peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Comments for Infected: The Twin Vaccine Collectors Edition

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 24, 12 1:43 AM
I had fun playing a beta of this. A lot of us will find it slightly different.

Looking forward to reading everyones comments. Have a great day and happy gaming.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

Re:Comments for Infected: The Twin Vaccine Collectors Edition

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 24, 12 2:03 AM
A very serious and grim story. No fairies, ghosts or magic in this one, just stark reality. I wish the graphics were a little more to my liking but it does have to look like a disaster area, so I can make allowances. My main problem with it is the HOS. Very hard to make the objects out. Have to use the hint a lot. Fortunately the hint is very fast charging, as is the skip. Navigation is good, no lagging in this one for me. Hooray.

I think it will be a long and intense game and not for the faint-hearted. I have enjoyed the demo, for the most part, so I bought. Just hope I don't become fed up with the look of the game.

Time will tell.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 24, 12 2:26 AM

I was very excited by the interesting subject so I tried it on the devs site but the I thought the gameplay was kind of clunky so, I didn't pursue it further.

Now that its on BFG, I'll give it another look...

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jun 24, 12 2:45 AM
When I play games it is to avoid reality. This new game I am not going to buy, it is a topic that can become a gruesome reality any day. I would rather play other games where I can avoid reality and have fun. This is just my opinion but this game holds no interest to me at all.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 24, 12 4:00 AM

Since this is set somewhat in reality - or a possible reality - I expected more real world logic to the gameplay.

Most of the demo is so illogical that I just can't get into it.

Why are so many things buried for no particular reason? Why would I know to pry the railroad symbol off the train after just getting off a train..and what was the tractor key doing in that compartment behind it? Just so many instances of no groundwork for any of the crazy actions.

Not a buy for me.....too bad, because it could have been a good game.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jun 24, 12 4:02 AM
jkuci wrote:
Since this is set somewhat in reality - or a possible reality - I expected more real world logic to the gameplay.

Most of the demo is so illogical that I just can't get into it.

Why are so many things buried for no particular reason? Why would I know to pry the railroad symbol off the train after just getting off a train..and what was the tractor key doing in that compartment behind it? Just so many instances of no groundwork for any of the crazy actions.

Not a buy for me.....too bad, because it could have been a good game.

I agree - has great potential but far too dreary for me to buy.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jun 24, 12 4:05 AM
Well this is one game that I thought I really wouldn't like but decided to try the demo and I'm so glad I did this game is great it has some really cool set up features and the game play itself is really cool very interactive. The story is very realistic and can be disturbing but nevertheless it pulled me in from the get go and I wasn't expecting to like the game at all. Everything you look for and find has a purpose although some of the graphics are a little on the rough side in the search scenes but I just chalked that up to what is going on with the town everything has gone awry and the town is deserted which to me makes the rougher graphics appeal more now whether or not the dev. was trying to do that I don't know but I think the graphics fit very well with the setting of the game. There aren't many people in town left just a few here and there but I love the homeless dude he is a hoot and his laugh kills me I love running into him he's a hoot. For some reason this game really makes you feel as if your on a mission to save this little girl it's very realistic and that is what pulled me in I took one look at that little girl and said I have got to save this little beauty. The game is really good better than I expected and I'm so glad I decided to try the demo and I bought it as soon as the demo ran out and so far I'm having a blast with it's a very involved game and I think the dev's hit this one dead on. Thank you dev's and Big Fish for this great game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jun 24, 12 4:43 AM
plushmoon wrote:Well, this could have been a nice little game, albeit not very challenging, but it's way too short for a CE! In fact, it took me 3 hours to play the whole thing including the bonus chapter which, by the way, seemed to be just an "afterthought", extremely brief and easy.

Moreover, I didn't like the fact that my SG didn't work at all after chapter 2, it got stuck there and no other chapter worked, and neither did the bonus content - although, on the positive side, you don't really need the SG, the game is easy enough... I was also unpleasantly surprised by the language errors ("etymology" is the study of... INSECTS??? Dear oh dear!!!)

And why did the devs change the HOS back to regular non-interactive during the bonus chapter? Were they too bored to create the same type of interesting and fully interactive HOS as in the main game, which were one of the major pluses of the game? This I also find quite unacceptable.

Verdict: yes as an SE, but definitely NOT money well spent on a CE!

Maybe they meant to say "ant-mology".

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jun 24, 12 5:07 AM
Very nice game. A buy for me .
I love that you can customize your game play. Kudo's developers .
Also love how they have done the HOG scenes. Much more fun to play .
The graphics are clear and sharp for me. Sorry to hear some are having difficulty seeing .

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Jun 24, 12 7:47 AM
After playing the demo, I don't think it is worthy of the CE price, but I might buy at SE price. The grainy, junkpile HOS were very hard to decipher. I used the hint button way too much. Takes the fun out of the game when you need to use hints all the time. Other than the HOS, the game looks interesting, if dark and depressing! Too much reality. I like the voiceovers and real looking people, even though some of the objectives seem silly. Might buy some day, depends on how desperate I am. But definitely not at the CE price.

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Jun 24, 12 10:33 AM
For me I really think Big Fish went out of their way to give us full control over the way the game is played and I love that. I appreciate how real the story felt and how interactive the game is. Hope we see more games done this way!

[Post New]by KielaStarcatcher on Jun 24, 12 10:42 AM
I'm still working on the demo... A LOT of HOGs are quasi-dark (really just emo fodder), but this one is truly dark, and I like it that way. Life doesn't always have a happy ending!

Of course, I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic zombie and virus stories, so this is right up my alley. I think I like those stories because it makes me feel better about the world we live in. Things might not be great, but they're not THAT bad! lol

I, too, found the "logic" a bit off. Example: you dig up a buried mailbox flag. (Why?) Then you use the flag to "fix" the mailbox (Why?) so it will open. (Huh??) Inside is an article telling residents to start boiling their water for one minute before drinking it. That's not the only thing in there, but still...

There are a few seriously creepy moments, even just in the first half hour. You will see a video of someone haveing a seizure and dying, and you'll come across dead bodies. Be warned! That stuff adds to the fascination factor for me (I love it - but I'm a morbid fishie! ~_^), but "fun and casual" players might find it a bit much for them.

I suspect I'll buy it, but more because I still have credits burning a hole in my pocket, and everything else I've demoed lately hasn't been the kind of game I'm interested in.

I have no problem with the art, the topic, or the overall style, and the HOGs are at least interesting to solve - not just "here, find all this stuff," and the items aren't too difficult to find. Fortunately, the HOG logic is a little better. When you have to put items together to make something work, the items you have to find do make sense.

One more note about the shoddy logic... it could definitely be worse. I won't name names (although I SHOULD!), but I played a game once where the solution to a problem was to catch a mouse, tie a stick of dynamite to it, light it on fire, and send it into a crack in the wall!!! Oh, yeah. TOTALLY intuitive. I always think of those kinds of solutions in real life... ROFL *sigh*

Edited on 06/24/2012 at 10:45:37 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Jun 24, 12 11:04 AM
This is from the same developer who gave us White Haven Mysteries, Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts and the Princess Isabella series. They've been knocking themselves giving lots of up front options, but the HOS and storyline have been suffering for it I think.

I haven't purchased any of their stuff they've developed in-house for quite awhile. Still waiting for the promised sequel to Voodoo Whisperer LOL.

TAZZ1965
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by TAZZ1965 on Jun 24, 12 12:06 PM
game was fun i enjoyed the interactive HO parts of the game. I am alittle disappointed in the extras of the game. I wish they had HO unlimited like most CE's have, other than that it was really good but short in play

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jun 24, 12 1:57 PM
KielaStarcatcher wrote:

One more note about the shoddy logic... it could definitely be worse. I won't name names (although I SHOULD!), but I played a game once where the solution to a problem was to catch a mouse, tie a stick of dynamite to it, light it on fire, and send it into a crack in the wall!!! Oh, yeah. TOTALLY intuitive. I always think of those kinds of solutions in real life... ROFL *sigh*

That's what's known as a "What would McGuyver do" moment!

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Jun 24, 12 2:12 PM
Infected: The Twin Vaccine Collectors Edition--- what a horrible title. Not sure I want anything with the word "infected" on my computer. LOL

Seriously, after reading the BFG reviews I've decided to wait for the SE because this game has too many flaws. Hopefully they will be fixed by the time the SE comes out.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 24, 12 4:55 PM
I finished this one, after a bunch of interruptions, lol, and even without the SG working I managed to figure out everything. I like the way the bonus play gives the back story, and even though it didn't have the hos interactives, I still enjoyed it. I also liked the video clip of how they did some of the things, and I agree it worked. I loved Carl...he was excellent, and finding out that he was done by an uncle and the voice by a brother was really interesting. Would love to see more of him, as I feel there is a story there and I would love to play it. All in all, it turned out better than I expected. Thanks guys.

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Jun 25, 12 12:52 AM
Well, I made it through the game without the SG but it took me at least 2 hours longer. Enjoyed the game and bonus but I am always looking for a happy story which this difinately was not. Someone mentioned in their post that it reminded them of the "Andromedia Strain" My first thought was Steven King's "The Stand" but only the portion wherein they are dealing with the virus. That book still keeps me awake at night....just one tiny mistake...and we have survival of the fittest with the most guns.

Still would like to have the game fixed and this in my opinion is not normal for GOGII games. I'm sure they will jump on it tomorrow.

Now that I've made it through without the SG I'm going to attempt the harder versions.

Happy gaming.

BTW it filled my 27" screen perfectly so I didn't have a problem with teenie objects. Theses eyes are old and i'm pampering them.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 25, 12 1:39 AM
I am really happy to see that at least 2 peeps (Penny and WolfenRaindancer) enjoyed the game AND the bonus game, because I was thinking of buying the CE, but noticed some negative posts regarding the bonus game. Thanks, guy.

And because I hardly ever use the SG anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with it not working. However, as was said, it should be fixed.

Off to buy the CE.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 25, 12 9:10 AM
I would love to know is the SE plot 100% tied up or is it a TBC?

As at least 3 people mentioned it was about 3hrs for the main game (which even for a SE is too short) there is no way I'm buying this CE version. (btw thank you so much for letting us know how long it took you )

only on 35 mins

I love 28 days/weeks later and all virus movies and LOVE the plot so far. I love the choice of settings (although I am still getting glints on some items and HOs even though it says "glints off") I love that I get no black bar tips unless I click on an item.
How wonderful to custom create your own settings for your game.

I like collecting coins (although don't know what it's for) I love the cutscenes, graphics so so but thankfully it shows you can do a scary movie in daylight and not have that midnight blue colour everywhere that is prevalent in so many games.

But DEV what's the point of giving us a map if it's not a transporter map? You could easily have made it one.

I love that the 3 HO scenes I came across were different and highly interactive. But I only came across 2 puzzles - the rotate rings (could that have been any easier?!! but like the other one, the moving circuit board - I haven't seen that one in a while!) So it's feeling like a lot of HOs and not puzzles in the ratio.
So will buy the SE especially as I have half price credits, so the length aspect won't bother as much.

But thanks DEV for something different - maybe next time make it a normal SE length!

edit - I think some people will be a bit grossed out and thought there would have been some sort of warning for people, spoiler - when I came across a dead body with eyes all dark. It wasn't graphic but I know some won't like it. end

Edited on 06/25/2012 at 9:21:36 AM PST

Go to: