the best

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jun 18, 12 1:35 AM
Was thrilled to see this game today. Loved the others, and think this on par with them. Lots to do; building your reef, extra mini games, relaxed mode and new power ups.
The trial hour flew by...

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jun 18, 12 2:36 AM
Thrilled once my misery died down a bit. I'm sure my neighbors heard me yell ohhh nooo when I saw this at midnight. Too late to get it on the bogo sale. I had spent literally all day Sunday doing demos of M3s trying to find just one quality M3 with a timer option. Last minute for my freebie I took a pretty nice one, widescreen, untimed, but dragging chains (prefer swap) and building.

Downloaded BKR3 and the hour went fast as I was saying Oh Yes!! BKR1 was my first M3 years ago and with all the bonus puzzles and online extras and forum help on toughies I got more mileage out of that game than any on my record. And had a love affair with BKR2 Chains (altho not chain play, swaps).

The graphics are always so pleasing to the eye, restful aquariums to add fish to. And now we have points (cash) to buy stuff, food, etc. And nifty powerups as we progress. I got up to L10 and unlocked more. The music was the same as the first one which I recall having to snuff it finally, it never changed, but is playful. I felt at home hearing it again, music to my ears, really LOL, left it play the hour.

I can't wait to explore further, it gets more challenging like the others, and cascades to unlock when you find the one magic tile to set them off. Bombs like BKR2, a combo of those plus features another "fishy" one has, but not cartoony. I like the new scissors to cut through nets locking tiles and we still have the net to use by gaining tiles to recharge it.

It's a pretty big file for M3, my laptop handles it beautifully although it isn't wide screen graphics, backgrounds etc like a few other new M3s. I'll have to forgive that just like welcoming an old friend, not the time to point out flaws. But that's the only wee one I can find. Wouldn't want the grids wide anyway, like someone else said on a forum it would be like watching a tennis match. Grids are very changeable and challenging, not your boring squares, and new tiles are fun to discover as you get different ones.

Now, if I buy this today (and I have a pcc ready and waiting for one more SE) I'd never get back to the one I just bought that took me a day and 8 demos to settle on. But I can't just let an old friend that was a good companion on so many lonely nights just sit out there in the cold. That happy music is still playing in my head so I guess I must get it now to shut it off LOL.

Sorry for others' disappointment, but stay tuned to forums, it may just get better and better after the first hour.

Edited on 06/18/2012 at 2:39:13 AM PST

Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by Jixio on Jun 18, 12 5:30 AM

Edited on 06/18/2012 at 6:05:27 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 18, 12 6:59 AM
My biggest disappointment is that after all this time they still haven't improved the "drop" action of the board. It remains stilted (giving that 'row by row' drop feel) instead of smooth and fast drop.

Because of this, to me it remains a somewhat fun Match 3, but will never be a great Match 3. One that I will play as a 'tweener' but not as serious Match 3 play because it's just not fast enough.

The game has something for everyone who likes swap Match 3 play: timed and untimed modes, powerups, fish tanks, mini-games, challenge mode, etc. If you liked the first 2, you'll like this one as well. The boards are very similar (if not identical), but there are some new power-ups, you can still make bombs, you earn cash to purchase items, on some boards you will have to cut nets to let the items drop, plus other new things.

So I suggest you give it a try and see what you think. If you like swap Match 3 play, I think you'll like it.

Edited on 06/18/2012 at 10:37:21 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 18, 12 7:11 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 1:32:17 AM PST

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Jun 18, 12 7:12 AM

I played the entire hour intentionally using timed mode. Graphics are outstanding and background sounds non-abrasive. Pleasant wave sounds. If you have the earlier versions this may be a disappointment. I made it to level 11 without any effort. Usual choice of fish, food and reef changes as you desire. Power-up unlocked at level 10.
Definitely give the Demo a try.
This will be a pass for me because I have previous versions. I'll wait until it comes up as a DD and even then I may pass due to the redundancy.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 18, 12 7:13 AM
I may be the minority here but I really liked this It has a lot going on and you are given many choices of things to earn for your reef. I have played other games along this line and when you buy what you want it is placed where devs want it. At least in this you can move your decor to where you like it

The actual M3 board changes each play so you arent bored with the same time after time. You earn power ups I always forget they are there and finish the board without them.

For M3s I really enjoyed this! Give it a try.

[Post New]by Prairie_Belle on Jun 18, 12 7:35 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 1:35:17 AM PST

heidsterr
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by heidsterr on Jun 18, 12 7:58 AM
So very disappointed. BKR v1 and v2 are my favorite games ever. Have played them for countless hours, downloading new user-created boards/games.

When I saw "3" was out I got SO excited.

I've played for about 10 minutes and to me it seems like a prequel. Graphics are worse than v1 or 2; movement is worse. I'm so bummed.

Like I said on my page review, though, I will try my best to get used to it because I do love the game that much. Hopefully there will be user-created levels/boards and maybe once I get past the first 10 levels or so, the symbols on the board will change and I might even be able to tell them apart. *sigh*

~H

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jun 18, 12 9:03 AM
Another kids game. [Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 1:36:23 AM PST

maziemom
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by maziemom on Jun 18, 12 9:04 AM
I love a good match 3, but this one was slow and jerky on my computer.

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Jun 18, 12 9:06 AM
When I logged on this morning, BKR3 put a smile on my face and I bought it immediately!! Or as soon as the first few minutes of trial showed no tech problems between the new version and my computer. (After a disasterous weekend of errors I am now grateful for non complicated 'small favors'.)

I have all of the BKR games and love them. This one has a few changes and additions, and that is enough to make me a very happy camper. As always the colors are cheerful, and the sound is good.....except the explosions tend to get louder the more bombs you set off together. heh heh heh

The graphics are a bit more sophisticated and smooth, while still retaining good color depth and keeping the tone uplifting. For me a game should make me feel better while and after playing it, and the color clarity is still lovely and enjoyable.

It only took a few minutes before the relaxed untimed mode was available. That is a must for me and now I have two games in one. Plus I can decorate my reef as I go along (love that) and have the challenge of purchasing fish and decorations instead of having them automatically chosen for me. Very happy with that option so far.

ETA......Also it opened up into wide screen immediately for me, and the screen looks great. Love the ocean waves and and music choices too.

This game is similar enough to satisfy a died in the wool BKR lover, and just different enough to keep me hoping and looking forward to the next surprise. Really enjoy this series and look forward to many enjoyable hours of play.

Was thirsting for a new 'single coupon/credit' game since I had problems with the SUMMER sale this past weekend and even though the sale took one of my coupons, it wouldn't download, install and activate my free game -- even after almost 2 days now.

No problems with this one however.

A good match 3 in a series like this, has a lot to live up to, and imho it did not disappoint on any level.

Edited on 06/18/2012 at 9:12:09 AM PST

[Post New]by beaderbabs on Jun 18, 12 9:21 AM
I am so hooked on BK2 and couldn't wait to play this one . I love the new screens and think they are better than 2. My one disappointment was how slow and jerky this game was. I've tried deleting other games thinking that was my problem but it didn't help. I bought the game anyway and will continue to play it.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Jun 18, 12 9:45 AM
Disappointing. The score screens, etc., are bright and crisp and high def, but the game play itself is just the same old same old. Feels outdated, with fuzzy graphics and tired sounds. (And I was a big fan of the originals.)

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jun 18, 12 9:45 AM

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 3:38:51 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 18, 12 11:02 AM
I really can't seem to get into the game. I have the first one and at that time, I was into Match 3 but not so much later. Guess it's a matter of taste.

Go to: