Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD June 24 2012

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Jun 24, 12 12:05 AM
Any comments fishes?

Re:Todays DD June 24 2012

[Post New]by Barbara2001 on Jun 24, 12 12:46 AM
I can't get it to run. Either it doen't like my computer or it is so slow loading (without saying so).

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Jun 24, 12 7:13 AM
Sorry folks, this game lost my interest in the first 5-10 minutes - that is to say after attempting to sit though the cut scenes, which felt dragged out too long. Yes, one can skip or fast click through the dialogue, but I’m one for giving it a go on all games, hour demo or not. My second and immediate dislike was the annoying noise that accompanied every click on the hand icon other than those that accomplished an action. I’m all for forgiving the odd discrepancy in the story line, poor English and labeling, but this game takes the cake. Apparently this protective mother doesn’t seem concerned that she cannot awaken her child’s daycare worker who is sleeping in a beat-up broken spring infested chair that would pose a threat to any adult, never mind child, or that she tracks her daughter’s supposed location to a closed attic that one has to search for the means to lower the stairs to access. Clicking on the grandfather clock elicits the response “ I used to hide here a lot when I was a child.” Maybe I missed something by skipping the dialogue, but was she actually raised in the same daycare? When I opened the fridge and clicked on the object beside the frozen can of sardines I received the response “This spoon is good for opening cans too.” What the heck? Turns out that the response is when you click on the utensil stand on the kitchen counter, which happens to be positioned under that package in the freezer, but on the main screen. It should have nothing to do with working in the zoom-in action window. I have never had that happen in any other game. I didn’t miss the obvious either…a spoon to open cans?? And no this wasn’t the case of a mis-labeled item…it was a spoon. On the surface of the upstairs hallway table is a handle for a drawer. Clicking on it does not collect the item. Instead you are told, “this drawer seems to be missing a handle” You get no response at all when you do actually click on the drawers. Is this a long game? Maybe, but right about now for me it’s game over

sunloving
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by sunloving on Jun 24, 12 11:43 AM
Unlike several reviewers, I actually love the quirky graphics. I would rather see some artistic talent than using real people like some games have. Much more creative. While I don't especially care for the storyline premise (anything that involves child endangerment or abuse is a real taboo for me), I do understand that it is a game and I will treat it as such. Could it be any worse than Return to Ravenhurst which involves some pretty nasty, gross stuff?

Music and voiceovers are not important to me nor do they add much to my playing enjoyment, so I won't comment on them. The HO scenes so far are clear without too many junkpile objects placed in odd places. The one minigame was an easy one.

Unfortunately I can't get past the scene where I need to open the attic. My pieces won't combine even though I place them in the lower box. I've posted this in the technical issues forum hoping to get an answer today. Otherwise I won't be able to buy the DD as I can't buy a game with a technical issue so early in the game.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Jun 24, 12 1:33 PM
A good adventure game, surprisingly high quality, reminds me of the old-school adventures in terms of its storyline being far better than we usually see in i-hogs. Also, tasks are way more about using what we've seen in the env't (but not been able to pick up until needed) to solve problems than about doing doorlock puzzles & hos after hos.

Game has fewer hos than the average i-hog. Hos are quite fine, nicely drawn, decent-sized objects. Overall graphics are artlike, looking hand-drawn, which I really like. Cutscenes advance the story & they're well done too. Characters & plot are very interesting to me, good story, rather like a book in fact.

Nice mix of puzzles, some easy, most medium, a few unique.
Definitely game's focus is on exploring & thinking logically about how to use what we've seen lying around to make progress. Devs do a great job of of setting a creepy atmoshpere & tossing in scary effects too. Good music & ambient sounds in general.

I was never bored, pretty much riveted to the screen for the whole game. A nice plot twist happens & there's even a Bonus chapter. Truly these devs built the game for the story IMHO.
I did have occasional issues of laggy cursor & sound cutting out a few times, but scenes can be replayed from the menu & sound works ok from there.

Easily a solid to me, definitely recommended, esp for adventure gamers. I'm hoping to see more games from this dev!

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Jun 24, 12 1:54 PM
I think Silent Scream is the appropriate title. Tedious to the max!! Could have been good but all of the back and forth with no rhyme or reason makes me want to scream.

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Jun 24, 12 2:08 PM
I played most of the demo in "expert" mode and think that for $2.99 this is a deal. It takes some time getting used to the facts that (1) the hand shows up when you look at things and not just when you can pick something up, (2) you can't go around picking up things that you're SURE you'll need later, (3) you can grab things only just prior to when you'll be using them (BIG TIP for playing the game!), (4) parent or not, you'll very quickly want to strangle the missing child crying "Mommy"! It's very linear; you aren't allowed to do things out of sequence, or so the 1st hour indicates. Oh, and you pick your playing level when you enter your name. It isn't available under Options. There are still some minor sparklies (definitely a good thing in this case) even in Expert mode. The HOs are junk pile and not easy so, if you have eye trouble, probably best skip this one. The mini games, the two I ran into during the demo time, are pretty standard and seem to run from easy to hair tear. As Janie42 says, this seems more like an adventure game that a straight hid obj.

It's a good thing it's done with drawn graphics because, if I were picking my kid up for daycare and found the attendant zonked out in a chair in front of the TV, I'd have slapped her silly and asked questions later. Also the kid who might know where the daughter is but who wants her doll, which is missing an eye so, naturally, you have to find and replace the eye 1st - not gonna happen in the real world. Not any more than opening a can with a spoon (little spoiler there), but it's a game and the hand drawn graphic help to keep things in perspective. I thought the demo time well worth spending the DD price even if it does mess up my punch card count. I just hope the kid isn't crying "Mommy" past the 1st scene!

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Jun 24, 12 7:54 PM
I'm on the fence with this one. The cut scenes are just dragged out too long. I felt like I was using up half my demo time and I wanted to get on with the game. With the sound up to the max I could still barely hear the voice. A kid crying "mommy"? I guess I should be glad I missed that one. I don't have to adjust my volume for other games, why this one?

It's a lot of back and forth but to me that's better than having a pile of inventory I don't know how to use. Some of the objects are very hard to see and I had to use a hint more than I normally do. The first related objects scene was a killer.

The story is pretty oogie; I got the creeps just thinking about a daycare with the caregiver sound asleep and kids locked in the attic in the dark, no less.

On the up side, the hints are helpful and it's got some different things to do. Even considering the creepiness it may be worth buying at the DD price just because in some respects it's a little different from other games.

Go to: