amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

In-Game Tips, Tricks, Hints, Comments, Suggestions to Developer, etc.

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 7:39 PM
First, for the in-game tips (I've only read 9 of them, I don't know if there are more & I've played this game a lot ):

"Upgrade the Strawberry to collect more coins."

"Place the Sundew before the attacking plants to increase the damage they cause." <-- I think this could be rephrased as "Place the Sundew before the attacking plants to give them more time to attack." (because to say that it "increases the damage" may be misconstrued as having the same effect as that of the chamomile)

"A little money may be earned by digging up a plant."

"To speed up, pause or slow down the game use the buttons in the "Speed" panel."

"Try to place your plants effectively, the more lane squares it embraces, the more damage it causes."

"The bomb will cause more damage to the enemy being used to attack the bugs that have been slowed-down by the Sundew." <-- this one is a bit confusing, usually the bomb will only take out two insects (sometimes more if its the worm, they're slow) & I didn't get this until I realized that a fully upgraded Sundew would really slow down the bugs & they'd get so close to each other that you can take out 4 or more; so I think this can be rephrased as something like "Eliminate multiple enemies by using the bomb on bugs that have been slowed-down by the Sundew."

"At the beginning of each level place plants closer to the garden - it will increase the time before the next wave and give you the opportunity to earn more money." <-- best tip of the game for me

"Upgrade plants to improve their attack."

"Before placing a plant, observe which kind of bugs will form the next wave." <-- another excellent tip

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

Re:In-Game Tips, Tricks, Hints, Comments, Suggestions to Developer, etc.

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 7:59 PM
Okay then, now that I've typed the in-game tips, here goes my rambling thoughts (in no particular order)

When I first started playing this game, I chose the private difficulty. I can safely say that I'm an above average gamer when it comes to the tower defense genre, but I have to say that this game is HARD. I've played Garden Defense/Garden Panic/Plants vs. Zombies (PC versions), Robo Defense/Tower Defense:Lost Earth (Android), Jelly Defense (iPad) just to name a few, & I couldn't believe it at first that I found this game harder compared to them.

But then I read the tip about placing your plants closer to the garden, and it changed my entire approach to the game. I'm used to playing tower defense games where you get your money from defeating the enemy, except for Plants vs. Zombies where you can have as much "money" depending on how many sunflowers you plant (so its entirely within your control) but here, you can't increase the number of strawberries you have, which reminded me of one the games I used to play way back when - Red Alert - where you can build as many/strong or as few weapons depending on the resources you have, again which reminded me of the Farm Frenzy games.

For those who are not familiar with the Farm Frenzy series, its a TM game, but its actually a game of strategy, you need to reach your goal, but you're only given limited resources.

So, I didn't think of Garden Rescue as just purely a tower defense game, but as a time management & resource management game as well. Tower defense because you need to defend your strawberries from the bugs; time management because you need time to increase your resources & lastly, resource management because you need to carefully consider what you spend your money on, like would it be better to upgrade an existing plant or buy another plant, etc.

After I realized that, this game just got easier for me

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 8:27 PM
Having said all that, the best tip I could probably give is to upgrade the strawberries as soon as you can; its resource management, you have to spend more to earn more In all modes of difficulty, you usually start out with 600 coins and two strawberries (later on you'll get three, then four strawberries). Upgrading them costs the same across all three modes, whereas the cost of the plants gets more expensive with each difficulty mode. Cost to upgrade the strawberry is 200 coins, then 400 coins for a 3-star/level 3 strawberry. At first I also didn't upgrade them to level 3, I felt that 400 coins can be better used to buy plants, but it pays off in the long run.

So, my next tip would be to do the math (I usually do the math when playing farm frenzy) for example, for levels where you're provided with 4 strawberries, you're going to spend 2,400 coins to upgrade them all fully to 3-stars/level 3. It may seem daunting at first, but an upgraded strawberry would also give you more coins. A level 1 strawberry gives you 50, level 2 gives you 90 & a level 3 gives you 130. So if you upgrade them fully, you'll get a total of 520 coins per cycle. And each cycle is approximately 28 seconds; so if you do the math, you'll have earned back the coins you spent in roughly 2 minutes or more. Think of it this way, you're investing, not spending coins Having more coins means you'll be able to afford the expensive upgrades, especially in general mode.

Another tip would be to pause the game when upgrading the strawberries. I don't know if its intentional from the developers that you can collect coins, place plants on your garden when you pause or not (because I've played a lot of tower defense games & you can't do anything when you pause the game) but if it is, then its nice to take advantage of this. I didn't realize this at first, (that you can do all that in pause mode) so this is where the "time management" comes in When you click on the coins to collect them, it doesn't immediately add to your total balance, there's a slight time delay, so to compensate for that you can pause the game; pausing all the time can be a bit of a bother, so for me, I usually only pause the game to upgrade the strawberries and to upgrade a plant in crucial moments.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 9:01 PM
Usually in other tower defense games, you defend your "camp" near the entrance, it doesn't make sense if you defend it close to your base, that way, if an enemy breaks through, you still have time to build a tower or what, but in Garden Rescue, the opposite is true. Like I've said, its not purely a tower defense game for me, so to give you more time, its best to place them close to the strawberries.

Whenever I start a level, I usually upgrade all the strawberries immediately if I can; and this is true in the early levels; in the later levels, I'd usually have all my strawberries upgraded to level 3 within 4 waves or more (on the average its 4, but I think I didn't get past the 8th wave without having all level 3 strawberries). The goal is to focus on your resources first, once that's out of the way, you can focus on your defense.

For most of the levels, during the first few waves, I'd only have like 2 to 3 plants while I'm upgrading my strawberries. Don't be afraid to experiment; a strategically placed pepper can take care of the first few waves alone; if it doesn't, since its still early, you can just restart (which I did often, so I can know the extent of the damage each plant causes ).

Sometimes, its also better if you place your plants close together rather than spaced out throughout your garden; I remember when playing level 16 that during the first wave, I placed a pea near the strawberries, then after that, I placed my plants at the center & focused there.

Which brings me to my next tip, sometimes, its okay to sell the first plant if you don't have any more use for it. I'm usually frugal with my resources when playing this game & I'm loathe to sell a plant because I've already spent coins on it, but again, in the long run, it pays off; sometimes the coins you'll get from selling that first plant can help you afford the pepper, or cactus, or pumpkin

And I'm going to follow that up with my next tip, if you have a pea or corn near the strawberries & you know the bugs won't be reaching them, sell them before buying another pea or corn because the price of the plant would revert back to last price.

For example, in general mode, the first pea would cost 300, then 325, the next is 400, then 525 & so on (325-300=25; 400-325=75; 525-400=125; so the next pea would be 700 - (125+50)+525=700). If you have 3 peas already, the next would cost 525, but if you sell 1 pea, the cost would revert to 400

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 10:27 PM
Take a look at the book & get to know the "enemy" & the plants as well. For example, during the first wave, if its a snail (its the weakest of them all, & they're slow), you can probably upgrade all your strawberries & wait for the next cycle before placing a plant. Knowing their "toughness" & speed would also help you with choosing your plants. For example, the most "dangerous" insect would be the spider & the runner; dangerous in the sense that they're really fast, especially the runner. They're not that tough, but they're fast, so if you see one in the next wave, its best to use a sundew.

Speaking of the spider & runner, if you have the spring & can't afford a sundew yet, its best to use it intervals for them; for example, if you have 2 springs, don't save it for last (this is if you feel that your existing plants can't handle them) if there are say, 8 spiders, use it on intervals, meaning use it on the 3rd spider & then on the 5th spider, that way there's a gap between them to give your plants some breathing room.

If you've noticed, your plants won't move on the 2nd bug until it has finished the first (unless its already out of its range) that's why using the spring on intervals is sometimes more effective than using it at the last possible moment.

Being familiar with the range, firing rate, damage each plant causes can be a big help. For example, the pumpkin is probably the most powerful plant, it even damages other insects in the group, but its firing rate is slow, so it won't be that effective on the spider & runner unless you put a sundew in front of it.

In the book, the description for the pepper is "The hot pepper will scorch ground beetles." I thought at first that it would only be more effective against beetles, but that's not true, a more accurate description would be that the pepper gradually damages the ground targets over time. Which is why sometimes its a favorite of mine & its best to place them near the entrance & not near the strawberries so that it'll have time to do its work.

The plant with the fastest firing rate or shots/second would have to be the corn, but the damage they cause, not so much when comes to the flying insects. Having one level 2 cactus is sometimes more effective than having one level 3 corn.

The firing rate of a level 1 cactus is a bit slower compared to the pea, but when its upgraded, its stronger than the pea I think.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 10:58 PM
Try to hold off on spending your coins all at once; just collect them and use as needed, look at the next 3 waves as a guide on whether to upgrade an existing plant or place a new plant. Sometimes I'd have like 2,000+ coins, but when the next wave is the big boss in the middle of the level, I'd spend it all at once & just like that, my money's gone

I also don't like to upgrade my plants to level 3 (maybe when there are only a couple of waves left), I feel like its better to have two level 2-peppers, two level-2 pumpkins than having 1 level-3 pepper & 1 level-3 pumpkin.

When I was playing the private & sergeant modes, I didn't use the chamomile at all, but when I played the general mode, I've been using them a lot. At first because I wasn't sure how strong my plants would be & I didn't feel like upgrading the chamomile (better to spend it on an attacking plant) but then, when I placed it in the middle of a couple of cactuses, I could see the effect (the cactuses dealt out more damage & amongst all the plants, has the widest range). Upgrading the chamomile also makes the plants within its range more powerful too.

For the lawn mower, if you can, use it to take out the next wave as well (if they're travelling along the same path). For example, if there are only 2 mantis left & you have a bomb & lawn mower, check to see the next wave & if you're sure its also taking the same path, use the lawn mower instead of the bomb.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 11:21 PM
For now, I can't think of any more tips

So on with my Comments & Suggestions to the Developer (there's no rhyme or reason here, I'm just typing it as it occurs to me, so bear with me pls):

At first, I didn't like how hard this game was at all; I actually stopped playing, I wanted to see if anyone has gotten all 30 levels with 3 stars on general before I decided to play again. I'm also like some of the players, I don't feel like watching the walkthroughs because I'd like to figure it out on my own. So maybe if you could dial down the difficulty of the private, because the easy mode should be, well, easy. I think for gamers new to this genre, they might get frustrated and give up & not bother at all.

Having said all that, when I've figured out the "trick" to beating this game, I love it! I've actually replayed it several times already, using a different mix of plants from the first time.

I hope that this won't just come out on iPad, but on the Android as well

For Garden Rescue 2 (I hope!), there should be an option to skip tutorial mode. I've already seen the tutorial mode in private, I don't need to see it again on sergeant & general.

I know that there's an option to play on windowed mode, but it doesn't support my screen size; my laptop's screen size is 15.6", I wish it'd support that .

I like that even when I'm using the game cursor & not the system cursor that there's no lag, in fact, controls are very responsive; there's no time lag even if I switch several times on the speed buttons. I also like the animation, where the hand looks like its grabbing something when its closing its fist & then letting go when I've placed a plant (I love that visual cue). I also like that there are clear spots where you can place your plant or put your spring & bomb.

I love this game way, way better than Garden Panic. The graphics are clearer & the plants are firing when they're supposed to fire & the effect/damage on the insects are constant. That's one thing I didn't like about Garden Panic; I play a level where I got the gold, but when I played it again using the exact same strategy, I would only get the bronze! In Garden Rescue, that doesn't happen, which is really good because it can be frustrating if you're replaying a level & find out that what you did the first half didn't work like it should when you replayed it.

For the in-game tips, maybe it should be included in the encyclopedia as well.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 25, 12 11:53 PM
I also like that it retains your highest rating; for example, I jumped from private to general but only got 1 star on general, then I played on sergeant & got 3 stars & on the map you can still see that I have 1 star on general.

I actually don't mind that I need to pick up the coins; in Plants vs. Zombies, you need to pick up the suns as well, so either the coins would be automatically collected or not is fine with me. In Jelly Defense, if you don't pick up the coins immediately, they'd disappear, but here they don't & I love that!

Also, although its stated in the book/encylopedia, I think it would be nice if you could quantify the range, shots per second or firing rate, strength/damage of each plant; that way, I'd really know for sure if the pumpkin is indeed more powerful than the pepper or if its just the same. If not quantify in numbers, maybe a bar or yardstick or graph?

I'd like an option where you could toggle on/off showing the health bar of the insects; also a switch where I can see or hide the range of all my plants, that way I can see which areas are "defenseless."

I'd also like to be able to choose an insect, & all my plants would target that insect. If a plant covers two paths, I couldn't control which insect it would select to attack first, so maybe if I could also choose just 1 plant & select which insect it wants to attack (I hope that's not confusing ).

Maybe an option where you can save your progress when exiting a level.

I also have a question, if a chamomile gets within a range of another chamomile, does it make it stronger too? How about for the plants, if I plant two chamomiles near the same set of plants, what's the effect? Just wondering.

What I also love about this game is that you can upgrade the plants immediately as soon as you have the coins available. In other tower defense games, they need to gain experience first before they can be upgraded.

I also don't think that there should be an option where you can move the plants; they're plants, you dig them up & you at least get money for digging them up, in Plants vs Zombies, you don't get any money for digging up plants.

I like it that even when a bug gets a strawberry but doesn't get it out in the garden, it still generates coins .

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 26, 12 12:26 AM
For levels 6,12, 18, 24 & 30, I felt like it shouldn't be part of the regular levels, they're more like challenges or mini-games or special missions.

Love the replayability of this game; that's value for my money. I also play iHOG, but after a couple of hours, you're done & since there's only one solution (you need to find this, do that only, etc). replaying it would basically mean just the same thing over again. Whereas here, you can play the game however way you like it, choosing your own plants, etc.

However, in my opinion, there's only a few trophies to get & some you get them automatically. How about having achievements? I played Plants vs. Zombies when it was first released but stopped after reaching my goal (1,000 flags on Survival Endless) but when I saw the "Game of the Year Edition" where there were achievements, I bought it too & played it again

Having achievements would mean that players would play it way after they finished the 30 levels & would create more "buzz" about the game. In fact, off the top of my head, I can think of some of the achievements already, ahem, here goes my list:

1. Achievement for calling an early wave.
2. Finishing the game with 3 stars on all difficulty modes (although there could be 3 separate trophies for this.)
3. Playing a level on General Mode without using the spring, bomb or lawn mower. (I've done this on several levels - 7, 8, 10, 13, 16, 29; I don't really like to depend on the gadgets but rather on the strength of the plants alone if I could & I think the gadgets provided for each level are sufficient)
4. Playing a level on General Mode without picking up the jewelry & without using the gadgets. (I've done this for levels 14, 15 & 17)
5. Finishing a level without pausing the game on General Mode.
6. Having 7 or more 3-star/level 3 plants on your garden at one time on General Mode (excluding the strawberries).
7. Having four 3-star/level 3 peppers or pumpkins on your garden in General Mode.
8. Finishing a level on General Mode using only the cactus (I did this for level 10).
9. Finishing a level without using the sundew (on 2nd thought, once you finish a level using only the cactus, you automatically get this achievement )
10. Using the bomb to take out 5 or more bugs at once.
11. Finishing a level on general with 3 stars on the 1st try.
12. Finishing a level on x2 speed from start to finish without pausing on General Mode.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 26, 12 12:51 AM
Continuation of my fantasy achievements :

13. Finishing a level on General Mode without upgrading any plants (except of course for those levels where upgrades are not yet available; I did this for level 9).
14. Using 1 spring on at least 2 bugs (I've seen it happen once, the worms or firebugs were rounding a turn & they were slowed down by a 3-star sundew)

That's it. I've been replaying the game & I've been amusing myself trying to come up with my own challenges. It would be nice if there really were achievements though. I know most players would keep playing to get them (adding more value to the game because of its replayability).

Last suggestion, how about an endless mode?

[Post New]by Smalldeveloper on Jun 26, 12 6:08 AM
Hi! Thanks for such a detailed review! Your tips are sure to be of great use to other players. And we, the developers, are just extremely pleased you’ve enjoyed our game.

Now let me answer some questions:
1) At the moment, the release of Garden Rescue 2 is not being discussed, but we’re going to release iPad and Android versions in approximately 2 or 3 months.

2) If the attacked plant is surrounded by more than one chamomile, their activities are summed up. For instance, if there’re two 1st level chamomiles growing near the pea, than it adds 2*15% to the attack.
And if there’re 4 3-level chamomiles, 4*45% will be added to the attack.
The chamomiles do not affect each other or sundews.

amby0625
Clownfish
Clownfish
511 Posts

[Post New]by amby0625 on Jun 26, 12 6:17 PM
Smalldeveloper wrote:
1) At the moment, the release of Garden Rescue 2 is not being discussed, but we’re going to release iPad and Android versions in approximately 2 or 3 months.

2) If the attacked plant is surrounded by more than one chamomile, their activities are summed up. For instance, if there’re two 1st level chamomiles growing near the pea, than it adds 2*15% to the attack.
And if there’re 4 3-level chamomiles, 4*45% will be added to the attack.
The chamomiles do not affect each other or sundews.

Oooh, can't wait for the iPad & Android release my brother only plays on his iPad & we're always competing against each other when it comes to games

its good to know that having 2 or more chamomiles would strengthen the surrounding plants more, can't wait to try this out. Thanks for answering my question!

[Post New]by Clematis_es on Jun 28, 12 11:20 AM
Thank you ever so much for a most wonderful and entertaining game. I've played through the 3 levels of difficulty, achieving 3 stars except for General, level 22. I'll keep at it.
Do, do consider bringing out a Garden Rescue 2.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jul 26, 12 5:56 PM
Awesome work, amby0625. If I'd read your tips I'd have finished the game in half the time! But I like to find my own solutions.

Regarding extra challenges: I've completed all levels gadgetless with General three star excluding the conveyor belts between levels 1 and 19 so far. Level 20 I'm at gadgetless General two star -- just one shielded mantis got through on the last wave. I also did levels 28 and 29 gadgetless General three star.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jul 27, 12 2:42 AM
I think I can clear up the difference between pepper and pumpkin. It is their rate of fire. The average damage (damage over time) for the pumpkin is greater than the pepper. But, the pumpkin rate of fire is so slow that some enemies get less than the average, some more, so a fast-moving enemy like a spider may just sneak through past a pumpkin (without sundew) whereas with the pepper the fire rate is so fast as to be continuous, so the damage (not counting the first and last of a line of enemies, who get more damage) is distributed more evenly, so no spider will survive if the average damage is enough to kill them. That means using pepper early can save you against spiders, but in the long run, with sundew up, you want the more powerful pumpkin. The pumpkin advantage increases with upgrades and upgraded sundew since slowed enemies bunch up so the pumpkin area effect damages more enemies, whereas the pepper only hits one enemy. All of which means you may want to replace your peppers with pumpkins (by selling them first) later in the level when you can afford it.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: In-Game Tips, Tricks, Hints, Comments, Suggestions to Developer, etc.

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 1, 12 9:55 PM
I've never seen a more useful and informative thread than this--not even the long ones I've written myself! ;->

My grateful thanks to y'all, esp. the developer for the quantifications.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: In-Game Tips, Tricks, Hints, Comments, Suggestions to Developer, etc.

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 3, 12 6:28 PM
3 + 3 > 7. "Try to place your plants effectively, the more lane squares it embraces, the more damage it causes." But at Level 3, e.g., a single Corn plant placed in the middle of the narrow vertical stripe, where it commands 3 squares on the left and 3 on the right, can take out the entire first flying wave. One placed at the tip of the horizontal tongue, targeting 7 squares, can't quite do that.

Close counts, but ... "At the beginning of each level place plants closer to the garden - it will increase the time before the next wave and give you the opportunity to earn more money." True. Often a good strategy.

But sometimes--again, at Level 3, playing as the General--other criteria overwhelm. I found you don't need to play exactly as in the video walkthru (as I'm sure its creator would be the first to admit), but initially setting up my pea plants on the garden end of the path failed, despite every contrivance I could devise, to leave enough money that I could take out the Boss after taking out the previous wave of ground-crawlers.

Not by much, but by enough. Unless my Peas got two bites at that stream by being on the vertical stripe, they needed to be upgraded more, and that was fatal.

Edited on 09/03/2012 at 9:49:07 PM PST

Go to: