bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Night In The Opera

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 27, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Night In The Opera? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Night In The Opera page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 06/27/2012 at 12:43:03 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Night In The Opera

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jun 27, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jun 27, 12 1:17 AM
I don't really like this type of game as a general rule, in fact I rarely even play the demos. I have to say, though, that I like this one more than most. It was kind of different. Not difficult, but had an interesting variety if tasks.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jun 27, 12 2:04 AM
Based on the demo:

A very unusual game here that requires a good deal of patience to understand what is going on. Basically, you need to keep playing M3 levels to open up other things, such as puzzles and HOS. But once I figured out what to do, the payoff was great.

The game features very nice graphics, especially in the HOS, and, for that matter in the M3 boards.

You must clear M3 boards to earn money for power-ups and items necessary to progress in the game. I'm not a fan of M3 at all (only because I'm probably the worst M3 player in the entire pond), but I like this one because it has a point to it----to move along in the game.

And by declicking the widescreen option the game stretches to fill my screen.

The story appears to be a run-of-the-mill murder mystery, but who knows what twists may yet come.

There is a lot of nice music in the game, all operatic. And you can go to a special music room to listen to more opera music as the game progresses----a different take on achievements.

I will buy this game because it is so very different than most, and I like the challenge. (And as slow as I am on M3, it will take me a long time to play ) It takes a good deal of getting used to, but I like it! Good job, devs. (And thanks for the WS option. )

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Jun 27, 12 7:44 AM
The graphics in Night in the Opera are excellent. The puzzles are doable and the HOS are fine. However, I found the match 3 to be ultra boring. Add to that the background music of Jazz (in a game about opera) was both confusing and added to the boredom. There is nothing worse than quiet, repetitious music to really make you feel like nodding off.

I didn't complete the demo because it was just not sufficiently interesting to keep me involved.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jun 27, 12 8:33 AM
Very clever game. A mixture of HO and M3. I am buying this game after only a few minutes of play. I thought the graphics were really beautiful. I like the idea of searchinng for clues to open up new doors and going to the M3 to earn bonuses.
Thanks Developers and BF!

TexasAnn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by TexasAnn on Jun 27, 12 9:51 AM
Ugh. I didn't like this game at all. I felt as though I was stuck in Match 3 heck. I played 45 minutes of the demo, which was enough for me.

The graphics were very crisp. The one hidden object game I played was of medium difficulty, but objects were easy to find. There was a little bit of interaction within the HO scene.

If a person enjoys Match 3, I believe he would really like this game.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 27, 12 10:39 AM
I usually don't like to post reviews after only playing the demo, but I feel in this case I must. I'm afraid this isn't a buyer for me. I generally enjoy Match 3 games, but this one is a bit tedious. It is also part of an adventure, HOS game and the combo of all three is a bit confusing since you gather not only inventory items, but bonus items and what appears an assortment of other things without a great deal of instruction as to where they go or what to use them for. I even did something I never do and that was use the tutorial and it still was not all that clear. I nearly fell asleep doing one of the repetative Match 3 games . The game just doesn't move along...

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 27, 12 11:14 AM
I didn't expect too much after reading the reviews and comments, but this game kept me going. I usually know within a few minutes of play whether I want to buy or not, and I got so involved playing this one that I almost forgot to stop and buy I like an M3 now and then, and I don't have difficulty distinguishing between the masks on this one. The HOS are just clever enough to be a bit of a challenge, and though the story line is moving slowly, I expect it to pick up as the game moves on. I do think this one was miscategorized though, as it is mainly an M3 with a few hos and puzzles thrown in. I have played a few others similar and this one does appear to be well done, for what it is. I am not a huge opera fan, and the two albums I have opened up so far didn't do it for me. But the graphics are good, and the back ground music, which I have on low, isn't bad. Off now to play some more and see what else unfolds.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Jun 27, 12 11:18 AM
I do not like the play 3 part of this game. I do not recommend it for purchase. I think it would have been much better if it had been hidden object only. I give it thumbs down!

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on Jun 27, 12 11:28 AM
From the description, I was pretty sure that I'd be buying this game -- my two favorite types combined in one. How great is that? Not very. The Match 3 sections were boring and the HOG sections suffered, as most do these days, from a lack of clever object hiding and substituting the darkness of the scene for creatively hiding the objects. Not buying this one, that's for certain.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 27, 12 12:21 PM
I like the occasional match 3 game and I thought this might have potential. I was wrong...it was boring. Graphics were lovely though.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jun 27, 12 12:25 PM
Played the demo hour; not too bad a game, but definitely a match three; the hidden objects scenes are sparse. (only 1 in the demo) with the match 3 play, the rest goes much too slowly, Match 3 folks will love it, but for the rest of us, not so good.

Celticcco

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jun 27, 12 12:55 PM
This one is certainly a mystery wrapped in a conundrum wrapped in a riddle...I will be buying because the darn thing has me curious! If I were in my right mind that probably would make this a no buy - but I love a good mystery - the story itself may or may not provide that - but figuring out how this mix n match of M3 meets H0A sure does!

The graphics are stunning! The M3 is a bit clunky at times, I keep moving masks I don't mean to move lol. Total love & props to whomever can manage to put out a Walkthrough on this bad boy! I'm a maniacal game player & so far I'm pretty much flying blind on this game & the Hint button is proving pretty useless outside of the H0 scenes.

I know this reads like a bad review - but I really DO find this game intriguing! If you aren't a fan of "hand holding" take this one for a spin!!

Happy gaming!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 27, 12 1:20 PM

Hmmm veeeeerrrrry interesting : a true mix of genres for sure and absolutely no hand holding (I like).

Well, this one's a definite buy for me.... it's 'different' and the graphics are very nice... music pleasant and to top if off, it's a spooky detective mystery [without any interactive occult for those wondering.. none in the demo, anyway].

Well worth a credit for sure if only in the end for the curiosity factor; yet I think this may be a really good little 'tween' game when all is said and done.

Enjoy!

~Fortunatus

Based on demo only.

Edited on 06/27/2012 at 1:29:49 PM PST

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jun 27, 12 1:49 PM
I played 59 minutes of demo and then bought. I've added about another hour of play since then. This is primarily a match three. There are very few puzzles or hidden object scenes. You are aso left very much on your own to figure out how things work. Do click around for clues. There is a ? in the upper left corner of the hallway scenes. The explains what some of the objects are for. When you con't find anything else to do, go play more match 3 boards. I found this game very intriguing because it doesn't follow the usual formulas for any of the genres.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 27, 12 3:12 PM
Didn't know if I was going to like this game or not, but I was surprised and I do like it. Like the M3 game play and music you can change. Like that you can buy bonus objects and the mystery story haven't really got into it yet. A different game with twists and turns and by golly I think I will buy it..

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jun 27, 12 4:09 PM
Where to start?

First, the game is not HOPA, as it's stated in the description. It's a Match 3, no question about it. In the demo version, I counted only two (maybe three?) Hidden Object scenes. As for puzzle, I would hardly count doing an activity (mixing the chemicals) as a puzzle.
The graphics were good, but not outstanding. There is almost no adventure (aside from the intro, you barely progress in the so-called murder mystery).

Also, the developers don't seem to be native English speakers, because in the two pages of the journal included in the game, I caught a lot of grammatical errors. I knew that the title was a bit off (should have been Night at the Opera, instead of Night in the Opera) but didn't know that the game was like that. It really annoyed me that half the time I was trying to guess what the heck they wrote. There is no voice-over, which means that any dialogue is written. Normally, that's no big deal, if the game is well done, but in this case, it only added to the frustration.

I will pass on this one. It could have been a great Hidden Object game, with the added bonus of match 3 (which I don't mind every now and then), but the developers simply screwed it up. Perhaps if it's offered as a daily deal or catch of the week at some point, I may consider it.

pilimai729
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by pilimai729 on Jun 27, 12 5:17 PM
Thank you all who pointed out the M3's. I like al lthe varieties of ho's such is frogs, buckets, etc. But as I always tell my daughter, if I wanted to play m3, I'd buy an m3

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Jun 27, 12 6:27 PM
What a wonderful game! The music is lovely and the artwork rich and colourful, especially love the masks on the Match 3s. The items in the hidden object scene I did in the demo were appropriate and challenging but not really difficult to find, I gave myself points for knowing what they meant by pointes

The Match 3 play was a little different for me, not sure how but I was having a bit of trouble getting the tiles to match the way I was hitting them ... probably just me. They move nice and fast and there is a timer thank goodness.

After one false start and reading the other reviews I went back and created a new profile and used the tutorial ... haha I still dunno what I'm doing! This is a good thing, I like the game quite well enough to want to poke and prod and spend some time figuring it out.

Now even though I would always prefer a straight Match 3 I have to give this game a big recommendation!

Go to: