thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

Why the star system?

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Jun 23, 12 10:29 PM
I don't understand why, when I can have thousands of dollars left at the end of a level, they just get wasted if I haven't spent up on soldiers and weapons in the game. Why use the star system at all and just upgrade with remaining money? Or if you stick with the star system, why can't you use money to buy stars, like you use stars to buy hearts and money? It's frustrating to have plenty of money but no stars to buy more hearts.

wxman77477
Clownfish
Clownfish
557 Posts

Re:Why the star system?

[Post New]by wxman77477 on Jun 24, 12 12:48 PM
I agree, it seem like you should be able to spend $’s for “Stars” or “Hearts” at the end of the level.
But more importantly, when you do poorly on a level and want to restart it you have lost all “Stars” spend on that level. Therefore, to really do better, you must restart from Level 1. Most strategy games if you want to restart a level, you start with all points as it originally was the first time thru that level. You never know what is going to be thrown at you as you progress thru a level until you have gone thru it once.

thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Jun 28, 12 8:57 PM
There should be more stars easily available as this game is too hard without being able to update when you want and need to. It makes it more frustrating than fun when the games get harder but you cannot update your weapons. I think this will put off a lot of players. Please next time allow us to buy stars with money or omit the star system altogether.

Also it is annoying to have to wait for a certain number of 'kills' before the soldiers can be promoted.

Otherwise I did enjoy the overall gameplay.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 29, 12 6:56 AM
Hi All!

I don't know if you're familiar with the Farm Frenzy Game Series, they're also from Melesta Games.

Just a quick background on the game, I promise, its relevant to the question

Farm Frenzy is a popular Time Management/Resource Management game of theirs where you are given certain goals for each level; it could be products, produce from animals, or a money goal. At the start, you'll have a warehouse to store your goods, a truck to sell goods to town, a plane to buy ingredients/things needed for certain products. Once you've finished a level, you are awarded stars depending on how well you did with the level. Get the gold & you get more stars. You use these stars to buy the "building blueprints" or the "upgrades;" for example, use 100 stars to buy the blueprint for a bigger warehouse.

Once you start another level after buying the upgrade, you can see that its already available, but you need to buy it first, this time with the money you earn while playing the level. So, even though you've used your stars to buy the blueprints/upgrades in the shop, once in the game, you still need to buy them, this time with money. The upgrades won't be available for sale on the level unless you buy them first from the shop.

So I guess they're sticking to their tried & true formula. Here you'll be using your stars to buy their training(?) I guess, instead of the blueprints for the buildings. The only difference is, you still earn the stars when you replay levels on Farm Frenzy, whereas here, you only earn them once.

As for the waiting for a certain number of "kills," I've seen this in several tower defense games, they need to gain experience first before they can be promoted

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Jun 30, 12 5:10 PM
I'd be fine with the star system if, like Farm Frenzy, you could earn stars by replaying a level. It looks like you can earn some stars by playing a level and getting a passing score, then earn more if you get a gold star.

Okay, now that I actually got gold on a level that I got "blue" on before--you get some of the stars for getting blue, you get the rest of the stars when you get gold so no extra stars available that way

Edited on 07/01/2012 at 8:49:27 PM PST

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jul 3, 12 10:35 AM
My brother plays Toy Defense on his iPad; the game is free, but there's an in-app option where you can buy stars.

$0.99 for 500

$2.99 for 2000

$4.99 for 5000

Since you can buy more s & money during the game using your s, if you still earn them everytime you replay a level, it would probably make the game too easy.

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Jul 3, 12 4:48 PM
amby0625 wrote:My brother plays Toy Defense on his iPad; the game is free, but there's an in-app option where you can buy stars.

$0.99 for 500

$2.99 for 2000

$4.99 for 5000

Since you can buy more s & money during the game using your s, if you still earn them everytime you replay a level, it would probably make the game too easy.

Then this whole impossible star system makes sense--they didn't alter the game much (if at all) for PC. As an Ipad game, they make money with people buying stars out of sheer frustration with the expensive and questionable upgrades. Here, we're just stuck with the frustration!!!!

Edited on 07/03/2012 at 4:48:55 PM PST

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jul 3, 12 10:12 PM
peutetre wrote:Then this whole impossible star system makes sense--they didn't alter the game much (if at all) for PC. As an Ipad game, they make money with people buying stars out of sheer frustration with the expensive and questionable upgrades. Here, we're just stuck with the frustration!!!!

I know, right? My brother told me last night during dinner that for rating the game on the iPad, he was given free s!

Now, why can't they do that for the PC version???

The irony is, the game (according to my brother) isn't all that hard at all on the iPad. We tend to compete with each other especially for games, so it sucks that he's gotten all gold on the first try playing the game whereas I have had to replay levels

But he's never reached my flags on Plants vs. Zombies for survival endless, so we're even, lol!

[Post New]by blillulu1112 on Jul 8, 12 4:56 AM
because at the start of every level u click on th4e heart in lefrt corner and u can trade stars for more start money so 20 stars get u 250 in start cash at begining of level

thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Jul 9, 12 12:36 AM
I am so behind that I may just give up. I cannot upgrade the weapons I need to beat the higher levels because I cannot get enough stars. So I don't have the better men and weapons to complete any more battles. It's a vicious circle. I have tried going back to win stars but I cannot make enough. Very frustrating to read the iPad games make it easier for the player than the PC game does.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jul 9, 12 10:50 PM
thecaptain777 wrote:I am so behind that I may just give up. I cannot upgrade the weapons I need to beat the higher levels because I cannot get enough stars. So I don't have the better men and weapons to complete any more battles. It's a vicious circle. I have tried going back to win stars but I cannot make enough. Very frustrating to read the iPad games make it easier for the player than the PC game does.

Oh no captain, don't give up. I myself gave up awhile ago, but when I read that others have gotten all gold, it gave me hope. If they can do it, so can we Besides, we also "gain experience" from playing the game, so it will get easier. I've learned to make do with low level riflemen, flamethrowers & ack-acks & focus my power on the cannons.

But it is frustrating that the game is way, waaay easier on the iPad compared to the PC version

thecaptain777
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by thecaptain777 on Jul 11, 12 11:48 PM
It sucks so bad that when you replay a game a few times to get more stars, you end up losing them instead. This game is like one step forward, three steps back and it's so frustrating. That's why I am giving up!

Go to: