bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 20, 12 12:42 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 20, 12 12:42 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 20, 12 2:04 AM
Good morning, fishies...

The review is based on the trial version, which I played in Casual mode.

The game starts right away, and you will have to go back to the Main Menu to add your name and change things in the Option section.

This game has 6 chapters.

There are different kinds of Awards.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over. However, it's in combination with the music slider.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are frequent, but not too frequent.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, is at the right, and refills in 25 seconds in Easy mode.

There is no Journal, there is no Map.

The graphics look OK, but could have been better.

Puzzles can be skipped, and those I came across were rather fun and easy. The SKIP button fills within 45 seconds in Easy mode.

I would advise to keep the tutorial off. Unless you have never played a HOG, you really don't need it.

--- --- ---

When I demoed the CE trial, I didn't like this game at all. Not very exciting and the graphics are on the rough side. However, after having played the SE demo, I seem to have changed my mind. I am still not thrown off my chair with excitement, but the graphics don't appear to be as bad as I remembered, and I quite like the gameplay, so I decided to buy this game.

--- --- ---

Forgot to mention that there are 40 haunted souls to be found. They are ghost-like faces you find all over the place.
There seems to be a face in each scene. But you have to watch: they fade away and then come back. So make sure you don't miss them.

Edited on 06/20/2012 at 8:43:26 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 20, 12 2:45 AM
Was paddling by and just remembered that this game has been released previously as a Collector's Edition! (I played that version, how could I forget! )

In case it may help, I will link to the reviews for the CE version here.

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 20, 12 3:33 AM
I bought the game right away, The graphics was nice and the sounds was awesome Good Job DEV's keep up the good work, Thank you for all your hard work on this game..Kuddo's to BF and thank you BIG Fish for the love you show the fishes in the pond with awesome games..

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 20, 12 5:10 AM
I passed on the CE version of this, Not because I didn't want it but I can't buy Every CE without going broke

Valdy left a great, and in my opinion, accurate review so I don't need to repeat.

This is a buy for me today Actually am rather excited to get home tonite and play after all the bad games I've chosen lately

Wishing everyone a great day!!

josie41132
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by josie41132 on Jun 20, 12 8:56 AM
Pretty much a hog. But I was wondering if this was game that was suppose to be offered as a DE, was released as a CE and now is this the SE. Can someone clear that up for me. Because I think I already played it and purchased it on another site. Sorry bfg. It was an act of retalation.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 20, 12 11:44 AM
Wow. I don't remember playing the CE. I did have notes saying I didn't like it but when I started playing don't remember any of the story. Well I do like this and will buy it. It's looking for lost souls and they each want something. So far I like the HOG's and puzzles. Don't know what happened, but it's like playing a new game? Give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Silvia_B
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Silvia_B on Jun 20, 12 6:16 PM
I just finished the demo. It had me from the beginner. I thank the reviewer who explained how to get your player name & turn down the sound. Only thing I didn't like is, I don't like the voice to be tied into the music. I usually always turn the music down so then the voices are too low. The graphics were wonderful, wide screen appreciated. The story simply was so interesting that the 60 minutes went by so fast. Also some of the comments in the dialogue was too funny. I hope that people demo this one. It's very cool! Also, the mini puzzle to open the lighthouse was a bit strange. I understood what to do but only one locked connected ??? so because it was a demo, I skipped it. I use hints quicker when I do the demo because I want to see as much as I can with the hour demo.

Silvia

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 21, 12 7:29 AM
I really enjoyed this game. Mini puzzles were fun and not so hard that you spent forever on them or needed to skip, however the skip button is about 30 seconds. There are plenty of HOS for those who like them but they can be tricky as some of them are shady and you will need to find objects under some dust, etc. The HINT button recharges quickly. The only down side is it is another one of those "There is nothing to do here now" type of hints.

Music seems to be on a loop so it will shut off and restart...wierd. Voice overs are very low volumne so you turn up your speakers to hear and then get blasted out when the rest of the game starts up again. I just read the dialog and moved on.

The game moves along well and the story is adequate. Took me just under 3 hours so not a real long game. No journal or map so you have to remember what things look like and where they are. Some jumping around, but not much; once the story progresses to a new scene, the action pretty much stays there with only an occssional jump back.

Ending is good, at least things are tied up and you are not left stranded like so many games seem to do now hoping for a followup game. Definately worth the money and I give it a 4.5 . Apparently there are some "lost souls" hidden about....I only found about 2 accidentally, but they make no difference in the game play.

PS: you won't need to use a strategy guide or even the walkthrough....

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Jun 21, 12 8:47 AM

Edited on 06/24/2012 at 3:25:18 AM PST

jessmom01
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jessmom01 on Jun 21, 12 6:35 PM
(imo, based on demo) - This started pretty slow for me. The game initially came up in a window, then transitioned to full screen, sort of - with a black bar across the top of the screen. First time that's ever happened for me, & maybe a resolution adjust will fix it, i don't know. The intro scene of crashing my plane was just flat, but as soon as i got out of the plane it was a different world of enthralling graphix, which i think look great. I really like the atmosphere attained by the combination of art, lonely sea sounds, & the real sense of being stranded alone on this haunted, unmapped, ghost inhabited island. The music could have been left out tho - it doesn't enhance the feel of the game, & cuts out noticably. Transition between scenes is sluggish, which is a bit irritating for me, but i've seen worse. HOscenes are junk pile & some items are pretty tough to see. No map or journal. Hints are simplistic, ie: "Theres nothing to do here now". There are achievements, and (*possible spoiler*) there are haunted souls to find throughout the game, but keep your eyes peeled 'cause they're blended into the surroundings well & appear as ghostly faces, which i found quite by accident. I've not heard of this dev, but wouldn't be surprised if they're pretty new to casual games, since the whole thing does feel a bit rough. However, it's a worthy effort on their part, & i'd look for more & better offerings in the future. I'm finding this ghost story enticing enough to keep playing, & am further drawn in by the presentation of the ghosts themselves, which are quite well done, with very good voice acting. I missed the CE of this somehow, but don't think i'd go there regardless because the game isn't as smooth as a CE should be. But overall the SE seems good, with ghosts, hauntings, nice artwork, & a decent story, & i foresee good stuff yet to come beyond the demo time. I'd recommend giving it a try if you like ghost stories & spooky places to roam. I do, so i'm going to go press Buy Now & save some lost souls. Have fun gaming, folks!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 21, 12 7:35 PM
I bought the SE after playing the demo and quite liked it. It took me about 3 hrs 40 minutes to finish. Long enough to hold my interest but not too long. The HOS are tricky. I never completed one before throwing in the towel and using the hint button, a few times more than once. <grin> Occasionally I found things by simply clicking randomly There doesn't seem to be an overclick penalty. I appreciated that the hint went directly to the object and encircled it without doing the swirly thing!

Some of the objects are extremely small and well-hidden in murky scenes. I would hope next time the devs would take pity on those of us who are playing on laptops!

The ending didn't come too soon or abruptly, but it never resolved how I got off the island <shrug> but not important really.

Probably a 3+ for me. I'd give it a 4+ but for the murky HOS, tiny objects and loopy music..

PS: I did find a haunted soul quite by accident which came as a total surprise. I never bothered to look for any more, but apparently there are 40 of them.

Edited on 07/09/2013 at 9:57:12 PM PST

Fifiluna614
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Fifiluna614 on Jun 22, 12 4:10 PM
The hidden object scenes are awful in this game. Why do the developers think it necessary to make objects so faint that they can't be seen? They are also guilty of hiding things behind other things so that only an edge can be seen, and expect you to recognize an object by just this little bit. Otherwise, the game is a lot of fun to play. The story is interesting, the gameplay is logical, and the mini-games are original and fun to work. But if the quality of hidden object scenes is important to you, then give this one a pass.

bt1151
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by bt1151 on Jun 23, 12 8:35 PM
This is one of the few games I've marked "buy" in a while. I thought the HOS were very good. I enjoy the hand-drawn graphics and not having the items handed to me on a platter. Some items were tricky but definitely fair.
The transition from scene to scene was very smooth (the last game I tried almost made me sea-sick and I don't get sea-sick!).
I demoed it in the harder mode (like I always do) and didn't find it particularly challenging but it held my attention. The only thing I'm concerned about is the length that some reviewers have mentioned.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Jun 24, 12 1:43 PM

This game has so much potential but it misses out some important things. The story is OK and the ending is satisfactory which is nice.

BUT:
* There's no notebook that remembers clues so you have to make notes by hand - a pest.
* There's no map, not even a passive one, so you have to remember where you are or wander around trying to remember where you wanted to go. Of course, this is common in a lot of games and it's always irritating.
* The puzzles have the worst "instructions" I've ever seen in a game, in that they are almost completely lacking. I like a bit of a challenge but please, at least tell me what I'm supposed to do!
* The H0 scenes are pretty ordinary, and in some of them the picture is so foggy or dusty or whatever that I had to use Hint and even then I couldn't really see what I was looking for, I just clicked where the game told me to. I have a new computer and top-line monitor so it's not my interface. I don't mind things that are fairly hidden, but virtually invisible sucks.

All-in-all, it's an OK game, but use a coupon, don't spend money.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 17, 12 9:45 PM
overall an enjoyable game, some of the h.o.'s are a bit obscure, going up and down in the elevator got tired quickly and an interactive map would have been nice,
but it was a good length, appropriate music, hint refilled quickly and held my attention.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jul 25, 12 9:47 AM
I liked this game. It had lot's of fun puzzles and HOS. Good graphics.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Aug 6, 12 4:24 AM
I liked the game and enjoyed playing it. It had a good story and the ending was a proper ending. The built in game clock said I took 7 hours & 20 minutes so the length was decent too or I just played very slowly. I did try to take some time to find the hidden faces and only found 28 out of 40 and I got most of the awards with one of them being that I played the game every day for a week straight. That's a new one on me.
In conclusion I'm glad I played and was very satisfied with the SE version.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Sep 10, 12 11:05 AM
This looks like such a neat game - great graphics, interesting beginning, non-irritating music/sound effects. After it loaded and I saw the opening animation, I recognized it from the demo of the CE edition that I had played a few months ago. An HO scene popped right up, I started to play - and remembered why I hadn't finished the CE demo.

I am playing on a fairly new Mac which has not given me too many problems since I bought it. It has a very sensitive and efficient mouse pad... until I encountered this game.

It probably took 3 or 4 (sometimes more) heavy pokes on the mouse pad for each object on the HO list. Thud, thud, thud. Why is this game so user-unfriendly for Mac users? Has anyone else had this issue? In the original demo I was motivated enough to get to the lighthouse island before my fingers gave out. This time around, with the SE, I didn't even finish the first HO scene. One or two other games have given me the same problem, but never to this degree. Most of the other BF games I've purchased since owning the Mac were totally easy to navigate around.

This game won't be a purchase for me.

Go to: