bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 25, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 25, 12 12:40 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jun 25, 12 1:12 AM
well,well,well
what i can say after playing during 25mn
the house is beautiful evey room is well done ,photolike,but the persons are handed drowing and not so beautiful
many,many,many conversasions(and what did you expect from jane austen' s adaptation?)you can play every personage(and there are five daughters!)the hint system is Mr benett who come to help,not a bad idea but a complicated one
you have tasks to do(sewing holes in a dress,finding ingredients for the cooking maid)so far not too strange,but,in 18th century in such a family,thinking one of the daughter might do some iron works on keys!!!!!i gave up!
who has this idea to adapt such a novel?there is nothing to do in this book but find rich husband ,and without the conversations,there is no story!
and now,when i saw Mr darcy drawing,well i gave up and watched again at my BBC pride and prejudice tv show!
Colin Firth is the only Mr Darcy for now and ever,and their drawing looks like just ....Mr Collins.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jun 25, 12 2:03 AM
I really wish a developer would take a book like this and actually make it into a game worth playing. There are a few games like this that have come out where I really wanted to like it as I love the stories but the execution is just not there. In my opinion, if you are going to have lots and lots and lots of dialogue, it should be in voiceover form to make it more engaging or else I feel as though I am just reading a book and Id rather actually read this book than play this game because its what I am doing anyways. The hidden object scenes are terrible. Small items, hidden small items behind things and the font of the items bugs me. Maybe its because its all lower case or because it doesn't show you all of the items at once but scrolls through after you've found some. I think the developers need to go back to the drawing board on this one and make it more engaging, add some voiceovers or at least condensed dialogue and tweak the hidden object scenes. Then maybe, just maybe it will hold my interest a little more..until then...

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 25, 12 2:03 AM
Based on the demo:

To all that wonder when we will get something different, something bright and airy, and something more lighthearted, cheerful, and fun----here you are.

I had rather low expectations for this one, but what a nice surprise! Now to be fair, I must say that I am completely unfamiliar with the novel as I always thought it to be one for the ladies only. Well, maybe the novel is, maybe it's not, but this game can be fun for everyone. It's driven by a good bit of narrative which I don't mind due to the fact that I need to know about the plot, characters, etc. And you can click as fast as you please to get through those parts, anyway.

The graphics are very good, and adding to the color, detail, and beauty is the fact that it opens in widescreen (seeing this more and more )----thanks, devs.

The gameplay is quite different in that you must discover the HOS on your own, and determine how the results of your search are to be used.

The hint system is different and fun involving one of the characters.

Puzzles are good, with at least one requiring you to pay careful attention to the instructions and use the keyboard.

The most important aspect of any game is whether or not it's fun to play, and this is definitely that, so I'm buying it. Kudos to for the free trial, because without it, I might have missed this one. (due to my pride and my prejudice ----sorry, couldn't resist).

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by kpajak on Jun 25, 12 2:47 AM
Hi all, one word for this game....boring.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jun 25, 12 3:52 AM
This game does faithfully follow an abbreviated form of the book as you play; there are a great many cut scenes which are drawings in a sepia hue & various cut out characters pop into the screen. The dialogue is not voiced over but it is clickable if you read fast. The music is a melodic piano; I personally felt something a little more tinkling would have been better but it is not unpleasant to listen to.

Once you move into a main screen then the graphics are crisp & the artwork colourful; each scene has a great many items as the hidden objects are within these main scenes. Some of the items are very small but occasionally there will be a little glint where one is hidden. Click all around a scene as you never know what you might find; a locked door, an item to go into your inventory, etc. Some inventory items can be joined together to create an object that you need to use in a scene.

In addition to the H0s you should also look for scraps of paper which form Lizzie’s diary, once you find the pages of the diary there is a mini task to put the pieces together & then a nicely voiced over reading. Also you will find wax seals, you start the game with 5 hints & you will get an extra one for each seal you find.

It took me a little while to figure out how to move between scenes (when it is allowable) & I had a sort of ‘oh right that’s how you do it’ moment.

It seems there will be a few mini tasks; I found one which was playing piano notes in the correct order but as I only played to the end of the demo I cannot say how many there may be.

This is not a game for me as I prefer my H0s with an adventure & this was too tiresome as I was not in the mood to read through all the dialogue.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 25, 12 4:31 AM
Oh I am having vapours! (Notice the English spellng). Please pass me my smelling salts. Or at least a biscuit and some tea. Well, well, takes me back to high school English class or reminds me of the myriad of films and television shows on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. On the positive side, the graphics are beautiful. The artists have rendered (another great period word) a beautiful game. After yesterday's viral armageddon, I am certain some of the BF audience will see this as a refreshing change. On the negative, I personally could not stand all the dialogue. If I wanted to read the book for the 17th time, I would have got out my Ipad and done so. Geesh! It is almost strictly a HOG game. So, those of you who are missing that type of game will love it! Not for me. Just reminds me too much of English class and the myriad of movies and TV programs about Pride and Prejudice. I would rather go to the beach and read the book than play this game.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jun 25, 12 4:40 AM
There may be a great deal of conversation, but it can all be skipped. The music is okay, but I had to turn it down. The art work is great and there is some challenge to the game. I played the full demo but am on the fence as to whether I should buy or not because there is no skips and it is not clear how to obtain hints even though I managed to acquire 10 hints and never used any. As far as game play goes its mediocre.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Jun 25, 12 5:21 AM
megwoman25 wrote:I really wish a developer would take a book like this and actually make it into a game worth playing. There are a few games like this that have come out where I really wanted to like it as I love the stories but the execution is just not there. In my opinion, if you are going to have lots and lots and lots of dialogue, it should be in voiceover form to make it more engaging or else I feel as though I am just reading a book and Id rather actually read this book than play this game because its what I am doing anyways. The hidden object scenes are terrible. Small items, hidden small items behind things and the font of the items bugs me. Maybe its because its all lower case or because it doesn't show you all of the items at once but scrolls through after you've found some. I think the developers need to go back to the drawing board on this one and make it more engaging, add some voiceovers or at least condensed dialogue and tweak the hidden object scenes. Then maybe, just maybe it will hold my interest a little more..until then...

I will not repeat what megawoman said because it is exactly the way I feel. I lose interest with out voice overs and if I want to read a book I would. This game is a no buy for me. I am so weary of hidden object games like the way this was done. ho hum bored nothing new to play or spend money on.

[Post New]by emmanem2 on Jun 25, 12 5:38 AM
I beta tested this one and did not manage to get through to the end of the trial before opting out of it. It just wasn`t for me, I found it awfully boring, and as has been said before Mr Darcy looked nothing like Colin Firth

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 25, 12 6:25 AM
I always try to find the good in a game but all through this one all I could think is What the hell? I'm sorry but this is not a game for me I guess.

Even though I read at least one book or Novel every week or two I cdertainly don't want to play one. I was going to give up after the first 10 min but decided I had to be more fair than that and played it all.

It does pick up some a bit further in but not enough for me.Try for yourself as always. To each there own I guess.

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Jun 25, 12 6:33 AM
I lasted about five minutes before the tiresomeness of the game casued an onset of ennui to set in.

I was reminded of those children's cardboard theatres of yesteryear. The cut out figures would be inserted onto the stage via long sticks from the wings. The cut out characters in this game looked remarkable similar as they sideways entered.

I was really hoping for something different. Long scenes of truncated text just doesn't cut it. I am guessing this is along the lines of that dreadful Coronations Street game I didn't even bother to download.

I would award this half a star for effort and because I really like Jane Austin books.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 25, 12 7:38 AM
The best I could manage was 30 minutes and I pushed for that
to try to be fair. I got the stretched out look with the black bars
on top and bottom of screen. I found the piano music annoying,
and I hate to totally mute all sound, but there was no slider for
music. Several of Mr. Bennett's hints were: "look closely, I'm
going to show you something". Looked as closely as I could
three times, and yet to see what. Not good when hints are
limited. I usually enjoy dialogue, but even for me this was a
bit too much of trivial conversation; it helped that I could
click through it quickly.

Since I used up most of my hints trying to find the "heart"
in the bedroom, it would be start over to progress and
just can't bring myself to do that. So, it's a no buy for me.

lsteiner
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by lsteiner on Jun 25, 12 7:41 AM
Thought I would throw my computer out the window.....bad, bad game....

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jun 25, 12 8:07 AM
Well, first let me say that I've read the book several times and have seen every movie made (in English) of the book, including the 1940 version with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson, the Colin Firth mini-series, and the Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen version. I've loved almost every Jane Austin I've read. I did not like this game and only managed to last about 10 minutes. Why? The dialogue between Mr. and Mrs. Bennet was terrific -- of course, it was out of the book, but it went on and on and on. The other dialogue included "O.K." and other modernisms which were just bizarre, the screen was letter box, so that the items (and I usually don't complain about the size of items) were tiny -- reminded me of the old days playing hidden object games online. Waiting for Mr. Bennet to stop speaking on the hint system was absurd, finding the pieces of Lizzie's diary was hard, since everything was so small; and Lydia's closet, once I had clicked enough times to figure out where the HOS scene was hidden, had a doll dressed like somewhere between 40-50 years in the future and the prominently featured red dress was sort of vaguely mid-century. Pride & Prejudice is set in the very early part of the 19th century. I don't need Mr. Darcy to look like Colin Firth in 1995, but I do require him to be at least moderately good-looking and sadly, he does look a bit like Mr. Collins, but the real killer was the endless dialogue (of a book I love, remember), the poor attempts to come up with other dialogue between other family members (Mrs. Bennet and Lydia, for instance), the attention to some details but not to others, and the just kind of clunky gameplay. This was a great idea, but needed a lot of editing and some careful consideration of how to shape the game. Oh, and if your object is to create an early 19th century feel, why regular piano music??

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 25, 12 8:42 AM
Sherryah wrote:
megwoman25 wrote:I really wish a developer would take a book like this and actually make it into a game worth playing. There are a few games like this that have come out where I really wanted to like it as I love the stories but the execution is just not there. In my opinion, if you are going to have lots and lots and lots of dialogue, it should be in voiceover form to make it more engaging or else I feel as though I am just reading a book and Id rather actually read this book than play this game because its what I am doing anyways. The hidden object scenes are terrible. Small items, hidden small items behind things and the font of the items bugs me. Maybe its because its all lower case or because it doesn't show you all of the items at once but scrolls through after you've found some. I think the developers need to go back to the drawing board on this one and make it more engaging, add some voiceovers or at least condensed dialogue and tweak the hidden object scenes. Then maybe, just maybe it will hold my interest a little more..until then...

I will not repeat what megawoman said because it is exactly the way I feel. I lose interest with out voice overs and if I want to read a book I would. This game is a no buy for me. I am so weary of hidden object games like the way this was done. ho hum bored nothing new to play or spend money on.

I agree with the above... yeesh, devs... why don't you take today's awesome graphics and SFX potential of recent 'hit' games and design them aroound classics such as Jane Austen or some of the other classics... then you'd have a real hit IMO.

I appreciate 'light and airy" and may buy this as a DD or with a credit, yet the pop up character interaction aspect is just SO unappealing and doesn't do the game , overall, justice. So much effort apparently was put into the gorgeous beginning live cut scene and H0G scenes settings yet the balance of the game is beyond basic gameplay features in every way.

Well, I hope this won't end the attempt at bringing us "light and airy", lol, and only a beginning to greater and bigger attempts.

Those of you enjoying the game, yay... kudos.. and maybe I may end up enjoying it more in times when I need to slow down and get centered with something more simplistic but I still hold out for better and more sophisticated enlightened, positive- appeal games.

Edited on 06/25/2012 at 8:46:02 AM PST

mehebert
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by mehebert on Jun 25, 12 12:22 PM
I played about 20 minutes of this game and the graphics are beautiful. That is the only good thing I can say. I don't post very often but felt I needed to on this one.
I have to agree with many others that this game is the most boaring game I have tried. Def. no buy. couldn't even finish the demo. The hint system really stinks because it doesn't help that much. There is way too much diolog. It could have been a really good game if done differently. I like some diolog in a game but also like a little action as well, This game doesn't have it.
Although some may like it, it def. isn't a buy for me. I deleted after 20 minutes, would have done this sooner but thought it might get better.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jun 25, 12 12:37 PM
Well I have to say that this game is quite nice, beautiful scenes, the dialogue can be sometimes overwhelming but the story is interesting.

I think the effort been put on matching the game to the novel should be commendable.

I truly enjoyed the demo.

I will have this game in my list of interesting games to play.

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 5:04:37 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jun 25, 12 1:09 PM
What a lovely game! I remember reading this story years ago, and through the years, watching various movie versions of it. It still remains one of my classic favorites.

The graphics are beautiful, and I do not mind reading all the dialogue, because I am a voracious reader anyway. I do not expect the game to follow every detail of the original book/story, because it is a game, but it does touch on the main points of the story, and thus, one gets the gist of same, even if they have never read the novel.

I find the game is not boring at all, with that said however, it does take patience. For gamers who prefer a lot of hand holding, and do not like to figure out what task to perform next, with little guidance as they proceed along, they won't like this game at all. There are no action fast paced bells and whistles either. Everyone drinks their own cup of tea, as for me, I like a lot of flavors in game genres.

I played only a few minutes of the demo, before deciding to use a game credit.

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 8:52:35 AM PST

Go to: